The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - MAY 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
DisneyFamily123 - We have taken cabs from most of the resorts around the World, but I rarely use cabs for all my transportation - or even half! The bus service is usually quite good, sometimes there's a wait but I have rarely found the bus to be too full when we board at the GF. They usually only share with one other resort, often the Poly.

The worst wait times for us has been to DTD and DHS (which would include BB and TL, one on each route). Even that is usually no more than 40 minutes, usually more like 10-20. Last visit, we had one trip to DTD where we waited about 20 minutes, saw a DTD bus swing through and keep on going! (we were the only 2 people waiting) The CM standing at the bus stop called for another bus, which arrived within minutes. That's the only bad experience we had with the buses last year, and we were there a week.

I can't give you exact prices for each destination, but I think there is a cab fare estimator for Orlando. Sorry, you'll have to google it, or someone else will need to post the link, I don't remember what it is! I think $17-$25 was the spread, with tip. We mostly use cabs for getting to other resorts for dinner reservations, not the parks. Cabs are usually faster than the buses, btw, but both are dependent on the traffic.

ETA - BlueSkies, the elevators in the main buiding have been running slower in general on our last few trips! Sometimes the gold elevators seemed like they were only operating one at a time, so maybe that was part of it, but the birdcage was slower, too.

I wish the buses had some sort of schedule. We lucked out, and never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus to DHS, DTD or AK, but I know others aren't so lucky! We were actually headed to AK our first day in Orlando, but after 10 minutes, gave up and got on the monorail to MK. Not a big deal, but it definitely shifted things.

Knowing when the bus was supposed to come would have helped us plan better!

k&a&c I am sure that if only one elevator was running at a time that would result in long wait times...fortunately when I was just there both were definately running...so no long wait times...

Oh that birdcage elevator...very pretty to look at..but I dont want to see where I am going on an elevator!!! :eek:

roomthreeseventeen I agree a bus schedule would be great..I dont think that will ever happen though...I will to say that we are generally very happy with the bus service...and with all the disney forms of transportation..part of the whole experience IMO...

bethclayton I do remember seeing CDs in Sandy Cove when I was there...not sure if it was the pianist or the GF society Orchestra...I cant remember!!???

I'm pretty sure that it's possible to purchase a CD of the GF lobby piano music at Sandy Cove . . . does anyone know if there is also a CD of the band that plays in the evenings? :confused3

Having a cruddy day and just wishing that I was sitting in the lobby listening to all that music that is so quintessentially GF . . . pixiedust:

I picked up a CD of the GF band in the Christmas store at DTD a year or two. Of course, it is of Christmas music but that's fine with me.

It seems to me that I have seen music from the band in Sandy Cove as well over the years. I suppose it depends on what is in stock.:confused3

I hope your day gets better. :grouphug:

I picked up a CD of the GF band in the Christmas store at DTD a year or two. Of course, it is of Christmas music but that's fine with me.

It seems to me that I have seen music from the band in Sandy Cove as well over the years. I suppose it depends on what is in stock.:confused3

I hope your day gets better. :grouphug:

Thanks so much, BCV23! I've been looping thru all of my ipod's Disney music and it's starting to do the trick! Thanks again! :goodvibes

Thanks so much, BCV23! I've been looping thru all of my ipod's Disney music and it's starting to do the trick! Thanks again! :goodvibes

Glad to hear that! Happy Disney dreaming.:cloud9:

I'm pretty sure that it's possible to purchase a CD of the GF lobby piano music at Sandy Cove . . . does anyone know if there is also a CD of the band that plays in the evenings? :confused3

Having a cruddy day and just wishing that I was sitting in the lobby listening to all that music that is so quintessentially GF . . . pixiedust:

You can purchase Glen Kelly's CD and the GF orchestra CD in the Sandy Cove Gift Shop. Christian Frederick also plays, and his CD is available on his website www.ChristianFrederick.com. In the meantime you can goto You Tube and search Glen, Christian or GF Piano and enjoy the music and sights!

Hello all....just wanted to say thank you everyone for keeping this post going! I have been reading for over a year, and have not posted that often, but think I may. In 2009 my family spent a week in May and December at GF Sugar Loaf and had an awesome time, now we are on the countdown until our return this May!

Anyway, take care and talk to you soon!

Hello all....just wanted to say thank you everyone for keeping this post going! I have been reading for over a year, and have not posted that often, but think I may. In 2009 my family spent a week in May and December at GF Sugar Loaf and had an awesome time, now we are on the countdown until our return this May!

Hi Cory, glad you decided to jump right in. :grouphug: We'll be back at the GF in May, too. And December is such a perfect time to be at the GF.

Don't you love Sugar Loaf?

Hi Cory, glad you decided to jump right in. :grouphug: We'll be back at the GF in May, too. And December is such a perfect time to be at the GF.

Thanks for the welcome! We do love Sugar Loaf, we have throught about upgrading to RPC but SL is so relaxing. The last two visits we have had a view of the harbor, and it is enjoyable to relax on the balcony a few minutes in the afternoon.

The breakfast selections are always satisfying, and the building is convenient to the bus and monorail.

So looking forward to the 50 days flying by!

You can purchase Glen Kelly's CD and the GF orchestra CD in the Sandy Cove Gift Shop. Christian Frederick also plays, and his CD is available on his website www.ChristianFrederick.com. In the meantime you can goto You Tube and search Glen, Christian or GF Piano and enjoy the music and sights!

Thank you so much for the info, CoryDKross! :goodvibes Will definitely check out YouTube! :surfweb:

Definitely post more often, Cory!
How wonderful that you have had two week-long trips in the past year :teeth:
It's nice to hear such good things about SL :wizard:

:rotfl: BCV23 - you just got back from WDW! I've never known anyone who goes so often. Lucky girl princess: Enjoy the GF :angel:
Will you be dining at V&A this trip??

Welcome back, CoryDKross, and congratulations on returning soon to the Grand! I like SL as well, we ended up booking RPC for our next visit, but if SL had been available for our dates we would have had a difficult decision! Both are wonderful, I'm sure you will have a magical visit.:goodvibes

ETA: I see we were posting at the same time, johnsonet! BCV23, that is wonderful that you are returning to the GF in a few weeks, you ARE a lucky girl!;)

Welcome back, CoryDKross, and congratulations on returning soon to the Grand! I like SL as well, we ended up booking RPC for our next visit, but if SL had been available for our dates we would have had a difficult decision! Both are wonderful, I'm sure you will have a magical visit.:goodvibes

ETA: I see we were posting at the same time, johnsonet! BCV23, that is wonderful that you are returning to the GF in a few weeks, you ARE a lucky girl!;)

:banana::banana::banana:

Awesome k&a&c'smom !! I know you'll be so happy to be back at your favorite resort :hug:

I remember your live reports from the GF last summer when people were very worried about the construction around Sugar Loaf and some of the other outer lodges - you helped put people at ease about the mess (or at least tried to! :laughing:)

Awww, thanks johnsonet!:hug: I did try to help people see that the resort wasn't nearly as bad as it sounded, there was construction but the Grand was still...well, Grand!:lovestruc

We are looking forward to our next visit, can't wait!:dance3:

Please tell me about using taxis at the Grand Floridian to get to parks and other resorts. Faster? Cost? Thank you.

Are the taxis faster than Disney's bus transportation? I never waited more than about 10-20 minutes for a Disney bus and we liked that time to finish coffee and talk about our plans for the day. Was I lucky? I've heard of people waiting 40+ minutes and that the buses may be nearly full from the Contemporary by the time the buses pick up at the Polynesian and GF.

For resorts, I know the buses don't go between resorts (usually), so we would have to take the monorail to TTC, then bus to resort or bus to Epcot and walk to resorts in that area, or something like that.

Here's where we might take a taxi to, from the GF. Any idea about time/costs? Better to take the bus?
  • Epcot
  • Hollywood Studios
  • Animal Kingdom
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge (This was $25 to Poly last year)
  • Boardwalk Resort
  • Beach Club
  • Wilderness Lodge
  • Mini-Golf by Entrance to Blizzard Beach
  • Downtown Disney

Here's my GF taxi story for you.

We were going to the Wilderness Lodge for the Hoop-Dee-Doo dinner show
We were pressed for time AND could not take the water ferry (no boats, long story, just accept that we couldn't take a boat).

It becomes a game of monorails and buses to get to the Wilderness Lodge if you don't take the ferry.

So we opted for a taxi. The GF concierge recommended against it; she also over-estimated the time it would take to get there via taxi... she overestimated by a LOT. And here's what I learned from the experience:

1. The taxi was not that expensive - $12 (one way). And it was fast/easy.
We scheduled a return ride after the Hoop-Dee-Doo dinner BUT somehow there ended up being a bus going straight to the GF from Wilderness Lodge (Pioneer Hall). and yes, we called to notify the taxi and formally cancel so that the driver didn't arrive/wait/search for us.

2. The CMs will always estimate with worst-case-scenarios in mind when they tell you how long it will take to get somewhere. Probably because you can/will lose many of your reservations if you're more than 15 minutes late and they don't want to be blamed.

Animal Kingdom and Hollywood studios *may* be worth a taxi for you.
Epcot is NOT. Take the monorail from GF to Transportation Center and then from Transportation Center to Epcot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter