The ALL NEW Disney's Contemporary Resort & Bay Lake Tower FAQ with PICs! (FEB 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget that they're only discontinuing the monorail AFTER EMH. It will still run on non-EMH days as it always has. Personally, this doesn't affect us at all as we never do PM EMH anyway. But I completely understand the point of view of those who rely on it and argue that the monorail is a perk and if taken away after EMH, they would be disinclined to either stay onsite or at a monorail resort. This is yet another example, among many, of WDW cutting a perk to save some money.

As I mentioned to you on another thread, I'm definitely going to go to the BWI this trip and walk around with my family to see how we "feel" there. We'll be checking-in to the WL two weeks from today so I'll start posting some live TRs at that time.
While that's very true about the Monorail being effected on nights when it's Extra Magic Hours, what about on nights when the Magic Kingdom hosts MNSSHP or MVMCP since the Magic Kingdom closes at 7:00 PM to those who don't have tickets for those events. Plus what about in other months like September when the Magic Kingdom closes at 7:00 PM and doesn't have PM Extra Magic Hours.

It's also great you are going to walk around the BWI and just remember even though their lobby isn't that big and etc, all the action takes place outside along the Boardwalk. Although if it's raining or really cold outside then the various acts take place in the lobby. I will look forward to your live trip reports and hopefully you can get a tour of an empty BWI room, because I remember you thinking about doing that.

While that's very true about the Monorail being effected on nights when it's Extra Magic Hours, what about on nights when the Magic Kingdom hosts MNSSHP or MVMCP since the Magic Kingdom closes at 7:00 PM to those who don't have tickets for those events. Plus what about in other months like September when the Magic Kingdom closes at 7:00 PM and doesn't have PM Extra Magic Hours.

It's also great you are going to walk around the BWI and just remember even though their lobby isn't that big and etc, all the action takes place outside along the Boardwalk. Although if it's raining or really cold outside then the various acts take place in the lobby. I will look forward to your live trip reports and hopefully you can get a tour of an empty BWI room, because I remember you thinking about doing that.

Good question about MNSSHP and MVMCP:thumbsup2. Well, if you do stay at the CR/BLT, the great thing is you can walk right back to your room after EMH, MNSSHP and MVMCP;)

Thanks for reminding me about the room, I almost forgot. We did that once at the GF and found it useful, but we still haven't stayed there. I will put a reminder in my trip binder to do that at the BWI, too.

Just back from 4 days at the World. We did in fact get the Tower room on the convention rate and it was great. A few thoughts about the experience:

1. Theming. The issues people have with the theme of the resort are pretty spot on. There's not a very 'Disney' feel but it's a place with great (and most importantly) convenient amenities. No sprawl, no lushly landscaped common areas, but also no issue running down to refill a mug or grab a beer.

2. Location. The biggest perk of this resort. The walkway is nice but a tad longer than I expected when I set out with my 2 year old on Thursday. You'll work up more than a good sweat on a July day. I only used it once but I'd say walking there would still be quicker than the full complement of monorail stops and much quicker than TTC/Ferry option.

3. Transportation. We've never taken the bus before and this trip we did ME and used resort transportation. We sat for 30 minutes to get a bus to DTD...which was packed...with no AC...and no open windows. This was the first thing we did after check in and the mood was sour to start. It never really got any better at other stops. If you've got a toddler and a pregnant wife (both of which I do), I'd STRONGLY recommend renting a car if it's in the budget. The joys of a properly restrained two year-old in air conditioned comfort outweigh the cost of renting a car. I'd never go again without a rental. It works for some people but not us people ;)

4. The intangible stuff. For one, great gift shops, dining options, and overall layout. Watching the fireworks from the 4th floor deck was good but watching from the fire escape on the 10th floor was even better. This doesn't get the same pub that observation deck gets but, for me, it completely eliminates the idea of ever spending extra for theme park view. We did this every night and it was beyond cool. If it had been a little clearer out I would have had an unobstructed view of the shuttle launch...which is a bit of sore subject for me. I REALLY hoped to see it from there.

5. Overall impression. I'd stay here again without hesitation. Our Bay Lake view room on the 10th floor was great. Noise was a non-issue, the view was nice, the room was nice, and the size was more than sufficient. Great experience and I'll be back for sure.

Good question about MNSSHP and MVMCP:thumbsup2. Well, if you do stay at the CR/BLT, the great thing is you can walk right back to your room after EMH, MNSSHP and MVMCP;)

Thanks for reminding me about the room, I almost forgot. We did that once at the GF and found it useful, but we still haven't stayed there. I will put a reminder in my trip binder to do that at the BWI, too.
That's why I said before when the Magic Kingdom is having PM Extra Magic Hours the Contemporary guests aren't effected by this announcement because of the walkway.

I am happy I was able to remind you about asking to see a room at the BWI.

Just back from 4 days at the World. We did in fact get the Tower room on the convention rate and it was great. A few thoughts about the experience:

1. Theming. The issues people have with the theme of the resort are pretty spot on. There's not a very 'Disney' feel but it's a place with great (and most importantly) convenient amenities. No sprawl, no lushly landscaped common areas, but also no issue running down to refill a mug or grab a beer.

2. Location. The biggest perk of this resort. The walkway is nice but a tad longer than I expected when I set out with my 2 year old on Thursday. You'll work up more than a good sweat on a July day. I only used it once but I'd say walking there would still be quicker than the full complement of monorail stops and much quicker than TTC/Ferry option.

3. Transportation. We've never taken the bus before and this trip we did ME and used resort transportation. We sat for 30 minutes to get a bus to DTD...which was packed...with no AC...and no open windows. This was the first thing we did after check in and the mood was sour to start. It never really got any better at other stops. If you've got a toddler and a pregnant wife (both of which I do), I'd STRONGLY recommend renting a car if it's in the budget. The joys of a properly restrained two year-old in air conditioned comfort outweigh the cost of renting a car. I'd never go again without a rental. It works for some people but not us people ;)

4. The intangible stuff. For one, great gift shops, dining options, and overall layout. Watching the fireworks from the 4th floor deck was good but watching from the fire escape on the 10th floor was even better. This doesn't get the same pub that observation deck gets but, for me, it completely eliminates the idea of ever spending extra for theme park view. We did this every night and it was beyond cool. If it had been a little clearer out I would have had an unobstructed view of the shuttle launch...which is a bit of sore subject for me. I REALLY hoped to see it from there.

5. Overall impression. I'd stay here again without hesitation. Our Bay Lake view room on the 10th floor was great. Noise was a non-issue, the view was nice, the room was nice, and the size was more than sufficient. Great experience and I'll be back for sure.
Thanks for posting your review and I congratulations on getting a room in the Tower. I also agree with what you said about the buses to Downtown Disney. It's the only location in WDW where my family and I drive to, plus from the Contemporary when we drive there it only takes us around 15 - 20 minutes compared to waiting for the Disney Transport Bus.

Thank you for your review of the CR. Like you, we prefer to use our car when we can't walk, boat or monorail somewhere like DHS, water parks and AK. It's just so much more convenient and less stressful. Did you book a bounceback? Was there one in the room?

Thank you for your review of the CR. Like you, we prefer to use our car when we can't walk, boat or monorail somewhere like DHS, water parks and AK. It's just so much more convenient and less stressful. Did you book a bounceback? Was there one in the room?

There wasn't but we're out for a couple of years at least. Kid #2 arrives in Sept/Oct and I won't go back until she's 2 to 3 years old. My 2 1/2 year old had such a great time these last 2 trips.

Hello All! My DH, DD (4) and I just booked a sort of last minute trip to CR in September. We are expecting Baby #2 in November and decided to take advantage of one last trip with "just the 3 of us." We usually stay at other resorts (Poly or BWV) but decided that a tower room (we got BL view) would be great on this trip with me in the advanced stages of pregnancy (although I'm having a super easy pregnancy and don't foresee any issues in September).

This is our first stay at CR and I'm very very excited. I'm just wondering about room requests? I've read that rooms near Chef Mickey's can be noisy? Can we ask for a room away from the restaurant?

Any other suggestions on requests we should consider? We're flying in Thursday (9/15) and planning to hit Epcot that afternoon. Friday we plan to lay low at the hotel and maybe swim until my daughter's appointment at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (I know, a HUGE splurge and one that I vowed never to get into...but, you know...life is short, right?) at 2 pm before the evening's MNSSHP (so she'll already be in costume!) Saturday will be DHS and then Sunday morning we'll hit DAK and then hopefully return to Epcot for a few hours in the late afternoon/evening. We fly home on Monday..sigh....:sad1:

I'm totally obsessing about the planning (which, in my opinion, is at least half the fun of going to WDW). My DH doesn't get involved with planning--he just wants to go and have fun.

Any thoughts on our plans? Thanks!! :banana:

Hello All! My DH, DD (4) and I just booked a sort of last minute trip to CR in September. We are expecting Baby #2 in November and decided to take advantage of one last trip with "just the 3 of us." We usually stay at other resorts (Poly or BWV) but decided that a tower room (we got BL view) would be great on this trip with me in the advanced stages of pregnancy (although I'm having a super easy pregnancy and don't foresee any issues in September).

This is our first stay at CR and I'm very very excited. I'm just wondering about room requests? I've read that rooms near Chef Mickey's can be noisy? Can we ask for a room away from the restaurant?

Any other suggestions on requests we should consider? We're flying in Thursday (9/15) and planning to hit Epcot that afternoon. Friday we plan to lay low at the hotel and maybe swim until my daughter's appointment at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (I know, a HUGE splurge and one that I vowed never to get into...but, you know...life is short, right?) at 2 pm before the evening's MNSSHP (so she'll already be in costume!) Saturday will be DHS and then Sunday morning we'll hit DAK and then hopefully return to Epcot for a few hours in the late afternoon/evening. We fly home on Monday..sigh....:sad1:

I'm totally obsessing about the planning (which, in my opinion, is at least half the fun of going to WDW). My DH doesn't get involved with planning--he just wants to go and have fun.

Any thoughts on our plans? Thanks!! :banana:
When it comes to getting a room over Chef Mickey's everyone will have a different opinion about the noise from there, because I personally didn't think it was that bad when my family and I had a room close to it. However when you are reserving a regular Tower - Bay Lake View room it also depends on the floor you get, where as we always stayed Club Level on the 12th floor and already knew that before arriving there. For example this past December I was speaking to a family and they told me they were staying at the Contemporary and got upgraded from the Garden Wing to the Tower, however their room was located on the 5th floor at the very end where Chef Mickey's is. So basically if you got that specifc floor right at the very end I am sure the music would be a lot louder compared to the higher floors. Now you can always request a room to be away from Chef Mickey's and that's something I would do right now if you don't want one. So call the Disney Reservation Center to make this request because when your room is assigned a Cast Member can see this, compared to asking about it when you check-in.

Besides that if you request an odd numbered room then your beds would face the direction of the Wilderness Lodge, Epcot and other things out in the distance. If you got an even numbered room then your beds would face Bay Lake Tower.

Couple of quick questions - we check in to a Garden Wing/Garden View room on Sept. 12 (myself, DH and DS4)

1. What request is more likely to be accomodated - "king room w/day bed" or "close to main tower"?

2. Back when I was researching hotels, I thought I had seen that there was a splash pad area in addition to the main pool for CR. It looks like now there is just a splash pad area for BLT. Is there anything like this for CR guests? I thought it would be a nice diversion for DS4.

thanking in advance for any help you can provide!

Woo hoo! I am one excited chickie and had to pop in here as we have booked a split stay for next July. Our first 5 nights will be out at AKL and the last three are going to be at the Contemporary!! We booked a Tower Club level room with a MK view and I am just over the moon with excitement. I can't wait to read more over the next year and plan an awesome trip!!

Woo hoo! I am one excited chickie and had to pop in here as we have booked a split stay for next July. Our first 5 nights will be out at AKL and the last three are going to be at the Contemporary!! We booked a Tower Club level room with a MK view and I am just over the moon with excitement. I can't wait to read more over the next year and plan an awesome trip!!

You've made the right decision!! Y'all will have a blast...2 totally different deluxe resorts with totally different things to do!

Happy Planning!!
Heather

Couple of quick questions - we check in to a Garden Wing/Garden View room on Sept. 12 (myself, DH and DS4)

1. What request is more likely to be accomodated - "king room w/day bed" or "close to main tower"?

2. Back when I was researching hotels, I thought I had seen that there was a splash pad area in addition to the main pool for CR. It looks like now there is just a splash pad area for BLT. Is there anything like this for CR guests? I thought it would be a nice diversion for DS4.

thanking in advance for any help you can provide!

I can't remember the exact figure for king beds at the CR, I just recall there aren't many. You wouldn't have to request a daybed though as all rooms have them. As far as being close to the Tower, none of the GW rooms are very far from the Tower. The furthest room might be a few minutes walk to the Tower door.

Yes, the CR has its own kids' water feature splash area in between the Sand Bar and the Mickey pool:

ContemporaryNewWaterPlayArea.jpg

Have a great vacation!

Last August I did the same split so I think you'll enjoy it, too. Wow, you're staying on the Tower Club floor! Are you in a suite or a regular room? I'm eager to see what the renovation will look like of those rooms when they're completed in the fall.

I hope you have a fun year of planning!

Very cool and at least you can experience the Tower Club floor and their rooms after it's renovation. I am also wondering did you reserve one of their Suites or Standard Rooms?

I can't believe I didn't think of this right away because it was my Dad who reminded me of this. Next month when the Resort Monorail is not operating during PM Extra Magic Hours at the Magic Kingdom let's say it starts raining very hard, well Contemporary guests are going to get soaked using the walkway back to the Contemporary. So I guess that's another negative if the weather ever gets bad because I highly doubt they will offer a bus from the Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom based on it's close location or boat service since the Polynesian and Grand Floridian already share them.

I posted this as a seperate thread but then I thought someone on here must know:

If you have stayed in both buildings and had an MK view, please tell me how they compare.
Does it look closer from The Contemporary?

I posted this as a seperate thread but then I thought someone on here must know:

If you have stayed in both buildings and had an MK view, please tell me how they compare.
Does it look closer from The Contemporary?
I have stayed a few times at the Contemporary with their Tower - Theme Park View, although I haven't stayed in Bay Lake Tower. However from the pictures I have seen the views look the same and I can't see a difference.

Last August I did the same split so I think you'll enjoy it, too. Wow, you're staying on the Tower Club floor! Are you in a suite or a regular room? I'm eager to see what the renovation will look like of those rooms when they're completed in the fall.

I hope you have a fun year of planning!

You've made the right decision!! Y'all will have a blast...2 totally different deluxe resorts with totally different things to do!

Happy Planning!!
Heather

Very cool and at least you can experience the Tower Club floor and their rooms after it's renovation. I am also wondering did you reserve one of their Suites or Standard Rooms?

Thank you guys!! I am very very excited. Our reservation says (I went and looked it up to see exactly what the wording is) we have a Tower - Magic Kingdom View - Club Level room. It is a standard size room, not a suite, but should have a MK view as that was half the draw for us. (My dh would say the beer in the lounge would be a close second. :rotfl: ) It's funny--the room choice was there on the disney site this weekend, and when I put the deposit down (using a TA) I went back and looked and sure enough, that room choice is now gone. I did a little more reading and only then did I realize how few of those rooms there are!! FWIW, the atrium MK view never even came up as an option for our dates; otherwise I probably would have booked that one since it is a bit cheaper. I promise to take lots of pictures!

I told my dh we're probably blowing it for future trips, going all out with CL and stuff. he said "or maybe we'll learn we don't actually like it!" Fat chance. :laughing:

I am also really excited for our AKL portion of the stay. We almost stayed there this June, but switched mostly because I was nervous about the bus-only transportation. But I cannot wait to have animals outside my room.

This is going to be a long year. :rotfl:

Thank you guys!! I am very very excited. Our reservation says (I went and looked it up to see exactly what the wording is) we have a Tower - Magic Kingdom View - Club Level room. It is a standard size room, not a suite, but should have a MK view as that was half the draw for us. (My dh would say the beer in the lounge would be a close second. :rotfl: ) It's funny--the room choice was there on the disney site this weekend, and when I put the deposit down (using a TA) I went back and looked and sure enough, that room choice is now gone. I did a little more reading and only then did I realize how few of those rooms there are!! FWIW, the atrium MK view never even came up as an option for our dates; otherwise I probably would have booked that one since it is a bit cheaper. I promise to take lots of pictures!

I told my dh we're probably blowing it for future trips, going all out with CL and stuff. he said "or maybe we'll learn we don't actually like it!" Fat chance. :laughing:

I am also really excited for our AKL portion of the stay. We almost stayed there this June, but switched mostly because I was nervous about the bus-only transportation. But I cannot wait to have animals outside my room.

This is going to be a long year. :rotfl:
I guess the Contemporary changed their Standard Room category views for the 14th floor. Before if you reserved that the Standard Room like you did, you would not know until you checked in if you were staying on the Magic Kingdom side or Bay Lake side. The only way to make sure you got the Magic Kingdom View was to reserve one of their Suites with the words Magic Kingdom in the room description. Although since your confirmation says Tower - Magic Kingdom View - Club Level room you don't need to worry about that.

Also the 14th floor only has a total of 4 Standard Rooms, with three on the Magic Kingdom side and one on the Bay Lake side. So it was even more important that you made this reservation one year away, because those rooms sell out fast.

I can't believe I didn't think of this right away because it was my Dad who reminded me of this. Next month when the Resort Monorail is not operating during PM Extra Magic Hours at the Magic Kingdom let's say it starts raining very hard, well Contemporary guests are going to get soaked using the walkway back to the Contemporary. So I guess that's another negative if the weather ever gets bad because I highly doubt they will offer a bus from the Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom based on it's close location or boat service since the Polynesian and Grand Floridian already share them.

Is this a permanent change they are making (no resort monorail during PM extra magic hours)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter