The Death of Free Dining?

crostorfer

Gryffindor Gal
WDW released their fall discount offer this morning and it is NOT free dining, for the first time in several years. They have been threatening for years to take it away, do you think they actually did it this time? If so, do you think we'll see a drop in fall attendance when it has been steadily growing during the fall?

Do you mean the Aug/Sept offer is not for FD?

I've thought for some time they were going to pull back FD for other times of year, but never thought they could give up the hurricane season offer.

If that's the case, I'll be curious to see how that goes over.

I really hope not. I'll be there for Halloween and we are really hoping for FD. FD is a better perk than some free Memory Maker should be free anyways, because it sure as heck isn't worth the $149. (Wish they'd bring back Photopass+)

I'm curious as to what it is, too - I don't see anything for Fall on their website yet. :confused3

WDW released their fall discount offer this morning and it is NOT free dining, for the first time in several years. They have been threatening for years to take it away, do you think they actually did it this time? If so, do you think we'll see a drop in fall attendance when it has been steadily growing during the fall?

Historically, fall FD hasn't been announced until late March-early April, IIRC.

I'll be surprised if they do away with it entirely. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trimming a little off the beginning and end dates, but they still need something to pump up September.

Historically, fall FD hasn't been announced until late March-early April, IIRC. I'll be surprised if they do away with it entirely. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trimming a little off the beginning and end dates, but they still need something to pump up September.

Apparently this year if you travel in September you get a free Memory Maker. Somehow, I don't think free pictures have the effect as free food.

I'm also not seeing any fall offers. I'd be surprised if one has surfaced as it's incredibly early compared to the usual August release date.

I'm also not seeing any fall offers. I'd be surprised if one has surfaced as it's incredibly early compared to the usual August release date.

It was released to travel agents this morning, so general public may not see it for a few days.

Apparently this year if you travel in September you get a free Memory Maker. Somehow, I don't think free pictures have the effect as free food.

That won't fill resort rooms, especially in hurricane/back to school season. There will be something else.

Is this it? ...

Get free Memory Maker when you purchase this room and theme park ticket package!
For just $899, purchase a 3-night, 2-day package for a family of 3 (2 adults, one child ages 3 to 9) that includes 2-day Magic Your Way theme park tickets and 3 nights in a standard room at a select Disney’s All-Star Resort—valid for stays most nights August 15 through September 30, 2014. Plus, you’ll receive free Memory Maker—a photo package that makes it easy for you to capture magical family moments and first-time experiences at Walt Disney World Resort.

Take advantage of this offer and enjoy a getaway that’s just the right size for your family!
Sample Rates
View sample rates for stays most nights during the travel dates that are eligible for this offer:

April 27 through May 29, 2014: $949
May 30 through June 15, 2014: $1,019
August 15 through September 30, 2014: $899
Sample package prices are based on 3 nights in a standard room at a Disney All-Star Resort and
2-day theme park tickets for a family of 3 (2 adults, one child ages 3 to 9).

Rates may vary based on Disney Resort hotel, room type and party size. View complete list of Disney Resort hotels included in this offer.

The number of rooms allocated for this offer is limited. Tickets are valid for one theme park per day and must be used within 14 days of first use. See Important Details.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't view that as the "big offer" they usually make for Fall since you have to book by April 20th and it runs April through September. I could be totally wrong, of course, but it just didn't even make a blip on my radar as having replaced a Free Dining offer. :confused3

Considering I'm not interested in the DDP this fall trip, I'm kind of excited about a possible free MM+, especially since I'm going alone with DD!! I'd take advantage of that!!! I'm curious to hear the details!!! :thumbsup2pixiedust:

But I agree that I don't think FD will go away for Sept.... if it does, there will be an alternative offer on top of MM.

oh, thanks for posting the details! Won't work for us..... bummer.

That won't fill resort rooms, especially in hurricane/back to school season. There will be something else.

Unless they are banking on the 7DMT to fill rooms for them without having to roll out an offer. That, combined with increased traffic in Orlando from Diagon Alley.

If they take away free dining, perhaps the restaurants will be forced to up their game...

My take on this is that they are trying to see how many rooms they can fill with this offer before releasing their normal offers. There is no way that there will not be free dining (or something close to it) in Sept. I think they will expect people to switch to a better offer and since MM is nonrefundable, people will have to pay for it before they can switch deals.

i really believe it's going away......they haven't offered it in August for the last two year, meaning late August, well in 2012 they did but had trimmed it....i was there in August and in my buyback package it was very small print that free dining was offered, but the room discount was really pushed instead. I find Disney cutting back and back what they are offering.

I bet they will see how many people this brings in and go from there. Won't bring me in!

Won't bring us in either. At this point, we are 80% sure we are giving our vacation dollars to Universal for a few days and then heading to the Keys for a week this year.

The discount being offered is more than just free Memory Maker. It's a room discount plus free Memory Maker.

With this offer, get a room discount of up to 25% off the rack rate at select Disney resorts, plus a FREE Memory Maker Photo Package* when you purchase a Magic Your Way package for at least 3 nights, including at least a 2-day Base Ticket. Valid for stays 4/27/14 – 6/15/14 and 8/15/14 – 9/30/14.

Value Resorts: get up to 10% off
Moderate Resorts: get up to 15% off
Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: get up to 25% off

I'm already booked for a 9 day/8 night trip in September staying at Wilderness Lodge. This cut the price down by almost $800. Free Dining would save me more but this isn't bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter