• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Best Rate almost Fiasco!

FanofG00fy

Mouseketeer
This is going to be a little long....

Okay, on the first Saturday the Best Rate became available, I in my "great wisdom" :rotfl2: :rotfl2: decided that there was no way Disney would come out with something like this and not give us a discount. Okay, I had booked rack rate for POR and had paid $650.00 on the room already, so I thought, I'm already at that price, might as well cancel then book online. So, I did. No biggie. Got my refund 3 days after cancelling, had my other ressie, and was ready to go. Well, the next Saturday I noticed that price had come down for POR and that people that had booked the same time I did still had to pay rack rate for that was the "Best Rate" for when we booked! What?!?! What??!!? What?!?!?! Guest Services phone call here I come! I was told not to worry, that the system would change my price and that I would pay the discounted rack rate with no problem. I was satisfied with the answer from Guest Services (I mean Guest Services for goodness sake had said everything was a-ok! so why wouldn't it be :rolleyes: ) Well, I kept an eye on the boards and kept reading the same thing. So, in my great wisdom :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: I called Guest Services around 8:30 at night and the first CM I spoke to made my fears come to life. Yes, I have to pay rack rate, since that was what I had booked at! What?!?!? What?!?!?! What?!?!?!?!? :scared1: I told him what the other CM told me, and he said I'm sorry, but that is what you have done. Sooooo, I asked, to get the best rate, I have to cancell, loose my deposit and rebook to get the new "Best Rate." Answer.......Yes. My response......I'm sorry to say this, but that is so totally unfair. What I was told last week, is null and void?!?!? Answer....Yes. My response.....Honestly, do you think I will do that. Answer....I'm sorry, but that is how it is. Okay, I went off the deep end. I asked to speak to a manager (not on duty that time of night :rolleyes: ). So I did what any other nonrational person would do. Quote: "What do I have to do to get this situation taken care of, someone is lying, do I need to contact the President of the company?!?!" Hey, I was upset, I did apologize later to the next CM. His response was, ma'am, I will do some investigating and call you tomorrow with some update. I then advised I was throughly upset and I was hanging up as to not sound like a swearing salior. Then I hung up. My mother (the patient one) told me to follow my advise to my Father when he called down, and the advise I got from the Dis Boards.....If you don't like the answer you got, call back and speak to someone else. So after going outside, smoking a cigarette, I called back. Spoke to a wonderful CM, I told her my sad story about being told two different stories about the Best Rate program. She than began to do some digging and read to me, that yes the rate were suppose to come down and that there was something wrong in the system and it was not giving us the best rates. She then asked me to bare with her. Waiting a few moments, here is her response in my words....Okay, here is what I can do, I can cancel your first ressie from the Best Rate Program and give you back the refund, they haven't taken that from us, we can refund your money in certain circumstances. Now what I ask is that you rebook online, get a new ressie. Let me due some investigating, and send my managers an email as to what is happening. I will then call you back at night (night shift) and advise you as what is happening. The only problem is that I'm off the next two nights, so it will be Wednesday before I can call you.

Okay, I had to rebook for the new low Best Rate (which is what they did not want to happen) so I had two ressies right now. So, Wed. rolls around...and it's around 7:30p.m. so, I couldn't wait anymore, so I called. Spoke to this wonderful CM, and she said, that the Computer Systems people are working on this problem, yes the system should have lowered my rate and did not. My rebooking made sure I did get the Best Rate, and that she had a major green light to give me my money back on the first ressie! :cheer2: Now, the only problem was that the system was down, and she could not do it that night. I'm am being patient and will check tomorrow to make sure that I did get it cancelled and get my refund.

So, for advise. If you were one of the first ones to book and it was showing rack rate, you are paying rack rate, call immediately and get it fixed!!!! If you don't like your answer, call back!!!

I'll keep you up to date with what is going on! Now, all I need is for my refund to be there soon!

Pixie dust to everyone! :wizard:

Chris

From what I understand, even if you book under the best rate program, you don't necessarily get the AP rate unless there is availability during that time. If not, it books you at rack rate (like it did for you) and actually even says it across the top of the screen. If you book @ rack, you are not bound to 'best rate agreements' such as non-refundable deposit. So, actually it's not a problem to get a deposit back on those type of reservations. You only lose the 1 night deposit when you cancel a true best rate reservation.

What are your trip dates??? What a nightmare.

I for one, have not been able to trust in this system either. When i first went to book it was showing RRates....I didn't bite as I already had a AAA rate secured for my stay. :goodvibes

Finally some kinks were worked out and a "deal" showed for my dates that was lower than AAA. I booked it under the best rates program, cancelled my orig ressie and rec'd a refund on that deposit. :cool1: (so far so good)

But now...I find myself checking the passholder site every couple of days, and these boards ALL the time...to see if anyone is getting a better rate at the time I'm traveling. :rolleyes: I just do not "trust" the system to automatically lower me. (nor do i really expect for it to happen...I think they put in their best rate into the system and unless bookings were REALLY off, we aren't going to see better) But hey, I'm hopeful...and apparently mistrustful on this one...so I check check and recheck! :earseek: Anyone else??

I booked through 'best rate' on the first Monday after the best rate release. I booked at rack rate and paid that deposit. ( I did it because I had read what Fanofgoofy had done and figured the same thing, that the rate would be reduced once the rates were lowered).

On Tuesday I called to cancel my other reservation (AAA rate) and spoke to CM Cmeron. Asked him if I could pay extra on my "best rate' so that I could pay it off before my trip. Cameron put me on hold and did some checking. When he came back he said "NOW, you are in the best rate program." uh, what? He said that guest services and the computer people were trying to switch the rates for everyone who had booked over the weekend. Which he said may take up to 24 more hours.

When I check my itnerary my reservation has a reduced rate on it now. and they have refunded the difference in my deposit from one night at rack rate to one night at best rate. (Way to go Cameron!!!)

Cameron also mentioned that we cannot pay off our resort stay on the best rate program, we have to pay at check in. He siad though that this is as of now and it may change as the program is modified.

Have a great long weekend!

:crazy: Okay, update time. I called this morning a little after 10a.m. (I was on a quick break at work) to check and make sure the original ressie got cancelled and my new ressie was okay. Called Guest Services and Yesssssssssssss :banana: :banana: My old ressie was cancelled, my refund is on the way, and my new ressie is sitting there waiting for me to come home and pay it off. Then........................................

What?!?! What?!?!? What?!?!?!?! What do I mean "Then". You guessed it, something bizzare happened. My mother called me a little before 11 and said "Your Room!!!" What about my room?!? "It's Disney, and it's about your room!!!" WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! :earseek: [Please picture, Father on phone with Disney, Mother on phone with me at work, Vice President of my department standing at my desk!!] Okay, my workside of my life took over. Sorry, I cannot talk right now, I will call you back on my break, Love ya, bye. Dealt with my job, called home on break and begged to see what was going on. My father said that CRO had called to tell me to cancel my ressie and to rebook! WHAT?!?!?! I'm at 119 days out, what do you mean. Piece of Advice: Do not interrupt your parent in the middle of a discussion! My Father sighed and then advised me while he was on the phone with the CM, she stated she had found my new ressie and to disregard her message. :crazy:

I came home, got the full story again, and once again called Guest Services, another wonderful CM answered. I told her my whole story. She check once more and yes, everything in order.....old ressie cancelled, refund on the way, new ressie sitting there patiently waiting for me.

Moral of this story for me?!?! Never listen to my "great wisdom!!" Wait til things like this have all the bugs worked out until I jump on it!!!

Pixie Dust To everyone through all this!!! :wizard:

Chris

Whew! You made me a nervous wreck just reading about it :crazy:

Glad to hear things are finally straightened out for you. I'd have gone crazy waiting like you did to get things corrected. Pixie dust to you! :wizard:

I booked the Best Rate at rack rate, too. My confirmation email said it was the Best Rate Program. When the rates went down, mine did not, automatically, that is. It took 3 phone calls (and 3 Advil) to get it straightened out, but we are now at the reduced rate for the YC, 10/28-11/5.

The final CM I spoke to was able to contact someone in Tech Support who made the adjustment. I kept her on the phone until I could verify the change online. I printed all web pages while waiting patiently :rolleyes: to get this cleared up: the Passholder page showing the reduced rate, and then my reservation with the new reduced rate. I intend to bring them with me just in case there is a problem at check-in when it's time to pay the bill. Better to be safe than sorry.

Apparently Disney wanted to roll out this program by a certain date and was a little lax in fully testing the systems changes that were installed. Guess we did their testing for them and uncovered some significant errors.

Hopefully they have made all the system fixes for the next round of Passholders. :goodvibes

Phew....I think I need to have a nap after reading all of this. I booked POFQ for end of Oct. at the "Best Rate" but it showed me a discounted rate at time of booking. Have they gone down again since the initial discounts? I have a rate of $124/night (Water View)

Regs,

CJM

CJM,

It appears you did get the discounted rate (I think it's around $25/night off rack rate :confused3 ) From what I've read, that's the "best rate" you'll be able to get (AP-wise)

I was just checking to make sure that I am getting the best rate.

Thanks RachelTori!

Regs,

CJM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter