The over 40 Disney Crowd

I wasn't laughing at the original post, I was laughing at the post I replied to. Commiserating with accepting being 40.

But nice try.

Aww I'm sorry... She was laughing at my post as the OP reminded me of my horrid yearly physical I had yesterday & as I am now 40. I didn't mean to make light as I truly understand how things change w/our bodies. I do feel bad. I wish the OP has a fantastic time during her trip & some of the advice given is wonderful, I too picked up a few tips.

I'm old...period. And not that sort of old at 40+. Will be 64 this weekend!!! I've been going to WDW since I was 50! Okay...those first years were deadly!! I'm not hugely overweight, could stand to drop about 20 lbs, but that's not a big deal. Those early years were torture when I woke up the first few mornings in WDW...I was darn near paralyzed. My legs/feet hurt so badly it was hard to walk. I learned that lesson and now walk a lot more at home!!!
I have lower back issues, so need to be careful. I found that Crocs worked best for my feet but finally got tired of having Mickey Mouse feet!! So, last May, I didn't take my regular Crocs with me. I took a pair of birkenstocks and my Teva Mushes with me. Well, after 5 days my feet were, again, killing me. So, it was off to the gift shop and got a pair of Mickey Crocs. But, my feet felt better immediately!! They were fine for the rest of my trip.
I have very high arches....so I have to have as much cushioning as possible. Only the Crocs do that for me.
I just had to go to the podiatrist for a foot issue....he told me that the Croc sandals I had on were perfect for my feet. If I wear them, my feet are fine and my lower back doesn't bother me nearly as much.
Just wish the shoes were a bit more attractive!!

You are absolutely right. I love CROCS, but why couldnt they make them more attractive. They look like you put a big old club on your feet to walk around in:rotfl::rotfl:

i agree with rotating shoes... never wear the same pair 2 days in a row. and i'm not too good to admit it... i take an aleve now and then while there. have a great time!!

Addressing your back pain...

The shoe inserts that have been recommended can help.
Remembering to stand with proper posture can help.
Actively engaging your core can help.
Stretching your back periodically can help.
Shifting your weight from foot to foot (stork standing) can help.
Not holding the same standing position for too long can help.
Stretching your hips periodically can help.
Changing your shoes can help.
Icing your back can help reduce the inflammation that contributes to the pain.

In your hotel room, after a long day on your feet:

Stretch (be sure your muscles are warm before stretching). Specifically, stretch your spine to try to decompress it and open it up. Yoga poses like cat, cow, and cobra can be very helpful. I'm sure there are others.

Use a "roller of pain" (hard foam roller) or "The Stick" (runners use it. It's more packable than the foam roller). You want your leg muscles to stay as supportive as possible.

This...

Great advice from everyone. In addition to all that (not as a substitution), you may want to medicate....

A few years back I started asking my doctor when I had an upcoming trip to give me something because my back and ankles were killing me by the end of each day. He asked me how long the trip was and prescribed me Percocet for the duration of my trip. Now, I take it with me every time I go.

Makes you pee a lot, but you won't feel any pain!

Oh, not so sure I would advise that. You can easily take some over the counter meds like Advil or Aleve and get the same results without having a heavy prescribed medicine to worry about.

We, just over the age of 50, take a couple of Aleve before we leave the room in the morning and then have two more each if we need them during the day. Works very well. We wear the same pair of sneakers the entire time since they fit our feet and we don't have a different walk on a different day. We also take breaks in the park, even just to have a beverage and be on a bench.

Sorry if I repeat some suggestions but reading 3 pages on shoe tips ain't my idea of fun.
To me it doesn't matter the brand just find the most comfortable tennis shoe that you can and buy it at least a month before the trip. I also get the cut to size shoe inserts and stick them in. All those orthopedic inserts don't do jack for me, it's all about getting more cushion in the shoe.
I'd walk 2-4 miles a day for three to four days a week before the trip (don't forget to stretch). Walking more days a week will not give your muscles a chance to heal. Take a good multi and omega 3 vitamin daily. These will help build your muscles, bones and make your skin more resistant to sunburns.
Two weeks before the trip up the miles to 4-5 and add an extra walking day (4-5) that week. On one of your last walking days, stay on your feet for the entire day.
The last week before the trip relax. This gives your muscles ample time to heal. Don't do any exercises that will tire you out at all. Just stretching and maybe a handful of jumping jacks here and there, this should keep your bone density up.
Always makes me feel like a new man...

I'm "only" 36 but I'm pooh sized..... and by pooh sized I mean really fat. I've found that between compression socks and 2 pairs of Merril hiking shoes my feet and ankles are ok. The only problem I have is lower back pain from standing still.

Before my next trip I'm going to start walking at least a mile a day to shave off some of the fluff. Hopefully that will help the back problems.

I agree with those who have said that it is not your age, it is how well you take care of your body. I am 46, my wife is 48 - neither of us has half the problems that our teenaged sons have in WDW. We exercise every day - they do not.

I agree with those who have said that it is not your age, it is how well you take care of your body. I am 46, my wife is 48 - neither of us has half the problems that our teenaged sons have in WDW. We exercise every day - they do not.

I am all for this! As a nurse, I see so many people who are simply out of shape, and smoke and overeat and are lazy...and sadly it really does affect your entire life and day. You get anemic, out of breath easily, tire easy and then comes the aches and pains of your joints and muscles saying "oh boy!"

I am not overly fluffy but I am not in shape. I am 47 and luckily I am able to keep up at Disney. I have worn my aesics the top of the line ones. and I use the same brand socks..brand new each trip and I have NEVER had a blister. But many times I ache, and I have nothing to blame but my eating habits and my laziness.

(as a nurse) My HUGEST suggestion I can make to anyone is dont smoke..if you already are addicted , cut back and hopefully quit. I cant begin to tell you how you will save your life and enjoy more trips to Disney if you do. And you wont have to drag an oxygen tank with you everywhere you go!
smoking will kill, it isn't a matter of maybe, it WILL and until it does it will simply make your life difficult and miserable
Now I don't want people to dog pile about the evil smokers at Disney..that is NOT my point!
our weight and health and exercise tolerances are what we make of it(unless you have a circumstance beyond your control)

I am proud that just recently I found a local group that is doing a "from the couch to 5K "and I have joined! Today I ran 1/2 mile and walked 2 miles..3 weeks ago I couldn't even run 100 yards. No amount of good shoes and socks would have changed how out of shape I was.
Even if all you do is start exercising from your computer chair..just do it..anything more than you did before is a positive..grab it..and then be proud and head to Disney!!!

(as a nurse) My HUGEST suggestion I can make to anyone is dont smoke..if you already are addicted , cut back and hopefully quit. I cant begin to tell you how you will save your life and enjoy more trips to Disney if you do. And you wont have to drag an oxygen tank with you everywhere you go!
smoking will kill, it isn't a matter of maybe, it WILL and until it does it will simply make your life difficult and miserable
Now I don't want people to dog pile about the evil smokers at Disney..that is NOT my point!
our weight and health and exercise tolerances are what we make of it(unless you have a circumstance beyond your control)

I am proud that just recently I found a local group that is doing a "from the couch to 5K "and I have joined! Today I ran 1/2 mile and walked 2 miles..3 weeks ago I couldn't even run 100 yards. No amount of good shoes and socks would have changed how out of shape I was.
Even if all you do is start exercising from your computer chair..just do it..anything more than you did before is a positive..grab it..and then be proud and head to Disney!!!

If someone is having a problem with lack of energy and no stamina, I highly suggest continuing to try and find a solution. As I stated earlier, in a few days I will be 65. I have noticed since I retired at 62 that I had slowly been getting less and less energy or desire to do anything and what I did do was an absolute expenditure of energy.

I, years ago, smoked pretty heavily, but hadn't for a long time. In April this year, I had a bad case of Bronchitis. I found myself coughing constantly and at one point started to have trouble getting air in. I went to the ER where it was determined that I had COPD (chronic bronchitis). They gave me a couple of inhalers. One for regular use and another as a rescue. I started using them immediately plus a session of antibiotics. Within a week, I could not believe how much better I felt. I had energy again. I was going out and playing 9 holes of golf 2 times a week and 18 on the weekend. I stated walking more and even decided to get a part time job to keep myself amused. What a difference and I didn't have a clue that I had this problem. What other symptoms I did have I blamed on allergies even though I never had allergy problems in the past. Currently, I have not had to use the regular inhaler and haven't needed the rescue since about two days after I got it. I apparently was not getting enough oxygen. Who knew! Seriously, I didn't know I had a problem until I stopped having it and then it became very clear. Modern medicine can be incredible.

My point of telling this story is even though I said that aging will take its toll, it shouldn't be a situation that stops you in your tracks, especially if you are healthy otherwise. If you are feeling that way, keep trying to find out if there is another reason for how you feel. It might even just be depression brought on by thinking you're old. ::yes::

We are in our upper 50s and this is our fourth year in a row returning to Disney world. Our best solution for feeling great is to go to the parks early . Continue until a couple of rides after lunch. Return to the resort for swimming & / or a short nap( no longer than 20 minutes to refresh). A nice cool drink doesn't hurt! This makes us feel so good. It cools us down. We shower & then return to a park for the evening for a nice dinner & more park time with fireworks. We love this plan & it works for us. pixiedust:

Way over 40 and I go every year. I'm not terribly fit though I do walk every night, at least when the humidity is below 150%! I take a couple pairs of flip flops, walk all day & well into the night. Have never had sore feet. Just lucky I guess

53, no problems here. Go a few times a month. Heat and humidity are my friends. I can go all day. No problem. I guess I'm lucky that way. Shoes, Airjordans. Love them.

I'm 48 (49 in a week or so) and have several "over 40" WDW trips under my belt. If I have a little soreness in my legs, a Tylenol or two takes care of that real easily. My energy levels are good.

The one thing that has gotten noticeably more aggravating as I age is the way my knees rattle and knock n Space Mountain. I am 6'3" so it never has been an easy fit, and is even more uneasy as I age. I usually ride it just once per trip these days.

i can SOOO relate to this... I am 41, and in the world right now. Got here yesterday and my feet are swollen and hurting so badly right now been back in the room resting for about 2 hours now and they still hurt.. :( ...

So much so that I dont even want to walk to the smoke spot and a have a cig, or get a drink..lol

think disney is missing out on a HUGE market by not selling inserts in the stores..lol

But tomorrow we are heading to MK, and I think i will wear my crocs... with SOCKS.. lol

my tag is wrong we are in the world now .. not next year.. ha hah

fuzzylogic said:
I don't know if this is the right place to post this; I do know there is an Disney World thread for adults, but I'm not really talking about activities, I'm talking about pain! LOL

My first trip to WDW I was 26 it was a breeze. This trip I'm 43. I went to WDW 2 years ago when I was 41 and it almost killed me! Throw in the fact that I was out of shape. Not really over-weight by much, but definitely out of shape.

To prepare for this trip, over the last few weeks, I've been trying SEVERAL pairs of shoes. So far I have them narrowed down to Brooks Glycerin and New Balance 880. Good lightweight shoes that have decent cushioning. Also, I've been wearing Wright socks for about a decade. Those socks are double lined so as to cut down on blisters.

Anyway, last trip, no blisters but my feet and back were killing me! I guess it's the downside to getting older. It's funny, I have now become what I used to make fun of when I was young.... "Ain't no way I'm going to be like my parents"! - "Wow, look at that old guy... I'm NEVER going to be that old!". I wish I could travel back in time and slap myself upside the head.

Anyway, does anyone have good tips for people going to Disney that are over 40? I've thought about grabbing some Epsom salt and soaking my feet every night. I've never done that, so I don't know if it works that great.

I have been walking 3 miles a day in my neighborhood for the last couple of weeks (I have 2 more weeks until we leave for the Mouse House), I'm hoping that walking in the evening helps, but I don't know how much it will. I just got back from my walk a few minutes ago and I'm beat! Maybe I should've started walking last December.

Also, with walking in the evenings (about a month out), I know isn't representative of how my days will be spent at WDW. After all, the time will be longer, the distance will be farther, and we'll spend a lot of time standing.

Anyone start walking in preparation for the trip? And did it help?

I figure advil will help, but any other tips would be appreciated!

My family made the mistake of buying brand new sneakers before our trip and it killed us to, myself (44), DW, (40). We had walked every night as a family for almost a month leading up to it, but not in our new shoes. I later was told that new shoes need to be "broken in" to help soften them and make them more comfortable. My wife came up with the idea the next time we go she will carry travel size baby powder or lotion so we can rub them on our feet through out the day.

I'm 42 and I broke my foot and had surgery on it 4 years ago.It has never totally healed from soft tissue damage. I have many days where my foot hurts so the WDW trips have been challenging. One thing that really helps me is that I have custom made inserts for my sneakers(insurance paid for them). Also, if you have foot problems the worst thing you can do is walk around in bare feet, especially on hardwood or tile floors. For summer trips I can't wear sneakers as they are too hot so I have teva sandals. They are ugly but are waterproof and give my feet support.
I walk everyday either a mile or mile and a half so I think I am in OK shape for my age.

I think to make it through the park no matter your age is to listen to your body and not expect miracles. If the furthest you walk in a day is from your car to your front door-then why would you expect to do a marathon at Disney? If you have health issues-the same.

I am 56 and in decent condition but my hubby who is 61 has had a knee and hip replacement and an liver transplant. We know his limitations and plan our days around that-no rushing around have an afternoon break and a drink and entertainment at night

I'm a diabetic, and my first trip to WDW in decades was 3 years ago (43yo). I got blisters on my feet the very first day although I brought comfortable shoes I had owned forever. When I got back and saw the doc he almost flipped. Then they got infected and they said amputation might be necessary! (My regular doc was on vacation and this guy was a jerk).

Anyway, they sent me to a podiatrist. He looked at my feet and then told me what kind of shoes I had been wearing even before he looked at them. Turns out, for me, wearing slip on shoes (crocs and loafers) caused rubbing in the hot Florida August humidity. He told me what type of shoes to buy (lace ups - for me New Balance diabetic running and walking shoes) and what local place to get them. I also ordered some non-blister socks online. The next year I wore the new socks and the broken in sneakers. Not one blister. Same thing happened when I went to Disneyland last year. No foot problems.

So, my advice is to see a doc and get their advice. Everyone's feet are different and we have varied needs. I winced at how much my new shoes cost me, but in the end they have been worth every penny.

First, 40 is not even close to being old. I'm 56 and just back from 5 days at Disneyland going commando for 14 hours a day.

I took 6 pairs of shoes, because I'm never sure what's going to be comfortable. Also changing shoes during the day really makes a difference. It's so much easier to back to the room at Disneyland.

Also I try to work in a good stretch in the morning and again later in the day.

I wish I could find a way to walk as much in real life as I do at Disney. My extra 20 pounds would history.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter