The dreaded colonoscopy prep is up on me.

AmazingGrace

Relax! It's a message board!
It'll be with Go Lightly. Y'all please give me some tips to get through it? Anything would be greatly appreciated. My scope is Monday.

Drink Up!.........Cheers!........Salute!...........

Some ginger ale provides a bit of relief.

just chug it......I didn't think it was that bad. Just a lot to drink.
Then the fun starts ;)

It'll be with Go Lightly. Y'all please give me some tips to get through it? Anything would be greatly appreciated. My scope is Monday.
I mixed my solution with Crystal Lite Peach tea packets. I can't stand lemonade and the provided "flavor packet" just didn't appeal to me. Just don't mix it with any red colored flavor.

Also, rinsing my mouth with ginger ale after each 8 oz drink session kept the flavor from staying in my mouth.

Resign yourself to sitting on the toilet. Put in a supply of magazines, books, something to pass the time.

Our doctor has changed procedure to having us drink half the night before and half REALLY early the morning of (supposedly gets cleaner results).

One thing that has really helped me in the past is to start eating lightly a week before, lighter and lighter each day (easily digestible stuff), and then going to only liquids even a little bit earlier than what they recommend. Also, to drink LOTS of fluids.

My DGM suffered terribly with colon cancer, so our entire family started getting colonoscopies early and regularly, so I'm kind of used to them at this point. 24 hrs of discomfort is a small price to pay for early detection.....

Terri

Make sure it is super cold. I used a straw so I would avoid as much of the salty taste as I could.

Also, drink plenty of water too, that stuff dehydrates like crazy.

Good luck. I try to eat light a few days prior. Last time I had problems and threw up the prep. Turned out okay though, just took a break and started drinking it again. My dr. switched to miralax prep You really couldn't taste it.

I've heard of people adding alcohol to the prep to make it more enjoyable.

I have to admit, that isn't the kind of prep enjoyment I would be looking for. When I take the atomic laxative I want a clear path and mind to the bathroom. To each there own I suppose.

Next time it is suggested that I have a colon check I'll be requesting the stool blood test. I'll pass on the scoping if possible. The last colonoscopy I had was ruff on me. It took to long to recover.

Pinch your nose closed while drinking. You will not taste a thing and can rinse mouth after you chug-a-lug to void any residual. p.s.-did you like my use of the VOID word :duck:

What helped me was having some broth between chugging the prep. It helped cut through the sweetness and settled my stomach.

Good luck.

Pinch ur nose and drink.. then wait for take off...

I just enjoy the rest i get after the procedure... that concious sedation is some wild stuff..

I would ask the Dr if you could use the miralax prep instead. My husband had colon cancer so lots of experience for him with the prep and I had my first scope earlier this year. I used the miralax prep and it was really easy for me, and I was really nervous ahead of time. Good luck, I hope it all goes well.

Make sure it is super cold. I used a straw so I would avoid as much of the salty taste as I could.

Also, drink plenty of water too, that stuff dehydrates like crazy.

I had mine super cold, never again. I was shivering half way through the gallon. Other than that, no big deal. Start to finish, first sip to done about 90 minutes.

I would ask the Dr if you could use the miralax prep instead. My husband had colon cancer so lots of experience for him with the prep and I had my first scope earlier this year. I used the miralax prep and it was really easy for me, and I was really nervous ahead of time. Good luck, I hope it all goes well.
I'm doing Miralax this time. I become so nauseated with the normal stuff that I vomit up a fair amount of it. But then, I barf easily. Last time, I used ginger ale with it instead of water. As a result, I have not been able to drink ginger ale for six years. The smell makes me want to hurl.

I also had the Miralax + pills prep. The hardest part of that was the quantity I had to drink. A couple of short breaks go me through, though.

This might be TMI to some however, I would advise getting some wet wipes for if/when things get sore. Do make sure that the ones you get are flushable, most baby wipes aren't and will clog up the plumbing. If hemorrhoids are an issue, have topical meds standing by for that, as well.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I didn't think any of it was all that bad. I'll agree it sure did seem like a lot of fluid to consume, otherwise no biggie. Good luck!

I thought the new protocol wasn't a full gallon of liquid.

I need to get one. Maybe during Spring Break.

I just had a colonoscopy last Friday. Thursday was my prep day. I slept as late as I could, 9. Had a cup of black coffee, yuck, I need milk. Wanted to wait till 12 and I was going to eat some home-made chicken broth, but by 11 I was famished and drank my broth. By 12 I was hungry again and had more broth and ate some jello, I could have any color but red or blue. I just really felt like crap from not eating, by 2 I opened some ginger ale and drank two glasses, I felt so much better after drinking some pop. I'm not usually a pop drinker but next time I'm drinking pop right from the get go.

At 4 pm I had to start drinking my prep. I added lemonade crystal lite to it and that helped greatly! I had to drink 1/2 of the gallon by 6 pm. They recommended one 8 oz glass every 10 to 15 minutes. After I drank 1/2 by 6, I was to take a break till 9 pm and start again and finish in 2 hours. I ended up starting again by 8 so I was done by 10 so I could get to bed by 11. It was fine. I slept no issues, I got up a couple times though.

The next day the colonoscopy was eazy peazy! I felt fine afterwards, thought I might be out of it but nope I felt normal, went to a Nickles Outlet Bakery right next door to the center. They did take out two polyps so I have to do it again in 5 years instead of 10 :-(.

Good Luck to you! I really found the worst part was not being able to eat, I just felt horrible without nourishment.

I have done the prep a number of times and it is best to get a mid morning appointment, because you will have not eaten the entire previous day and will be forced to do the prep during the early morning hours if you go in later in the day. I am going to ask a question though the next time, and this may be TMI, but a few month ago I had a situation that had made me pretty plugged up. (if you get my drift) I was in the hospital for a different procedure, but, once that was done they came in with an 8 ounce bottle of something. I got a glass and some ice and easily drank it down. Now bear in mind I hadn't had any movement at all for over 4 days. Anyway, I drank it and within an hour things started to happen, and happen and happen... absolutely equal to anything I had done for my previous Colonoscopies. I swear I passed stuff that I ate when I was in grammar school. I don't think I could be anymore cleaned out. It was simple, it didn't taste awful and it worked incredibly well. So before I drink the gallons of stuff the next time, I am surely going to ask for an explanation as to why that alternate system would not work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter