• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The (Foodie)Force is Strong with Us...a Feb/Mar 2016 trip! THE END - NEW 9/13 Disneyland TR link!

PTR Update for 2017...

I know it's not even mid-year (yet) and I'm already thinking about 2017 vacations! When we went on our cruise on the Fantasy we made a deposit for another booking to secure the on board booking discount. A few weeks ago I used that discount to book us a room on the Wonder to Alaska next September. However it is a really expensive cruise and we'd still have to fly out to Vancouver which is just added $$$ and more days needed for the trip. I wasn't sure I was ready for Alaska yet. Then yesterday when Disney released their Fall 2017 itineraries, I saw that they are continuing their cruises from NYC! Which means we wouldn't have to fly anywhere! I spotted a cruise that sounded very interesting, a 7-night Canadian Coast cruise, so I made the switch to this itinerary:

7-Night Canadian Cruise from New York Oct 21st 2017

New York • At Sea • At Sea • Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island)Sydney, Nova ScotiaHalifax, Nova Scotia • At Sea

It sounds really unique because we stop at Prince Edward Island which I've always wanted to visit. I was a huge Anne of Green Gables fan growing up so I think this will satisfy my desire to visit "Green Gables" since I first read the books. I hear the scenery is also really nice, and it will be fall, so the leaves will have changed color. It won't be warm though, so I'll have to be prepared for that, but then again, neither is Alaska! Has anyone been to any of these ports? I've been to Halifax once and it was very pretty. I'm looking forward to eating some fresh seafood from PEI and surrounding areas. I wonder if fireworks are allowed on Canadian cruises?

We also saved a little bit of money switching to the Canada cruise so we went up one stateroom category from a 7a (navigator's verandah) to a 6a (proper verandah but with a white wall). I may upgrade again to a 5C so we could get the verandah with the clear wall. It's not a huge deal to me though and it's a difference of a few hundred dollars, but then again we have already saved a huge amount in airfare! I'm super excited about leaving from NYC. Now I won't feel so sad when the Magic departs NYC this fall (my office building faces the port so I will be able to see the Magic leaving and traveling down the Hudson river...without me!) as I know I'll be on her next year!

While discussing the possibility of my family joining us for this cruise, they kept flip flopping back and forth. Chunkysis was not sure if she'd make the cruise, and our other sister (ChunkyTwin2) is a teacher so she said she could not go during the school year at all - so she and her family was out of the question. Then ChunkyTwin1 and her DH didn't want to go to Canada and she'd rather do the Bahamas cruise. I was ok with that and then looked into dates and was almost set on moving it to the Nov 7th Bahamian sailing. In the end though they decided not to do the cruise during the fall and to focus on a time period when all of us could go on vacation.

So now we are looking at doing Disney World and possibly a short Disney Dream cruise in....August 2017, quite possibly my least favorite time to go...(although July would actually be worse). Heat...humidity...crowds...lines...help!!

So for the sake of being with the family and having everyone able to go, it looks like I will be planning some sort of trip for Aug 2017...and it won't be easy! This trip will include at least 6 adults and 4 kids all under the age of 5. And if my parents and CS comes (which is most likely the case) I'm looking at even more planning. Everyone has a different budget and all of them are pretty much Disney newbies, aside from CS. In addition, I fear my family's indecisiveness. How do you think I should go about planning a trip for such a large group of people? I'm thinking we need at least 3-4 rooms. I have no idea how much this is going to cost either! Yikes. Looks like my work is cut out for me. :faint:

I'm still keeping the Canadian cruise though for DH and myself. :thumbsup2

Great cruises you have planned and a trip to WDW, the one year we will not be going in the August. :rotfl2:

Cruising from NY must be so awesome - would love to do that, but I guess I need to retire first - being a teacher I cannot get away during the school year, just like your sister.
But I can confirm that the cruises on the Dream are a lot of fun, even in August and with so many people you could even get a Cabana at CC - they are awesome!

WOW WOW WOW! How exciting! :hyper:

It sounds really unique because we stop at Prince Edward Island which I've always wanted to visit. I was a huge Anne of Green Gables fan growing up so I think this will satisfy my desire to visit "Green Gables" since I first read the books.
Same! Halifax is also mentioned in the books quite often, so that should be pretty cool, too!

So for planning for big groups...I have a friend who brought al lot of people to WDW last year (some newbies, some had not been in a while and a few experienced), and the key for her was having several planning meetings (usually at a restaurant for an hour or two at a time. I can ask how she strategized if you would like? You need to find out what each one's priority is for the trip...I suspect they are not going to want to split up and go on their own like you, your hubby and sister do. (at least that was my experience with a very diverse small group last year) If they are not willing to go it on their own, you are certainly in for a different sort of trip. That's why it is important to get their expectations from the start. I would have a separate room for each family group (I know you and hubby and sister share a room often...but is someone willing to share with parents?) I think the groups with kids definitely need their own rooms...maybe mom and dad could share a suite of some sort with them if in the budget? And as hot as August is, just make sure you plan everyone an afternoon break...we used to go late July early August (we know it is important!)

The cruise sounds DIVINE! I am a huge Anne of Green Gables fan too...read all the books as an adult (well sort of...right after college I discovered them!) So that would be fun for me too.

I went to PEI for a week when I was a teen because of my Anne of Green Gables obsession! (I'm a redhead, so she's certainly a kindred spirit!) I loved it and am so excited about these Canadian Coast cruises. The island is small, so the north shore, where all the Anne stuff is, isn't very far from Charlottetown. I remember being a little disappointed with the Green Gables site because it was incredibly touristy, but there were a lot of other Anne/LM Montgomery museums and sites to visit!

I haven't done a large group, but I like to use Touring Plans. You can use the personalized ones and use the "evaluate" option. This will create a plan with wait times in the order you have the rides listed. You can give everyone a copy, and then each can decide what they want to do. I think it would be easier than just a spreadsheet, because it has times that would allow others to separate and potentially meet back up at a certain time. There's also the VIP tours, but those are really expensive. It might be a nice option for a day or two, like the MK day. Good luck:goodvibes It will be worth the effort in the end. Remember the family suites and villas as lodging potential.

It sounds really unique because we stop at Prince Edward Island which I've always wanted to visit. I was a huge Anne of Green Gables fan growing up so I think this will satisfy my desire to visit "Green Gables" since I first read the books.
I am not one who ever wants to go on a cruise due to my motion issues, but this one did intrigue me for this very reason. I have always wanted to see this region after reading the books.

Now I won't feel so sad when the Magic departs NYC this fall (my office building faces the port so I will be able to see the Magic leaving and traveling down the Hudson river...without me!) as I know I'll be on her next year!
I think you are looking at this wrong. no need to feel sad because you aren't on it just be grateful to get to see some Disney magic from your office regularly! pixiedust:

Everyone has a different budget and all of them are pretty much Disney newbies, aside from CS. In addition, I fear my family's indecisiveness. How do you think I should go about planning a trip for such a large group of people? I'm thinking we need at least 3-4 rooms. I have no idea how much this is going to cost either! Yikes. Looks like my work is cut out for me. :faint:
I'd say the parents of the kids need to be in charge of the decisions for the kids. I'd have a few meetings and set dates that things need to happen by but make everyone in charge of their own family unit. And go into with a good deal of patience.

I'm still keeping the Canadian cruise though for DH and myself. :thumbsup2
:thumbsup2

Great cruises you have planned and a trip to WDW, the one year we will not be going in the August. :rotfl2:

Darn we'll keep missing each other!! What do you have planned for 2017?

Cruising from NY must be so awesome - would love to do that, but I guess I need to retire first - being a teacher I cannot get away during the school year, just like your sister. But I can confirm that the cruises on the Dream are a lot of fun, even in August and with so many people you could even get a Cabana at CC - they are awesome!

Thanks! Yeah we are all held to the school schedule now when we do family trips so they are usually when it's really hot and also when rates are really expensive. I'm hopping that the 3rd week of August

WOW WOW WOW! How exciting! :hyper:

Same! Halifax is also mentioned in the books quite often, so that should be pretty cool, too!

I know! It sounds like a fun itinerary! Of course I will miss Castaway Cay though...

So for planning for big groups...I have a friend who brought al lot of people to WDW last year (some newbies, some had not been in a while and a few experienced), and the key for her was having several planning meetings (usually at a restaurant for an hour or two at a time. I can ask how she strategized if you would like? You need to find out what each one's priority is for the trip...I suspect they are not going to want to split up and go on their own like you, your hubby and sister do. (at least that was my experience with a very diverse small group last year) If they are not willing to go it on their own, you are certainly in for a different sort of trip. That's why it is important to get their expectations from the start. I would have a separate room for each family group (I know you and hubby and sister share a room often...but is someone willing to share with parents?) I think the groups with kids definitely need their own rooms...maybe mom and dad could share a suite of some sort with them if in the budget? And as hot as August is, just make sure you plan everyone an afternoon break...we used to go late July early August (we know it is important!)

Haha that sounds like a full time job! I will do my best to accommodate the kiddos, I think that is the number one priority. one of my sisters, who is preggers now with baby #2 will have a 10 month old on the trip so I think we will have to make sure all the kids get their nap time and pool time in.

The cruise sounds DIVINE! I am a huge Anne of Green Gables fan too...read all the books as an adult (well sort of...right after college I discovered them!) So that would be fun for me too.

I know right? Seems like a really great place to visit to bring back all those memories from the books and the movies!

Wow! your Victoria and Albert's dinner looked great!

Some of the things on the menu are a little out of my comfort zone but it would be great to try it someday. My SIL and her Ex went for their Honeymoon and on our trip in 2011 for their anniversary.

Love that you are going to DLR! I really want to go there someday. We had tentative plans to go there in November last year but it never happened because my hubby lost his job. He has a great one now so we might revisit those plans sometime soon.

Your 2017 Cruise plans sound really great! I have always been interested on a NE/Canada Itinerary, I am a big Anne of Green Gables fan too. My friend and her mom did a NE/Canada cruise a few years ago and they really loved it.

This cruise sounds like so much fun! And getting to leave from your "home port" will be pretty neat as well. It will also cut the temptation be hoping over to WDW after...but that could also be the hard part! LOL!

How do you think I should go about planning a trip for such a large group of people? I'm thinking we need at least 3-4 rooms. I have no idea how much this is going to cost either! Yikes. Looks like my work is cut out for me. :faint:

You could look into renting DVC points, checking to see how many points/the cost of that many points for a Grand Villa. They have large ones at AKL that sleep up to 13 or 14. Will just have to look into the floor plans to see if the layout and available sleeping areas are suitable. Or maybe renting points for a few 2 bedroom villas. those sleep 6 maybe 7. The Old Key West rooms are very spacious and are less points and they are 1, 2, and 3 bedrooms.

I've heard FP+ for the Radiator Racers run out very quickly!!

That ride looks like SO much fun!!! Sorta like TT at Epcot maybe?

While the Alaska cruise WAS fantastic...I can totally get your rationale for switching to the Canada one. Being Canadian...I have been to some, but not all of those places. PEI is somewhere I'd love to visit - and how cool to do it on a cruise ship!! The weather could go either way at that time of year...so you'll have to be prepared for anything...but...it should be warmer than Alaska lol. I have no idea if the rules are different for fireworks in Canada or not lol...we do have them on holidays here too though but no clue about on cruises lol.

Everyone has a different budget and all of them are pretty much Disney newbies, aside from CS. In addition, I fear my family's indecisiveness. How do you think I should go about planning a trip for such a large group of people? I'm thinking we need at least 3-4 rooms. I have no idea how much this is going to cost either! Yikes. Looks like my work is cut out for me.

Oh man...I can not imagine the logistics of planning that lol. I am planning a trip for this summer with my kids and parents and MIL and...it is Not...easy...and throw the whole planning spreadsheet requiring detail needed for WDW...well hat's off to you if you can pull that off and stay sane lol

Me too!! I re-read that whole series a few years ago, and I enjoyed it just as much as I did when I was a teenager. I still swoon for Gilbert! :lovestruc
That cruise sounds awesome!​

Aloha! Our time in Maui is drawing to a close (we fly out in 47 hours....waaahhhhh!!!) but I'm catching up with the Disboards before bed.

You cancelled Alaska?! Well, yes the airfare would be pretty expensive to Van-city (I'm finding just horrible prices from Van-Houston for January and they aren't much better from Seattle....grrrrr!!!) but excited about your new cruise to the CDN east-coast! Colour me jealous, I have yet to see anything east of Montreal :rolleyes2 And why? Because flying from Vancouver to Nova Scotia/PEI etc is more expensive than flying from Vancouver to Europe!!!!!:mad:

Good luck with the planning of the family trip, I look forward to reading about what you've decided!

BTW we drove the road to Hana today.....god it has more twists and turns than California Screamin'! :crazy2: I forgot to mention I'm on instagram (I follow you) and have been posting photos of our trip each day, in case you were interested :flower1:

I haven't done a large group, but I like to use Touring Plans. You can use the personalized ones and use the "evaluate" option. This will create a plan with wait times in the order you have the rides listed. You can give everyone a copy, and then each can decide what they want to do. I think it would be easier than just a spreadsheet, because it has times that would allow others to separate and potentially meet back up at a certain time. There's also the VIP tours, but those are really expensive. It might be a nice option for a day or two, like the MK day. Good luck:goodvibes It will be worth the effort in the end. Remember the family suites and villas as lodging potential.

I use touring plans too but as a rough guide. I've never actually printed anything out or followed one of their official plans. I mainly use it for crowd calendars and wait times. I may have to use it on this trip though. Aack what have I gotten myself into? You know, I will try to keep it from getting crazy on my part. I will plan 1 meal a day with the whole group then let them be flexible the rest of the time. I'll even make them do their own FP+ because I'm sure they will be doing all the kiddie rides. Anyways...how does the ride swap work? I'll have to let them know. Do the parents make FP+ for the ride that they want at the same time to and you just take turns? I really want to give the adults a chance to ride some of the big ticket rides too like space mountain. I'll even volunteer to watch my nieces and nephew for bit!

I am not one who ever wants to go on a cruise due to my motion issues, but this one did intrigue me for this very reason. I have always wanted to see this region after reading the books.

Yeah, it sounds like such a cool destination! A lot of people love Anne of Green Gables!

I think you are looking at this wrong. no need to feel sad because you aren't on it just be grateful to get to see some Disney magic from your office regularly! pixiedust:

You are right! I will think happy thoughts and only be a little bit sad I'm not on the boat. :rotfl:

I'd say the parents of the kids need to be in charge of the decisions for the kids. I'd have a few meetings and set dates that things need to happen by but make everyone in charge of their own family unit. And go into with a good deal of patience.

:thumbsup2

Thanks! Yeah I think patience is key. I don't want to be overly swamped with the planning because knowing myself I will want to be in full-control mode and I don't think anyone wants that! I will plan the basics, lodging, transport, some meals and leave the FP+ and park touring up to the individual families. I'm sure the parents with kids will want to stick together while the rest of us adults will go find some thrill rides. BTW, what do you think is the best rides for kids to FP+? I guess characters too, although one of my nieces is scared of characters - she may overcome this next year though. :)

BTW, what do you think is the best rides for kids to FP+? I guess characters too, although one of my nieces is scared of characters - she may overcome this next year though. :)
That depends a lot on the kids, how old they are and what they like. If they are near Little Miss's age then I'd say Tink and Cinderella are musts

Wow, who awesome to be able to go on a disney cruise right from your home port. We have some close ones in Baltimore, but sadly its 90% carnival and no Disney.

The Canadian itinerary sounds really interesting too. Like you I was huge Anne of Green Gables fan too, so how cool to see it for yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter