• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teens (with little kids hearts) in the park

You have nothing to worry about, as others have said. From the time my kids were toddlers first meeting characters to know that they're "grown" we have had wonderful interactions, including DH and I. This past trip was the four of us plus their girlfriends (so the "kids" were 21, 21, turned 18 while there, and about to turn 17). The first park day we did CP to celebrate DS's 18th birthday. He wanted to surprise his GF so she had no idea we were meeting Pooh and friends- and Pooh is her favorite character. She about started crying when she realized that meeting the characters was part of breakfast! All of us got hugs and stuff with the characters, older DS's GF had a book she had them sign, and Pooh even "commented" on GF's magic band that was decorated with Pooh and on DS's birthday button.
IMG_2953 - Copy.JPG IMG_2954 - Copy.JPG IMG_2956 - Copy.JPG IMG_2957 - Copy.JPG IMG_2969 - Copy.JPG IMG_2971 - Copy.JPG IMG_2982 - Copy.JPG

As far as pin trading goes, the CM's will trade with anyone who asks. We REALLY got into pin trading this trip- I swear the kids were stalking cast members, asking for pin boards in every attraction, shop, resort, etc. we visited, and talking to everyone in lines near us with a lanyard. It's really fun no matter what age.

I know your DS isn't an adult but I have to say we have had some of the most entertaining interactions with the characters as adults without kids.
One of the recent and entertaining was at Bon Voyage breakfast where Flynn sat down and acted like he and DH had been hanging out at the Snuggly Duckling the night before, joking about shutting the place down and being tired. He was reminding DH that he wasn't allowed to tell Rapunzel what they did. Rapunzel was in on it because of course, it was the first thing she asked when they got to the table.

Thanks all. I thought I had read that CM mostly traded with younger kids, so glad to know that won't be an issue. I'll keep the late morning CP as well.
I really HOPE NOT (about not trading) , because I told DH about this thread right now and he wen´t to the kitchen and found A BOUNCH of pins he had collected over the years.
He was SO PROUD... and told me loud and clear that we wanted to trade some more when we go to Disney in November.
I only have ONE pin + a lanyard so I better start collecting.

I know your DS isn't an adult but I have to say we have had some of the most entertaining interactions with the characters as adults without kids.
No doubt-I think the Characters enjoy the opportunity to interact with adult Guests very much!:)

It gives them an opportunity for a "different" kind of interaction than they have with children.:)

I just took my 14 year old son who looks like a 17 year old last August. He pin traded all week and the cast members were happy to trade with him. We had some awesome interactions with the cast members all week. We also did a character meal, and the characters interacted with him just as much as they would with smaller children. It was an awesome trip. You have nothing to worry about.

He'll be surrounded by people paying $100/day to wear mouse ears. You have nothing to worry about.
:rotfl:
Good Point, mom2rtk!!

OP - if anyone passes judgement (which won't be a CM), it's their own problem. Have fun & ignore any (highly unlikely) negativity!
WDW is my 14 & 17 yo DSs choice for a fall break trip this year - 15 days to go!! And mine are big kids, too. They love every minute of being there!

I think the thing to keep in mind is to make the most out of every moment of your trip. Everyone is there to have fun and just do what you and your DS feel comfortable doing. My 15yod gets so embarrassed how excited the adults in our party get for the characters. I have had some deep and meaningful one way conversations with Donald :) Deep down we are all kids at heart and Disney truly lets us embrace the magic of childhood. Have a great time!

It gives them an opportunity for a "different" kind of interaction than they have with children.:)

I think this is true. We don’t do much character interaction anymore, but when the kids were little I remember several characters who enjoyed interacting with the adults in our party. It seemed that they were having fun doing more teasing than they probably would with the kids. We have a great photo of Goofy tickling my husband.

OP- You have nothing to fear about characters not wanting to interact with teens or adults. Our best character interaction ever was when my oldest was about 16/17. We stayed at a Disney resort for two days and only went to MVMCP. The only thing on her list was to meet Merida. We lined up as the fireworks were ending and when Merida came out, she walked right up to DD, grabbed her by the hand and they skipped all the way through her castle area. When they got to the intersection spot they talked and laughed and DD was in complete awe.

I think every other person waiting to meet her was a child (including my two elementary aged kids standing right up front with DD). I would have assumed a little kid would have been given preference to be the “line-leader”, and I think that made DD even more elated by the whole interaction.

Haha, I'm 21 and I had a great time meeting characters. XD I was such a dork meeting Tigger but I don't care it was so much fun. My sister (who's 14) was the same way, she even got autographs from everyone. And you don't have to worry about other people's judgement, I'm sure a lot of them are the same way.
So, yeah, it'll be fine, no one really cares about what people's ages are. Just have fun. :)

I have a grand time meeting characters! It's totally one of those "you get out what you put in" experiences. Met Joy and Sadness, sang "Put on a Happy Face" to Sadness and I almost had her leave the greeting area to go out in the parks and have some fun with me. So much fun!

One of my favorite memories from our April trip is DS15 (who could easily pass for older) giving DS11 a piggy-back ride in the CP Friendship Parade pooh: ! CP breakfast was DS15's request- he really wanted see piglet. He also pin traded :-)

Wishing you a fun trip!!

I have to agree with everyone on here. My 49 yo DH wears a goofy hat with ears at WDW and it’s NORMAL!!! We took DS GF 18 last year for a first trip and she was very into pin trading and meeting characters so DS 19 joined in. They had a blast!!! I will say the interactions are different for older teens then toddlers/ younger children. I can’t really expalin. My kids love the experience just as much, but in a different way than they did when they were 5. The characters feed off the kid and will interact appropriately. As far as the pin trading goes.... I am not a fan...... the cast members don’t seem very enthused about it no matter what age you are. My kids ( I have them all ages) love doing it( again not for value, just what they like) but it doesn’t seem to matter what age you are, the Cast members will trade without a thought of your age. Have fun on your trip. As the kids grow, the trips change, but that’s not always a bad thing. They learn to appreciate the small things and what they considered the “boring rides” become beloved rides.
Mom of 4 kids at heart ❤️

Thank you all for your reasurances. Last year was a tough on w/ DS, so I may be a little overly concerned when it comes to him getting his feelings hurt.

Thank you all for your reasurances. Last year was a tough on w/ DS, so I may be a little overly concerned when it comes to him getting his feelings hurt.

I completely understand where you are coming from! You can't help worrying, and wanting to protect them and make things better.

I've felt the same way about several of our trips with our own son. Leading up to one trip, he had a number of health scares (including having to get tested at the heart institute the day before we were due to fly out) and the only thing I wanted on that trip was for the boy to be able to put all the stress and illness behind him and get a well-deserved break from it all. And he did! That was a really special trip.

Another time, he'd been working so hard in middle school (compensating for a learning disability) that he'd started breaking out in actual rashes due to anxiety. I worried I'd make things worse if I pulled him out for a Disney trip, but the special education teacher said he needed a vacation more than he needed class time. And again, all our problems just seemed to melt away, soon as we arrived at Disney. At the end of the week he went back, refreshed and ready to try again. And his grades didn't suffer for it, either.

I think sometimes we all just need a chance to get away to our happy places. :)

(Oh, and my boy is all grown up now, living on his own, attending university and employed, and he says someday he'd like to take his girlfriend to Disney. Even so, I still worry about him - and his big sister - sometimes! :laughing:)

Have a few more pics of teenagers at the Crystal Palace! (Dec 2011)

FHJQuBp.jpg

qK6Mxcl.jpg

LOL! I read the title and thought this was going to be about teens wearing horrifying costumes to the Halloween parties.

As so many have stated already you can set aside worry. My daughters (25 and 18) had a great time with characters. They had a very nice vist with Merida and she shared a great story with them.

While not totally relevant I completely embarrassed my son at the Disneyland Halloween party last year. I am a huge Frozen and Elsa fan and seeing that there was no line for the Anna and Elsa meet and greet I had meet them. He declined and took pictures. Anna and Elsa were very pleasant.

When I see teens enjoying Disney it makes me Smile :) don't worry just enjoy!

As for pins, the only thing I have ever read about CM's and trading is if/when they have a green lanyard, this is reserved for kids but I am not sure what ages. Honestly I haven't even seen a green lanyard in ages though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter