• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

THANKSGIVING week planning??

We go this time every year. This year we will arrive on the 16th. Our park days are
11/16 arrival
11/17 HS
11/18 MK
11/19 EP
11/20 AK
11/21 HS
11/22 MK
11/23 AK
11/24 EP
11/25 MK
11/26 home
We almost always do Epcot on Thanksgiving. This is our schedule. The first 4 days usually allow us to do everything that we really want to do so there have been times that we change it up just depending on how we feel that day and if there are any fastpasses that we might want available. Last year they started with us having to get her park hoppers or water parks and more option on the tickets in order to receive free dining. We chose water parks and more and several evening at Disney Quest. Kids love it, I don't care if I ever go back :)

We go this time every year. This year we will arrive on the 16th. Our park days are
11/16 arrival
11/17 HS
11/18 MK
11/19 EP
11/20 AK
11/21 HS
11/22 MK
11/23 AK
11/24 EP
11/25 MK
11/26 home
We almost always do Epcot on Thanksgiving. This is our schedule. The first 4 days usually allow us to do everything that we really want to do so there have been times that we change it up just depending on how we feel that day and if there are any fastpasses that we might want available. Last year they started with us having to get her park hoppers or water parks and more option on the tickets in order to receive free dining. We chose water parks and more and several evening at Disney Quest. Kids love it, I don't care if I ever go back :)

WOW!! You really ARE a Thanksgiving Disney Veteranpixiedust: Clearly you are really familiar with the parks/crowds etc. Do you notice it getting busier or less busier as the years go by? Just curious! I'm still torn as to whether or not to try MK on Thanksgiving. Part of me loves the idea of being there on Thanksgiving (and it appears to be open later in the past?), and the other part of me (the sane part) says "stay away" Lol and just go to AK on that day.

Seems like all our schedules vary just slightly (depending upon our family's needs). Many of us seem to have selected MK on the 22nd though so I guess I have that going for me.:) (Though i pretty much selected that day only because by chance we were able to get and ADR at CRT for breakfast. A coup for me since we just decided to basically go to disney just last month so we've missed the boat on the 180 ADR's. I'm contemplating (crazy) of switching the CRT for a LATE dinner (11ish) so we don't waste that early morning time sitting in breakfast though. Just not sure about my kiddos moods by 11 pm. then again, they will most likely be up and still at the park so why not have a late night snack????princess: Guess I just need to make up my mind on that and also which park I want to try out on our arrival day. Had planned for HS but am not sure if we need 1 1/2 days there? (though my son/daughter do love Star Wars so....), thought maybe MK for 1/2 late day/early evening but I doubt I could tear the kids away for an early night. Oh decisions decisions...(wondering if i liked it better when we just "wing it"?? haha

11/16 arrival
11/17 HS
11/18 MK
11/19 EP
11/20 AK
11/21 HS
11/22 MK
11/23 AK
11/24 EP
11/25 MK
11/26 home

Forgot to ask, since you have gone every year, have the parks always had extended hours or earlier openings? It certainly would make my planing a whole lot easier if Disney would just cooperate and release that schedule since they want ME to plan 180 days out. Just saying.....:confused:

Is your plan based off the crowd calendar? Is the best strategy to book the fast passes later in the day? Not only is this Thanksgiving week, this is my first trip. Not sure what time we should start using FP. I figured it will be crowded regardless.

Both easywdw.com crowd calendar and where we will be staying. We will be at the AKV for a few nights and then move over to the GFV. We want to travel by monorail as much as possible once we more.

While i'm still planning....planning to do EP on Friday 25th since that is the 1st day (and only of our trip) for Holidays around the World etc... My question: will it really be all that different than if we went there a day or two before that or is the 25th something "magical" there and worth waiting for?

We're going 11/19-11/26, also went last year for Thanksgiving. Right now I have this planned but I could still change things lol!
11/19 MK, dinner Cape May Cafe (staying at BCV)
11/20 HS, lunch Mama Melrose, dinner Narcoossee's
11/21 Epcot, dinner Il Mulino
11/22 AK/MK, dinner BOG
11/23 MK/AK, dinner Yak & Yeti
11/24 Splitsville, hang out DS, dinner Trails End, possibly Epcot or HS
11/25 HS/Epcot, dinner Marrakesh
11/26 Trails End brunch, MK, lunch LTT, flight home 9:30 pm

While i'm still planning....planning to do EP on Friday 25th since that is the 1st day (and only of our trip) for Holidays around the World etc... My question: will it really be all that different than if we went there a day or two before that or is the 25th something "magical" there and worth waiting for?
Holidays around the World is really cool, so you won't get that before the 25th. I think it's worth it. We did it last year, also a few years ago when we flew in late on Thanksgiving. My kids (and me!) love the storytellers! Other than that and the Candelight Processional and just more of a "holiday" feel in my opinion, nothing else will be different.

I'm also working on plans for that week so it's fun to read what everyone else is thinking. I have been using easywdw and Touring Plans to inform our plans but haven't followed them exactly. Currently I have:

11/19 Arrival
11/20 AK
11/21 With Family
11/22 Not sure-was debating between DHS or another day at AK or MK
11/23 With Family
11/24 MK (BOG dinner)
11/25 MK
11/26 EP
11/27 Departure

I know we are going against the advice of easywdw and TP to be at MK on Thanksgiving but we were able to get BOG dinner for that day which we really want to try. I think I feel ok about the other days, but it's interesting how different all of our itineraries are. Usually when I compare mine to others on the Dis, I feel like I have chosen the right days because they are all pretty similar. Maybe it's because there is more ambiguity this year with the slowness in the updated hours??? I'm a little bit worried about choosing a day for AK or DHS and then having it be a day that they aren't running ROL (if open) or SW fireworks. I guess one benefit of it being more crowded is that they might run them every night???

I have been reading up on FP on Mesaboy's thread. It seems like the prevailing wisdom there for scheduling FP is late morning to mid-afternoon. We used that strategy at Christmas time and it seemed to work well for us. I'm thinking about using that time frame again.

Most of our party has APs so I'm debating about adding the PH option. So many questions still lingering for me!

Last edited:
WOW!! You really ARE a Thanksgiving Disney Veteranpixiedust: Clearly you are really familiar with the parks/crowds etc. Do you notice it getting busier or less busier as the years go by? Just curious! I'm still torn as to whether or not to try MK on Thanksgiving. Part of me loves the idea of being there on Thanksgiving (and it appears to be open later in the past?), and the other part of me (the sane part) says "stay away" Lol and just go to AK on that day.
I find that the crowds are less than they were several years ago. We comment on it each year. We did MK on Thanksgiving and it was really crowded. Have found that earlier is better on thanksgiving. Seems like people hang out and eat then head to the parks. We love Epcot on Thanksgiving. We just eat around the world. All day! We love it! Just know that while it is crowded, it's totally do-able. We keep going back

Forgot to ask, since you have gone every year, have the parks always had extended hours or earlier openings? It certainly would make my planing a whole lot easier if Disney would just cooperate and release that schedule since they want ME to plan 180 days out. Just saying.....:confused:
We get to the parks early and we are usually either back at the hotel or at Downtown Disney by dinner. But it does seem like they had a lot of late nights.

Holidays around the World is really cool, so you won't get that before the 25th. I think it's worth it. We did it last year, also a few years ago when we flew in late on Thanksgiving. My kids (and me!) love the storytellers! Other than that and the Candelight Processional and just more of a "holiday" feel in my opinion, nothing else will be different.

Thank you. I was hoping it would be that way. We went Christmas 5 years ago but my twins were so little they remember nothing (nor do i since it was a rough trip for them being jam packed like sardines). I will definitely plan for EP on Friday then.

This will be our first Thanksgiving trip. However, I find my park days to be very similar to all the WDW trips we have planned before. We will rope drop every park day.

11/20 - arrive and check into GFV around 7pm. Will take the monorail that night to guest services at MK to activate our APs. Want to save some time on our first park day.
11/21 - Epcot
11/22 - MK
11/23 - AK
11/24 - Hang out at the pool. Dinner either at Trail's End or the DVC Thanksgiving feast. I need to decide!
11/25 - Take an airboat swamp tour
11/26 - DHS
11/27 - head home

We will be going back for a 9 day trip next June so I just keep telling myself, if we don't get everything done, no biggie!

I have no idea what to do. My FP selection is coming up this Wednesday and I've yet to figure out what park to visit on what day. This is all new to me and my family vacations are usually sitting on Florida's white sandy beaches staring at the Gulf of Mexico under the sun with a beer in my hand. So, planning parks and FP rides at certain times is just crazy talk.

With the aid of the crowd calendar, this is what I'm thinking.
11-20 Resort Day only (Poly)
11-21 HS in the morning, MK in the afternoon\evening (Wishes)
11-22 Epcot in the morning and HS in the evening hoping that Star Wars fireworks will be showing. If no Star Wars, then F! May head back to Epcot for extended hours.
11-23 Epcot all day (Illuminations)
11-24 AK in the morning, Spirit of Aloha @ 515pm, MK in the afternoon\evening
11-25 Heading home

Thoughts? Probably the most illogical plan you will ever find on this board! :crazy2: Once I figure out parks and days, then I will figure out FP.

FINALLY, I think i have a plan (until of course I decide i need to change it again :rolleyes:. So far:

Sat 19th: arrival, hotel (POR) HS
Sun 20th: EP (figured it was the latest to open and closest to us...easier 1st morning with the littles).
Mon 21st: MK ( Rope drop: not sure why crowd calendars all say avoid MK on this Monday?? Would switch with EP but can't decide. Maybe FP available will decide for me??....)
Tu 22nd: MK (CRT at (9:15. only time we could get it at such late notice),
wed 23rd: HS
Thur 24th: AK (might switch and do HS on Thksgng)
Fri 25th: EP (want to see Holidays around the world etc...)

Now to figure out those dang FP+'s...

I have no idea what to do. My FP selection is coming up this Wednesday and I've yet to figure out what park to visit on what day. This is all new to me and my family vacations are usually sitting on Florida's white sandy beaches staring at the Gulf of Mexico under the sun with a beer in my hand. So, planning parks and FP rides at certain times is just crazy talk.

11-22 Epcot in the morning and HS in the evening hoping that Star Wars fireworks will be showing. If no Star Wars, then F! May head back to Epcot for extended hours.
11-25 Heading home

Thoughts? Probably the most illogical plan you will ever find on this board! :crazy2: Once I figure out parks and days, then I will figure out FP.

Don't worry. I tried using the crowd calendars, other suggestions from helpful DIS members :thanks: and still am befuddled with my own current plan.

Tomorrow is my fast pass day and this is what we are planning:

Sat, Nov.19 (arrive at Poly) spend evening swimming, relaxing and getting unpacked and ready
Sunday, Nov. 20 Epcot: plan to get up and go and spend most of morning/afternoon and head back for dinner at Kona at 5:30pm, evening swim
Monday,Nov. 21 DHS: all day with a Fantasmic luncheon
Tuesday, Nov.22 MK: rope drop and stay until evening
Wednesday, Nov. 23 Epcot...arrive early afternoon and stay for illuminations- since we have Via Napoli this will be our World Showcase day
Thursday, Nov. 24: Animal Kingdom...we have a Tusker Brunch so arrival time depends on Rivers of Light
Friday, Nov. 25: MK: hope to be there early and leave earlier and watch Wishes at Poly
Sat, Nov. 26: Flight home

This is our 3rd Thanksgiving trip over the last 6 years so following a similar plan of action. Now to figure out my FP+ before 7am tomorrow

11-25 Heading home

FINALLY, I think i have a plan (until of course I decide i need to change it again :rolleyes:. So far:

Sat 19th: arrival, hotel (POR) HS
Sun 20th: EP (figured it was the latest to open and closest to us...easier 1st morning with the littles).
Mon 21st: MK ( Rope drop: not sure why crowd calendars all say avoid MK on this Monday?? Would switch with EP but can't decide. Maybe FP available will decide for me??....)
Tu 22nd: MK (CRT at (9:15. only time we could get it at such late notice),
wed 23rd: HS
Thur 24th: AK (might switch and do HS on Thksgng)
Fri 25th: EP (want to see Holidays around the world etc...)

Now to figure out those dang FP+'s...
I posted up thread that this will be our 2nd year going for Thanksgiving. In the past I've used easywdw, like for years. I kind of did for this trip but not as much as I normally do. If you read what he's written lately he's not really doing crowd calendars anymore; things have changed so much between weird crowds, Disney being late in releasing hours/ show times etc., and some other things, and he's not comfortable making the predictions he used to. And I completely understand why. So bottom line even though all of our schedules vary to some degree I don't think you should be concerned. It's going to be crowded no doubt. Things beyond our control can effect our plans/trips/touring, for better or for worse. So stick with what you have and don't worry :goodvibes
I will say lots of us seem to be doing MK on the 22nd though lol!

I posted up thread that this will be our 2nd year going for Thanksgiving. In the past I've used easywdw, like for years. I kind of did for this trip but not as much as I normally do. If you read what he's written lately he's not really doing crowd calendars anymore; things have changed so much between weird crowds, Disney being late in releasing hours/ show times etc., and some other things, and he's not comfortable making the predictions he used to. And I completely understand why. So bottom line even though all of our schedules vary to some degree I don't think you should be concerned. It's going to be crowded no doubt. Things beyond our control can effect our plans/trips/touring, for better or for worse. So stick with what you have and don't worry :goodvibes
I will say lots of us seem to be doing MK on the 22nd though lol!

I totally agree with you. It will be crowded no matter what plan you choose. Though as much as I love the idea of being in MK for Thanksgiving, I'm not sure i am ready for THOSE crowds after having experienced Christmas/New Years Eve so I may suck it up and hang out at AK.:tongue: Who knows what can happen to alter the plans?? (not getting FP, change of ADR, RAIN, etc...) in fact, on one of our earlier trips way back we had to cancel an entire day because one of the kids came down with the flu...poor baby (and mommy). Yuck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter