The Backside of Water!!!! ...Punch lines on Jungle Cruise

Is calling out "The Backside of Water" appropriate on Jungle Cruise?

• Yes, the Captain is saying it that way for a reason!!!

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, pipe down back there!

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Tiffany_m15

The Importance of Body Language!
I am firmly in the group of people that think the visitors to Haunted Mansion who loudly mimic the speech in the stretching room should have to ride It's a Small World for an entire day as punishment*...

But I've come across something a little different and I'm curious to hear what other people think:

I rode Jungle Cruise with a group of jovial folks that I happened to start chatting with in the queue. Once we boarded the boat, we all laughed politely and mostly stayed quiet until it was time for 'THE BACKSIDE OF WATER!!!!!' punch line. A good portion of the group on the boat echoed the skipper and everyone chuckled. There were, however, some confused looks. Nobody seemed irritated by it, just one or two people were puzzled. Whether their puzzlement was the result of the impromptu audience participation or because that particular joke is really hit-or-miss with people 'getting it', I don't know.

Now I'm totally onboard with audience participation. I love YeeHaa Bob, the Frozen Sing-Along show, and the Hoop-De-Doo. My question is: Given the goofy nature of Jungle Cruise, is it okay to join in at this part of the ride or should you let the captain do their job and just keep quiet?

What do you think and Why?

*Full Disclosure: This wouldn't be a punishment for me! :tongue:

Last edited:
As a former skipper, absolutely nothing is more annoying then someone trying to get ahead of the skipper saying the jokes. That being said, at the backside of water people get very enthusiastic, I am ok with that .

As a former skipper, absolutely nothing is more annoying then someone trying to get ahead of the skipper saying the jokes. That being said, at the backside of water people get very enthusiastic, I am ok with that .
You were a skipper? That is awesome! Yeah, I'm only referencing 'The Backside of Water' joke. The Skippers we've had slow down and say it as if you are supposed to join in but maybe that's just because you have to build that joke up for the silly punch line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter