*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

We're so close! Here's our plan:

Saturday, 8/11: Arrive in MCO around 1:30pm, take ME to AKL! Dinner at Boma, and then Disney After Hours until 1am :)
Sunday, 8/12: Bf's birthday, so it must be MK (again)! And the HEA dessert party at the plaza.
Monday, 8/13: HS day! We're getting a late start and then closing down the park.
Tuesday, 8/14: Universal Studios day--we're major HP fans and absolutely EXCITED as we've never been.
Wednesday, 8/15: Free day for the pool or DS. Lunch at Sanaa, and very late dinner at California Grill. We're planning on showing up early to watch HEA from the deck before dinner.
Thursday, 8/16: Epcot day!
Friday, 8/17: AK!
Saturday, 8/18: We have a late flight at 7pm, so we have breakfast at Crystal Palace and then a few MK fast passes. Then off to the tragical express for us :(

Any tips for surviving the heat? We're NY natives.

New England native here. I thought I would never survive the Florida inferno, but I did very well. Yes, it's boiling hot, but there is so much AC around it's pretty easy to duck in somewhere to cool down. i think the best thing is to drink plenty of water. It is a good idea to drink water before you leave your resort, or on the way to the parks to give your body a head start. Once heat exhaustion sets in, you can become ill rather quickly. I noticed we are both flying out on the 11th. Our flight lands just before 2pm. Have an awesome trip!

We're so close! Here's our plan:

Saturday, 8/11: Arrive in MCO around 1:30pm, take ME to AKL! Dinner at Boma, and then Disney After Hours until 1am :)
Sunday, 8/12: Bf's birthday, so it must be MK (again)! And the HEA dessert party at the plaza.
Monday, 8/13: HS day! We're getting a late start and then closing down the park.
Tuesday, 8/14: Universal Studios day--we're major HP fans and absolutely EXCITED as we've never been.
Wednesday, 8/15: Free day for the pool or DS. Lunch at Sanaa, and very late dinner at California Grill. We're planning on showing up early to watch HEA from the deck before dinner.
Thursday, 8/16: Epcot day!
Friday, 8/17: AK!
Saturday, 8/18: We have a late flight at 7pm, so we have breakfast at Crystal Palace and then a few MK fast passes. Then off to the tragical express for us :(

Any tips for surviving the heat? We're NY natives.

Hi NJ/NY native here as well. I usually try to duck into a cool indoor/space often. Each park have some slower things to do indoors. Movies and rides. I pair it with a cool snack when we can ( Ice cream and/or something sort of Icy) I also duck to the bathroom and use a wet towel to cool down. Breaks help all around If we have time mid day or a late afternoon we will head back to the room or the pool for a bit till our night time plans. Really depends on our ride plans for the day. And don't rush. I usually map out the park for things in one area at a time so we are not rushing all over.

Enjoy!

New England native here. I thought I would never survive the Florida inferno, but I did very well. Yes, it's boiling hot, but there is so much AC around it's pretty easy to duck in somewhere to cool down. i think the best thing is to drink plenty of water. It is a good idea to drink water before you leave your resort, or on the way to the parks to give your body a head start. Once heat exhaustion sets in, you can become ill rather quickly. I noticed we are both flying out on the 11th. Our flight lands just before 2pm. Have an awesome trip!

Hey there! And that's definitely the plan. I've been to Disney many times but didn't know until recently about all of the free QS water, so we're planning on taking advantage of that. And perhaps we will see you in passing and never know :cool2:

Hi NJ/NY native here as well. I usually try to duck into a cool indoor/space often. Each park have some slower things to do indoors. Movies and rides. I pair it with a cool snack when we can ( Ice cream and/or something sort of Icy) I also duck to the bathroom and use a wet towel to cool down. Breaks help all around If we have time mid day or a late afternoon we will head back to the room or the pool for a bit till our night time plans. Really depends on our ride plans for the day. And don't rush. I usually map out the park for things in one area at a time so we are not rushing all over.

Enjoy!

On the days we're not having a late start, we're planning on taking mid-afternoon breaks and returning for the evening. I tend to be a rusher, but with some recent injuries I just can't do it anymore. So we're going to do our best to take it slow :) I've also tried strategically planning fast passes in very close areas to avoid zigzagging through the parks.

Thanks everyone!!

Just a few days to go. Finalized and placed our grocery order and made a few more purchases today. Went ahead and added ECBI to our outbound flight a few days ago. I usually only get it for the flight home; but I realized we'll be at my son's flag football game at the 24 hour mark this Saturday and I don't want to have to worry about it.

Also finalized our resort plans. I needed to add a day to match our return flight. I hadn't done it before now because I was considering a split stay. In the end I decided against it since it is so close to the trip. Making it a goal for our next trip though. There's a couple of places I want to stay; but probably can't afford for a week plus. I think the children are to the age now though where a split stay wouldn't be as tough.

I hope to finish packing the suitcases tonight and get what I can into the carry-on bags by Friday. We're in that time frame now where it's exciting that it is close; but don't want to rush time and also still have so much to do. In other words, it's crazy. o_O

Hey there! And that's definitely the plan. I've been to Disney many times but didn't know until recently about all of the free QS water, so we're planning on taking advantage of that. And perhaps we will see you in passing and never know :cool2:

On the days we're not having a late start, we're planning on taking mid-afternoon breaks and returning for the evening. I tend to be a rusher, but with some recent injuries I just can't do it anymore. So we're going to do our best to take it slow :) I've also tried strategically planning fast passes in very close areas to avoid zigzagging through the parks.

Thanks everyone!!

I'm a rusher as well and I tend to overschedule, learning to do it a lot less on vacation especially at Disney :)

We just booked our end-of-summer Disney family vacation last night! Woohoo! I just found this group and I haven’t been through the pages. Is there a list of who is going and when? We are staying at ASMS, August 12-17! We have never stayed there but DH wanted to try it out. He’s a big sports fan. We usually stay in AoAFS or in a 1-2 bedroom villa but we couldn’t pass up the price! We figured that since we are spending all of our time at the larks this trip that there was no point in point in spending extra on the room since we will only have two of our kiddos with us.

Made our dining reservations and selected our FPs, which I was surprised with what I was able to get this close out. I’m so excited and can’t wait!!!:yay:

I'm a rusher as well and I tend to overschedule, learning to do it a lot less on vacation especially at Disney :)

Oh yeah I feel you there. I don't go often and it truly is my happy place, so when I'm there I just want to do it all. We went to Disneyland in March for the first time (and probably the last time for a long time) for only one day in both parks and we went like 16 hours nonstop. Needless to say, we had to leave once the blisters on my feet decided to erupt. Wound up limping out of DL and feeling horrible :( We had a ton of fun though... but I think I learned my lesson to take it easy on these Disney trips hahaha

Maybe I'll splurge on a Minnie Van to get to Magic Kingdom. I'm sure by the end of the day, I'll be exhausted, and a private ride will be in order.
Last august my son and I did all 4 and did AK twice-started at AK in am, went to DHS, then Epcot-->MK and ended up back at AK that night (Pandora had lots of EMH). But - that was when the express bus was still going so it made park hopping so dang easy!!! Of all the upcharges WDW comes up with this is the one that got the ax!!

Magical Express tags finally came. 4 more days of work for me (2 this week, 2 next week).

When you need to pack; but your 8 year-old is trying to stay up late. :tongue: :bored:

Child aren't you tired? It's not like anything is going on you need to know about. :rolleyes1

I kept his laundry after drying and folding it instead of putting it away; so most of what I am packing for him is in my room; but there are about 4 short sets I need out of his closet and I need to grab socks. He is confined to his room because it is way past his bedtime so I'm going to do my daughter's bag and mine. She has already gone through her things in my room.

Just booked my trip for August and found this thread! It was a very last minute trip, especially for me! I usually book my trips about a year out and then go on my trip and book my next one in that Post Disney Depression stage haha.
I've never been in August before. I've been in mid-June and early October. How does the heat compare to those times? It doesn't look unbearable. We've had a couple of 110 + some humidity days here in So Cal. I'm packing my rain jacket and just hoping for the best.
I managed to get a couple of ADR's and some nice FP's which I wasn't expecting at all! Everything was open with the exception on Toy Story Land and FoP. Not bad for a couple of weeks out!

Last edited:
Just booked my trip for August and found this thread! It was a very last minute trip, especially for me! I usually book my trips about a year out and then go on my trip and book my next one in that Post Disney Depression stage haha.
I've never been in August before. I've been in mid-June and early October. How does the heat compare to those times? It doesn't look unbearable. We've had a couple of 110 + some humidity days here in So Cal. I'm packing my rain jacket and just hoping for the best.
I managed to get a couple of ADR's and some nice FP's which I wasn't expecting at all! Everything was open with the exception on Toy Story Land and FoP. Not bad for a couple of weeks out!

I usually go in August I have gone once in January (This Year), July(2014) and September(2017) and the worst ever was my July trip absolutely brutal and unbearable. I like to go in August becausencrowds seem smaller and definitely nowhere as hot in my opinion.

Last edited:
Realized I have to stop ordering Disney Themed Shirts and stuff if I'm ever going to get these kids packed. I'm getting anxious waiting for these packages and I have to pack strategically since my kids will be with their dad the week before we leave with a lot of their summer clothes. :sad2:

Last edited:
Ok, I've got transportation set. We are using John Murray's service again, http://www.transportation2disney.com/. I found these guys on another thread on the DIS when we were going to Universal last year. I would have used Magical Express, but we are getting in late and I'd rather get to the resort as quickly as possible. When we went for Universal, he met us in baggage claim and was parked right nearby; it was quite convenient.

Last things I'm doing are seeing if I can get EMM on a particular morning (all full, but things may open up closer to the cancellation timing). I'm also thinking about whether to purchase some cooling towels.

Well, I got the suitcases packed last night. Of course right after that in true teenage fashion, my daughter started thinking she might want to take some different things than what was in the pile of clothes I told her to give her opinion on 9 days ago. :sad2: Mind you this is the child who has known about the trip since before it was booked.

3 weeks from today, we will be *almost* leaving for the airport! :hyper: I started packing yesterday - Got our toiletry bag together. I think the closer it gets, the slower time goes.

I'm leaving three weeks from today as well! At this time, in three weeks, I'll have just departed the airport. Oh, man. I hate wishing time away, but these next three weeks better hurry themselves up! :)

I'm leaving three weeks from today as well! At this time, in three weeks, I'll have just departed the airport. Oh, man. I hate wishing time away, but these next three weeks better hurry themselves up! :)

3 weeks from today will be Day 2 for us! Ee would have already finished breakfast at Chef Mickey's, and be headed to our FPs at MK for Philharmagic - which we have never done before!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter