• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Telling the kids

Dawnlight

DIS Veteran
My mother is treating our family to our Disney vacation in December, and it'll be the first time for the kids (ages 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 9). The only kid that knows about the trip so far is my oldest, and that was only because he'll be junior in High School, and we had to plan around schooling needs. We'd originally thought of going in the fall, but he was very concerned about missing too much time off of school, so we decided on winter break instead.

I'd thought about surprising the other kids instead of telling them. I was going to wait until the very last day, have everything packed, let them think they had to get ready for school, then just drive to the airport instead. The logistics of that seem daunting (packing for 5 kids on the sly, letting schools and teachers know they'd be absent without them spilling the beans, etc).

My mother thinks that part of the fun of a trip like this is the anticipation and planning, and the kids would miss out on a special part of the memories by only knowing at the last minute.

We're starting to think about telling them at Thanksgiving when she'll be here visiting. I was thinking about getting Disney gift cards for all the kids, putting them in envelopes, sitting them all down and having grandma tell them she's got important news, and that she's not very good at it, so they'll have to open their envelopes and read the news. In the meantime, I'll pull out a Disney count-down chain, so when they realize what the GC are for, they can count the number of days on the chain to see how soon we'll be going.

We'll be staying at ASMo and I'll be getting the movies Mighty Ducks and Love Bug for them to watch on Thanksgiving too (we don't know yet where we''ll be, but do know they are standard rooms, not preferred)

Does this sound like an okay plan? I'd love to hear input from families who either waited until the last minute to surprise their kids or prepared them in advance, and how they made the announcement special.

youtube.com/watch?v=4HRQv6R-1kI

Reminds me of that. :P

I might recommend telling the older kids and having them keep the secret if you can, that way they can help you surprise the younger ones and you won't have to try to do it all yourself!

That sounds similar to what we did. I wanted to surprise them but also let the anticipation of the trip build, so we surprised them a couple months before. It is working out great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter