The Happiest Day of Our Lives...

....So, where was I? Oh yes!

The rest of the bridal party were directed to go out the back of the Yacht club whilst me, Dad, and my two nieces were held back.

So, they went out the back, and my dad looked at me and my nieces. He had no idea why we were not going with them too. Diane smiled and said, “Let’s get this show on the road” then winked at my dad.

We started to walk toward the exit after the lobby was emptied of everyone associated with our wedding.

160202.jpg

16019.jpg

16020.jpg

I think I was thanking people for their support and congratulations at this point…..!

As we got to the doors of the lobby, I saw it. Even now, typing this I actually have tears welling up in my eyes. You cannot imagine, until it happens to you, how that one piece of equipment can make you feel. It was there, in the drive, waiting for me. Waiting for us. Waiting to make our dreams come true. I looked at my dad and he had tears in his eyes. I’ve only seen my dad cry a few times in my life, and those have been very bad times indeed. I knew how he felt now. All of the bad times and all of the sad times seemed like a lifetime away.

He stared at the Carriage and smiled. He was as still as a statue. My nieces were holding his hands. “Are you alright, Grandad?” said the eldest. “It’s real.” said my dad. “It’s really real.” He looked at me. “Is it for us?” he asked, looking at me through his eyes which were shining with tears. I nodded and grinned at him. “Time of our lives” I said, and he knew what I meant. This was it. Everyone deserves the happiest day of their lives, and for my dad, this was a day he will never, ever forget. It wasn’t only the best day of my life, it was his too. It had been such a long time since he was completely happy. My family have had such an awful time in every single sense of the word over the past decade and a half that I can’t even begin to get into it. I know my family had needed something to believe in and this wedding had seemed so far off, but I know my dad clung to it tightly with both hands and his heart. He wanted my dreams to come true as much as I did. More than that though ~ I think he needed them to come true. I was determined that I would make my parents proud, and give back to them memories that they could cherish forever. Memories are priceless, indelible. I’ve only ever wanted to make my parents proud of me.

We stepped out and my youngest niece was like a little goldfish. People were complimenting us and shouting congratulations, but I had tunnel-vision. It would be perfect if I could say I was just over-awed by the carriage and could not wait for my trip, however I’d be lying. It dawned on me that I had an enormously monstrous dress and the carriage appeared to be perfectly petite with a rather narrow doorway ~ or so I thought. I had very clear visions of me either:

a) ripping half my dress off as I got in;
b) getting wedged in the doorway; or
c) whacking my head on the roof.

All rational thoughts, you understand. I can make ANY event ungraceful and disasterous ;)

As it turns out, there are some really delightful and very, very helpful foot-ladies on the carriage with the coolest shades. They take care of the ponies and help Cinderellas-to-be embark on their carriage journeys. They stepped forward to help me and said I should enter first. Now I have no idea how Misty got the photos of me as I have no recollection whatsoever of anyone else being around whilst I was having my internal panic attack about my chosen mode of transport, as magical as it was. ;)

17023.jpg

17024.jpg

17025.jpg

17026.jpg

It's very hard to lift that much dress! I spent most of my day crouching down to grab my layers and run somewhere...
17030.jpg

17031.jpg

17032.jpg

17033.jpg

170332.jpg

As we got to the doors of the lobby, I saw it. Even now, typing this I actually have tears welling up in my eyes. You cannot imagine, until it happens to you, how that one piece of equipment can make you feel. It was there, in the drive, waiting for me. Waiting for us. Waiting to make our dreams come true. I looked at my dad and he had tears in his eyes. I’ve only seen my dad cry a few times in my life, and those have been very bad times indeed. I knew how he felt now. All of the bad times and all of the sad times seemed like a lifetime away.

He stared at the Carriage and smiled. He was as still as a statue. My nieces were holding his hands. “Are you alright, Grandad?” said the eldest. “It’s real.” said my dad. “It’s really real.” He looked at me. “Is it for us?” he asked, looking at me through his eyes which were shining with tears. I nodded and grinned at him. “Time of our lives” I said, and he knew what I meant. This was it. Everyone deserves the happiest day of their lives, and for my dad, this was a day he will never, ever forget. It wasn’t only the best day of my life, it was his too. It had been such a long time since he was completely happy. My family have had such an awful time in every single sense of the word over the past decade and a half that I can’t even begin to get into it. I know my family had needed something to believe in and this wedding had seemed so far off, but I know my dad clung to it tightly with both hands and his heart. He wanted my dreams to come true as much as I did. More than that though ~ I think he needed them to come true. I was determined that I would make my parents proud, and give back to them memories that they could cherish forever. Memories are priceless, indelible. I’ve only ever wanted to make my parents proud of me.

Thanks for making me cry at work :). What a beautiful/magical moment. My Dad has never said he's proud of me either but I know he is. And, like you, that's all I've ever wanted. What an unforgettable moment for the two of you to remember forever.

As the foot-ladies stepped forward and helped me lift my dress they of course caught sight of my converse and were calling each other to have a look. Then some of the passers-by started noticing and shouting compliments, I was smiling so much I thought my cheeks would pop off! Everyone was just so cheerful! So anyway, they actually helped me to guide my foot onto the first step and they explain to you how to get into the carriage. They also kindly hold your hands. Of course, they might not ~ it may have been that I just would not let go of them, ha ha.

17034.jpg

17035.jpg

17036.jpg

170362.jpg

Thanks for making me cry at work :). What a beautiful/magical moment. My Dad has never said he's proud of me either but I know he is. And, like you, that's all I've ever wanted. What an unforgettable moment for the two of you to remember forever.

Oh, thank you! Dads are a funny breed! I'm so grateful that he had such a happy moment. I don't think he has smiled so much in years and years.

Sorry for making you cry at work... ;)

The carriage is actually MUCH bigger inside than it looks! It’s much taller especially. I could stand up and only had to tilt my head forward slightly because of my crown.

17038.jpg

17039.jpg

170392.jpg

Glad to see you back!

What a wonderful daughter you are! To be able to make our parents truly happy is a wonderful thing! I am sure he is VERY PROUD of you! (I am!)

Can't wait to find out what happens next! Loving every minute!

Aw, Sara! You have just made me want the carriage!!!

It looks sooo beautiful!! I love the picture where you're getting in and you can see your converse!!! :):)

You look gorgeous!! I'm sure I would probably be a nervous wreck trying to get in and not fall!! I am such a clutz that I have bruises all the time from who knows what! I run into stuff!

Yay! I'm so glad you're back. I was having slight Sarah-Jayne withdrawals!:rotfl:

Your story is just so beautiful, I really can't wait to read and see the rest!

So so glad that you are back....we have all missed you this past week....don't neglect us again please:laughing:

YAY!!! I am so glad you've sorted the computer problem out and fed my addiction. My first thought was <<sigh, she really does look like a princess.>> The carriage is so special. Unfortunately it is not in the budget for us.

Welcome back!!! You were sorely missed. Everything looks amazing, I got choked up reading about you and your dad, you truly are an amazing writer. I can't get over that carriage, how beautiful you look in it! I can't wait to hear more!

I (and my wife) have completely enjoyed, and been enthralled with your experience - and I am the sarcastic type that finds a dry joke in everything. Your pictures, even the duplicates, and your text are so real and heartfelt that it couldn't be helped that you have melted the ice around my heart.

Whatever your past challenges, I can actually feel the joy and love of this day that you and Gavin had and it makes feel good too. You may see yourself as a 'plain Jayne' but I think that I speak for a great number of people on this post when I say that you are a truly beautiful person.

When we're in Disney this month, I will be thinking of you as we visit the Coral Reef, Fultons and Le Cellier, and hoping that your day at home is at least half as good as ours will be!!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter