Tell me about December

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
Had to rebook from this week to Dec because of Covid. We've been in late Aug for the past several years for free dining, so never during Dec. It will be day after Xmas thru New Year's weekend. How do things differ then? Might the parks actually have less attendance than right now due to blackout periods on certain passes plus the reservation limitations? What is the weather normally like? Thanks!

Had to rebook from this week to Dec because of Covid. We've been in late Aug for the past several years for free dining, so never during Dec. It will be day after Xmas thru New Year's weekend. How do things differ then? Might the parks actually have less attendance than right now due to blackout periods on certain passes plus the reservation limitations? What is the weather normally like? Thanks!
In a normal year, that’s probably the most crowded week in the parks all year. In COVID times, who knows. Will Florida still be on quarantine lists and travelers from other states won’t be able to come? Who knows. APs will still max out their buckets for each park everyday that week I’d assume. I would assume it’ll be crowded, but the level of the crowd is the question.

As doe weather, December in Florida is spectacular. Comfortable temps most of the month, although us Floridians start breaking out the sweatshirts and hats when the temps drop below 72°.

We are there that week every year. Pre-pandemic it was the largest crowds of the year... who know this year. The weather can be shorts and T-shirts or there can be ice on the boat docks.

It is a great time to be at Disney. If you can stay on-site that will be a big advantage as you will be able to resort hop (in hopes the Christmas decorations are as impressive as always).

With no fast passes expect standby lines to be long and wait times to be longer than they are now.

Hope for some fireworks by then as they are special on the 30th and the 31st.

Last edited:
I second Gehrig 1B's take on the weather. We went 2 years in a row with our then college-student son; the first time he wore shorts on Christmas day (high 75 degrees), the next year I had to shell out major funds to buy him a hat and gloves on New Year's Eve (44 degrees at 11pm). We pack jeans, T-shirts, hoodies, and a parka.

We are there that week every year. Pre-pandemic it was the largest crowds of the year... who know this year. The weather can be shorts and T-shirts or there can be ice on the boat docks.

It is a great time to be at Disney. If you can stay on-site that will be a big advantage as you will be able to resort hop (in hopes the Christmas decorations are as impressive as always).

With no fast passes expect standby lines to be long and wait times to be longer than they are now.

Hope for some fireworks by then as they are special on the 30th and the 31st.
Just remember, there’s no guarantee of park hopping being available by that time.

Id imagine if you were gonna try to be there on the holiday, this would be the year to try.

December was the best month we ever went... the weather was amazing. Family back at home loved the pics we took at the water park

The weather is great (not too hot) but variable. I pack heavier clothes (and gloves) in my park bag for evenings. Light layers work well. It can get chilly and damp at night.

Pre-pandemic it was the largest crowds of the year... who know this year. The weather can be shorts and T-shirts or there can be ice on the boat docks.
Super crowded but fun. You could never guess on the weather, but always cooler than September/October.
I would guess the week after Christmas will be busier than the parks have been so far, but far below normal levels.
If you want to go that week, this is probably the year to do it, even with the attractions that are closed.

Pre Covid between Christmas and New Years was the most crowded time of the year. Wall to wall insanity.
My guess? More people than right now but nowhere near normal. But unfortunately nowhere near normal as far as thecelebratory atmosphere goes either.

We've been to WDW twice in Dec (2nd week of the month) and this year are going the week after Thanksgiving. In a normal year the week between Xmas and NYE can NOT be compared to other weeks in December if you are wanting info on crowds and park experiences. But for weather, decorations, and atmosphere for Christmas....the parks/hotels can't be beat a this time of year. But I'm one of those people that you couldn't pay me money to go to WDW in the summer due to the heat combined with crowds (using normal operations as a gauge). Maybe some day will go in late Oct to check out the Halloween decorations some year.

We love going the week between Christmas and New Years:santa:🎉.. Not only is the weather incredible but the decorations in the parks and festivities out way the crowds.

If you plan wisely making your fast passes and dining you should be ok. Weve gone in July a couple of times and i swore never again.Although we did have October and the last week in August booked this year. So now were going back~~ hopefully this December with parades and fireworkspixiedust:

We've often gone in December. Not that late in the month but close, even as late as the 24th. Later on it's nice as they do the MVMCP stuff on the regular schedule. Of course that probably won't happen now. It's usually really crowded. Of course this year it wouldn't be anywhere near as much, but probably as much as they'll allow. Weather can be all around the place. Last year on our MK day we had sun, rain, heat and cold all in 1 day. Our AK day was rainy. I remember it being really cold a few times in years past. Be prepared for anything

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter