The end of 30% off at Disney?

CTPoly425

Earning My Ears
Hello!

In past years, year after year, we have always seen public offers of 30% off for the holiday season. Even at deluxe resorts. Even at our beloved Polynesian. Even up to the days just before Christmas.

This year, the discount seems to work out to about 10%.

Are the good old days over? Is occupancy at Disney now so high that 10% is the new normal? A concierge room at the Polynesian is over $1000 even with a discount now!

It seems odd that discounts of 30% are now in the range of 10% - a tremendous change in just a single year.

I don't think that they need to offer 30% this holiday season. I booked a BB at 30% off, but that was a full year in advance. I booked at BC, and that resort is pretty booked. My friend is trying to book anything with her DVC points and is striking out. I bet the census is pretty near full.

There is currently a public 20% off offer that runs different date blocks up to Dec. 23. You have to book by Oct. 8.

Link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/holiday-room/

Note: Disney only has to offer discounts to fill rooms, so if the rooms are booked or people are holding possible reservations to cancel later or change if a discount comes out later However this method causes issues for guests and also for Disney. It is just like the multiple ADR the guests book and then cancel multiples at the last minute.

Dave

Well...not strictly true. I mean, it's true that the Poly is 10% but there are 20% discounts for other resorts. 15% for moderates. I actually think that's a pretty good discount all around- I agree with the above, I don't really think they need discounts at all to reach full occupancy that time of year.

Wonder why not the Poly? Maybe with the construction done they think people will be eager to stay there even without a discount? (Is the construction done? I have no idea:confused3)

The 1st time I stayed at the Poly 2010 we had a 40% off discount, general public. It was a fantastic deal! I know that is not going to happen again, but we love the Poly and hope some good discounts (better than 10%) will be available soon.

I think that there may be some resorts that will see a 30% discount at the beginning of 2017. SSR and OKW are ones that I think might hit that number.

We received an e-mail PIN code for 30% off deluxe resorts for the pre-Christmas season. We took advantage of it and are going in early December.

I think it depends when you book/what offers are applicable to you. Discounts are certainly down from a few years back when 35%-40% were possible through AP or Bounceback, but 30% was still available. I have just over 30% off in December split between Poly/BC. This was booked though a TA but I could have gotten the same discount otherwise through a PIN I received or AP discount. Hopefully it doesn't drop much more than that.

I think it depends when you book/what offers are applicable to you. Discounts are certainly down from a few years back when 35%-40% were possible through AP or Bounceback, but 30% was still available. I have just over 30% off in December split between Poly/BC. This was booked though a TA but I could have gotten the same discount otherwise through a PIN I received or AP discount. Hopefully it doesn't drop much more than that.

Really appreciate this reply in particular! How can I find a TA that has the 30% discount?

I got a 30% off pin code randomly in an email a couple months ago that I used for our sep and dec trips. It was for repeat customers.

Here at the WL hoping to book our usual BB for next year,when lo and behold,only BB offer is for free dining,which we don't need/want. This is the first time we have encountered no RO discounts for value season booking dates. Not even the usual calendar in the room pamphlets. We called the official Disney travel number and got confirmation that the only BB offer being put out there now is for free dining. We were told to see what happens come Spring. We are currently staying here under a 35% BB offer we got last Dec. I have a sinking feeling that could be the last time we see the number 35.......

I got 25% off two nights at yahct club in December with annual pass holiday discount. Club level room too, so saved close to 150 per night

Here at the WL hoping to book our usual BB for next year,when lo and behold,only BB offer is for free dining,which we don't need/want. This is the first time we have encountered no RO discounts for value season booking dates. Not even the usual calendar in the room pamphlets. We called the official Disney travel number and got confirmation that the only BB offer being put out there now is for free dining. We were told to see what happens come Spring. We are currently staying here under a 35% BB offer we got last Dec. I have a sinking feeling that could be the last time we see the number 35.......

Sorry about that! I believe from last year the room only Bounceback will be out in mid-October. Hopefully it's still 35%.

We have been going to Disney for years and I have never received a PIN. After thousands upon thousands of dollars spent on property!

In the past it has not mattered as much, since it was relatively easy to find 30% off even at the Polynesian for the weeks before Christmas. Now that it seems like Disney is testing out public discounts as low as 10% at Poly, the PINs seem more important. Considering Disney on-property prices these days, the difference between 10% and 30% is HUGE on an average stay.

Does anyone know how to get onto the PIN-list? Or have any idea why some people just don't ever receive them? It seems like many of you on the boards have found the secret to getting PINs!

Does anyone know how to get onto the PIN-list? Or have any idea why some people just don't ever receive them? It seems like many of you on the boards have found the secret to getting PINs!

I have tried every hint and trick mentioned on the boards, and have never received a pin. Ever. It doesn't hurt to try, but keep your expectations realistic.

I am in the group that feels guests are basically shooting themselves in the foot by booking rooms in advance and hoping to apply discounts later. I feel that reduces Disney's incentive to discount rooms because it artificially inflates the occupancy. Of course, I have no way of knowing how many of those people will cancel and move offsite if they don't get the discount they hope for, and how many will bite the bullet and go ahead paying rack rate. I typically wait until the discounts are released and book the best option from the discounted availability.

I used to ask the same thing, signed up for anything I could Disney related, completed surveys when asked in the parks, and requested the vacation DVDs. I was never really successful I'm getting PINs (besides when the AKL opened or for value resorts - both I didn't use). For whatever reason over the last year or so I seem to get emailed PINs often, many times similar to the VISA or public discount. I would sign up for as much Disney Resort related stuff you can.

I am in the group that feels guests are basically shooting themselves in the foot by booking rooms in advance and hoping to apply discounts later. I feel that reduces Disney's incentive to discount rooms because it artificially inflates the occupancy.

I generally agree with this. Disney doesn't need to discount rooms if they are full. Many people book placeholders *in case* a discount comes out to apply later. This doesn't even always work as a new booking needs to be available under the specific offer, whether or not you have that same room category booked. I would only book in advance at rack rate if you are likely going at that price (or less).

The 1st time I stayed at the Poly 2010 we had a 40% off discount, general public. It was a fantastic deal! I know that is not going to happen again, but we love the Poly and hope some good discounts (better than 10%) will be available soon.

2010 was the best! We got a 45% bounceback at OKW in June and 40% at BWV in December. Yes we went 3 times that year!

I used to get pin codes...then we moved and they changed to emails and havent gotten one since. Are they only via email now? Im worried its hitting a filter or something... My DH doesnt have an MDE set up, so Im considering setting him up for one and going through the "recommended" ways - ordering the DVD (which is something I did on mine prior to when I started getting Pins). Im hoping they come back. Aside from the Pin nonsense, I was also highly disappointed in the Deluxe discounts for December. We did Contemporary last year with 25% I think? Then we got a Pin code and rebooked at 30% off in a TPV....I would love to do that again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter