The Dark Side and more, dodging hurricanes and raccoons, surprises...An Aug 25-Sep 2 TR

beebeeryan

DIS Veteran
Here we go! Eight days in Florida and we didn't walk into a Disney park. A very different trip than normal for us, but it was great!

Who are we?

IMG00102_zpsvnpnbzvy.jpg

Me: Barbara, Disney addict now add Universal to that. I am a substitute teaching assistant in our local district. Recent breast cancer survivor and chauffeur to my children's busy sports schedule. I'm a hockey and swim mom which is pretty much a full time job.

DH: Mike, a CPA, also loves Disney and Universal.

DS 13: Matthew is a 13 year old boy with the attitude of a 16 year old girl. He knows everything, we are very embarrassing to him and he loves cars. And hockey. Oh and he recently shot up(grew almost 5 inches in one year!) passed me already!

DS 10: Eric is the baby, although he is probably more mature than his older brother. Eric is a competitive swimmer with Olympic dreams. He loves Disney as much as me and had a hard time with the fact we were staying at Beach Club, but not going into the parks. Oh and roller coasters, loves those too.

When

We flew out from Upstate NY on Thursday August 25 and came home Friday September 2. Well technically we ended up landing after midnight, so Sep 3. Thanks to Hurricane Hermine.

Where

IMG_7441_zpsacrh96gs.jpg

We spent 4 nights at Portofino Bay Hotel onsite at Universal and then 4 nights at Beach Club Villas, but didn't do Disney. Reason will be revealed eventually.

We visited the Universal parks, Seaworld, Discovery Cove, did an air boat swamp tour, Disney Springs, and maybe more...

Last edited:
Lovely pictures to start with!

Sounds like a fabulous trip.........congratulations on your good health!! And looking forward to reading your report........you look a lovely family :)

Day 1 Thursday August 25 - Terror in the Sky

This trip even started a bit differently than usual. We have always taken the first flight out in the early am and been in the parks by noon'ish. Our original plan was to go Friday to Friday, but Southwest has been playing with their schedules and there were no good flight times available in the morning and they reduced their direct options as well which would prove to be a problem getting home. So I found a better deal on Jet Blue which just recently started flying out of our small airport, but the best option was their direct flight on Thursday afternoon. So I added a night to Portofino Bay and we flew out Thursday afternoon at 3:30pm. I left home with the kids and went to DH's office, which is right down the street from the airport. A co-worker of this came with us and took our car back to his office, she then brought the car back to the airport for us on Friday morning so it would be there when we got home and we only had to pay one day of parking. The airport was dead, we breezed right through security without even stopping for one person, had lunch at the only restaurant other than McDonald's the airport has. It was actually pretty good. Then waited. Loved having seats assigned and enjoyed the Jet Blue experience with the tv at every seat. I brought headphones and thank GOD! There was a 2 year old in back of us, getting passed around, but wow...I mean I have kids, I get it, they are hard to control at 2 years old. But at least make an effort, the parents did nothing, let him slam the tray table up and down and the mother said one thing the entire flight before we even took off...he shouldn't be doing that. She didn't say it to him or try and stop him, just said it to the father, who then told the kid he shouldn't be doing that and continued to check his phone. I kept turning around as did my seatmate, we did have an empty middle seat between us which never happens so that was nice, but this kid! The grandfather sitting across from them behind where my boys and DH were sitting was the only person who actually tried to reign the kid in and control him. At the end of the flight while waiting to get off, the mother finally spoke and was telling the father who people in back were complaining about the loud kid and how maybe they shouldn't use public transportation if they don't like kids. No lady, maybe you should at least try and control your kid. I don't generally complain about babies crying and stuff on planes, their ears hurt, I understand they don't want to sit, I don't want to either and you can't reason with a 2 year old, but parents have always at least tried and been apologetic about it. These people didn't do a thing and didn't care and that was worse than the child's behavior. Thank goodness the grandfather was there or it would have been even worse than it was.

Never have I been happier to get off a plane, not even after much longer flights to Europe. We hopped the fake monorail to Terminal A and baggage claim. Then headed to find Hertz. Had to wait about 10 minutes in line and then got our car. Another first, we have always had Happy Limo transfer us around, we've never rented a car in Florida. It was painless and less expensive than multiple transfers via private car, so worked out well. We brought our own GPS from home, I wasn't paying $20 a day for the car one. Once we maneuvered getting out of the parking garage, we were on our way and I want to say it was less than 20 minutes to Portofino Bay. DH went to self park after dropping us in the lobby and I went to check in. Aundrea was lovely at the front desk and by the time I was done, DH was sauntering in from parking. It was a little after 7pm by now and we were hungry so we went for a quick peak into the Club Lounge then on to our room, dropped bags and headed down to the pool restaurant, Splendido for a bite. Then back up to the room to change and go in the pool. Movie was playing, it was a nice night, ahhh...we have arrived. Pictures are not from that night, it was already dark and I didn't bring my camera down to the pool.

IMG_7952%202_zpsiqgzwdti.jpg

100_0912_zps5kozhxo0.jpg

Splendido
100_0901_zps4rhq12nw.jpg

Our spot under the bridge, my favorite place!​

Will be reading along. Great start to your trip report.

You were staying at my favorite resort at Universal.

Great pictures.

Look forward to reading more.

I'm following! Looking forward to reading and seeing your pictures!

Lovely pictures to start with!

Sounds like a fabulous trip.........congratulations on your good health!! And looking forward to reading your report........you look a lovely family :)

:welcome: and thank you!

Love the pics, I can't wait to read all the details of your adventures.

:welcome:

Will be reading along. Great start to your trip report.

You were staying at my favorite resort at Universal.

Great pictures.

Look forward to reading more.

:welcome: It's my favorite too, of course it's the only one I've ever stayed at. :)

I'm following! Looking forward to reading and seeing your pictures!

Friday, August 26 TSA Thievery and a visit to Skull Island

We were up bright and early and hit Club lounge for breakfast right when they opened at 7am. We were greeted by a concierge outside the lounge checking off names of families going in. It was quiet, just a few people.

IMG_7262_zpstaegemx1.jpg

IMG_7267_zpskl4l2lve.jpg

After a quick breakfast, we grabbed some water and were off to the boat. I had to pick up our tickets at the park.

Oh, so I had brought our lanyards from last year and a waterproof case for the pool and I spent an hour looking for them in the luggage the night before after we got back to the room and settled in. They were gone. All our bags had been inspected by TSA and they must have pulled them out and not put them back in. So I bought 4 more lanyards before we headed out. I was not happy. :(

IMG_7277_zps985tpxtx.jpg

Made it through security at the boat dock and walked right on just before the boat left. Perfect timing. Arrived at IOA for early entry, picked up tickets and made our way to Hogsmeade. Passing through Seuss Landing we spotted the Schenectady sign, we live very close to Schenectady, it's where Matthew plays hockey.

IMG_7278_zpsakml1gpv.jpg

We headed straight for Forbidden Journey, my favorite ride at Universal! Love it! And they let me on with my waist pack, no problem. Next the boys went on Dragon Challenge, both of them. I waited and took some photos.
IMG_7282_zpss14s0m6h.jpg

IMG_7290_zpsmouhgjrc.jpg

IMG_7287_zpssldfkail.jpg

By now it was 9am so we headed over the bridge through Jurassic Park to Kong which already had a 45 minute wait, but Express Pass had just opened a few days earlier, so we went for it. Was about a 10 minute wait. We liked it, but could see how waiting a long time might not be as worth it.

IMG_7293_zpsiykjbpla.jpg

IMG_7297_zpsriblectk.jpg

IMG_7299_zpspsf8abpg.jpg

After Kong, we continued on to Hulk, this was the other ride he was just barely too short for last summer, this and Dragon Challenge, so he was very excited to try it. I don't do upside down outside, I can do RocknRoller Coaster at Disney because I can't see it, but if I can see it, forget it.
IMG_7300_zpsc7kkrkbp.jpg

IMG_7309_zpse3jxuycg.jpg

IMG_7326_zpsgphpppl3.jpg

They are 2nd row from top
Next, my minions insisted it was hot and water ride time so over to soak central we went and rode the barges and Ripsaw Falls.

IMG_7626_zpsgcf0n6ui.jpg

We got soaked to the bone. Ugh, I hate walking around like that it's so uncomfortable. We continued back to Jurassic Park and rode that then stopped into Burger Digs for lunch. We ate inside this time after a scary encounter with a crazy squirrel last year. Still soaked.

IMG_8320_zpsjoblsrjr.jpg

To be continued...

Here!

Love your family photo from Discovery Cove and the intros.

I, too, am a Disney and Universal addict. As you know, Beach Club is my home and I totally understand planning a resort only stay. Heck, I have done that 3 times for short trips, not intending to go to the parks, but I ended up finding a way with a little help from my friends.

Going back to read.

:goodvibes

Arrival-

I love flying out of a quiet, local airport with the lack of crowds and ease of parking.

So sorry to hear about the unruly kid. Like you said, parents who didn't care made it worse. I have had a couple of incidences with kids not being taken care of during a flight- the last one was a kid slamming a tray table down for a lot of the flight. As we were getting off the plane, the mom turned around. And said hi to me. Someone I knew from my town.

We stayed club level at Portofino in 2011. Really beautiful hotel and the pool is great.

Morning 1-

Great start. Love your pictures. I'm glad that Kong has express pass. My DH and I rode the original Kong ride on our first visit to US in the 90's. We had a 2 hour wait for a 2 minute ride. UGH!

So cool capturing a picture of your family on Hulk.

Looking forward to more!

::yes::

Last edited:
Here!

Love your family photo from Discovery Cove and the intros.

I, too, am a Disney and Universal addict. As you know, Beach Club is my home and I totally understand planning a resort only stay. Heck, I have done that 3 times for short trips, not intending to go to the parks, but I ended up finding a way with a little help from my friends.

Going back to read.

:goodvibes

Arrival-

I love flying out of a quiet, local airport with the lack of crowds and ease of parking.

So sorry to hear about the unruly kid. Like you said, parents who didn't care made it worse. I have had a couple of incidences with kids not being taken care of during a flight- the last one was a kid slamming a tray table down for a lot of the flight. As we were getting off the plane, the mom turned around. And said hi to me. Someone I knew from my town.

We stayed club level at Portofino in 2011. Really beautiful hotel and the pool is great.

Morning 1-

Great start. Love your pictures. I'm glad that Kong has express pass. My DH and I rode the original Kong ride on our first visit to US in the 90's. We had a 2 hour wait for a 2 minute ride. UGH!

So cool capturing a picture of your family on Hulk.

Looking forward to more!

::yes::

Yay! Beach Club Dee is here! I made sure to post my Beach Club Villas pictures over there. :)

Ugh even better, someone you know who didn't control their kid! I love the pool at Portofino, honestly, it's right up there with Stormalong Bay for me. I spent way more time in that pool than Stormalong Bay this trip, just because of the weather.

Friday August 26...continued
Don't feed the wildlife, racoons attack!

So when we left off we had stopped for lunch at Burger Digs. Ehh, it wasn't very good. I remember it being better last year. Typical counter service blah burgers. The boys were drying off a bit by the time we left here, but I was still soaked. Honestly, my shorts didn't dry till the next day. It was ridiculous. We headed back to Hogsmeade and took the train to Diagon Alley. A very uncomfortable ride since I was still very wet. At the Studios, we had a few rides we missed last year and a few favorites so we thought we'd do those then head back to the hotel for swim break. It's hotter here than at IOA I feel, less shade, I started drying a bit finally. We did Minions and Shrek and DH and Eric did Rip Ride Rockit then we headed over to Springfield for The Simpson's. We missed this one last year...oops! It was great, we loved it. At this point Matthew, who is obsessed with donuts, had to get a lard lad big pink donut. We were heading out so that worked out. It was about 2:30pm, according to my picture time stamp.

IMG_7371_zpsijpfefoi.jpg

IMG_7501_zpsyycsh9ox.jpg

IMG_7394_zpsijowwact.jpg

IMG_7383_zps9e1jwr3j.jpg

IMG_7395_zpsyywam5tj.jpg

IMG_7408_zpsakakyohe.jpg

IMG_7409_zpsdpnttyqg.jpg

IMG_7429_zps395svipa.jpg

We returned to the hotel and stopped by the club lounge for their yummy lemonade and soda to bring back to the room. Grabbed some snacks as well, they had terra chips, milano cookies, doritos. We changed and spent the rest of the afternoon at the pool. I discovered the Riviera drink at the bar, yummy!We did the souvenir cup for our first drink the night before and then refills are $10 for the rest of your stay. I brought the original receipt with me instead of the cups, but by the 2nd day they remembered us and said we didn't need it.

We didn't want to tear ourselves away, but we eventually did and went to Citywalk for dinner at Margaritavilla. I didn't make any reservations at all for this trip, other than 1 at Disney's Boardwalk. There was no wait. We've eaten at Margaritaville before, but not here. Food was good. Fun place, watching the stilt walkers is entertaining. Matthew was thoroughly embarrassed when DH and I sang and clapped along to Margaritavilla when they sang it.

We stopped by the club lounge before leaving for Citywalk and I grabbed a glass of wine to go and DH a beer, just had them pour it into a plastic cup instead.

IMG_7444_zpscwkzz9l6.jpg

IMG_7448_zpsqu27xezn.jpg

IMG_7447_zpsdnlsc0wj.jpg

IMG_7451_zps5ewr8ud1.jpg

IMG_7456_zpszrp63dux.jpg

IMG_8327_zpsetapjcah.jpg

Margaritaville - Crab cake sandwich with sweet potato fries, it was good!
IMG_8326_zpsxiantzy6.jpg

Mango Margarita

IMG_7458_zpsbpdhqia8.jpg

Looks what is open!!! It was packed though, we didn't go. :(

IMG_7460_zpsmuenyoj0.jpg

We walked back to Portofino via the path, decided not to go into the Studios, it was 8pm and it was closing soon anyways and they didn't want to stay for the show, back to the pool we went. As we walked along, just before getting to the Hard Rock Hotel boat/security dock, I saw something out of the corner of my eye by a bush. It looked large. I asked DH if he saw that, and he did. We kept walking, kids were ahead of us. A few minutes later we see the thing run across a clearing to another set of bushes...we determine it is a racoon. It's a little ahead of where we are the whole time, like it's waiting for us to get there. We keep walking and suddenly this giant racoon comes out right behind us and he's chasing us, we picked up the pace, as best we could, my feet were not cooperating. He was now on the path coming after us! DH took a step towards it, threateningly and it stopped and ran back into the bushes. Are you kidding me??!! Within a minute or so we were at the boat dock for Hard Rock and told the security guys there was a crazy racoon just over there. They didn't seem to care. We booked it the rest of the way to Portofino.

IMG_7465_zpsb3whyjsm.jpg

We stopped by the club lounge for dessert, some cookies, a key lime pie bite which we brought with us to the room.

IMG_7473_zpsj19wmc7u.jpg

Changed and went to the pool. I think Night at the Museum was playing by the pool and we rested our feet in the water. Pool is open till 11pm here, which is nice although we didn't stay that late. And day one in the parks is ended.

Love your pictures, they are so nice!

Our son used to get embarrassed too when we sang along to Jimmy Buffet......lol......fun! Glad you enjoyed it in there.......we've never been fans of Burger Digs.........

Scary with the raccoon though! I never think we could come across something like that walking to the parks.......I will now though.......lol.......

Enjoying your report.........

Saturday, August 27
La Dolce Vita...

This morning we decided to sleep in a bit and not hit EE. We had a slightly later breakfast in the club lounge and then hopped on the boat to Citywalk. We headed to the Studios and after some nuisance at the entry...I needed to show ID for some reason, we were in Diagon Alley by 9:04am and went straight to Gringotts. Took only about 10 minutes before we were descending into the Gringott's vault. After I figured out the locker situation, I'd never had to use one yet, but they insisted my tiny bag had to go in. We headed out to ride the Mummy, then transformers. We wandered a bit, and ended up at Men in Black.

IMG_7722_zpsgcq4dxgw.jpg

IMG_7718_zpsmjzbtd6y.jpg

IMG_7491_zpsrenn6ll3.jpg

After we killed some aliens the boys said they were hungry so we headed out to Citywalk and decided to try NBC Sports Grill. It was not terribly busy, but the food was good. I had an interesting burger, Bearnaise, and it was very good, but messy. We took a spin around the Universal Store then headed back on the boat to the hotel for pool time.

IMG_7516_zpsvde333fg.jpg

While the boys went to the pool, I took my camera and went for a walk around the resort to take pictures. Later I met them at the pool for a drink or two. There was a rain pause or two.

IMG_7728_zps5ndv4gjx.jpg

IMG_7730_zpsiwa2qnt4.jpg

the Express Pass kiosks off the lobby

IMG_7935%202_zps052nlgzi.jpg

IMG_7932%202_zps3snp478t.jpg

IMG_7931%202_zpsdbnahu9o.jpg

IMG_7922%202_zpsthyo9mwx.jpg

IMG_7920%202_zps7bblxhwz.jpg

the window up top on the peach wall is ours
IMG_7915%202_zpsxkgycufl.jpg

view of the pool from 5th floor back elevator bay
After my walk I headed down to the pool and enjoyed my riviera cocktail again.

100_0914_zpsberhd3zv.jpg

100_0912_zps5kozhxo0.jpg

Splendido by the pool

Next up, back to Citywalk for dinner...​

Great pictures.

Wow! A scarey raccoon encounter. Glad it backed down when your hubby turned back on it. Afraid that would have to be my approach. Can't run do to joint replacements.

Darn those TSA people. Saw a report on the news last year about how a investigative reporter acted like he forgot his iPad at the screening table. He had some kind of tracking app on it. One of the TSA people stole it and the reporter had a news team follow him as he tracked his iPad to a house the next afternoon. And guess who opened the door. The TSA guy who just got home and was still in his uniform.

I have never walked the path back to Portofino.

Look forward to more ::yes::

Joining in! I love your pictures. Royal Pacific has my heart, but Portofino looks beautiful in your photos.
That is actually TERRIFYING about the raccoon! Animals like that are typically so afraid of humans, I can't imagine why it'd want to chase you?! Looking forward to reading more!

Great pictures.

Wow! A scarey raccoon encounter. Glad it backed down when your hubby turned back on it. Afraid that would have to be my approach. Can't run do to joint replacements.

Darn those TSA people. Saw a report on the news last year about how a investigative reporter acted like he forgot his iPad at the screening table. He had some kind of tracking app on it. One of the TSA people stole it and the reporter had a news team follow him as he tracked his iPad to a house the next afternoon. And guess who opened the door. The TSA guy who just got home and was still in his uniform.

I have never walked the path back to Portofino.

Look forward to more ::yes::

WOW! At first DH kept saying I must have forgot them, why would they take them. There was stuff of more value in the bags, my flat iron, housekeeping envelopes with money, the Garmin GPS for the car. Of all the things to take, but we figured they took them out maybe and they just didn't make it back into the bag. Who knows. It annoyed me though because DH kept insisting they wouldn't take that and I left them at home. They were not at home when we got back.

Joining in! I love your pictures. Royal Pacific has my heart, but Portofino looks beautiful in your photos.
That is actually TERRIFYING about the raccoon! Animals like that are typically so afraid of humans, I can't imagine why it'd want to chase you?! Looking forward to reading more!

Yeah, this racoon was not afraid of anybody. My guess is people feed it. Saw people feeding animals plenty even in front of the signs telling you not to.

Another lovely set of pictures..........nice to see you all having so much fun........and glad to see another recommendation for NBC.........

Saturday, August 27 continued...
Twice is Nice

We enjoyed the pool on this hot day. A note on the weather, it was actually much more bearable than it usually is in August we found. There seemed to always be a little bit of a breeze and plenty of overcast most of he afternoons. We put on sunscreen once or twice and that was it and nobody got burned or anything. Of course, then the outer hurricane bands brought rain, but that's later..

Another note: There were stations set up at the resort and near the parks with mosquito repellent available due to Zika concerns. We were never bitten nor did we notice any mosquitos. I thought I got a picture, but cannot find one.

IMG_7938%202_zpskuobalq5.jpg

IMG_7945%202_zpsmu67ht2s.jpg

the Roman aquaduct slide
Around 4pm we headed back to the Studios. Last year we missed taking Hogwarts back from Diagon Alley to Hogsmeade and going through Platform 93/4 so we wanted to do that. First up though, another ride on Rip Ride Rockit as we went by for DH and Eric. Matthew and I waited for them and it started to pour out of nowhere. They were going up the launch when it started so they rode it in the pouring rain, the car after them was the last one, then they stopped running it. Or, they kept running them empty actually. By the time they came out, the rain had let up a bit so we just started walking. We headed to Kings Cross Station and there was a 30 minute wait, which wasn't too bad. My boys don't like to wait for anything, but Eric wanted to do this and so did I. While we were in there, it actually started pouring again so it worked out well to be inside.

IMG_7724_zpshdwqk391.jpg

IMG_7532_zpsrc2i9z2z.jpg

IMG_7534_zpsrjxyrusd.jpg

We arrived in Hogsmeade and it was still raining pretty hard, not torrential anymore, but still enough not to want to walk around in it. We hung out across from Dragon Challenge for a bit and the rain stopped, but it was taking forever for them to open the ride back up, they were telling people it takes almost 30 minutes to get it running again when they shut down. We decided to head into the park, the boys were hungry so we walked to Hulk, they rode that, it was running by the time we got there and then headed out to Citywalk.

IMG_7537_zps23c7kulk.jpg

So where will we eat tonight, I wanted to try Cowfish but the boys were clamoring to go back to NBC where we had lunch. They saw other things on the menu they wanted. DH wasn't too thrilled with this idea, he didn't think his burger today was anything special, I did really like mine though and saw other things. So, the kids rule the roost it seems, so we went back to NBC. A little busier than at lunch, but still no wait to be seated. We really enjoyed this dinner, DH was happy with his ribs, he said they were amazingly good. I had pulled pork which also was very very good. The kids got a mac n cheese dish, this was a grown up menu item...each tweaking it to take out the stuff they don't like, all the vegetables.Matthew doesn't like bacon, but Eric does. Matthew kept the chicken, Eric didn't. Poor waiter. He got them right though, kudos to him.

IMG_7546_zpsxwyi0tfv.jpg

calamari app was very good
IMG_7550_zpsglahvkvf.jpg

pulled pork
IMG_7549_zpse557c3gz.jpg

grown up mac n cheese, minus the chicken and mushrooms
IMG_7551_zpsxeaaofer.jpg

ribs, half rack
After dinner, we took a walk over to the Universal Store to browse and then I had to go see the recently opened Toothsome Chocolate Emporium and Savory Feast Kitchen. Matthew wanted a milkshake and I wanted to try one too, but the wait time was still ridiculous, 40 minutes. So no go on the expensive milkshakes. I did take a quick spin around the shop, the boys waited outside, it was very crowded in there with lines out the door for restaurant seating and milkshake ordering.

IMG_7552_zps5yqmb9qe.jpg

IMG_7555_zpsngqdboji.jpg

IMG_7557_zps2xhbadl5.jpg

IMG_7558_zps2lqnvhxe.jpg

IMG_7560_zpsp4mgwzn0.jpg

IMG_7561_zpsl9omorf7.jpg

I came out to this...and I was not in there long, less than 5 minutes

IMG_7565_zpsxjduaaew.jpg

IMG_7567_zpsc2udhzxb.jpg

We headed back to the resort via the walking path, keeping an eye out for racoons, luckily no wildlife run ins this time. And back to the pool. Good night!

IMG_7573_zpstepwxd3f.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear you had a second good meal at NBC! I absolutely LOVE Cowfish, but am dying to try NBC on my upcoming trip.

Glad to hear you had a second good meal at NBC! I absolutely LOVE Cowfish, but am dying to try NBC on my upcoming trip.

NBC has a very expansive menu, lots of gourmet burger options as well as large choice of other entrees. We didn't get seated at one, but there are some tables in front that are actually Foosball tables with a glass top and they appeared to be playable. It was cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter