***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

Drusba - Iowa is never closed! It may be forbidding at times, but not closed. Next time you come this way I'll throw you a key or show you the native's only way for your help. ;)

Maybe, borrowing a concept from W.C. Fields, when I die I will have my tombstone read, "I'd rather be in Iowa."

P.S.: As some who know me know, my avatar phrase is actually just another borrowed comment from Mr. Fields, one of my all-time favorite comedic actors, except in his case he was speaking of Philadelphia. I actually like visiting Iowa (get to the Quad Cities area a couple times a year to visit friends), along with many other midwest states -- such as Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Nebraska -- where life is less hectic than Chicago. Also, two of my favorite all-time movies are Field of Dreams and Music Man.

Last edited:
I am so excited! Our small AKL contract just went into ROFR. I am praying it passes quickly because we want to plan a trip in September for our 2nd Anniversary. We have not been since our honeymoon! We absolutely fell in love with AKL (rented points) and we both knew we HAD to have a DVC! What is your favorite place to stay other than AKL? Just incase we cant get a reservation since it will be within the 6 month travel date I am worried! We are willing to stay half at AKL and half somewhere else to make it work. :)
good luck! I have a contract in rofr too....

How tough is a 2 bedroom standard view Jambo house to book as an owner booking at 11 months? Seeing they are all lock offs I'm wondering if that makes competition for them pretty steep. We are debating where to add on at for mostly Nov or early Dec trips. It looks like the Christmas season would be lovely here.

The only AKV rooms that have ever had issues with availability when trying to book at exactly 11 months out are the value and club level rooms in Jambo.

Last edited:
The only AKV rooms that have ever had issues with availability when trying to book at exactly 11 months out are the value and club level rooms in Jambo.
That is good to hear! I don't care so much for Kadani and would want to be in Jambo but know there are a lot fewer rooms over there.

Just had an offer accepted today at AKV. We've rented before but decided to buy in and can't wait for the whole process of ROFR and closing to occur so we can start booking vacations. It appears I have a few pages of reading to do here.
congrats and good luck.. I am in rofr and hoping it all works out!

New follower to this thread, looking at booking a DVC room for our first stay at AKL in Jan 2018. Hoping for a little advice about which area to stay in. We will be staying with 5 people total, including 2 kids ages 4 and 7 so probably a 1 BD. I've read a few different reviews saying Kidani is better for kids but wondering what the real experts have to say. Any help is greatly appreciated.

New follower to this thread, looking at booking a DVC room for our first stay at AKL in Jan 2018. Hoping for a little advice about which area to stay in. We will be staying with 5 people total, including 2 kids ages 4 and 7 so probably a 1 BD. I've read a few different reviews saying Kidani is better for kids but wondering what the real experts have to say. Any help is greatly appreciated.
The 1-bedrooms in Kidani Village are approx. 100 sq feet larger than those (in the same view category) in Jambo House. Also, the KV 1-bedrooms have 2 full bathrooms while the JH 1-bedrooms only have 1 bath.

The 1-bedrooms in Kidani Village are approx. 100 sq feet larger than those (in the same view category) in Jambo House. Also, the KV 1-bedrooms have 2 full bathrooms while the JH 1-bedrooms only have 1 bath.

I love Jambo, but the villas at Kidani are definitely nicer. Kidani was built specifically as a DVC resort; Jambo's rooms were retro-fitted to accommodate DVC villas.

Jambo's location might be a bit more desirable, but the pool at Kidani is better (especially for families with young kids).

In addition to the 2 full bathrooms in the Kidani 1-bedroom, the balconies are accessible from both the living room and the master bedroom.

Depends on preferences. neither is a bad decision.

As far as the room itself goes, the Kidani 1BR wins hands down because it is larger than Jambo's 1BR, has more closet space, has two bathrooms (ideal if you have 5), one serving the living room area and one connected to the master bedroom, while Jambo has one that is not connected to the master bedroom (from the bedroom you need to cross a hallway that can be seen from the living room). Nevertheless the Jambo 1BR is OK for five since it also has the extra pull-out twin size chair.

The Kidani pool with its elaborate water play area is ideal for a 4 and 7 year old, but Jambo pool is ideal for adults. However, you should likely not consider the pool as a factor since in January you face a substantial risk of not being able to use it.

If you have a rental car, Kidani is also a winner with its under-building parking lot that runs close to the length of the building, and with three elevators along each of the two wings, you can always park fairly close to your room. The Jambo lot is a large parking area outside and across the street from the Jambo front entrance.

Jambo has the advantage of a larger lobby, much large store, and three restaurants, Jiko, a very good but expensive table service, Boma, one the best buffet restaurants on site, and Mara, a good counter service with lots of seating, including some outside, not far from the pool area. Kidani has only a table service restaurant Sanaa, but it is one of the best and now has a breakfast service. You can, of course, use the facilities at either building regardless of which one you are staying in but it is about 1/2 mile trip front door to front door (there is a minivan that runs continuously from one resort to the other that you can catch outside the lobby)

With Jambo, you can end up with a long walk from room to lobby, restaurants, store, pool. and buses. However, with Kidani, you can end up with the longest walk in any hotel in the world (the earth, not just WDW) from room to lobby, restaurants, store, and buses (imagine yourself at the base of World Showcase after coming over the bridge from Future World; now walk to Germany; that is about the same distance you can have from bus stop to end room on the north wing at Kidani. You can make requests for locations at either building but there is no guarantee.

Thank you all for your input, that was the info I was hoping for. I can't wait for our first stay here and will keep reading up on the message board. I think Kidani will win out for the room size and the bathroom/layout.

I will be staying at Jambo in a savanna view studio in May. I really want to see giraffes from my balcony. When I make my online check-in, what area shall I request?

Hello :)
I'm not sure if I should ask here or the regular resort thread... we are not DVC... but, will be staying at a 1 bedroom Value villa in the Jambo House this coming May. Do any of know if the Value villas have a washer & dryer?
Thank you

Hello :)
I'm not sure if I should ask here or the regular resort thread... we are not DVC... but, will be staying at a 1 bedroom Value villa in the Jambo House this coming May. Do any of know if the Value villas have a washer & dryer?
Thank you

All the DVC 1BRs have a w/d including the values at AKL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter