TEENS & WDW

momofboyz3

DIS Veteran
Happy Holidays! I have a trip planned in April, everything is set & paid for & now I'm having some doubts & thinking of switching to late June.
~ I am looking for some tips specifically from parents of Teens. Our trip is 8 nights. My boys are: 16, 16 & 13. I'm planning one or two WP days. Two character breakfasts (for photo opps) I'm reading a lot of trip reports from families of younger ones. But, how do you all with older kids tour??? Just looking for some other ideas. Thanks!

Do you really think your teenage boys are going to want to do character meals?
Well they LOVE food!!!! They also will NOT wait in line for a photo. We went 4 yrs ago and my son who is the QB for his HS FB team and class VP used his photo with Pluto for his award ceremony in front of his whole school. His twin brother has the photo of him with Mickey framed next to him in the boxing ring winning his first fight. Sooooo I think they will be ok. It's actually my 13yr old that I'm not sure about ;)

Teens can surprise you! :)

This is my normally very chill and sarcastic son celebrating his 14th birthday with us at the Crystal Palace, several years ago. We even have pictures of him playing pat-a-cake with Pooh bear! (Future blackmail material... ;))

jHD7giI.jpg

Disney brings out the child in all of us. Even the ones you least expect.

The one suggestion I'd have is to allow them the opportunity to head off on their own, especially if you're staying onsite (they can easily get around on the Disney busses). They'll appreciate the independence!

Depending when in April (I know Easter is end of March this year) versus late June is going to be a difference in FL weather. And the crowds. Personally I would stick with April & miss the 1st week of practices. What if baseball runs longer in June for playoffs or schedule changes...will they want to miss that?

And your boys may surprise you. While they may not love the really little kiddie Fantasyland stuff (my dad will only take so much lol) they may get into the Pirates or Star Wars or coasters. I agree that if you feel they are ready & they all get along...letting them off for a few hours to explore together isn't a bad thing either as long as they are responsible about it & follow your guidelines.

What are the boys feelings on whether it is April or June? I know my DD17 would freak out about missing any track practices, so we go in June.

Our touring hasn't changed drastically from when they were little (I just have girls though). They still don't mind getting up for rope drop almost every day, like to meet any characters- but they will skip long character lines unless it's someone new/important, and they don't feel any need to split off on their own. DD14 will now ride every ride (except TOT but that's unanimous within our family), so no one needs to sit out with her anymore.

Are you going to let them tour without you? Separate parks? Same park but maybe different experiences? We split up a bit and the kids go off and ride things like Evereset while we go get a cup of coffee and a snack. We make it very clear where we will be and where and when we expect them to be there. Back at the resort we let them go to the pool or grab a bite to eat (they are always hungry) while we nap and shower. For our upcoming trip my kids have two options - RD with me, or come a bit later with DH. It is all of our vacation and if I'm an early bird I'm not dragging my sleepy teens out of bed but if they want to ride RnR multiple times they need to drag themselves out of bed! We eat dinner as a family and everyone knows where to be and when for that. Also - if I have any particular opinions on their clothes - i.e we're going to eat at Le Cellier and I want nice pictures of the family in the gardens or we're eating at 50's Prime Time - just be clean and neat :)

One of my favorite trips to WDW was my senior year of high school. I would second Lisa in letting them explore a little on their own (it is a family vacation after all) but getting to make my own decisions and ride in the single passenger line was a highlight. I would also suggest character meals with traditional characters, although a QB with disney princesses may not be a bad photo either. Lastly, I would plan to stay as late as possible. As a teen late night Disney was always a bit better because it people with really kids were gone and it just felt cooler.

I think a character meal is a great idea for teens. I have 3 teens who enjoy doing everything at the World. The only changes we have made over the years is not taking out autograph books for character meet and greets and riding the bigger rides more often. We usually take advantage of the Disney Visa meet and greet at Epcot for the free photo. We have a 9 year old also, and sometimes the older ones have fun watching her experience the magic. The only times the kids ask to go off on their own is to ride RRC or SM while I take the younger one to do something else. Otherwise, they have no complaints staying together. It's like they actually enjoy family time! Haha!

First off, I would check with the boys re the baseball. My DS16 would be very upset if he had to miss the beginning of baseball practice (as would his coaches) and it could have a negative effect on his season. Our last family Disney trip was over Christmas vacation last year because it was literally the only time when nobody had an activity we had to work around.

My boys were 19 and 15 on our last trip (DD was 11).
Food - eating is, hands down, their favorite thing to do at WDW; buffets and family style meals were especially popular and they ate a frightening amount of food; they don't mind character meals at all, as long as they can eat, they are happy. We went to Crystal Palace (DD's request) and they were great. Some of their favorites: 'Ohana, Biergarten, Hoop Dee Doo ( I HIGHLY recommend this with teens; they will actually laugh/ smile!)

Photos- If you get the photopass or whatever it is called these days, you will get all the ride photos. This was a great perk with kids that love to ride the big rides. Even if you don't stop for many extra pictures, you may end up with more photos then you think just from the ride photos.

Touring - We generally stick together, but have no problems splitting up if the need arises. Teens like to sleep, but mine are full aware of the benefits of rope drop. So, they do get up willingly for rope drop/ EMH etc.. but we usually schedule in a couple sleep in days as well. On those days we like to take advantage of parks that have later hours. If you do decide to split up, just remember that the 13 year old isn't old enough to enter the parks alone. Otherwise, there are no restrictions for your group.

Magic Bands - decide if you want your teens to have charging privileges and be clear about what they can use the bands for. (They will need to know the pin #) My kids were allowed to charge back to the room/ access our dining plan and this was great as they could get their own food etc... without an adult.

Fun for you: If you can manage it, I recommend some princess meet 'n' greets. The princesses can be very funny with teenaged boys. Drizella tried to steal DS16 for her own, Ariel wouldn't take the photo until he was sitting right next to her, Merida was quite indignant with him wanting to know if he was trying to marry her etc... lots of funny moments. Actually, most meets with teenaged boys can be a lot of fun if you can convince them to try it.

Just curious, what resort have you booked? My boys definitely will stay anywhere, but definitely have their favorites. Favorite value: Sports; Moderate: Coronado Springs; Deluxe: Animal Kingdom Lodge
At the bottom of their list: Port Orleans French Quarter and Grand Floridian

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

But, how do you all with older kids tour???

fantastically is my answer. it's absolutely brilliant. DD is 16 and we do things faster, more efficiently, and it's all around easier than when she was little. last time DD was tired/grumpy so we left her in the room and went off to have a great evening at magic kingdom without her. she made the runs to the food court in the a.m. for mug refills. she wanted to ride something twice instead of moving on, so we left her and met up later. we still do a couple meet n greets if the mood strikes us. we still do character dining. sometimes we even still go "home" for a nap. it's just very freeing to be able to let them move about on their own as well. only downside of taking older kids to wdw is issues with school schedules since pulling her out for a few days is a total no go.

First off, I would check with the boys re the baseball. My DS16 would be very upset if he had to miss the beginning of baseball practice (as would his coaches) and it could have a negative effect on his season. Our last family Disney trip was over Christmas vacation last year because it was literally the only time when nobody had an activity we had to work around.

My boys were 19 and 15 on our last trip (DD was 11).
Food - eating is, hands down, their favorite thing to do at WDW; buffets and family style meals were especially popular and they ate a frightening amount of food; they don't mind character meals at all, as long as they can eat, they are happy. We went to Crystal Palace (DD's request) and they were great. Some of their favorites: 'Ohana, Biergarten, Hoop Dee Doo ( I HIGHLY recommend this with teens; they will actually laugh/ smile!)

Photos- If you get the photopass or whatever it is called these days, you will get all the ride photos. This was a great perk with kids that love to ride the big rides. Even if you don't stop for many extra pictures, you may end up with more photos then you think just from the ride photos.

Touring - We generally stick together, but have no problems splitting up if the need arises. Teens like to sleep, but mine are full aware of the benefits of rope drop. So, they do get up willingly for rope drop/ EMH etc.. but we usually schedule in a couple sleep in days as well. On those days we like to take advantage of parks that have later hours. If you do decide to split up, just remember that the 13 year old isn't old enough to enter the parks alone. Otherwise, there are no restrictions for your group.

Magic Bands - decide if you want your teens to have charging privileges and be clear about what they can use the bands for. (They will need to know the pin #) My kids were allowed to charge back to the room/ access our dining plan and this was great as they could get their own food etc... without an adult.

Fun for you: If you can manage it, I recommend some princess meet 'n' greets. The princesses can be very funny with teenaged boys. Drizella tried to steal DS16 for her own, Ariel wouldn't take the photo until he was sitting right next to her, Merida was quite indignant with him wanting to know if he was trying to marry her etc... lots of funny moments. Actually, most meets with teenaged boys can be a lot of fun if you can convince them to try it.

Just curious, what resort have you booked? My boys definitely will stay anywhere, but definitely have their favorites. Favorite value: Sports; Moderate: Coronado Springs; Deluxe: Animal Kingdom Lodge
At the bottom of their list: Port Orleans French Quarter and Grand Floridian

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

~ Thanks so much for the response! We have booked POR but I'm thinking of switching it, not sure.
We did HDDR and it was fantastic for the boys you are right! I never saw them laugh so much gosh esp with all the attention one of them got.
You def got me considering a meet and greet but I doubt they will be up for it.
Thank you again for the great reply!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!! I appreciate the thoughtful input and suggestions :) love hearing from other parents of teens & hear what you all do! I actually think they will want to stick together for the most part. But, will be willing to give them the option for a few hours. Even around the resort for pool time.
I can't wait!!! Thanks again everyone!

Happy Holidays! I have a trip planned in April, everything is set & paid for & now I'm having some doubts & thinking of switching to late June.
~ I am looking for some tips specifically from parents of Teens. Our trip is 8 nights. My boys are: 16, 16 & 13. I'm planning one or two WP days. Two character breakfasts (for photo opps) I'm reading a lot of trip reports from families of younger ones. But, how do you all with older kids tour??? Just looking for some other ideas. Thanks!
I am 17. You can read my trip reports or my teen articles in my signature.

I would stick with April, if possible, for the lower crowds. I like the warmer weather of June but I like lower crowds even more.

I have teen dd's and they LOVE, LOVE, LOVE WDW...character meals and all...! They even wear their 'ears' some of the time, get autographs and they pin trade. Just like us grown-ups who turn into little kids when at the World, my teens do the same. We all tour together as y teens have never wanted to go off on their own.

I would stick with April, if possible, for the lower crowds. I like the warmer weather of June but I like lower crowds even more.

I have teen dd's and they LOVE, LOVE, LOVE WDW...character meals and all...! They even wear their 'ears' some of the time, get autographs and they pin trade. Just like us grown-ups who turn into little kids when at the World, my teens do the same. We all tour together as y teens have never wanted to go off on their own.
That's awesome! I'm hoping mine want to stick with me as well :)
We LOVE the hot weather. Is April still hot enough to swim??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter