the Monofail and more

cmurray234

DIS Veteran
We just got back from a 11 day WDW vacation. The weather was perfect, the crowds were mostly low and the CMs were (as usual) great.

The bathrooms were NOT great. This is the first time I've been to the World and thought "whoa. Disgusting". One night at MK, I had to check 4 stalls before I found one that could even pretend to be clean. it was weird.

We also had a funny encounter with a CM on Saturday night. One of the two boats to WL broke, so we waited quite a while for another. While waiting, we saw the line for the Monorail back up..and up...and up until it was down the ramp and around the corner into the park exit.

The CM said all of the other CMs call it the Monofail and that not a single day goes by without it breaking down in one form or another. On Saturday, one whole line had been down all afternoon and night. I think it might be time for a refurb.

Yeah the monorails are absolutely terrible. Problem is, they can't refurb them all at once because of the necessity they are to the Resort's operation, so if they do decide to do anything, it would have to be 1 train at a time.

It doesn't help that they're ridiculously expensive for a benefit that's mostly non-tangible.

Never had a problem with bathrooms. Although when you think about it, it's the guests' fault it's messy. People have horrendous public bathroom habits.

As for the monorail, I must not run into that kind of bad luck. The only time I remember the monorails being down in my four trips as an adult was during the fatal accident on 7/3/09.

Yeah the monorails are absolutely terrible. Problem is, they can't refurb them all at once because of the necessity they are to the Resort's operation, so if they do decide to do anything, it would have to be 1 train at a time.

I think its more than just refurbing the trains. The trains are just part of a much larger system.

They would have to bring down the entire system or at least an entire rail.

And yes doing this may lessen the frequency of these brake downs but it won't stop them.

Every time I see one of these posts I want to file it away to use when I want to reply to a thread titled "Why can't they expand the Monorail to X?"

forget the monorail....why can't all parks and resorts be connected by subway? :rotfl:

i think the bathroom issues are related to decreased staffing at the resorts and parks....i have noticed over the last couple years that the bathrooms are not kept as clean as they used to be....the worst experience for me was at coronado springs a couple years ago...all stalls were very dirty and i had to go find another bathroom all together....very undisneylike...i made a complaint to the front desk but they did not seem too upset...

I remember the Monorail being backed up down the ramp when I was a little kid. I haven't seen that in ages.

I think the monrail is the best WDW transportation... if only it went to DHS and AK....

Never had a problem with the monorails but I do agree with the staffing situation, lower staff means people are streched thin so the bathrooms cant be cleaned as much

If only they served drinks in the monorail queue, then people wouldn't have a problem when the line is long or it breaks down.

Disney is among the world's experts in moving large amounts of people from point A to point B efficiently.

In fact, there are many public transit systems that cost much more, have lower ridership levels, and aren't near as efficient.

In December 2009 we had two Resort Monorail problems.

During the 1st problem as we got on the Resort Monorai at the Contemporary I said to my family something doesn't smell right and I am not taking about that disgusting smell others keep mentioning, I said something smells like it's burning. Well while we were at the TTC and waiting to leave we were just sitting there and then the announcement was made for everyone to get off. Well it took them at least 30 minutes to decide that the Monorail we were on needed to be brought in for service so the Resort line could start up again.

Our 2nd problem happened a few days later. We had just finished eating at the Kona Island Sushi Bar at the Polynesian and were walking back to the Resort Monorail station so we could return to the Contemporary, however we were told the Resort line was down and they didn't know when it would be back up. We then asked how can we get back to the Contemporary? The Monorail Cast Member said walk over to the TTC, take the Express Monorail to the Magic Kingdom and from there walk back. Personally we didn't think that was the best idea so we then talked to a Cast Member working the front desk and told him what happened, so he was going to give us a taxi voucher so we didn't need to pay for one. It turns out they were out of taxi vouchers so he said tell a Cast Member at the Contemporary what happened and if there was going to be a problem he said for them to call him personally. Well as we got back to the Contemporary and told them what happened the Cast Member asked for our room number and took $10.00 off our bill, since the taxi ride was about $7.00 and that was more then we could have asked for.

The bathrooms were NOT great. This is the first time I've been to the World and thought "whoa. Disgusting". One night at MK, I had to check 4 stalls before I found one that could even pretend to be clean. it was weird.

I've never really had a problem with bathroom stalls at Disney World so I have to ask a couple of questions. You said "one night at MK", was it particularly crowded that night? Was it right before or after a parade or Wishes? I ask because the more people that use the facilities in a short amount of time, the dirtier the stall will become. If a Cast Member is supposed to clean the bathroom once an hour (I have no idea, just an example) and 200 people use the bathroom in that hour, it will be much dirtier than another hour when only 20 people use it.

Also, when you said they were "dirty", can you define your meaning of the term? Different people have different measures for that. I'm just curious since I don't really have a problem with bathrooms at Disney so I'm just surprised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter