• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

It was like that during Fastpass+ too. My sister worked at Big Thunder at the merge and she said often times it was 10:1 or even 15:1. But I agree, it is pretty ridiculous.
Maybe you could answer a question then - did your sister have to wait until 10 or 15 FP guests went through before letting standby in, even if there was a large gap in the FP line? Or did she have discretion to let some standby guests go, if no FP guests were in view?

Maybe you could answer a question then - did your sister have to wait until 10 or 15 FP guests went through before letting standby in, even if there was a large gap in the FP line? Or did she have discretion to let some standby guests go, if no FP guests were in view?
I just asked her and she said if there no one in the Fastpass line, then she was allowed to let standby people through. If a Fastpass group came in the line then the standby would immediately be stopped and the ratio would "start over", if that makes any sense? She did say that during busy periods, her manager told her to essentially ignore the ratio and she had to clear out almost the entire Fastpass queue before any standby could come through. She worked there before Covid so she isn't sure if this is how they operate now.

It was. I agree. It feels worse when there’s actual money involved lol.
It makes sense to have a high ratio of LL to Standby. Those in the LL queue paid for it so they should get a lesser wait. That's how skip the line systems work everywhere else.

It makes sense to have a high ratio of LL to Standby. Those in the LL queue paid for it so they should get a lesser wait. That's how skip the line systems work everywhere else.
Of course everyone thinks people who pay should have a shorter wait. That's the entire point. But Disney alone controls how many slots they sell, which is what makes the difference between it being a minor annoyance to the non-paying guests (and by non-paying, I mean the ones who paid to be there but didn't pay extra to skip the line) and a maddening road block to them being able to access many attractions at all.

Of course everyone thinks people who pay should have a shorter wait. That's the entire point. But Disney alone controls how many slots they sell, which is what makes the difference between it being a minor annoyance to the non-paying guests (and by non-paying, I mean the ones who paid to be there but didn't pay extra to skip the line) and a maddening road block to them being able to access many attractions at all.
Maybe once they start capping sales June 8th it won't be as much a factor.

I'm trying to decide if purchasing G+ will be worth it for our family of 3. Our trip is in July and I know I need to purchase by 6/8 or wait until day of.

It's $479 for our trip which is a decent chunk of change for me but not a deal-breaker.

However, my boys don't like coasters or many of the "big" rides. (Both say they're willing to try a coaster on this trip but I'm not holding out hope that they'll love it and want to do more.)

For this reason alone I'm leaning towards purchasing one day at a time. However, I'm worried there could be a sizeable price increase by then.

Thoughts?

I'm trying to decide if purchasing G+ will be worth it for our family of 3. Our trip is in July and I know I need to purchase by 6/8 or wait until day of.

It's $479 for our trip which is a decent chunk of change for me but not a deal-breaker.

However, my boys don't like coasters or many of the "big" rides. (Both say they're willing to try a coaster on this trip but I'm not holding out hope that they'll love it and want to do more.)

For this reason alone I'm leaning towards purchasing one day at a time. However, I'm worried there could be a sizeable price increase by then.

Thoughts?
I would do it on the basis of waiting in line (for me anyway) increases anticipation and anxiety as well. If they are nervous to try something new, will waiting in a longer line and being anxious for a longer time set them up for failure to go through with riding? Just a thought. If the price isn’t a deal breaker I’d go for it.

Of course I haven’t used it yet and don’t even have a trip planned, but I would for sure get it in your shoes. Any amount of time saved waiting in a line is worth it- that time all adds up in a day.

Also, July is SO hot, any time saved waiting in line out in the sun would be worth it as well.

I would do it on the basis of waiting in line (for me anyway) increases anticipation and anxiety as well. If they are nervous to try something new, will waiting in a longer line and being anxious for a longer time set them up for failure to go through with riding? Just a thought. If the price isn’t a deal breaker I’d go for it.

Of course I haven’t used it yet and don’t even have a trip planned, but I would for sure get it in your shoes. Any amount of time saved waiting in a line is worth it- that time all adds up in a day.

Also, July is SO hot, any time saved waiting in line out in the sun would be worth it as well.
This last statement is one reason we went ahead and added it for our entire trip (but it's August for us). I would think too that you would be at an advantage of not wanting the headliners as from watching Genie+ the past week or so, these are the ones that sell out quickly. So for you, you should be able to book what you want....and limit time waiting in line in the sun. But it is an additional $479, so it just depends on if its in your budget . For us, we happen to be limiting ADRs anyways, so we can justify the extra cost on Genie+.

Thank you! I think I'll spend a few days watching G+ on the app and seeing what we might reasonably book each day to see if I think it's worth it.

We're also rope drop people and not park hopping so I know that will impact our decision.

Depends on when you’re going (hopefully not 4th July weekend) and which rides you’re ok waiting for (tier 3 now have 30-40 min waits) and age of your kids. Be prepared for the heat (lines like SDMT and SDD are hard to wait in the sun.

To rope drop, you need to be at the transportation an hour before the extra morning 30 mins (so 1.5 hr before park opens) or you’re waiting the same time as someone who entered 40 mins after park opening.

If ROTR goes down during the extra 30 mins, you don’t get a recovery pass.

Crowds now are like nothing you’ve seen before:

Historically speaking though, seeing something pop up and successfully grabbing it is a whole different story!!!

I saw many, many things pop up on our trip and not once was I successful grabbing it even though I quickly started the steps immediately.
Yes. In 1.5 hour I saw Frozen pop up 4 times and error before I was finally able to secure it. We are a party of 4 riders. Key is not to give up. I had secured Test Track at 7 am.

Just a note, we averaged 20k steps at WDW. Towards the end of the trip even an hour saved seemed worth the $60 (party of 4 riders, 1 infant) for us.

Thanks! It won't be 4th of July, and my last two trips have been the same time of year so we know what to expect in terms of heat.

Not sure if the teenager will choose to do the early entry (I hope he does) but you better believe my other son and I will be some of the first to arrive well before opening. I've only missed one rope drop in the past two trips and that's the morning I had to check out and check my bags before I could leave for the park.

It's just G+ that's new for us and it will be my 7-year-old's first visit.

Honestly, if I knew for sure the price wouldn't go up, I'd just wait and buy it each day.

Thoughts?
I nicknamed Genie+ the Patience Pass - because this mom struggles with patience! When we were there it was hot- another reason why I am glad we had. We bought it day-by-day and every day, except our pool day. When I walked by the people in standby and they were withering, I was so happy we had it. It stinks that Disney has this and it's more $$$ but on the flip side, I heard so many complaining about lack of getting on things when they didn't have it - so if you look at it this way, you pay all the $$$ for the base ticket and don't get to ride many things, to me that is more a waste of $$$.

I don't have faith Disney will cap it low enough to make that much difference.
From things I have heard come June 8th it will be capped a lot. Then as the days go by it will rise til they find that sweet spot. Yes they have messed up Genie+ but I do think they realize that they have over sold it.

From things I have heard come June 8th it will be capped a lot. Then as the days go by it will rise til they find that sweet spot. Yes they have messed up Genie+ but I do think they realize that they have over sold it.
If they actually cap it in a meaningful way, will have to give some sign-up advantage to on-site guests I would imagine…

If they actually cap it in a meaningful way, will have to give some sign-up advantage to on-site guests I would imagine…
There is not reason to give on-site guests anything right now. People are showing they don't need perks to fill the resorts.

I’ve seen this addressed but I’m not sure I ever saw/understood a definite answer.
Scenario: DAK in the am and DHS in the pm. If we booked Dino at 7:40am with a 7:00 ETPE, after tapping in could we start stacking G+ for DHS? If DHS has a park open of 8:30, would we be next eligible to book G+ at 9:45ish based off 2 hour rule of tapping into Dino at 7:40? Thinking while we would miss first G+ at DHS, it could potentially get us ahead of the 2 hour DHS surges and possibly be advantageous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter