• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

My magic bands arrived yesterday!!

In delightful fashion, instead of putting the box in my mailbox or between my door and storm door, they just dumped it on my front step in a pouring rainstorm. This is unusual--I'm wondering if it wasn't my usual mail carrier...Luckily it didn't get stolen and was mostly dry inside the many layers of soggy cardboard.

Will be in Florida in 6 days from tonight and Disney in 9. Kids are off with their dad for their mini vacation. So I plan to spread out this weekend and pack and do laundry. My ex husband has instructions to wash everything asap when they return so I can finish packing by Thursday.

Contemplating upgrading my free QS dining to the Disney Dining Plan but I have a few more days to decide :magnify: alternative is to keep my QS dining and get a Tables of Wonderland card for now and my April trip.

Won't be able to book a BB because my dates in April aren't included :sad1: none the less can't wait to leave next week!

The 15th is our arrival day and it's the only day with a 6. Everything after that really drops off. Our last day, 8/28 which is a MNSSHP night, has MK as a 1. I'll take it with a grain of salt, but definitely a positive sign, as well as the comments on several forums that crowds do seem lighter.

I am anxious to see how the crowds are. Our last three trips have been October 2013/November 2015/June 2016 -- and while all three were manageable, but I felt there was little difference in the crowds.

Our first day in the parks is the 18th, and our last is the 28th for MK / MNSSHP Very glad to hear the reports of lower crowd predictions!

Seems like a few of us will be starting the drive two weeks from today! We will head out early Thursday the16th so DH can hit up a fancy brewery in Virginia for supplies ;) and check in at Ft. Wilderness Friday.

2 bags down, a lot more to go

Yup, we are starting our drive from NY Thursday around 1:00, and expect to get there early Friday afternoon.

Sweating in line for big thunder. FP at DHS tonite so winging it. Slept in instead of EMH. With flight delays yesterday luggage wasn’t at resort until after midnight. So we asked to get it anyway-came at 2 am. I’d packed nightthings jic. Posted wait 35 minutes jungle cruise. Waited 17. Was 30 min wait when we got in line but it’s moving so we will see how long it actually takes. Must do HM and peoplemover before hopping to Epcot for lunch then pool/nap time!

Sweating in line for big thunder. FP at DHS tonite so winging it. Slept in instead of EMH. With flight delays yesterday luggage wasn’t at resort until after midnight. So we asked to get it anyway-came at 2 am. I’d packed nightthings jic. Posted wait 35 minutes jungle cruise. Waited 17. Was 30 min wait when we got in line but it’s moving so we will see how long it actually takes. Must do HM and peoplemover before hopping to Epcot for lunch then pool/nap time!

Sounds like it's going to be a great day!!

Our first day in the parks is the 18th, and our last is the 28th for MK / MNSSHP Very glad to hear the reports of lower crowd predictions!

Yup, we are starting our drive from NY Thursday around 1:00, and expect to get there early Friday afternoon.

So tell me about your drive from NY. We are in PA (north of Philly), and contemplating driving next year. My husband is still on the fence for driving, since he hates using his vacation days in transit rather than on vacation. Our adult son is anticipating coming with us, since we are going to do a couple days at Universal before Disney. He will help with the drive down, fly back home earier than the rest of us.

So great to hear reports from our August folks.
We fly out next Saturday, so this weekend will be all about laundry and packing. :laundy:
It has been unusually boiling hot in my corner of the northeast; my electric meter is in overdrive with the AC blasting away.
Walked out of the grocery store today, and the heat/ humidity felt like the World Showcase at high noon; good training for Florida, I suppose.

So tell me about your drive from NY. We are in PA (north of Philly), and contemplating driving next year. My husband is still on the fence for driving, since he hates using his vacation days in transit rather than on vacation. Our adult son is anticipating coming with us, since we are going to do a couple days at Universal before Disney. He will help with the drive down, fly back home earier than the rest of us.

I figured I would answer you since we drive most of the time we go to Disney. We are in NYC and leave around 6am. We have 4 kids so our minivan is very packed. We try to stop every 250 to 300 miles (when we need gas) although when there is a bathroom need we stop sooner. We make meals to eat in the car going down to FL - since we are in a rush to get there. So breakfast sandwiches, either lunch or dinner and snacks. The last time we made salads with protein for everyone - to keep it light while driving. We always like to stop at South of the Border - to walk around and maybe get some food if needed. We usually stop for the night near the end of Georgia (anywhere from 10pm to midnight) - so the next day we have less than 3 hours to go. One time we made it all the way to Jacksonville - it depends on the traffic and the day we are leaving. My DH and I do all the driving but this year one of our DDs will also drive - that will make it much easier.

We really enjoy the car ride - the kids prefer it. We of course bring Disney Movies and music for the car ride.

I hope that helps.

I went for a walk around the neighborhood with my sister last night, and it was an especially muggy evening. I have since reevaluated my packing list and decided I will definitely want to change midday, swampy clothes are just so gross.

I was going to say something about being glad I am finally done shopping for our trip but that feels like a jinx lol

I got the majority of our packing done today with 13 days to go!

I want to start so bad. I do have my daughter's Disney shirts pulled out and went through all the toiletries. I was worried about emptying my kids clothing out -- but I could probably get away with it.

I just ordered a couple more shorts for me, so I have to wait for those to get delivered. LOL

I went for a walk around the neighborhood with my sister last night, and it was an especially muggy evening. I have since reevaluated my packing list and decided I will definitely want to change midday, swampy clothes are just so gross.

I was going to say something about being glad I am finally done shopping for our trip but that feels like a jinx lol

Yeah, 13 days with a change of clothes mid day. I will do laundry several times, trying to calculate how many shorts and underwear to pack for everyone. I hate OVER packing. (I just ordered a couple shorts for myself, so I get the "shopping" jinx.)

I kind of hate spending that time on the road too, but with 5 of us, airfare from the metro NY area is like $3000 plus checked bags, and I hate that more than I hate spending the time driving lol.

For us, it is typically about 18 to 19 hours on the road, unless we get into serious traffic. It takes us about 20 minutes to get to the Palisades Parkway, then we go to 87, and over to 95 from there, and then straight down 95. Usually our first day driving is about 12 hours. We drive from the Mid Hudson Valley in NY to Manning SC, where we spend the night. That leaves us with a 6 hour drive the next day. The only places we ever really run into traffic are in NJ, right around DC, and then in the Northern part of VA. The rest of the drive is usually smooth sailing. We are past all of the areas where traffic is common on the first day. Our second day of driving is reliably 6 hours. We leave the hotel at just about 7 in the morning, and get into the Orlando / Disney area right around 1:00 in the afternoon.

If you use 95 through Virginia, I will say as soon as the EZPass express lane opens, get into it. If you opt not to use the EZPass express lane, then when you are nearing the point where that express lane merges back into the main lanes, get over to the right lane. The EZPass lanes merge in from the left, and often there is a backup at that merge point. When that happens, the left lanes go much slower than the right one, because all of the cars from the express lanes are merging into the left lane.

Beyond that, watch the speed, and enjoy the trip. I honestly don't mind the drive, and if my back isn't bothering me, it is pretty enjoyable.

I figured I would answer you since we drive most of the time we go to Disney. We are in NYC and leave around 6am. We have 4 kids so our minivan is very packed. We try to stop every 250 to 300 miles (when we need gas) although when there is a bathroom need we stop sooner. We make meals to eat in the car going down to FL - since we are in a rush to get there. So breakfast sandwiches, either lunch or dinner and snacks. The last time we made salads with protein for everyone - to keep it light while driving. We always like to stop at South of the Border - to walk around and maybe get some food if needed. We usually stop for the night near the end of Georgia (anywhere from 10pm to midnight) - so the next day we have less than 3 hours to go. One time we made it all the way to Jacksonville - it depends on the traffic and the day we are leaving. My DH and I do all the driving but this year one of our DDs will also drive - that will make it much easier.

We really enjoy the car ride - the kids prefer it. We of course bring Disney Movies and music for the car ride.

I hope that helps.

We like to leave early when we can, and on occasion have been on the road as early as 4:00. Sadly, this year, the wife has to work the day we are leaving, so we don't get on the road until around 1:00 in the afternoon. I am HOPING we don't get mired in traffic along the way. Mid day in NJ shouldn't be too bad, but I am a bit concerned about where we will be during the evening rush. If I remember correctly, it is somewhere around 4 to 5 hours from here to DC, which would put us right in the middle of the evening rush hour when we hit the DC beltway, and the North part of Virginia, which means 95 will be a parking lot.

A couple of times we have made our overnight stop in Kingsland Georgia, but most of the time we stop in Manning SC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter