The ABC's of Trip Planning, Pt 1- K is for Keeping Things Kooky- Drinks V-Z; pg. 197 + New Link

Hi....lurker here...Been following from early on just because of your travel dates. As signature says we are planning a 25th anniversary trip in 2016. Just this morning we looked at calendar and we are thinking of flying out of Milwaukee or Chicago Oct8 & flight back on Oct22. We usually (it's been 10yrs now) like to go during F&W. We're hoping to do the Halloween party this time. It seems sooo far away. But it won't be long before plans really might need to be made!! I was going to call soon to see how early I could start booking rooms. We probably will be at the CBR since we went there for honeymoon & have always stay there. I would love to try a split stay at something like the BW or AK but that could be expensive:eek:. Where do you stay? If I don't actually go to a meet I still might see you:wave:

Also just one more thing..watching you go through nursing school has been interesting. My daughter just graduated HS and is heading to college this fall in hopes of being a nurse! As a parent you hope they can handle the pressure and make their dreams come true..

Woah... just catching up, but congrats on your pinning and finishing the year with an A! I'm sure it feels AMAZING! And yow, the day of the pinning sounds like it was a doozy. How's your son doing with his wrist?

So, now that I have had a few days off, I am finding it a little hard to relax and let the stress off. I keep having this nagging feeling that I should be doing something or be somewhere, or that I have a deadline! Meantime, I've canned a ton of strawberry jam, bought all of my deck flowers and am slowly planting them, catching up on grocery shopping, laundry and cleaning. My back feels like that of a 97 year old.

I remember this feeling! And usually I WOULD end up filling it up with something... which always ended up being disappointing because I wasn't ACTUALLY relaxing!

Chapter 28- A is for A Date, A DATE, A VERY Important DATE!!!

First of all, if you are just joining in, Congratulations! Now is a very good time! It's like a brand new beginning and I have big plans for this hidden little gem of a PTR. If you're a Lurker, and have been hiding your sweet little ol' self all these months, now is an even better time to say hello and join in the fun. If you've been with me since the beginning, but have not been around lately to read this nonsense, I apologize! I promise; it should contain more Disney-related drivel- at least for the summer. Then it's back to the old grindstone. If you have managed to stick it out, you have NO idea how valuable you are to me and my sanity in this Journey. Yes, it has been, and will continue to be one big, fat, hairy marathon that is half over. I, no WE, can do it! Thank you for every comment, for every shout of encouragement, for each and every potty humor joke, meme, wise crack and insult, they have saved me from meltdowns more than you'll ever know.

Now before I get to the date I suppose you assumed this update was about, (yes, you were all right, I am going to reveal the all-important trip dates to you shortly; keep your shorts on), I should mention that I actually am going on a date tomorrow night. My beau and I will have been married for 26 years tomorrow. That's rather impressive, if I do say so myself. What manner of water under the bridge. Hmmm.... that doesn't sound exactly right. What a wild ride it's been. 5 kids later, life on 3 continents, 3 long-term homes, more temporary ones than I can count, countless camping trips, pets and tiffs, 1 survival of cancer, 2 major surgeries, a lot of coffee on the veranda, and a lot more years (God willing) to come, we are still in love and commited.

Ok, the mushy part is over.

Now onto what you've really been waiting for... I give you...

THE TRIP DATES. (Well, first a little more back story, because obviously I like to see myself talk.)

Not just any trip. MY Trip. My Graduation Celebration Trip! As you all know, I am putting myself through Nursing School for a ton of good and worthy reasons, but one of them happens to be so I can boost our family income enough to do some traveling. Hubs makes a decent salary, certainly enough to pay the bills and live on, but not enough to have or do the extras like some badly needed furniture or some landscaping. The kids are getting older and even leaving one by one. One is off to Boot Camp on July 27th (yes, I'll share more about that in upcoming posts) who hasn't lived at home since he was 17- he's now 24 (he went to and International School and lived with another family for his last 2 years of High School), one married daughter, and one headed to Oregon State in the Fall... sniff, sniff.

So it's time for Mama to follow her long-time dream of becoming a Nurse. I am adoring School, like a ton, but it's hard. Really, REALLY hard. I'm doing fairly well, and am halfway done. And I will really need a vacation after this. And so will my family who is sacrificing so, SO much for me to do this. Seriously, my family is so tired of Mac and Cheese or cereal for dinner it's pathetic. Poor babies. You'd think that capable hands, arms, brains and other essential body parts necessary for cooking were lacking on everyone but me. Same goes for folding laundry.

Anywho, it's a trip to celebrate a crapton of hard work done! I don't think they still have Celebration Buttons, but I wish they did. I'd wear one. Maybe I'll get t-shirts made, but that's getting ahead of myself.

Drum roll please...

Our family of at least 3, possibly 4, at first will be headed out on October 10, 2016. At some yet-undetermined date, most likely the 17th, Mike will be joining us. He'll do a few of the last park days, then the "kids" will head home, and we'll journey on to the Keys to finish up our vacation Beachy Keen and be home on the 24rd.

You might ask why I picked those dates. I wanted to be extra sure to get BOTH F&W and MNSSHP. Last trip I missed both by going too early in Sept. and that stunk. Worse than the dog when he rolls in dead stuff on the beach stink. Also, and probably more importantly, it gives me time to take my NCLEX-RN (the National Nursing Boards), find a job, and work at least a couple of months so I can pay off any debt from school and pay for this trip. Some, or even most, should already be paid, but not all. Like food. And food is a very good thing. Trust me on this.

So, for those of you who have already said they'd like to meet up with us at some point during our little soire, mark your calendars: October 11-17th! I know of at least 3 of you who've said, sure, I'll make this an even Happier Place on Earth. Of course, Disney did their part and added The Ditch. Although @Flossbolna tells me that they've added another Happy Place at the Poly. It just gets Happier and Happier. Of course the Teacups always makes me happy too; I just wouldn't want to do those in the wrong order. Then no one would be happy.

Let me conclude by inviting anyone who would like to come and make a toast to a brand new Nurse on any of those days!! The invitation stands and I've already been thinking about group hangouts. Yeehaw Bob Conga Lines come to mind.

Oh, and ETA: One last thing... has anyone seen this? Does anyone know more about it than what is here in this article?? I hope this is open by my trip!! It looks very intriguing indeed!

Continued in Next Post...

So exciting!!!

I remember this feeling! And usually I WOULD end up filling it up with something... which always ended up being disappointing because I wasn't ACTUALLY relaxing!

I am living this feeling this weekend. Ugh No work but a TON of yard and housework that neds to be done before relaxing can actually start.

Hi Everyone! (especially Disneymoon, a new lurker-turned-poster!)

Looks like I have some work to do here, but well, you know, Father's Day and all! :) I just spent 2 hours on a terrific looking Mexican meal to take to my FIL's in a bit; replies will have to wait until afternoon tomorrow. I have an interview at 12:30 tomorrow, and want to have news about that before I post. Anyway, to all the Dads on my thread, and other's I follow,

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!! You are valued and needed! Keep doing all that you do to raise those great kids of yours!

Now..... where's that margarita stuff to go with dinner?! ;)

The margarita stuff is over there, by the fridge.
No. Not there. Over there. Yeah. That's it.

Good luck with the interview tomorrow!

That wouldn't have worked... wait! Apricot Sour!
Seriously, I took notes of my own darned vacation, it's not likely that I'll remember anything else... ever.

I feel so much better now that I know I'm not the only one.

I'll pass on the poop. Thanks anyway.

Does that make you a... wait for it....

Party Pooper? :lmao:

Not a good idea.

I didn't say it was a good idea... On 2nd thought, let me be the judge of that.

"Helping". Sure. Let's call it that.

We all have to play our part.

And you can't expect any more so you're done with him. Gotcha.

And he mows the lawn...?

That is rare. My kids are more like... Where's my blouse? I need it and you have to take me and some friend rollerskating. And pick me up at midnight even though you've been up since 5am.

Mine are like that in the morning when they're hangry. Grunts are the common form of "communication".

Apricot Sour!!

Now you're talkin'!

Okay, I'll give you a chance to alter your answer. I was referring to the final part of what I quoted...........that we had to keep our shorts on! :rolleyes1

Oh, well, that is generally socially acceptable behavior. Especially in Disney. But in case there is a mishap, I'll make sure you are equipped with purple as well.

That wasn't an attempt to guess the drink. I just know you well enough that if you're holding a glass up, some TYPE of adult beverage is involved....... :drinking1

Unless it's coffee.

Hi....lurker here...Been following from early on just because of your travel dates. As signature says we are planning a 25th anniversary trip in 2016. Just this morning we looked at calendar and we are thinking of flying out of Milwaukee or Chicago Oct8 & flight back on Oct22. We usually (it's been 10yrs now) like to go during F&W. We're hoping to do the Halloween party this time. It seems sooo far away. But it won't be long before plans really might need to be made!! I was going to call soon to see how early I could start booking rooms. We probably will be at the CBR since we went there for honeymoon & have always stay there. I would love to try a split stay at something like the BW or AK but that could be expensive:eek:. Where do you stay? If I don't actually go to a meet I still might see you:wave:

Also just one more thing..watching you go through nursing school has been interesting. My daughter just graduated HS and is heading to college this fall in hopes of being a nurse! As a parent you hope they can handle the pressure and make their dreams come true..

:welcome::welcome:HI THERE DISNEYMOON!!! :welcome::welcome:
Thank you SO much for posting here and joining in the crowd! :) We do have fun here; hope you come around often!

Your dates actually do coordinate quite nicely, and it would be more than fabulous if you could join the big Meet if it works out. We'd love to have you join us for whatever hangouts get planned. :)

As you've seen, I haven't gotten to do either of those events yet, so we may have to stroll around the World together and snack ourselves silly. :mickeybar

And you are RIGHT; it does seem so terribly far away, but it'll be here before we know it. I know that during school for me, every 2 weeks comes and goes by quickly. Almost too fast- simply because I never seem like I have enough time between exams! I was hoping to make my resort ressies in October if we choose the DVC point rental route. But that all remains to be seen after I see how much work I can put in between now and then.

On my last trip I did a triple split stay: 1) Pop 2 nights, solo; 2) Poly 2 nights, split 3 ways; 3) POR 5 nights, split 3 ways. It worked famously! The luggage being transferred was absolutely no problem. I think the only way I'd ever do a deluxe again paying rack rate is on another ladies' trip. Otherwise it's just too expensive. It MAY work out to get a night or 2 at AK and have the rest at AoA, OR rent DVC points and stay at an EPCOT resort, AK, or just do a mod like CBR or POFQ the whole time. I dunno, there's so many I haven't stayed at and the only one I don't have any desire to at all is CR. Well, or WL, but I live in the PNW, so that is not so unique to me. Anyway, I would easily do a split stay again, with 2 nights at a deluxe and the rest at a value again in a heartbeat. But I'd put the deluxe at the end. You do get a better night's sleep at the deluxe and people tend to be more "tired" at the end when the glow has worn down and you've been burning the candle at both ends for a while. If that makes sense.

Nursing School:

Oh boy, I could write a very long essay; I will try to refrain myself. However, here are a few comments: I don't know about the school she would like to apply to, but for ours we absolutely had to have straight A's to even consider bothering with applying. And even then, you have to get a perfect score on an essay. This year they are going with a Kaplan Entrance Exam which will also require a very high score as over 200 generally apply- only 48 will be getting in.
I hope the school she is thinking about isn't as hard to get into because the demand for nurses is only going up!

Once she is in, she can pretty much kiss any form of social life, aside from the regular study groups and occasional post-exam celebrations, good-bye. Her free time will be completely non-existent, and the hours are long and the material difficult. I'd say if she has great time management and organizational skills, and is willing to sacrifice to that goal, she will do fine. There have been countless times I've had to say no to family things in order to study, write a paper, finish online homework, etc...

As her parent, I'd say that keeping her encouraged with the, "it's-only-a-short-season" spiel will help her. I know I have to constantly remind myself that it won't last forever, and it will really all be worth it in the end. A Disney trip as a reward certainly may help keep her motivated as well... ;)

Never thought I would be so excited to eat what looks like poop, partly because I know it will make a great scrapbook page. I think "I ordered the poo-poo platter" would be a good title for the page.

The things we do for a riveting TR or scrapbook page, no? :rotfl2:The reviews say they are so-so, but they look like chocolate, and who could go wrong with THAT?! :confused3

I am back !! Trying to catch up. !! Good trip but toooo much DRAMA!!!!!

So glad to have you back Rosie! I was getting worried about you! I'll have to go to your thread and read about all of the drama. It sure doesn't sound good, though!

Woah... just catching up, but congrats on your pinning and finishing the year with an A! I'm sure it feels AMAZING! And yow, the day of the pinning sounds like it was a doozy. How's your son doing with his wrist?

Thanks!! It was a crazy ending to a crazy year! It does feel very good to know that I was one of about only 5 out of 49 who got straight A's this year. I don't know the exact number as they don't publish the stats, but it makes me feel a LITTLE better about doing ok next year- which I hear is MUCH harder than the one I just finished. Typically, the 2nd Years have score 10-12% points lower than they did in first year- which puts me at just passing.

Zachary is doing ok. His wrist does still ache on occasion, but he is past the narcs phase and just on Ibuprofen now. He'll probably have to have the cast for 10 weeks, which really stinks up his summer.

I am leaving for a 9 day camping trip this Saturday, (no internet while I'm gone, Friends!) and will take some ECG and Fluids/Electrolytes books AND a Jane Austen book. We'll see which one wins.

I am living this feeling this weekend. Ugh No work but a TON of yard and housework that neds to be done before relaxing can actually start.

Yeah, I have been trying to relax by clearing out my Jung... er Garden and getting some things in. Late, I know, but it is mindless, albeit back-breaking, work. I am SO out of shape!!

The margarita stuff is over there, by the fridge.
No. Not there. Over there. Yeah. That's it.

Good luck with the interview tomorrow!

Thanks!! I was panicking!

Not really, I took the Syrah instead. It actually went quite well with the chicken enchiladas. :cloud9:

:mickeyjum11 months, 2 weeks, and 5 days until my next Disney trip! :simba:

YAY!!!! That's super exciting!!! I wish mine was that close! :rolleyes1

I just caught up on your posts but not so much the chatter in between. I'm loving it!

Awww, THANK YOU and :welcome::welcome::welcome:

I admit there is a fair amount of in between mostly-bologna, albeit at times rather hilarious wise-cracking. Don't be shy, we can always use more vict... er, ummm...playmates. :goodvibes

In all seriousness, you are welcome to comment as much as you'd like. Trust me, come Fall, I'll need a fair amount of distraction (well, just enough) to keep me sane. Or at least keep the illusion I have some left.

You're not the only one what?

:rolleyes2

:laughing: Please tell me you've seen the "Jessica is a party pooper video?"
If not, or just for a refresh, here it is.

Meh. You can always get a fine young... strapping... fair haired... muscular... man to mow the lawn.

.... we are not alone.

OH. MY. HECK!!!! I have never seen that. And literally was LOLing. That is some seriously funny stuff! I have no idea what that is from, but thanks for brightening my day before another interview.

I understand that there are finer, younger men (but he currently has broken bones), but mine can still swing an axe, regularly summits mountains roped up, can run a 10K, has survived cancer, and only costs dinner and quality time each night.

but thanks for brightening my day before another interview.

You're welcome... and good luck with the interview!

I understand that there are finer, younger men (but he currently has broken bones), but mine can still swing an axe, regularly summits mountains roped up, can run a 10K, has survived cancer, and only costs dinner and quality time each night.

I'm no expert, but I'd say you should probably keep him then.

ETA:
I just noticed the similarities between he and I.
I can still swing a fork, regularly climb out of bed with only minimal groaning, can run to the bathroom when necessary, have survived living with three females (so far... the survival I mean) and cook dinner.
Almost the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter