• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

Sounds like you have had a great trip! I enjoyed following along. We always feel like we need a vacation after vacation, so I have made it our goal to take it slower this trip and really enjoy the moment - not be rushing from one thing to the next.
I planned a slower paced trip for my gang as well. With the heat being a factor I didn't want anyone grouching out too hard. Plenty of mid day rest. We had a pool morning planned today so we have been lounging at the beautiful AKL pool. Heading to AK early evening for and then to MK for the VIPassholder event.

I planned a slower paced trip for my gang as well. With the heat being a factor I didn't want anyone grouching out too hard. Plenty of mid day rest. We had a pool morning planned today so we have been lounging at the beautiful AKL pool. Heading to AK early evening for and then to MK for the VIPassholder event.

Same here. I have scheduled more pool time for this trip; fingers crossed the Florida weather cooperates. I honestly think the family sometimes enjoys the resort more than the parks! We have a free day mid vacation and we may resort hop; maybe check out Geyser Point. We have 2 Disney Springs evenings; Raglan Road, and can't wait to try the Chicken Guy that just opened this past week. We just finished up our packathon this morning; exhausting, but exciting.

Learnt my lesson the hard way. Don't count on a later safari. We had FPs for 5:45 yesterday. After waiting in the line for over a half hour we left without riding. Apparently several animals decided to lay in front of or in the path of the jeeps so everything was held up.

This morning at MK was much more productive with 2 rides each on 7 Dwarf and Winnie the pooh plus Belles Enchanted Tales, Rapunzel & Tirana, Peter Pan and Small World. Break now and Epcot around 6 to 9.

View attachment 341459 View attachment 341460 For those still to come! Almost here for you! Very likely last night at MK for a couple years (faint possibility of girls trip next May)

Great Pictures - thanks for posting. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Our magical trip is nearly at an end. We had a great day at Animal Kingdom yesterday. We did Discovery Island, then the Africa portion, Dinoland and Pandora. We rode the Safari ride, did the trails, then after some hydration, ds and I did Dinoland while my 15 year-old got some additional rest. Then we headed to Pandora for our Navi River Journey fast passes and stayed through the show and saw it light up. Watched a bit of Tree of Life Awakening before heading out.

We have two more park days and fly home early afternoon on the 7th. Today we are resting though I will probably do the laundry and we may have a bit of pool time. We are spending the evening at Magic Kingdom, going in around 3 or 4 and hopefully staying to see HEA. Tomorrow the plan is to see Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo and the Asia portion of Animal Kingdom to finish up.

I have tried to enjoy each and every day. Vacation always go by too quickly no matter the length. This has certainly been a good one. The goal was not to go home feeling like I needed another vacation immediately because honestly because my job is in contract status, I never know when the next one will be even if I plan another one. Still, I told dd I was going to begin planning much earlier for our next trip whatever that is. I really want to plan a trip to do Universal. We all agreed we went to see it. The kids have a 4 day weekend in January I was looking at. As to Disney, I can see our trips are changing as the children get older and that is fine too. We also really want to do Disney World at a cooler time next time so we can bring my mother.

I agree about not wanting to come home and feel like you need another vacation. We try to take Disney slower now. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Love hearing from our folks in the parks now!

I told my younger child today. She said she already knew we were going somewhere as she overheard a conversation I had with DH about needing him to get some stuff done for older kid’s school while we were gone. Oops...! But where was a surprise, woohoo!

She is so into it. Already upstairs getting clothes together to pack and asking all sorts of questions. She is spoiled by Universal’s Express Pass, so I did lay down the law about rides lines- that there will be no complaining if we go on a ride with a line that is long-ish, and that we will just have to figure out how to entertain ourselves. She gave me a look and eventually agreed. She is extremely excited for Everest, Thunder Mountain, and the pools.

I’m packing in earnest the next two nights. Have my packing list complete and am currently doing vacation laundry.

Back to the villa, it was an amazing first day.

Our red-eye was horrible. :scared: If I ever post about taking a red-eye again, I expect a virtual slap! Seriously.

On to the the good stuff which is all of it!

Our villa at Kidani is fabulous, far from the lobby but we prefer it that way. Terrific savannah view.

We had brunch at California Grill which was delicious and the service was top notch. Took the desserts to go which we may have for breakfast tomorrow. After zero sleep and lots of champagne, we blew off our park plans and laid by the pool the rest of the afternoon. Best idea ever!

For dinner we went to Jiko. Service was stellar, they made a sweet fuss over our anniversary; dessert, pins, signed card which was not done beforehand as our anniversary wasn’t noted anywhere on our reservation. DVC is usually great about that. The food at Jiko was wonderful. We might skip Yachtsman and return Thursday night.

Hope everyone leaving soon has safe travels and those who are here now are having a magical trip.

We're beginning our Disney trip TOMORROW! We'll be there for 2 whole weeks ... so excited! Almost packed. It's been fun planning with this August group!
View attachment 341603

That is so exciting. We have a few more days before we go for 2 weeks as well. So much fun packing. The suitcases are out and all of our laundry is done. Have a blast!

Animal kingdom day today. Got there shortly after opening and did dinosaur, met Pocahatas, expedition Everest, then met dd for our FoP fast pass. After that was time to check in for wild Africa trek - omg so amazing! Hot, but soooo cool to be able to stay in one spot long enough to observe the animals. After that was over did our Kali FP and EE FP and watched the new bird show. One and done. Liked the old show much better.
Back to Pop for shower and change of clothes (so needed it-Probably sweated 5pounds off).
Universal for dinner-actually NBC grill in city walk, then hit Mummy quick, got stuck in a forever F&F line (“express” turned into a 45 min wait). Never again have seen it twice now and if I don’t see it again this lifetime or the next 60 it will be too soon). Saw the new lagoon show - was ok. Met a fellow disboarder.

Tomorrow is Epcot am and then Universal in evening again.

Only rain we’ve seen was this afternoon for about 5 minutes-raining when we got on EE for 2nd time and had stopped before we even hit broken tracks. Between the soaking on Kali and the rain I was cool and comfortable for about 8 minutes lol.
The food at Jiko was wonderful
. Happy Anniversary! We are eating at JIko for our anniversary on Tuesday. Sounds like something to really look forward to!

We had a great evening at Magic Kingdom...worth the foot pain I am experiencing now. We went in at about 2:30. Got my dd the Starbucks she has been wanting. We hit Adventure Land to do Alladin, Jungle Cruise and (new to us) Pirates of the Caribbean. Between Alladin and Jungle Cruise we had some fun with those totum poles that squirt water. Very refreshing and entertaining for me to watch my children getting wet. Did not know there was a drop on Pirates so that was funny. When I got in, I thought "I wonder why this seat is wet." I found out. :rotfl:

After that we headed over to Tomorrow Land and hit the People Mover which was down when we visited earlier in the trip. We did Carousel of Progress again because we just love it so much. Then we used our fast passes for Buzz Lightyear (which was also down earlier in the trip. After getting beaten thoroughly both times on Toy Story Mania, my son beat his sister on Buzz. Boy was he thrilled.

Then it was on to Fantasy Land to repeat our two favorite things. Philharmagic and Small World. Now last year, after we did Small World I found a good spot in front of the castle for the children and went off to get dinner. Little did I know I would end up in a 45 minute line. Yes, 45 minutes despite being the 4th person at the register. A lady in front of me had someone in her party with an allergy and due to procedure, the cashier had to wait for someone to come over to verify before completing the order. It took someone over 20 minutes to get there. By the time I got back to them, dd and I had to use the lights on our phones to find each other. We had 2 minutes to eat before they told everyone to stand up to get ready for the show.

Not this year. While we were in line for Small World, I put in our dinner order on my phone. We chose Columbia Harbor House which is a favorite of ours. Once we were off the ride I tapped the "Prepare my order" button. By the time we walked in, my phone let me know the food was ready. Took a bit to find a table; but we sat and ate and were out in plenty of time for HEA.

Right as it started, a guy told his girlfriend he wanted to take a photo with her. Once they had taken the photo, he knelt and proposed. :lovestruc
We enjoyed HEA. It was a long day for our feet for sure. We'll sleep in a little before doing a short visit to Animal Kingdom tomorrow.

Last edited:
This morning at MK was much more productive with 2 rides each on 7 Dwarf and Winnie the pooh plus Belles Enchanted Tales, Rapunzel & Tirana, Peter Pan and Small World. Break now and Epcot around 6 to 9.

Did you have FPs for 7D or were you able to walk on twice?

Animal kingdom day today. Got there shortly after opening and did dinosaur, met Pocahatas, expedition Everest, then met dd for our FoP fast pass. After that was time to check in for wild Africa trek - omg so amazing! Hot, but soooo cool to be able to stay in one spot long enough to observe the animals. After that was over did our Kali FP and EE FP and watched the new bird show. One and done. Liked the old show much better.
Back to Pop for shower and change of clothes (so needed it-Probably sweated 5pounds off).
Universal for dinner-actually NBC grill in city walk, then hit Mummy quick, got stuck in a forever F&F line (“express” turned into a 45 min wait). Never again have seen it twice now and if I don’t see it again this lifetime or the next 60 it will be too soon). Saw the new lagoon show - was ok. Met a fellow disboarder.

Tomorrow is Epcot am and then Universal in evening again.

Only rain we’ve seen was this afternoon for about 5 minutes-raining when we got on EE for 2nd time and had stopped before we even hit broken tracks. Between the soaking on Kali and the rain I was cool and comfortable for about 8 minutes lol.
. Happy Anniversary! We are eating at JIko for our anniversary on Tuesday. Sounds like something to really look forward to!

Sounds like a good time! How was NBC Sports Grill? We want to try it on our Universal part of the trip.

HAVe had an awesome two days! Saturday was AK in the morning and early afternoon. We did Pandora and a few other things before heading back to swim and then go to After Hours. after hours at MK was absolutely amazing!! Totally worth the splurge!
Yesterday we go to MK about 1130 and stayed until close. I love the low crowds we’ve had!
My daughter did BBB and they made such a big deal when they found out it was her 8th time. SHe was nervous going into it (no longer a princess dress - she turned 10 recently and opted for the tutu set) but she had so much fun! Then DS got his hair cut and the big dinner at CRT. After dinner we met up with friends from home for the rest of the evening.
Today is HS although probably not until a little later so we can stay thru the Star Wars fireworks

Happy Anniversary! We are eating at JIko for our anniversary on Tuesday. Sounds like something to really look forward to!

Thank you! Yes, I think you’ll enjoy it. The dumpling appetizer was probably my favorite. We may go back Wednesday or Thursday because there are a couple more things we want to try. The sauces on everything were outstanding. Hope you have a great time!

That is so exciting. We have a few more days before we go for 2 weeks as well. So much fun packing. The suitcases are out and all of our laundry is done. Have a blast!
Thanks! We're especially excited for a 2 week stay, including 4 days at Beach Club Club Level ... we've stayed at Beach Club before but never CL so we hope to enjoy it. Last year we just did a week at POP as we were on a Mediterranean Cruise last summer. We weren't even going to go to Disney, but then we decided we had to get there, even if only for a short trip. It was pretty quick and a lot of park time. This trip I'm hoping to have lots of pool time / wander around PORS grounds for our first 10 days / Disney Springs and then lots of Epcot, SAB and Boardwalk time when we move to BC. We're leaving in about 45 minutes!
Hope you have a great trip too. I've watched your videos and they're terrific!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter