"Thats not a parade! There's no candy!"

Meeko5

DIS Veteran
Said by DS6 when I showed him a video of the FoF parade on YouTube. But look at all the characters and cool floats, kid! Don't you want to see them? "Nah!"

I guess the good news is we will have shorter ride lines during parades, but man I loved them as a child and am a little sad that he doesn't want to watch them. He loves newer disney movies (Toy Story, Nemo, WallE, Monsters Inc) but could care less about the old ones, and princesses. The only character he considered meeting was Baymax and now that's out too.

Anyone have a non-character kid that ended up surprising them once there? DH will probably be thrilled to not have to sit thru parades too. Fun suckers! :p

He loves newer disney movies (Toy Story, Nemo, WallE, Monsters Inc) but could care less about the old ones, and princesses. The only character he considered meeting was Baymax and now that's out too.
I know that your post was light-hearted, but this is an issue that Disney is going to have to address sooner rather than later. And perhaps the re-do of DHS will move in this direction. But much of the MK, including things like the parade you refer to, is based on "memories" and "nostalgia". My parents were little when those old movies first came out. They started taking us to WDW and in their minds, they were reliving things that they actually lived through. (Snow White, Fantasia, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc.) So their memories became things they introduced me to. Then when my daughter was born, I started introducing her to things that were nostalgic to me. I don't have a memory of Cinderella being released in the theaters because I wasn't born yet. So "memories" doesn't apply here. But nostalgia does. But with each new generation, the memories disappear, and the nostalgia erodes. When my daughter has children, (assuming that she ever does), she isn't as likely to introduce her kids to Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty nearly as much as she is going to want to introduce them to Woody and Buzz. And Nemo. And Mike and Sully. Disney really needs to do more to integrate the last 30 years into the parks. They do well with Ariel and Toy Story. And now Frozen. But there is a lot that they are leaving behind.

Jimmy V you are so right. My own son who is now 20 has grown up in the parks and has a special place in his heart for older attractions only because we have passed on our love of them. We are taking his GF for her first ever trip in September and have been having Disney movie nights so that she "gets" it. She had never seen Peter Pan or Dumbo. Her favorite movies are Tarzan and Hercules-nothing in the parks for them.

OP-I think once you are there your ds will get engrossed in what's going on and want to see the characters and participate.

I would make plans to be in the vicinity of the parade in Frontierland when it starts. Maybe grab a snack. That way he could see the parade start and it might pique his interest. It really is a great parade even if you are not that familiar with all of the characters. If he really is not into it you can make your way to other attractions. Figure out where you will want to go if he's not going to watch so you can be on the right side of the street to get there. Here's to hoping he likes it! Cheers!!!!!

I would make plans to be in the vicinity of the parade in Frontierland when it starts. Maybe grab a snack. That way he could see the parade start and it might pique his interest. It really is a great parade even if you are not that familiar with all of the characters. If he really is not into it you can make your way to other attractions. Figure out where you will want to go if he's not going to watch so you can be on the right side of the street to get there. Here's to hoping he likes it! Cheers!!!!!

Great advice! Thank you I Will look into spots to do just that.

I love the "old" disney stuff and appreciate how they keep a lot of it around for nostalgia for the grown ups. I'm excited to see the new things since I've last been (15 years) but agree they are missing the mark on incorporating more new Things for the younger generation. Wall-E being incorporated into Epcot would fit perfectly, for example. How great would it be to have a push-style WallE robot roaming the park? Maybe I'm just biased since my son could care less about Frozen, and they seem to be heavily pushing the Frozen agenda all over. And obviously with high demand it's been successful for them so it makes sense.

...they are missing the mark on incorporating more new Things for the younger generation.

Food for thought. In the 20 year period between 1994 and 2014, Disney produced the following*, (including theatrical and direct-to-video sequels):

• Lion King-Major Show and Minor Show (in The Land)
  • Pocahontas-Appears in Fantasmic
  • The entire Toy Story franchise-Two Major Attractions
  • Hunchback of Notre Dame-Nothing
  • 101 Dalmatians (live action)-Nothing
  • Hercules-Nothing
  • Mulan-Nothing (Maybe a character meet and greet?)
  • Bug's Life-Major Attraction
  • Tarzan-Nothing
  • Atlantis-Nothing
  • Monsters Inc.-Major Attraction
  • Treasure Planet-Nothing
  • Brother Bear-Nothing (Maybe a call-out in Canada?)
  • Finding Nemo-Major Show, Minor Show (Turtle Talk) and Minor Attraction
  • The Incredibles-Nothing (Maybe a character meet and greet?)
  • Emperor's New Groove-Nothing
  • Lilo and Stitch-Major Attraction (that nobody likes)
  • The entire Pirates of the Caribbean franchise-Major Attraction
  • The National Treasure franchise-Nothing
  • Ratatouille-Nothing
  • Meet the Robinson's-Nothing
  • Bolt-Nothing
  • Wall-E-Nothing
  • The entire Chronicles of Narnia franchise-Nothing
  • The Princess and the Frog-Nothing (Maybe a character meet and greet?)
  • Up-Nothing
  • Tangled-A Bathroom (and apparently the return of a meet and greet)
  • The entire Cars franchise-Character Icons at AoA Resort
  • Wreck-It-Ralph-Nothing (Maybe a character meet and greet?)
  • Brave-Nothing (Maybe a character meet and greet?)
  • Frozen-Sing-A-Long and Soon to be a Major Attraction
  • Big Hero 6-Nothing now that the meet and greet is gone
So if you have a child between the ages of 0-21, most of their childhood memories are unrepresented or under-represented in the parks. This really needs to change.

*This is just the list that I compiled based on my subjective view on quality and potential longevity. There are many, many other things produced during that time that others think deserve to be mentioned, such as High School Musical, or The Cheetah Girls, or Hannah Montana, or Phineas and Furb, among others.

Last edited:
The title reminded me of when we were watching the Fourth of July fireworks back home when my son was 3. He said "these aren't fireworks, where's the castle and music?".

I agree with the previous poster who suggested "happening upon a parade", they create quite a commotion and he might want to stay and watch once he actually catches a glimpse of one. Personally, I find parades kind of boring, but maybe that's because my parents never let me watch them as a kid because it was the best time to ride rides.

I think there is still plenty of recognizable characters in the parade - BATB, Frozen, the Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Sleeping Beauty got a new lease on life through Maleficent, Snow White through the 7DMT, which kids adore, hmmm...what else is in FoF? The Fab 5 are still major players. I know several children who just love them.

It's up to parents to introduce their children to these movies. Most little girls still know all the classic princesses. Perhaps this is more an issue of boy-centric characters being under represented, which I do think is a problem.

ETA: Brave is in FoF too. That's certainly not old.

Well looking at that list, I guess there actually are quite a few represented - Just not *my* family's favorites :P

Perhaps this is more an issue of boy-centric characters being under represented, which I do think is a problem.

They definitely don't have the staying power as the princesses, that's for sure. And while I generally don't like to make the distinction between "boy" and "girl" characters, my son doesnt give a crap about princesses or any movie with a princess in it. Refused to even give Frozen a try despite having Sven, Olaf, and Kristoff. However, bring out Wreck it Ralph and Felix, Hiro and Baymax, and maybe I could get him to enjoy a character parade.

Last edited:
Well looking at that list, I guess there actually are quite a few represented - Just not *my* family's favorites :P

They definitely don't have the staying power as the princesses, that's for sure. And while I generally don't like to make the distinction between "boy" and "girl" characters, my son definitely give a crap about princesses or any movie with a princess in it. Refused to even give Frozen a try despite having Sven, Olaf, and Kristoff. However, bring out Wreck it Ralph and Felix, Hiro and Baymax, and maybe I could get him to enjoy a character parade.

My 10 yo nephew had a straight up melt down when we took him to the Frozen sing-a-long. He covered his ears the entire time. I don't like to make the boy and girl distinction either but my niece and nephew certainly do.

I'm a woman, but I think the best animated film out of Disney in the last 10 years is Wreck It Ralph. It's just such a solid movie all around. I wish they were in the parks more. It was fun playing the Fix It Felix game at Disneyquest. Too bad that's going now, too. All it needed was an upgrade in technology, but I guess it doesn't fit in with the bougie new image of Disney Springs, lol. However, I digress.

My 10 yo nephew had a straight up melt down when we took him to the Frozen sing-a-long. He covered his ears the entire time. I don't like to make the boy and girl distinction either but my niece and nephew certainly do.

I'm a woman, but I think the best animated film out of Disney in the last 10 years is Wreck It Ralph. It's just such a solid movie all around. I wish they were in the parks more. It was fun playing the Fix It Felix game at Disneyquest. Too bad that's going now, too. All it needed was an upgrade in technology, but I guess it doesn't fit in with the bougie new image of Disney Springs, lol. However, I digress.

I'm definitely not sad to skip the frozen stuff - and thrilled to avoid fairytale hall and CRT. I'm a "boy's mom" through and through! I'm sure my son would throw a huge fit during a sing along of any kind, much less the Frozen one. Unless there was Minecraft somehow involved :)

I agree on Wreck It Ralph. So well done, great characters, I just love it. I still tear up at the end!

I went back and edited the list. There is still a lot of "red" on the list. And some of the "blue" include a bathroom and some car statues at a resort.

I went back and edited the list. There is still a lot of "red" on the list. And some of the "blue" include a bathroom and some car statues at a resort.

I think there is a dalmation statue at Pop too, dont forget that one - woo :P And those Tangled bathrooms are apparently amazing, lol!

I thought I saw someone who posted a "M&G" of sorts with Lightning and Mater from Cars inside one of the parks, but I could be wrong.

Do your local parades still throw out candy?! Ours haven't for years due to the safety risk for kids chasing candy!

Do your local parades still throw out candy?! Ours haven't for years due to the safety risk for kids chasing candy!

They do! I'm always a nervous wreck, but thankfully havent seen any kids injured. Clearly it has tainted DS's view of parades though lol

Food for thought. In the 20 year period between 1994 and 2014, Disney produced the following*, (including theatrical and direct-to-video sequels):

• Lion King-Major Show and Minor Show (in The Land)
  • Pocahontas-Appears in Fantasmic
  • The entire Toy Story franchise-Two Major Attractions
  • Hunchback of Notre Dame-Nothing
  • 101 Dalmatians (live action)-Nothing
  • Hercules-Nothing
  • Mulan-Nothing (Maybe a character meet and greet?)
  • Bug's Life-Major Attraction
  • Tarzan-Nothing
  • Atlantis-Nothing
  • Monsters Inc.-Major Attraction
  • Treasure Planet-Nothing
  • Brother Bear-Nothing (Maybe a call-out in Canada?)
  • Finding Nemo-Major Show, Minor Show (Turtle Talk) and Minor Attraction
  • The Incredibles-Nothing (Maybe a character meet and greet?)
  • Emperor's New Groove-Nothing
  • Lilo and Stitch-Major Attraction (that nobody likes)
  • The entire Pirates of the Caribbean franchise-Major Attraction
  • The National Treasure franchise-Nothing
  • Ratatouille-Nothing
  • Meet the Robinson's-Nothing
  • Bolt-Nothing
  • Wall-E-Nothing
  • The entire Chronicles of Narnia franchise-Nothing
  • The Princess and the Frog-Nothing (Maybe a character meet and greet?)
  • Up-Nothing
  • Tangled-A Bathroom (and apparently the return of a meet and greet)
  • The entire Cars franchise-Character Icons at AoA Resort
  • Wreck-It-Ralph-Nothing (Maybe a character meet and greet?)
  • Brave-Nothing (Maybe a character meet and greet?)
  • Frozen-Sing-A-Long and Soon to be a Major Attraction
  • Big Hero 6-Nothing now that the meet and greet is gone
So if you have a child between the ages of 0-21, most of their childhood memories are unrepresented or under-represented in the parks. This really needs to change.

*This is just the list that I compiled based on my subjective view on quality and potential longevity. There are many, many other things produced during that time that others think deserve to be mentioned, such as High School Musical, or The Cheetah Girls, or Hannah Montana, or Phineas and Furb, among others.

Your still missing quite a bit on this list. The Lion King, Toy Story, and 101 Dalmatians all have hotel section themed around them while The Princess and the Frog and Pirates have specially decorated hotel rooms. The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game includes Lion King, Pocahontas, 101 Dalmatians, Emperors New Groove and Princess and the Frog and Hercules. Brave and Tangled are part of the FoF parade. The Incredibles have a dance party in Tomorrowland. The Wilderness Explorers activity in Animal Kingdom is from Up and there's a M&G. Pocahontas has a M&G in AK too. Lilo and Stitch have a character breakfast at Ohana's. While it isn't at WDW, Tarzan does have a tree house in Disneyland and Cars and Bugs Life have their own lands in California Adventure. Hunchback of Notre Dame used to have a show but it was replaced several years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter