• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me your favorite things to do in Key West

Darn. Came to this thread far too late. Heck, I'm even one post behind another Tar Heel fan.

As someone who loves the place, here's my take.

1) Stay in a house (preferably in Old Town), rather than a hotel if you can swing it. You'll better appreciate the culture of the Conch Republic.
2) Spend the money and get out to Ft. Jefferson/Dry Tortugas National Park. It's a bucket list sort of thing.
3) While you can stop at Sloppy Joe's (a popular tourist trap), be sure to get a drink at Capt. Tony's the original site of Sloppy Joe's in Key West. (Capt. Tony's is still a dive like Hemingway might have frequented.)
4) The tour at Ft. Zachary Taylor is as good/better than any historical tour with a ranger I've ever taken.
5) Pepper's of Key West is my favorite hot sauce shop on the planet. Be sure to leave your extra beer with them when you leave the island.
6) Assuming you follow Tip #1, you'll want to stop in at Eaton Street Seafood Market to get some catch of the day for your grill. (You can also get a great grouper sandwich right there!)
7) Get the rest of your groceries at Fausto's. (Now you're practically a local.)
8) Eat at Blue Heaven! (The owner is formerly chef at the Carolina Inn in Chapel Hill, NC.)
9) If you want to take a charter for snorkeling or kayak, I recommend Danger Charters.
10) If you have a car, drive north for at least half a day at Bahia Honda Beach.
11) Eat breakfast at Schooner Wharf. (It's scary but trust me.) Get a bloody mary or three.
12) If you like to drink and are ok with exploring the less-known haunts, look into getting a Key West Bar Card. Two for one drinks!
13) B.O.'s Fish Wagon (or Pepe's, which is nearby, which I probably prefer these days).
14) Music at Bull & Whistle. (Go upstairs to the Garden of Eden if you're braver than me.)
15) Kermit's Key Lime Pie (ignore the rest).

Last edited:
Where do you all like to stay? We like to be wihin a few blocks of bars & good restaurants. Suggestions?

Great tip on Latitudes. We'll definitely try that.
I have been to Key West 4 times and have only stayed in one room. Master Suite #1 at the Curry Mansion. It is just off Duval on Caroline Street. They have a decent complimentary breakfast every morning although the temptation is to go to one of the many wonderful restaurants nearby. They also have a complimentary Happy Hour every evening from 5-7. Beer, wine and top shelf liquors all set out for you to pour your own. Cuban Coffee Queen is great, and be sure to ask for the card that gets you one free coffee after 6. They don't really advertise it.

We have stayed at the Best Western Hibiscus, The Reach, The Westin (which is now the Margaritaville Resort), and now we rent a townhome in Truman Annex. That works out well for us and is very close to everything. Many people love the bed and breakfasts as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll map them.

We love Bed & Breakfasts in some situations, but we'd need to feel comfortable that they'd be okay with us coming in at 1:00 - 2:00 am. Most B&Bs that we've stayed in are locked up by then. Maybe, KW B&Bs are more relaxed. :confused3 We'd want to make sure we wouldn't be upsetting the Innkeeper & other guests, before staying in one of those.

Darn. Came to this thread far too late. Heck, I'm even one post behind another Tar Heel fan.

1) Stay in a house (preferably in Old Town), rather than a hotel if you can swing it. You'll better appreciate the culture of the Conch Republic.
2) Spend the money and get out to Ft. Jefferson/Dry Tortugas National Park. It's a bucket list sort of thing.
3) While you can stop at Sloppy Joe's (a popular tourist trap), be sure to get a drink at Capt. Tony's the original site of Sloppy Joe's in Key West. (Capt. Tony's is still a dive like Hemingway might have frequented.)
4) The tour at Ft. Zachary Taylor is as good/better than any historical tour with a ranger I've ever taken.
5) Pepper's of Key West is my favorite hot sauce shop on the planet. Be sure to leave your extra beer with them when you leave the island.
6) Assuming you follow Top #1, you'll want to stop in at Eaton Street Seafood Market for your grill. (You can also get a great grouper sandwich right there!)
7) Get the rest of your groceries at Fausto's. (Now you're practically a local.)
8) Eat at Blue Heaven! (The owner is formerly chef at the Carolina Inn in Chapel Hill, NC.)
9) If you want to take a charter for snorkeling or kayak, I recommend Danger Charters.
10) If you have a car, drive north for at least half a day at Bahia Honda Beach.
11) Eat breakfast at Schooner Wharf. (It's scary but trust me.) Get a bloody mary or three.
12) If you like to drink and are ok with exploring the less-known haunts, look into getting a Key West Bar Card. Two for one drinks!
13) B.O.'s Fish Wagon (or Pepe's, which is nearby, which I probably prefer these days).
14) Music at Bull & Whistle. (Go upstairs to the Garden of Eden if you're braver than me.)
You know your stuff! To the OP and anyone interested, there is a Key West forum on Tripadvisor that is a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll map them.

We love Bed & Breakfasts in some situations, but we'd need to feel comfortable that they'd be okay with us coming in at 1:00 - 2:00 am. Most B&Bs that we've stayed in are locked up by then. Maybe, KW B&Bs are more relaxed. :confused3 We'd want to make sure we wouldn't be upsetting the Innkeeper & other guests, before staying in one of those.

Ha. Don't worry. B&B's are WELL aware of "Key West Hours". And for a lot of them down there they even have separate exterior doors so it's more like a motel and then you just meet for breakfast.

I will second staying in a house in Old Town. We rented a condo in Truman Annex and it was wonderful. Close to Fort Zach beach and the downtown.

6) Assuming you follow Tip #1, you'll want to stop in at Eaton Street Seafood Market to get some catch of the day for your grill. (You can also get a great grouper sandwich right there!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter