The 4 Keys to become 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe just how we travel - we always look for value and how to make our dollar stretch whether it is to Disney or anywhere else so we never did "packages" as we couldn't afford them (or didn't think they were worth it). Things you mention (staying deluxe, doing after hours events, having park hopers, etc) aren't things we ever (or at least rarely) ever did anyway

So maybe not via packages specifically but I think if going to Disney is a priority one can still make it work - not cheap but can be done.

And we are probably way off topic so sorry for derailing things

I get it. Been there done that. Don't think I'm saying there is anything wrong with that at all. We should probably practice some of the financial restraint you do. I spend money like a drunken sailor at WDW. Feels good until the bill shows up. :)

rteetz said:
I think Disney would argue they do have affordable packages.

all I’m saying is and also what others know and have said. Disney is not cheap. I can ask any person I work with or know that has been there or hasn’t been there and 100 percent of them will say it’s not cheap. It is deff a step above a typical middle America trip when it comes to needed money.

Right, and I am not @rteetz so I didn't say packages (you said I did)

And I fully agree they are not cheap, and have said that, and I don't think anyone would argue that. I just see a difference b/w "affordable" and "cheap"

I'm not a Disney employee, so not sure I'd even ever heard of the keys previously. But now that I do know...what will adding "inclusion" actually do? What will change? Was Disney being discriminatory previously? Have people not been included? Never having worked there, I have no idea.

I do know that the company where I work (not Disney) has recently ramped up "diversity and inclusion" things. There's even now a Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer, who holds a SVP rank.

Diversity, of course, is extremely important. But I don't think it should be forced, or be like a quota system.
And I don't think anyone should get a job over anyone else BECAUSE of their race or gender.

Ticking a diversity box shouldn't give you an edge, but a job also shouldn't just automatically go to a white male (obviously).

This thread has two more pages to it, so I don't know if anyone has responded. But have you ever been a victim of discrimination? Like I said elsewhere (maybe this thread?) I'm a 40 yo white guy with a wife and kids. I have never been a victim of discrimination so I can't reasonably know what minorities or members of the LGBTQ community feel. However I can imagine that if the company I'm working for is making an effort to acknowledge diversity and inclusion, it may make me feel more comfortable working there.

The family and I struggle with the argument of how to spend less when going to Disney. First thing to go will be the dining plan we typically get. Next will be offsite stays. To me it's the fear of the unknown. How good is the experience of staying out of the bubble compared to being in it? We don't go often enough and with the pandemic, the next time may be years from now. Do I really "waste" a trip with an experiment knowing staying on site is such an enjoyable experience.

Damn, Disney really did good screwing with my head.

This thread has two more pages to it, so I don't know if anyone has responded. But have you ever been a victim of discrimination? Like I said elsewhere (maybe this thread?) I'm a 40 yo white guy with a wife and kids. I have never been a victim of discrimination so I can't reasonably know what minorities or members of the LGBTQ community feel. However I can imagine that if the company I'm working for is making an effort to acknowledge diversity and inclusion, it may make me feel more comfortable working there.

I'm a 50 year old white guy, who has lived most of my life in a majority black community. I'm discriminated against just about every day. It's tiresome but you just move on, doing your best to show folks that you're a good person and that they can trust you. If everyone did this I think we'd all get along better. But some folks have to make a big issue of it...

Would you consider sitting in a meeting and having leadership tell you that they are looking to "hire and promote fewer white males" discrimination? The quoted are exact words.

"But have you ever been a victim of discrimination?"
After the company I worked for was swallowed by a large international conglomerate, i was nominated to the High Potentials program by my new leadership. The explanation for my denial was I was too old at 40. Does that count?

Sometimes discrimination can be very subtle. I'm a veteran of the Vietnam era and back then we were looked upon with distain by many. Can't say I recognized any discrimination that specifically affected me, but I know that I helped my company's "numbers" because I was a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter