*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

One week from this moment we should be taking off for Orlando! I am back in obsessive tweaking mode with ADRs and FP. In kind of a miracle, I was able to get our late addition to our party on all but a few of our planned FP rides with us by using her FP to find times that overlap with our window or knowing that my parents won't go on the ride and that she can use one of their magic bands. For five days of FP planned over 60 days ago with the CL FP extras, I think that's pretty good! We were able to split our Chef Mickey's ADR into two smaller tables and they hopefully can put us next to each other. I'm a little nervous about that because it will be the first time DD sees Mickey and I DO NOT want to miss that moment or see it from across the room, and I know my mom and DH feel the same way. I just keep reminding myself that we will make it work and that I can't obsessively plan every second (OR CAN I?) Wish I could hit fast forward on the week!

For a 7am opening they were letting people in a half hour early. They have also done this with Pandora. The two times I have been to WDW this year, they let us in at AK around 30 minutes before park opening. Not sure if that is still the case.

Thanks for the info! I just heard from a friend who is down there now and said she was let in at 6:30 a day or two ago.

Update from the Magic Kingdom today!
We woke up at 6:00am / then woke up kids around 6:30am. We were at bus stop by 6:55am and a bus arrived at 7:10am. We are getting our bus at the main (South Depot) at PORS. We arrived at the Magic Kingdom and were through bag check by about 7:35am and they let us on Main Street at 7:45am. We had BOG breakfast reservations at 8:10am and we walked right in early as we had pre-ordered. Food was at our tables by 8:05am- we sat in the West Wing. Dark but interesting. We've sat in all of the rooms a couple of times each and this is the one our DD's like best. After breakfast, we lined up at Mine Train around 8:40am. We were let on Mine Train about 8:55am. When we got off, people were just starting to come in from the welcome castle show. Next we rode Peter Pan and then Haunted Mansion. We then used FP+ at BTMRR and FP+ at Splash Mt. Then we rode Pirates and got Dole Whip floats. So good! Next we went to Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, Buzz Lightyear and then DD's used FP+ and rode Space Mt twice using their magic bands and then our magic bands - while they did Space DH and I saw Carousel of Progress and did People Mover. Next we saw Mickey's Philarmagic and rode Small World. Then we had a 2:00pm lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. This was new for us but it will not be our last time here! The colony salad was awesome!! (other family members had the fish and chips and the burger - all great. They were planning on the Patriot Platter but weren't hungry enough for an AYCE). But, the star of the show was the ooey gooey toffee cake ... AMAZING!Service was fantastic. On the way out of the park we shopped at the Emporium and filled up our refillable popcorn bucket. We were back at PORS in our room just before 4pm. There is currently a storm outside- thunder/lightning/rain, so we timed it right! We are at the resort tonight to rest and swim. Tomorrow is even earlier as we are going to try to get to TSL at DHS. I'm hoping to find out if they're letting people in at 6:30am or not until later. I've heard reports of both. I will try to report back tomorrow with our experience.

Wow! Sounds like a great day! You hit all our favorites! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the info! I just heard from a friend who is down there now and said she was let in at 6:30 a day or two ago.
Re DHS / TSL: From what I know, they have been letting people tap in around 6:30am and then holding them at the main area (near the Trolley Car / Sunset Blvd corner) until 6:45am. But, my brother was there mid-July and they were letting them on TSL rides by 6:30am! Best to get there early I'd say if you / your children are able to wait, just in case. We have one more DHS day and might just use the SDD FP we have and stand by TSM rather than do another super early morning. Two rides on Aliens yesterday was enough for us. TSL is very cute- small but cute. I feel like this was a nice addition to the park but Pandora was way bigger, and I think Star Wars Land will be even bigger again.
We are doing AK tomorrow and will try to get there early. I will report back to let people know our experience with rope drop.

We leave in a few days! I’m loving all of the live reports!
I wasn’t able to snag a SDD or saucers FP because it was such a last minute trip. Does anyone know what the evening emh waits are like for TSL?
I’m hoping to hit FOP in the morning too. Does anyone know what those waits have been like?

We leave in a few days! I’m loving all of the live reports!
I wasn’t able to snag a SDD or saucers FP because it was such a last minute trip. Does anyone know what the evening emh waits are like for TSL?
I’m hoping to hit FOP in the morning too. Does anyone know what those waits have been like?
During a regular close (10:30 pm) we were able to ride Aliens at around 9:40 with a 15 minute wait. The wait time for TSM was around 20 I think (we had a FP for it). Didn't look at the Slinky time though.

I checked with the Contemporary and she can crash in our room for $35 a night, which didn't seem terrible (compared to adding her to our package which would cost like a million dollars)
They said unless she’s actually on our package (room, tickets, and dining plan), she can only stay with us as a “day guest” and register at the hotel when we are there. So the ME won’t have her as part of our group.
So Disney let you add an adult but not put them on the package? I never knew that was an option, I always thought everyone in the room had to be on the same package. Seriously always learning on the DIS.

10 day mark!!! I can officially start checking the weather for our trip! :p
lol that is my favorite part about the 10 day countdown too.

It's a good thing I start packing so early because I always manage to feel pressed for time right before the trip anyway.

Oh and UGH I cannot believe we skip the DDP this trip and they have cute seasonal mugs. Oh well - just have to get a popcorn bucket I guess lol

Day 6... at Animal Kingdom this morning (with a regular 9am open). Got to PORS bus stop at 8:01am. Board said 'next bus 8:07am ... a few minutes later it said 8:27am, so I think it was probably full after a few earlier stops at PORS (we are at the south depot, the main but final pick up spot). Luckily there was a CM at the buses and he called for another bus. We were on the bus and moving by 8:15am and at AK by 8:35am. We used to be at the front of every rope drop line, but the more we go, the less we need to rush to each ride. We still totally see the value of being at park before rope drop, and I would recommend this to anyone who was new to Disney, but we're really trying to just be more relaxed this trip and manage our FP's well. We are here for 2 weeks, so if we miss something, it's ok as we can come back to it another day. Bag check was long but it moved fairly quickly. They had a lot of stations open. No problem getting through tapstile and on our way at Navi (we had a FP for FoP). People had already been let into parks. We walked onto Navi with no wait (45 min wait posted at FoP and when we got off Navi the FoP was 60minutes posted time). We then rode Safari stand by, then used FP for FoP at this point it said 135 minute standby, but I didn't think it looked like it was really 2+ hours), then saw Festival of the Lion King. Love FOTLK so much! The Tumble Monkeys were awesome- last year one was absent so they didn't do their usual act- this year we saw them in action and they are so entertaining. Shopped a bit then went to Rainforest Cafe for lunch. We are Landry members and used our birthday rewards (2 of us have August birthdays) which made for an inexpensive lunch. Servings are huge here. We had 3 meals between the 4 of us and still left food on the table. DH and I went back to resort while DD's stayed and used FP's for Dinosaur and Everest. Back at hotel now ... will likely swim and have supper at PORS food court. DD wants to try a surrey bike, so might try it tonight. Tomorrow we are at EPCOT and have a late breakfast at Garden Grill. We like to have 10:30am breakfasts to have a little break after riding early and it keeps us full until dinner.

So Disney let you add an adult but not put them on the package? I never knew that was an option, I always thought everyone in the room had to be on the same package. Seriously always learning on the DIS.

I got nervous so I called again today. Thought this might be useful info to others:
- you can add an adult to your room at the hotel (not in advance) w/out putting them on your package.
- they are called a “day guest” and it’s 35
Plus tax a night to add them (for deluxe,
Less for moderate and value)
- they get a card room key, not magic band access. In our case we’re staying CL and she’ll need one of us with magic band to access the CL floor.
- they do not get EMH or ME (we planned badly and weren’t using EMH anyway for any days, so that wasn’t a big deal for us but might be a deal breaker for others)
-they are not on the meal plan (which we didn’t want anyway)
Just in case anyone else finds themselves in the crazy scenario of having already booked a package with tickets and dining plan and last minute having a friend with an annual
Pass come join you! Lol. I wrote down the CM name who told me all of this - fingers crossed that the front desk at CR says the same thing.

Day 6... at Animal Kingdom this morning (with a regular 9am open). Got to PORS bus stop at 8:01am. Board said 'next bus 8:07am ... a few minutes later it said 8:27am, so I think it was probably full after a few earlier stops at PORS (we are at the south depot, the main but final pick up spot). Luckily there was a CM at the buses and he called for another bus. We were on the bus and moving by 8:15am and at AK by 8:35am. We used to be at the front of every rope drop line, but the more we go, the less we need to rush to each ride. We still totally see the value of being at park before rope drop, and I would recommend this to anyone who was new to Disney, but we're really trying to just be more relaxed this trip and manage our FP's well. We are here for 2 weeks, so if we miss something, it's ok as we can come back to it another day. Bag check was long but it moved fairly quickly. They had a lot of stations open. No problem getting through tapstile and on our way at Navi (we had a FP for FoP). People had already been let into parks. We walked onto Navi with no wait (45 min wait posted at FoP and when we got off Navi the FoP was 60minutes posted time). We then rode Safari stand by, then used FP for FoP at this point it said 135 minute standby, but I didn't think it looked like it was really 2+ hours), then saw Festival of the Lion King. Love FOTLK so much! The Tumble Monkeys were awesome- last year one was absent so they didn't do their usual act- this year we saw them in action and they are so entertaining. Shopped a bit then went to Rainforest Cafe for lunch. We are Landry members and used our birthday rewards (2 of us have August birthdays) which made for an inexpensive lunch. Servings are huge here. We had 3 meals between the 4 of us and still left food on the table. DH and I went back to resort while DD's stayed and used FP's for Dinosaur and Everest. Back at hotel now ... will likely swim and have supper at PORS food court. DD wants to try a surrey bike, so might try it tonight. Tomorrow we are at EPCOT and have a late breakfast at Garden Grill. We like to have 10:30am breakfasts to have a little break after riding early and it keeps us full until dinner.

Sounds like you are having a fabulous trip. I love festival of the lion king as well. I am hoping to fit it in this trip, because I think my parents will enjoy it. Being a landry club member is the best! I love the priority seating.

Sounds like you are having a fabulous trip. I love festival of the lion king as well. I am hoping to fit it in this trip, because I think my parents will enjoy it. Being a landry club member is the best! I love the priority seating.

Just packed almost everything today to leave on Friday.

Broke my own rule and peeked at dining availability and now I’m obsessively stalking for one ADR so I can cancel the Ohana breakfast I have for this trip and go during our short September trip instead (DH unexpectedly got selected for a work conference and I’m tagging along). Usually I leave my dining and plans well enough alone unless it’s to add something at the last minute (and we’re not doing much TS for this trip).

I don’t even know how I’m going to work or sleep between now and Friday :surfweb:

Last edited:
So I actually got a call from Disney this evening about foregoing mousekeeping for my 1st 3 day at AOA. I needed to get something clarified though because he was quoting $20.

Spent most of Saturday sleeping in and then went to the beach in the evening. Sunday we lounged in anticipation of our drive Monday. Hitting the road early hope to be in Orlando by the Afternoon. Cant believe it's here. Disney here we come!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter