The Next DVC May Be At CBR and Not Near the Fort (Yet)

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
I have feared that Disney may build the long-planned DVC property next to the Fort behind Trails End and Pioneer Hall. Each time a DVC build-out nears completion (BLT, GF, Poly, WL) I fear the Fort area will be next in the build-out.

Now that the WL build-out of converting one wing of the hotel to DVC and building the cabins is far along, it appears Disney has filed permits to build out at Caribbean Beach Resort which has also been a rumored location for a future DVC.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-files-expansion-plans-for-caribbean-beach.3572669/

I hope the near-Fort area can continue to avoid a DVC build-out but lakefront property on Bay Lake won't remain in a natural state forever.

Bama Ed

Agreed Ed, I think the exact same thing each time the DVC discussion comes up.

1) Yep, the DVC-build at Fort Wilderness seems to be a wavering priority.
2) Just when we think our fears are realized and construction will begin, they (THANKFULLY) build elsewhere.
3) Then, a wave of relief flows over our brow, as a wave of scotch flows over our lips.
4) DVC makes too much sense to WDW, and we should look forward to a lot more room conversions.
. . . as well as some new construction.
5) It is a win-win-win-win for Disney.
. . . they get their hotel profit back in 2-3 years, instead of 40-years.
. . . they have built-in annually returning guests.
. . . they have a guaranteed profit from the annual dues (aka: ever increasing Maintenance Fees)
. . . once the DVC is sold-out, there is never a question of vacant capacity (empty rooms)

. . . they have a guaranteed profit from the annual dues (aka: ever increasing Maintenance Fees)
. . . once the DVC is sold-out, there is never a question of vacant capacity (empty rooms)
Until such a time as fees exceed some threshold that no longer makes it a value.

I am sure it will end up to a point where it's also a rotating door. Trying to get new DVC while existing DVC members (who no longer see the value) try to get their way out.

If they stick to the leaked River Country plans it shouldn't affect the Fort too much, or would it? I'd just be concerned with places like Trails End never being built to accommodate that many people.

I hope we are safe for quite a while. The current pattern seems to be building on existing infrastructure. Converting rooms at WL, adding buildings at the GF, or putting bungalows at the Poly all used the existing resorts facilities, parking and transportation. I don't think the Fort or even WL parking, transportation and other infrastructure would support a RC site DVC. Adding all that additional cost is what is likely keeping them looking elsewhere. At least for now.

j

If they stick to the leaked River Country plans it shouldn't affect the Fort too much, or would it? I'd just be concerned with places like Trails End never being built to accommodate that many people.

1) I believe it would.
2) Although the physical space would not play major factor, the people would.
. . . the DVC people would wander around the fort, meaning more crowds
. . . this includes normal vacationers who rent the rooms for cash
. . . I think the "flavour" of the campground would change
3) Campers are a different breed of vacationer.
. . . they camp often
. . . their RV/tent is their home and The Fort becomes their neighborhood, and not just a resort
. . . they are used to strolling and meeting other campers and "just talking"
. . . they are typically more open to meeting folks (in my opinion)
. . . kids an adults frequently meet and go to activities and parks together as friends
. . . in many instances, campers actually sync their future vacations to meet past camping friends
. . . DVC, although more friendly than normal resort guests, still don't mingle as well as campers *
4) As for Trails End, the DVC would include a TS and a QS.

* My opinion is based upon working at WDW Deluxe resorts and DVC resorts. I most enjoy working at The Fort. Yes, my opinion of The Fort is definitely biased. I have met so many nice people and their families. I have been honored to be invited to several Meet & Greets, and always have s great time. One does not seen that at normal resorts or DVC resorts.

Rusty,

I like your reasoning on point #3 above. It's things we've all said before but I like the way you put them together so that one point leads into the next.

A nearby DVC would mean more people at the Fort. It would also mean more spending at the Trading Posts (good) and more people probably at the movie/campfire (bad).

As to point #4 - if a DVC came with table service and quick service outlets, I actually think that would be a plus for us campers. As much as I love Trails End, I'm not always in a mood to eat at a buffet. Even with the limited take-out menu at P&J's, it would be nice to have a convenient option/choice to do something else. Wilderness Lodge isn't that far away with TS and QS and the boats to the Contemporary also offer choices but they're far enough away to be enough hassle that I have only rarely chosen to pursue those options. So I could see some synergies with respect to dining for both the Fort and the DVC guests.

That being said, I hope a DVC on the old RC site never comes.

Bama Ed

PS - dang, we need an emoji for eating. a smiling yellow face with a knife in one hand, a fork in the other, and a napkin tied around the neck would be perfect. Now I'm hungry...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter