• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The New Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa FAQ (March 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so psyched. Listening to the podcast is getting me so pumped up to go. We are looking at property in Palm Bay one morning and spending the night doing the movie campfire thingy. I am thinking I am gonna love this hotel. There is more to do here than my fav AKL has and that is really saying alot!:goodvibes

I know where Palm Bay is, nice area! :thumbsup2 I grew up spending my summers on my stomach on a surf board in Melbourne and we still have a family condo there! But more importantly it is close to WDW :rotfl:

Sorry! I know, I know, no chat! :flower3:

I know where Palm Bay is, nice area! :thumbsup2 I grew up spending my summers on my stomach on a surf board surfing (or trying too) in Melbourne and we still have a family condo there! But more importantly it is close to WDW :rotfl:

Sorry! I know, I know, no chat! :flower3:

How cool we will be neighbors sort of. LOL. My husband was offered a job at Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne. Everyone said to move to Palm Bay area. Sorry to add to the chat. :flower3:

Less than 30 days and we will be hanging at the Grand. I just got my stuff in the mail. We got an arcade ticket. Is that good only at GF or any arcade? TIA

Can you self park?

Mandatory valet parking is one of my pet peeves at nice resorts. I don't like calling down for my car, then having to wait for them to pull it up and paying someone to get my car and open the doors and close the doors, when I can easily do it myself. It seems silly and drives me insane.

Of course I know this is just me, I know some folks love valet parking.

If it is mandatory I will suck it up and call down for my car so that someone can fetch it, wait for it, let them open the doors, pay for the privilege, and let them close me in and go my merry little way.

Good Afternoon Fellow GF Fans...

DAWN!!! :dance3: Couldnt be happier for you all...:hug: I know you'll be enjoying every moment....

Mandy Sorry to hear about your friend....:sad2: Even our local paper has been carrying stories about the lay offs at WDW....

TakeMe2Disney (love that name BTW...:)) I think the best GV is in Boca Chica...lots of different opinions on that...I like the view overlooking the court yard pool and the main building...at the front of this thread there is a map that will show you where each building is located...all have lovely GVs...(Sugar Loaf and the main building not included as both are both CL)...hope that helps...:)

Maxie I'm a fan of the old decor too...but the new does happen to be nice...

Sleeping Becca dont worry the room decor feels very warm...elegant and kind of homey...(but not old homey...:))

Mare Laughing about your DH and the overweight luggage!!! :rotfl: Could it have been 7lbs of H2O;)...Which for anyone not familiar are wonderful toiletries...most especially the foot rub....they have a web site for fans who want to get more after they return home....

Can you self park?

Mandatory valet parking is one of my pet peeves at nice resorts. I don't like calling down for my car, then having to wait for them to pull it up and paying someone to get my car and open the doors and close the doors, when I can easily do it myself. It seems silly and drives me insane.

Of course I know this is just me, I know some folks love valet parking.

If it is mandatory I will suck it up and call down for my car so that someone can fetch it, wait for it, let them open the doors, pay for the privilege, and let them close me in and go my merry little way.

YES! :thumbsup2 Just tell the guard that you want to self park!

Does the GF used different H2O products, other than the blue ones?

Does the GF used different H2O products, other than the blue ones?

When we were there in Feb. they had the green H2O products. Love these by the way! Housekeeping left us a ton each day so I came home with like, 10 soaps! They work nicely too, I have very thick hair and had no problem! :goodvibes

Hi...boy have I been BUSY with work...I had a lot of catching up to do on this thread.

MickiNicki, yes the Grand uses the green SPA H2O products. They are sea marine and very fresh and clean scented.

Tinklvr, what a fabulous upgrade. Royal Palm is the best. The CMs are terrific up there. I am a long time fan. Enjoy your stay!

My big fantastic news is that we managed to switch out of the Yacht Club to the Grand and we are in Royal Palm Club too!! We will be there in just about two weeks!!!! Can I start singing "I've got a golden ticket!"?? LOL...I feel like I do!! I am so excited!

MandyMommy, YES. YOu can be my friend haha. I need all the Disney friends I can get LOL. Nobody here is a Disney fan.

We have done both self park and valet. Self park is across a road and not convenient if you are going to use the car during the trip. But I don't think it's as bad as some do. It's a pretty walk to the lot. Valet is very handy though & makes things much easier. And like Tinklvr said, it's great to have the car pull up with the AC on.

Veruca

Hey there, I just wanted to say that I love your Veruca picture and quote! I can see the movie clip in my head right now! :goodvibes

What time do the monorails start running? I want to have breakfast at the Wave and want to know how early I can get there.

Sleeping Becca, I would pull up to the front and unload your luggage, then just tell them you want to self park. It isn't that close, especially if you are dragging luggage with you, and it is across the street. We always valet. It just makes it more relaxing for us, but I can understand not wanting to. It is $10 a day plus tips.

Veruca, that is great that you were able to move to the GF and RPC too.:thumbsup2 I wish I had friends that would be able to go for a quick trip. A girls trip sounds like fun. Maybe someday.

If it is really far and cumbersome we will valet.

I don't know if I feel comfortable crossing the street with my daughter to get the car. If there is no resort parking fee for having a car, then $10 a day plus tips for valet is really not bad. I think I'd feel safer that way. But boy, I hate calling down for my car!

MickyNicki When I stayed at the CR they had those blue H2O products called I think Aquatics...which were very nice....at the GF they have the H2O spa collection, as 3prettyprincesses said really nice soaps and sea marine revitalizing shampoo marine collagen conditioner(the scent is different..sea inspired but nice...:rotfl: gee this is sounding like an advertisement......) a body butter and a mint foot rub (kind of makes your feet tingle!!)which is nice after a long day in the parks...its all really nice!

Veruca How nice! those last minute trips can be great fun!! Enjoy...:goodvibes

Maxie Just let me know and I'll get my bags packed...dont think you will have much time for ANOTHER trip though with 2 coming up!!!:) (ok I'm a little jealous...we only have one planned for this year...) But I am always looking ahead!!!

If it is really far and cumbersome we will valet.

I don't know if I feel comfortable crossing the street with my daughter to get the car. If there is no resort parking fee for having a car, then $10 a day plus tips for valet is really not bad. I think I'd feel safer that way. But boy, I hate calling down for my car!

You don't have to call for the car, you can ask when you get down there. It usually only takes about 5 minutes to get it. The only time we call ahead of time is when we know we won't be making any stops along the way. I think you would feel safer, especially when returning at night. Once you pay for valet at one resort, you can also valet at any other resort.

BlueSkies, I could be talked into taking another trip, especially a girls trip.:lmao:

Maxie that is something to think about!! I am always thinking about my next trip...sad but true...:upsidedow

IDK there is nothing like the GF in the late fall when those holiday decorations go up...:lovestruc

Another valet question. This $10 a day....if I use valet to park my car on say Thurs & pay them $10 & then the car sits until Sun, I pay $10 on Sunday when they give it to me or do I pay $10 for Fri & Sat as well even though the car was never used? Can't get this through my thick head!!:rotfl:

Have a WWYD question for you guys...DH and I are going for a short 3 night stay at the GF RPC in Dec....the only reason we booked CL is because DH has always wanted to stay in the main building during Xmas.

We are driving up after work, should arrive around 7-8 pm. Does anyone have a lounge menu for what they offer at what times? If we miss the food we will just go to Gasparilla Grill

Now for the tough question...we are going to do MVMCP one night and HS Osborne lights one night...would you dine at the lounge and CS if you were hungry later or would you make sure to have TS for dinner on those nights? While we have seen both of these attractions before it has been 3 years since we had a holiday trip to WDW and we dont want to miss any of the decorations etc.

I know we will be eating breakfast in the lounge, probably going to a park until 2 and then back at the resort to relax before going back out that night.

Any thoughts and ideas are very much appreciated!

Nicki

Nicki, I know mare gave you the list of offerings for 5-7. I'm sure you realized that it was different nights listed. Not all of those will be served each night. They make nice appetizers but are not filling enough to serve as dinner IMO. When we stay in club at the GF, we always make a TS reservation too and then perhaps just order an entree or salad. We're not CS fans other than an occasional breakfast so that would not be an option for us. But comparing the appetizers to those at the AKL, I would say they are less hardy. For instance, I've never seen soup or stew offered at the GF. Lovely hors d'oervres instead. Haven't stayed at WL so can't compare that one. Hopefully, someone who has will be along.

How's the bus service from GF to AK and HS? We plan to spend most of our time at MK and Epcot. But I will do 1 day each for AK and HS. Do you share the bus with any other resorts?

With the bus, is it feasible to return to resort for afternoon nap? Or would a cab be better? Does anyone know the average one way cab fare for AK & DHS from GF?

Thanks!

I'm wondering if I should do a split stay. 2 nights at AKL and 4 nights at GF. Right now I'm doing 5 nights at GF, but planning to call today to add another night.

The GF does share a bus. The resorts it shares with vary but it's not bad in my limited experience (we always have a car and use it for those parks when staying at the GF).

Are you considering a split stay for convenience to the parks? If that's the only reason, I would not do it. It will take far longer to move and wait for a room than to wait for a bus on two days. And the GF is about as close to DHS as is AKL.

I really like the NEW decor better....... JMHO! ;)

I agree.:goodvibes

What time do the monorails start running? I want to have breakfast at the Wave and want to know how early I can get there.

7 am but they don't "officially" stop at the MK until 7:30.

Breakfast is the only meal we haven't tried at the Wave. Let us know what you think, please.

Another valet question. This $10 a day....if I use valet to park my car on say Thurs & pay them $10 & then the car sits until Sun, I pay $10 on Sunday when they give it to me or do I pay $10 for Fri & Sat as well even though the car was never used? Can't get this through my thick head!!:rotfl:

We self park but it's my understanding that you would pay for Fri & Sat. too. Hopefully, others will confirm....or not.:lmao:

You don't have to call for the car, you can ask when you get down there. It usually only takes about 5 minutes to get it. The only time we call ahead of time is when we know we won't be making any stops along the way. I think you would feel safer, especially when returning at night. Once you pay for valet at one resort, you can also valet at any other resort.

BlueSkies, I could be talked into taking another trip, especially a girls trip.:lmao:
Thank you so much for the info.

I don't like paying a $35 resort parking fee with mandatory valet only to see my car in the parking lot a few steps away from the lobby, it drives me bonkers and it happens a lot. (a side note , evidently a lot drives me bonkers, I must be full on crazy!)

But if the self park is across the street and I'm not paying a resort parking fee, $10 plus tips a day for valet is not a big deal.

It is $10 for each day it is parked in the valet lot, even if you don't use the car.

Hi! i've been GF for my past two trips. The upgrades Do exist. Back in 2005 we were booked for RPC but when we got there upgraded to the 5th floor 3 bath suite with dormer windows....it was AWESOME!!!

This trip in late April, I couldn't get into main building, so I got a suite in the Sugar Loaf building. Does anyone know of a link to the room layout? Also, will I be disappointed in the concierge offerings, I've been so spoiled at the RPC

Maybe I will get an magical upgrade back into the main building?

Mickie:cool1::cheer2:princess:princess:princess: and preggo with #4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter