• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

THANKSGIVING week planning??

Trinav

Earning My Ears
I am struggling to plan what day to tour each park for our trip for Thanksgiving week 11//19-11/26. A little background: Family of 4, traveling to celebrate our twins 8th birthday, staying on site (for the 1st time. Previously we have stayed off site), arriving at noon on Saturday 19th, leaving afternoon following Saturday 26th. So far the only 2 "for sure" plans i have are MK on Tues (22nd) for CRT and Epcot Friday (25th) because it's the only day for holiday around the world while we are there. Aside from those two days nothing is set in stone. So many different sites suggesting which parks are best to avoid crowds and all with differing strategies. So for those who have been during this week (or are going) what advice can you give? We've been to Disney previously but never really planned it...more of a winging it type with older teens. I realize it's a busy week and every day is going to be busy but we had to go this week. I figure it can't be any worse than when we went for Christmas/New Years with 3 yr old twins. YIKES!! Do I avoid parks with EMH or take advantage of them? PS... we do not have park hopper because it was a nightmare trying to do that during Christmas so we got the base tickets. Appreciate any help.

Hi. We'll be there! I tried to use easywdw days, in the past he's been the best for me. But, we do park hop because of MK being open later than all other parks. We would arrive during the first parade and get a ton done. With no parade this year, we have no idea if that strategy is good.

Thanksgiving is not as busy as Christmas, more like summer crowds, so definitely manageable. But, no Osborne Lights probably makes our past experience moot too, although the night hours at AK may help.

Without hoppers, I can't give advice on EMH. I would say go early then hop, or go to late EMH after spending the day at another park, pool, mini golf, etc.

If you're early risers and do rope drop, don't get fps for first thing, you can get on plenty before lines get too long. Then start fps around 11.

Oh, and do the Jingle Cruise at night. It's fantastic.

The earlier in the week you can get to the parks the better. We usually plan on doing MK and EPCOT multiple days. I avoid EMH parks since we are not early risers (which I know goes against all advice to rope drop). Wed-Sat will be very crowded everywhere and Friday in EPCOT WS will be nuts, but we love seeing Holiday Around The World, Candlelight Processional, and Holiday Illuminations (a can't miss for us!). I use Josh's calendar at easywdw (still listed as preliminary for Nov 2016).

Thanksgiving Day we relax in the morning and do something other than a park. We have been to Typhoon Lagoon and played mini golf. We eat in EPCOT that evening.

Understand the crowds will be heavy. Make dining reservations if you like sit down meals. QS places will be crowded during traditional meal times so try to eat at off times. Have your FP set up and plan other rides in the area before you move on so you aren't fighting crowds back and forth in the parks. Arrange for FP for the popular rides, Frozen, 7DMT, TSM later in the trip. They may be gone on your FP day (9/20) for the first few days of your trip. We don't do hoppers either since the security and transportation lines will be very long. If you plan on seeing Wishes be aware of the crowds after the show will be claustrophobic.

All that said, we love going that week. Park hours will be extended. Typically there are no refurbishments planned. Decorations are beautiful. Weather can get chilly at night and can be hot during the day so you have to be prepared for either. Usually there isn't much rain that week.

Feel free to ask any questions you have!

Last edited:
Thank you both so much for your advice. I will take another look at the wdw website again. We have tentatively planned to do 2 days MK, 2 days EP, 1 AK and 1HS. Since we have 7 day passes we thought on arrival day hopping over to HS since we won't be so tempted to stay late (husband adamant about not wasting 1 day of tickets ). Wondering if we want to only do 1 full day at HS or 1 1/2 days there? Or if we want to use that arrival day to do s other 1/2 day MK? Would love to do MK on thksgvg but am worried if we choose to leave for a few hours we can't get back in? Experienced this during Christmas break and were forced to stay all day (with 3 yr old twins)!

I don't think you need to worry too much about leaving and returning Thanksgiving Day. I don't believe the parks are as crazy packed as they are on Christmas Day. Plus, since you're staying onsite this time, you will be in the last group to be denied entry. Or close to the last anyway.

I love DHS, but I also love Star Wars. :) So unless you're a big Star Wars fan, I'd only spend one day there because a lot of things have been closed. I'd suggest either an arrival day at MK or maybe AK if the night time entertainment is being offered. It will still close earlier than MK and there will be more to do than DHS.

I have an AP so I can't imagine doing only one park a day. :) But you'll have a great time no matter which park you choose.

We were there last year for the weekend before thanksgiving and didn't have crowds until Monday came. Friday we did ak, no crowds. Saturday was mk in the morning and ds in the evening; no crowds for mk, crowds for Osborne lights, of course. Sunday was Epcot...no crowds; then teens went over to mk for fireworks, no big crowds. Monday we did emh at ds with medium crowds and by 11 waited 45 min just to get through security at mk. We had lunch, used a couple fp's and headed out of the big crowds to Disney springs. Disney springs was crowded, but we saw a movie and the theater was practically empty. Just take your time & enjoy.

Just in case, since it hasn't been mentioned. FP+ is a MUST. Your 60day window opens very soon.

Following along. I have a park day TBD the Monday before Thanksgiving. Advice on Kenny the Pirate suggests avoid MK when it is a non-party day, because crowds will be there to see Wishes. Also avoid EMH park. I'm still undecided.

Just in case, since it hasn't been mentioned. FP+ is a MUST. Your 60day window opens very soon.

Following along. I have a park day TBD the Monday before Thanksgiving. Advice on Kenny the Pirate suggests avoid MK when it is a non-party day, because crowds will be there to see Wishes. Also avoid EMH park. I'm still undecided.[/QUOTE

Yes, I noticed they said avoid MK on Monday also but I wasn't sure why? I sort of thought weekend before would be more crowded than Monday but...what do i know? ;-) However, that being said, some sites say to avoid MK almost EVERY day that week and THAT is just not going to happen for us!!:-) We really want to have at LEAST 2 full days at MK so we've got to fit it in somewhere...seems beginning of that week might be better the more I hear from everyone.

I am following our same plan as we did thanksgiving two years ago except subbing out a second HS day for AK on Thanksgiving. I honestly didn't think it picked up till Wednesday and it was still not as bad as spring break crowds. We do MK on Friday as we always do it as our last park and we RD that day because crowds build and when we left at 1pm, it was crowded.

Following along. I have a park day TBD the Monday before Thanksgiving. Advice on Kenny the Pirate suggests avoid MK when it is a non-party day, because crowds will be there to see Wishes. Also avoid EMH park. I'm still undecided.

Thank you for the FP+ reminder. That's one of the reasons why i am fretting over all of this. lol I am trying to set up a "tentative" schedule so that I have somewhat of a guideline as to which FP+ I want and for what day. It's all new to us. The last time we were at Disney (5 yrs ago) there were still paper FP's and our twins were barely 3 so we were on limited rides especially with the Christmas lines being almost an hour for every single ride.:headache: Not fun with 3 yr olds who had to nap in the park since we couldn't get back in if we left. Looking forward to staying onsite this year to possibly break up our days a little. Celebrating their 8th birthday that week and they love to be on the go so nap/rest might be a must if they are staying up until midnight and then all over again at morning rope drop. I'm tired just thinking about it....

I am following our same plan as we did thanksgiving two years ago except subbing out a second HS day for AK on Thanksgiving. I honestly didn't think it picked up till Wednesday and it was still not as bad as spring break crowds. We do MK on Friday as we always do it as our last park and we RD that day because crowds build and when we left at 1pm, it was crowded.

Would you mind just briefly sharing which parks/which days you went last time just to give me an idea?

Thank you for the FP+ reminder. That's one of the reasons why i am fretting over all of this. lol I am trying to set up a "tentative" schedule so that I have somewhat of a guideline as to which FP+ I want and for what day. It's all new to us. The last time we were at Disney (5 yrs ago) there were still paper FP's and our twins were barely 3 so we were on limited rides especially with the Christmas lines being almost an hour for every single ride.:headache: Not fun with 3 yr olds who had to nap in the park since we couldn't get back in if we left. Looking forward to staying onsite this year to possibly break up our days a little. Celebrating their 8th birthday that week and they love to be on the go so nap/rest might be a must if they are staying up until midnight and then all over again at morning rope drop. I'm tired just thinking about it....

It is SO much easier now that they're older. And once you have the fastpasses, it will be liberating because your plan is all set. They will love the Christmas decorations too!

It is SO much easier now that they're older. And once you have the fastpasses, it will be liberating because your plan is all set. They will love the Christmas decorations too!

I agree. And we are so looking forward to returning. They remember nothing about the 1st time they were there so it will be like their 1st time there again. Down side to my planning is that we decided so late (beginning of last month) to go to disney that finding ADR's has been a bit challenging so I'm trying to just focus on getting a few "key" character meals they might enjoy.

I think i read on here before (but my mind is jumbled), but hasn't MK stayed open until about midnight most nights during Thanksgiving week? If that's the case then it's really not necessary to go there on a PM EMH that could possibly extend it to 2 a.m.? (If I kept the littles out till that time I'm sure my life would be &$#@$ the next day!!:sad:

We will be there the same time. Arriving on Wed. the 16th leaving Sat the 26th. Here are our parks:
17th Epcot
18th Christmas Party at MK
19th AK
20th Epcot
21st DHS
22nd MK
23rd Epcot
24th MK
25th Epcot for Christmas around the World, CP and Holiday Illuminations
26th Epcot for any Christmas around the World we missed until we have to leave to airport, we have a late flight out.

We know it is going to be busy, so have fp+ and will just enjoy what we can.

As far as ADR's I think more will come open in the next week or so as people change things around with their FP's and they finalize things and then again as we get closer. I don't love all of ours and will keep looking. I actually just changes some today, so keep looking.

We will be there the same time. Arriving on Wed. the 16th leaving Sat the 26th. Here are our parks:
17th Epcot
18th Christmas Party at MK
19th AK
20th Epcot
21st DHS
22nd MK
23rd Epcot
24th MK
25th Epcot for Christmas around the World, CP and Holiday Illuminations
26th Epcot for any Christmas around the World we missed until we have to leave to airport, we have a late flight out.

We know it is going to be busy, so have fp+ and will just enjoy what we can.

As far as ADR's I think more will come open in the next week or so as people change things around with their FP's and they finalize things and then again as we get closer. I don't love all of ours and will keep looking. I actually just changes some today, so keep looking.

Is your plan based off the crowd calendar? Is the best strategy to book the fast passes later in the day? Not only is this Thanksgiving week, this is my first trip. Not sure what time we should start using FP. I figured it will be crowded regardless.

following. we are there the same week, and while I have a pretty good plan in place, I'm curious to see what others are doing.

We will be there 11/17 to 11/26

11/17 arrival in afternoon
11/18 Epcot in am then MVMCP at M
11/19 Epcot
11/20 MK
11/21 HS and fantastic package
11/22 Epcot
11/23 MK
11/24 HS
11/25 MK
11/26 AK and fly out that PM

We always avoid MK on TG day due to crowds

We did park hopper one year but had trouble getting to other parks with transportation delays so now we skip it

Crowds are relatively comfortable until Wednesday before TG then they pick up thru the weekend

We are going the same week and doing:
11/20-MK
11/21-E
11/22-AK
11/23-HS
11/24-MK
11/25-E

A lot of planning was based on when we could get ADR. Our FP come available this week, and I plan on trying to start those around 11am. We will be trying for rope drop every morning, as well as have a few ppo ADR(depending on if hours change)

That is when we are going to be there!

Here is our plan using PH's. We looked at Touring plans but decided since every day is a 10/10 busy, we are just going with where we want to go and where we were able to get ADR's. (We booked well after 180 days so some ADR's, like BOG, were impossible to get without lots of time online searching. When I get the chance to book one, I change my plans to match.)

Sat Nov 19 (arrival day)

arrive at the Dolphin at about 4:00 pm
Epcot
The Seas with Nemo and friends
Living with the Land
Marrakesh - ADR
Soarin' by closing

Watch Illuminations

early night right after Soarin' or hop to MK until midnight, hoping for lower crowds late at night, try to get additional FP if possible or necessary

Sunday, Nov 20

early rise for EMH at DHS
Great Movie ride
Muppetvision
Toy Story

move to MK at lunchtime
Little Mermaid
Winnie the Pooh
Buzz Lightyear

Dinner at Artist Point (WL) - ADR

evening TBD

Monday, Nov 21

AK morning
Safari
Flights of Wonder
ITTBAB

move to Epcot at lunchtime
Biergarten - ADR
Meet Disney Pals
Frozen Ever After
Spaceship Earth
Spice Road Table - ADR

evening TBD

Tuesday, Nov 22

Magic Kingdom morning
Buzz Lightyear
POTC
Jungle Cruise
Crystal Palace lunch - ADR

move to Epcot after lunch
Spaceship Earth
Soarin'
Turtle Talk

Evening TBD

Wednesday, Nov 23

Magic Kingdom morning
Buzz Lightyear
WEdway
It's a Small World
Peter Pan

move to AK at lunch time
Tiffins at lunch - ADR
Lion King
ITTBAG
Safari
Flame Tree BBQ

Evening TBD

Thursday, Nov 24 Thanksgiving

Epcot early morning
Test Track
Ellen's Energy adventure
Mexico boat ride

move to DHS lunchtime
Frozen sing a long
Toy Story
Little mermaid

move to O'Hana's Thanksgiving dinner - ADR

evening - TBD / packing

Friday, Nov 25 Departure Day (trying to get the additional day but flights not cooperating)

early morning (7:45 enter at IG, then rush to Norway)
Akershus breakfast - ADR pay as soon as arrive and eat quickly! (hope to get seated early)
FEA line by 8:45

Right after FEA go to:
Soarin'

Leave park for return home. (Boo Hoo)

This is essentially based on ADR's and based on what we want to do. WE are doing all theme parks at least 2 half days.

We prefer to have FP+ booked for the afternoons and then try early in another park before crowds build.

Hope it won't be too bad for crowds!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter