Tennis skirts and workout attire

disneyvoice

DIS Veteran
This past weekend I noticed that a lot of women are wearing workout attire, especially tennis skirts (actual tennis skirts, not just very short skirts) in the theme parks. They looked really cute - they didn't look like they had just run 10 miles or something LOL!! Very put together, etc but not something I have ever considered before. Is this something new because it was literally everywhere. We usually aren't there when it is really hot and it was HOT so maybe that was it?

I'm considering wearing running shorts on our trip in September. We usually go when it's cooler (November or February), so I haven't seen it before, but it makes sense to me!

I have a pair of Nike ones that have built in shorts underneath and a pair from Lululemon. I have some shorts with the same thing. They are fantastic because its easy to move in, it wicks the sweat away and dries faster after say splash mountain or KRR. I plan on using my workout clothes a lot on the next trip in September but not so much for working out.

<--- Floridian here. I happen to be a runner, so I have a metric ton of running clothes and wear them pretty much all summer down here: lightweight, quick-drying material is where it's at when temps soar and the daily monsoons begin. It's what I'd be wearing even if I wasn't a runner!

And they wash and dry very quickly and with no shrinking (at least the TEK brand from Kohls that I tend to buy). I even go so far as to wear a sports bra (not one I'd wear to workout, but ones a little looser) so I can just throw it all in the wash and I use my good bras for the times we have an attire change for dinner out, etc.

We seen that trend for the past several years on warm days at WDW. I actually wore a tennis skirt on our last trips to WDW and DL. It was the longer straight version (well longer on me since I am short), and it was great! It looked cute in photos, and it was cool and dried fast if it got wet on rides etc. You just reminded me, I need to go look for another one or two of those! I'm not a sporty person, and I just happened to run across it at a discount store and tried it on (thinking it was a skirt and not realizing it had shorts under it and was a tennis skirt until I put it on), and liked it.

That will pretty much be my entire wardrobe in July in WDW (and the whole summer, really.) I love shopping the racks at TJ Maxx for athletic clothes.

Me too! But we are going in August. I will be doing sports bras, loose fitted workout shirts (I will be ordering some Disney themed ones on Etsy) and capri workout pants.

I workout daily so I have a lot of workout clothes already. I love Old Navy workout pants/capris.

Actually, workout clothes are about the only thing I own, lol! I almost always end up going to the gym at some point during the day, so it just makes sense to go ahead and put that on first thing in the morning. Over the years, that has become my "normal" clothes. I do own a couple pairs of jeans, but only wear them occasionally if I want to dress up a little. And I would never wear them at WDW, too hot and bulky! I see people wearing all sorts of things there, I guess it never occurred to me that wearing workout clothes would be weird...

Me too! But we are going in August. I will be doing sports bras, loose fitted workout shirts (I will be ordering some Disney themed ones on Etsy) and capri workout pants.

I workout daily so I have a lot of workout clothes already. I love Old Navy workout pants/capris.

I wore a new pair of running shorts on my run today and thought 'these will be great for Disney!' :D

This is mostly what I wore and it was so comfortable! No worries about chafing, no embarrassing sweat marks and I felt like I actually looked cute. And then runners also totally worked with my outfit since I need reasonable support for shoes for that kind of walking.

All of these options fit right in for "wearing loose-fitting comfortable clothes" to beat the heat!

I have been seriously thinking about taking my running capris and trying them out in the parks. The only problem is that they are all black, so not sure if that would negate the cooling benefits of the material.

those skort types are generally all I wear when I go in September. add a cute tank top and its comfortable but as you said looks more put together (even though there is zero effort!)

This past weekend I noticed that a lot of women are wearing workout attire, especially tennis skirts (actual tennis skirts, not just very short skirts) in the theme parks. They looked really cute - they didn't look like they had just run 10 miles or something LOL!! Very put together, etc but not something I have ever considered before. Is this something new because it was literally everywhere. We usually aren't there when it is really hot and it was HOT so maybe that was it?

Very likely they were wearing Sparkle Skirts. They are very popular with RunDisney groups and people wear them in the parks as well. They have lovely pockets that hold all sorts of stuff so no need to bring in an extra bag for stuff like a wallet or phone. People post their SparkleSkirt pictures in the parks on Facebook all the time.

I am coming from Myrtle Beach in Sept and plan on tank tops and skorts, I think it will be cooler.

It's pretty much all I wear and it's great. I wear yoga capris more though because there's no chafing problems whatsoever and I generally think they look better than shorts. I never thought of wearing tennis skirts though! All I have are black and white so I guess I'd just wear black because I wouldn't trust myself in a park all day wearing white.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter