Teens and Payment Methods

samara

Mouseketeer
Hi! I’m hoping someone can give me some guidance on the most sensible way to handle this...for the first time in a really long time, we’re staying somewhat off property at the Dolphin. We will be taking our older teen son and his best friend. On our most recent trips when the kids toured by themselves, they just charged meals to the room. Mostly counter service or snacks and they never abused this ability. Obviously on this trip that won’t be an option, and I am a little unsure how to handle it. We will be eating at least one meal a day all together on most days, probably either breakfast or dinner. I could just put money in my son’s bank account, or give them cash, or some sort of pre-paid card but I see risks with each method. I would really love to hear what worked best for others In this situation! I really appreciate any advice!

Disney gift cards are great. And now they can even be used for mobile ordering, which is the go-to method now for eating at quick service.

You can register the card on the gift card website, and if one is misplaced, go online and transfer the balance to another card.

Seriously one of the best things I've ever done is sign my kids up for Greenlight debit cards. They both used their Greenlights extensively on our most recent trip!!!

Does this have a fee associated with it?

Not that I can think of, no. If there was an initial set-up fee, it was negligible. There is no fee to move money from me to one of the kids (or from the kids back to me when necessary!), and I am alerted each time one of the kids uses their debit card. It’s seriously awesome.

My kids have been authorized users on my credit cards since they started driving and would need to put gas in my cars. Some card issuers have a 13 year old age limit, some 16, some 18, some have no minimum required age.

My kids have been like yours and have never abused the credit cards, using them just for what has been previously agreed are necessary expenses.

It is an excellent way to help your kids build a credit history. The Visa I added them to back reports all the history of the card so each kid has a longer credit history then their age. The Amex I added them to only started reporting once they were added.

At least get them their own bank account and their own debit card. You say "older" teen. He/She will need that for college.
I would further recommend getting them their own credit card on your account. You'll end up doing this at some point, later. Better now while they are under your roof. Let them learn to be financially responsible while you can monitor. They will need to build this credit to get their own card later.

I have a 26 and 23 year old. They have had their own bank account and debit cards since they turned 16 and had their first real jobs. BUT, they were not able to get their own credit cards, even though both are college grads with full-time jobs. I am now the primary on both accounts. They are both financially responsible, but I didn't realized how difficult it would be for them to get their own cards...no credit history with debit cards alone.

I would further recommend getting them their own credit card on your account. You'll end up doing this at some point, later. Better now while they are under your roof. Let them learn to be financially responsible while you can monitor. They will need to build this credit to get their own card later.
You've already received good advice on the trip, but I think this poster is exactly right for your son's long-term financial good.
One of the best things my mother ever did for me: the summer before my senior year in high school she took me to the bank and helped me open a checking account. During my senior year she supervised me as I used that account for my needs, and she made sure that each month I reconciled my account with my statement. As a result, I went away to college with more practical experience than most of my fellow freshmen (most of whom paid for their books with a "starter check book" so new it wasn't even printed.

Today's details have changed, of course. Debit or credit cards are more useful than check books, but the concept is still 100% valid.

You've already received good advice on the trip, but I think this poster is exactly right for your son's long-term financial good.
One of the best things my mother ever did for me: the summer before my senior year in high school she took me to the bank and helped me open a checking account. During my senior year she supervised me as I used that account for my needs, and she made sure that each month I reconciled my account with my statement. As a result, I went away to college with more practical experience than most of my fellow freshmen (most of whom paid for their books with a "starter check book" so new it wasn't even printed.

Today's details have changed, of course. Debit or credit cards are more useful than check books, but the concept is still 100% valid.
My kids had savings accounts with debit cards since 14 (just an ATM card), and got checking accounts with debit cards at 17. None of my 5 have checkbooks.

Not that I can think of, no. If there was an initial set-up fee, it was negligible. There is no fee to move money from me to one of the kids (or from the kids back to me when necessary!), and I am alerted each time one of the kids uses their debit card. It’s seriously awesome.
Thanks, I looked it up right after I asked and its $5/month.

As an adult, I use Disney gift cards for a park visit. Bought with a Target card, they are 5% off. Sam’s Club, about 4% (and whatever your credit card rebate is).

I buy a few cards and consolidate. I leave a card with no balance (from consolidation) in the room as a backup in case of loss. Keep the card number of the card you’re using in case it gets lost.

Building credit is a great plan, but if you don’t have time or inclination to begin that process, gift cards are easy to use. They can be used for Mobile Ordering, just require typing in the GC number (or pasting it from phone’s notes).

Hi! I’m hoping someone can give me some guidance on the most sensible way to handle this...for the first time in a really long time, we’re staying somewhat off property at the Dolphin. We will be taking our older teen son and his best friend. On our most recent trips when the kids toured by themselves, they just charged meals to the room. Mostly counter service or snacks and they never abused this ability. Obviously on this trip that won’t be an option, and I am a little unsure how to handle it. We will be eating at least one meal a day all together on most days, probably either breakfast or dinner. I could just put money in my son’s bank account, or give them cash, or some sort of pre-paid card but I see risks with each method. I would really love to hear what worked best for others In this situation! I really appreciate any advice!
We do cash. We think doing cash transactions really helps them see what things cost, and how much is spent during the day etc., how to budget. It’s an accelerated learning experience being at Disney 😂.

Thanks, I looked it up right after I asked and its $5/month.

Capital One has free kids & teen accounts, and debit cards with the teen (13 up) account. You might need an adult account to set it up and transfer money, but that’s free too, and you can connect that account to your normal bank as needed.

Hmmm, I wonder if I’m on a legacy plan or something? I definitely do not get charged monthly!
I looked up their reviews on FB and it looks like they've taken a recent downturn on customer service as well. Too bad, seems like a neat idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter