But you'll still pay full price to stay at this resort and go to the parks, even though there's only a fraction of the experience available to you.

If they're going to take away the things that make staying there worth the big bucks, then guests should demand that they adjust the room rates accordingly.

A terrible decision. The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra (GFSO) has been an integral part of the Grand Floridian Resort experience, and it's one of the reasons we've stayed there 53 times. The musicians in the GFSO were gifted artists who blended the sounds of their instruments into seamless tapestries of memorable melodies, and their solos were remarkable, inspired by dozens of classic pop and jazz performers. Thank you Pat (RIP), John, David, Rex, "H," and the rest of talented gang. And, of course, thanks for playing #209 so many times for us.

Last edited:
But you'll still pay full price to stay at this resort and go to the parks, even though there's only a fraction of the experience available to you.

If they're going to take away the things that make staying there worth the big bucks, then guests should demand that they adjust the room rates accordingly.
I don't know that I will pay the price. Our July 2021 stay is entirely up in the air...

Just another Chapek cost cutting measure. The guy is the absolute Anti Christ of the overall Disneyworld experience we've all known and loved. There's no surprise, he's consistent and driven to capture the first time visitors and nobody else. Basically we have a concept/park started by a visionary and a daddy now run by greed. It's sad and it drives home that nothing lasts forever.

A terrible decision. The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra (GFSO) has been an integral part of the Grand Floridian Resort experience, and it's one of the reasons we've stayed there 53 times. The musicians in the GFSO were gifted artists who blended the sounds of their instruments into seamless tapestries of memorable melodies, and their solos were remarkable, inspired by dozens of classic pop and jazz performers. Thank you Pat (RIP), John, David, Rex, "H," and the rest of talented gang. And, of course, thanks for playing #209 so many times for us.

I feel the exact same way - and was so sad to hear about Pat on one of our trips. We were there about a month or so before he passed and he spent one of his entire breaks sitting and chatting with us - telling us about he started at the top of the Contemporary restaurant playing the dinner shows there. Then when the GF opened, he was one of the guys who had the thought of starting the Orchestra. It was then about two months later, we were back and, I don't remember who it was - one of the band members, told us that Pat had passed - and it was like earlier in the week. We were so sad - we (me and my two 14 year old godsons) had to take a moment and have a little cry before dinner.

Out of curiosity what was #209? We had our favorites we would always request, but I didn't know them by number (Their version of Grim Grinning Ghosts is better than the original).

I'm SERIOUSLY considering flying down from Boston for their last day/performance. I'd love to sit in the stands with others and just keep requesting our favorites after their last show....dollars to donuts they would stay and play...

Absolutely terrible...can't even imagine sitting in the bar, lobby or RPC without the magical sounds of the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra.

I can only hope that everyone writes to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com and shares their thoughts. Maybe maybe if enough of us do this, something very magical will happen!! :wizard:
There is a petition on change.org to keep the band! Please sign, everyone!

Just another Chapek cost cutting measure. The guy is the absolute Anti Christ of the overall Disneyworld experience we've all known and loved.
We have no way to know if this was Bob C.'s cost cutting decision but we do know that attendance is down 80% over just last year's attendance at this time.

Disney has been unable to fill existing open resorts much less open other resorts that had opening dates that were scheduled and then delayed due to slow guests bookings and attendance recovery. They still have 10 of thousands of CMs on Furlough or now laid off.

Dave

I feel the exact same way - and was so sad to hear about Pat on one of our trips. We were there about a month or so before he passed and he spent one of his entire breaks sitting and chatting with us - telling us about he started at the top of the Contemporary restaurant playing the dinner shows there. Then when the GF opened, he was one of the guys who had the thought of starting the Orchestra. It was then about two months later, we were back and, I don't remember who it was - one of the band members, told us that Pat had passed - and it was like earlier in the week. We were so sad - we (me and my two 14 year old godsons) had to take a moment and have a little cry before dinner.

Out of curiosity what was #209? We had our favorites we would always request, but I didn't know them by number (Their version of Grim Grinning Ghosts is better than the original).

I'm SERIOUSLY considering flying down from Boston for their last day/performance. I'd love to sit in the stands with others and just keep requesting our favorites after their last show....dollars to donuts they would stay and play...

Song #209 of "Moonglow," written by George Duning for the 1955 film "Picnic." The most popular version was the Morris Stoloff version in 1956.

This is sad news. I am curious - why did they have to move the Orchestra in the first place? Why couldn't they keep them up on the 2nd floor outside of the new Enchanted Rose?

Does anyone know if the new Enchanted Rose location is considered to be successful or not? Honestly whenever I see videos of it from it's opening last year it looks totally empty. Many vloggers covered it in those first few months before the pandemic, and all the videos seem the same. They have all that extra space and it seems to be empty. Why can't they just put the band back where they were?

I know that back in the day when Mizners was open bloggers used to joke that it was always dead, but I watched several YT videos of Mizners and it looked busier then vs. how Enchanted Rose is now. The vibe with the open air feel into the lobby and the Orchestra and totally missing now. It just has no vibe at all. Anyone who has been there in person feel free to weigh in if you felt differently?

This is sad news. I am curious - why did they have to move the Orchestra in the first place? Why couldn't they keep them up on the 2nd floor outside of the new Enchanted Rose?

Does anyone know if the new Enchanted Rose location is considered to be successful or not? Honestly whenever I see videos of it from it's opening last year it looks totally empty. Many vloggers covered it in those first few months before the pandemic, and all the videos seem the same. They have all that extra space and it seems to be empty. Why can't they just put the band back where they were?

I know that back in the day when Mizners was open bloggers used to joke that it was always dead, but I watched several YT videos of Mizners and it looked busier then vs. how Enchanted Rose is now. The vibe with the open air feel into the lobby and the Orchestra and totally missing now. It just has no vibe at all. Anyone who has been there in person feel free to weigh in if you felt differently?

The Orchestra did need to move to open Enchanted Rose - they took the space for shop there (the mens/golf shop) and what was Mizners as well as some of the space where the Orchestra was located. They sounded AWESOME when they were on the stage on the main floor - but it looked pretty temporary, but they could have built it up and made it work and relocated the gingerbread house a little - or moved the Orchestra to where the birdcage is - or something.

As far as Enchanted Rose goes - I'm not a fan at all. The vibe is very wrong for the Grand. Nothing about that venue says Victorian Grandeur. The style is forced and is actually a little jarring. Also, the drinks are a little odd (and I am all for a super high end cocktail). I have yet to find a drink there I like. And, worst - the bar doesn't stock some normal bar staples. So can't even get off menu. Gone is the Grand Cocktail...or even a decent cosmo.

Maybe - I'll still hold out hope that after the COVID fades away - they'll get the band back together in a great space...to bring the Grand back to....well...Grand...

The atmosphere at Disney parks and resorts has always been enhanced by live music, delivered by the pleasantly upbeat folks who play the instruments. But no longer. Gone from Epcot are Mo'Rockin, Off Kilter, and the Spirit of American fife and drum corps. Gone from Hollywood Studios are Mulch, Sweat and Shears. And there are others. Now, the bell tolls on the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra. [On a non-musical note are such casualties as Miyuki at Japan and PUSH, the talking garbage can at the Magic Kingdom.] Keep goin' Disney: surely there are other wonderful Cast Members you can get rid of. After all, it really isn't all about the so-called magic, is it?

Last edited:
When I took a look at the WDWMagic app today, here was the first page. It’s all you need to know, unfortunately.
813B1903-6F2C-4843-8D7E-12CF48819902.png

The atmosphere at Disney parks and resorts has always been enhanced by live music, delivered by the pleasantly upbeat folks who play the instruments. But no longer. Gone from Epcot are Mo'Rockin, Off Kilter, and the Spirit of American fife and drum corps. Gone from Hollywood Studios are Mulch, Sweat and Shears. And there are others. Now, the bell tolls on the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra. [On a non-musical note are such casualties as Miyuki at Japan and PUSH, the talking garbage can at the Magic Kingdom.] Keep goin' Disney: surely there are other wonderful Cast Members you can get rid of. After all, it really isn't all about the so-called magic, is it?
I was thinking about Miyuki too. She was always a must see for us. They got rid of the drummers from Japan too. They are just taking all the personality away. It's heartbreaking. I don't think they really get what we see and want when we go to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter