Teasing towards those on ECV's

laurainsem

DIS Veteran
So I will be using a scooter on this upcoming trip for the very first time. It has taken a lot of coaxing from others to get me to this point but I live with so much pain and WDW will only exacerbate it. I was watching some youtube videos of the parks, like I do most nights, lol, and heard somebody yell in the background towards a person on an ECV, "look, another guy on a fatmobile". My heart sank for this poor person and then immediately turned selfishly towards myself. I'm only 36 and it is already taking a toll on my pride to consider using one. I am a bit overweight and could just imagine the stares and judgmental comments. What have your experiences been? Please be honest, is it that bad? I know my dear friends (more like family) will stick up for me but it still stings. It is hard enough living in agony everyday and having people judging me for being on disability. I am a pretty strong person but I've got feelings too. Most things role off my back but after having my health go down even further the last two years some things sting more s I'm not super secure with where I'm at.

I travel with my boyfriend, he uses a power wheelchair, I am very overweight and walk all over WDW. Sometimes we gets looks or comments. Please do not let this ruin your trip. What you have to remember is you would be in much worse pain if you did not rent the ECV. WDW is huge and you need to do what you can to help manage your pain. Another thing to remember is these people will NEVER see you again so who cares what they think. They must not be doing Disney right if they have time to judge other people. Walt Disney World is beautiful, fun, and amazing.

Focus on your friends and don't pay attention to people that don't matter.

I travel with my boyfriend, he uses a power wheelchair, I am very overweight and walk all over WDW. Sometimes we gets looks or comments. Please do not let this ruin your trip. What you have to remember is you would be in much worse pain if you did not rent the ECV. WDW is huge and you need to do what you can to help manage your pain. Another thing to remember is these people will NEVER see you again so who cares what they think. They must not be doing Disney right if they have time to judge other people. Walt Disney World is beautiful, fun, and amazing.

Focus on your friends and don't pay attention to people that don't matter.

Thank you! I really try hard to let things role off my back. I think part of my problem is using any kind of wheelchair is so new to me. I mean, I've used a chair while I was admitted to the hospital each ime, then after breaking my foot I had to use an ECV a few times in walmart. Some people were very kind while others glared and whispered. It was really obnoxious, I'm sure they just thought I was a lazy, fat. and a couch potato. If people only knew how hard we work to not be in tears most days...

i don't think i've ever heard someone say something like that.
but i will admit that i myself have judged some using ECV's.
this generally only occurs because the person has absolutely no clue how to use it not because i think they are just "fat and lazy". my thought is if you can't operate it then you need to be in a regular wheelchair having someone push it.
i'm probably more bias about this than most because i've had first hand experience with someone that should not have been operating one.
it was an old woman that ran it into the back of my foot and just kept trying to go. my foot was stuck between the foot rest and the wheel and she would not stop. i ended up screaming a few choice words while in so much pain that finally someone pulled her hand off of it.
i ended up with a foot that was bleeding and twice its size.
this judgement also occurs at the buses when it takes about 10 tries for someone to be able to center it on the ramp so that it won't tip off the side as they drive it in.
on more than one occasion a CM has asked a guest to get out of the ECV so that they may put it in manually.

if you need it and can properly operate it then use it and to heck with everyone else.
if you are going to be paranoid about what others think or say out of earshot then opt for a wheelchair instead and have someone push you because as unfair as it seems people judge others less when they are being pushed as opposed to using an ECV.

overall i think you need to suck it up though.
i'm visually impaired and have night blindness. many times you'll find me holding onto a friend or family member in the parks. i'm not super comfortable with it but i've learned that its the easiest way for me to no be separated or trip over things in the dark so i do it.
when i went solo last year i brought a flashlight and my cane that i never use in regular life.
i got some people looking me up and down as well as a CM at HS mention my flashlight handing around my neck and made fun of me for it saying "oh wow thats a lovely and large flashlight you have there"
at epcot two teen boys were walking out of the park right next to me and i don't think they even noticed my cane because it was pretty dark and i was holding it straight up and down close to my body so i wouldn't hit anyone with it. they suddenly mentioned something about needing a "blind stick" so that they could hit people to make them move and then just say "sorry i'm blind".
that made me a little more self conscious because then i was worried that they'd see my cane and start laughing but they didn't.
my point is i need to do these things in order to have a pleasant experience at the parks so i just let it go and thats what you should do.

Last edited:
My biggest complaint.... Just watch where you're going. Wife's ankles got run down once because the lady wasn't looking forward yet still in high gear.
Could have been very ugly. I have dodged a few irresponsible drivers myself.

As to why you're on one..?? That's really not my concern.

MG

Thank you guys. Disneyworld Dreamer, I'm incredibly sorry you were talked down to and made fun of for your cane. My mother only has 10% vision left at this point (she been legally blind most of her life. Just knowing what you went through infuriates me.

The few times I've used one in the store I'm very careful (I cant believe someone ran over your foot!). so Maistre Gracey and Disneyworld Dreamer, I promise I wont ram myself into other people, nor push my way ahead like some do. I really don't get why it's so hard for people. For me its kinda like drivng, if you can't handle it then stay of the road. I know they probably can't walk if their in one, whether from pain or injury, but like you said, it may be easier for everyone if that person is in a wheelchair.

I really hate the idea of using one but I've got to remember I won't survive ten days without one, plus I really shouldn't feel ashamed. I'm going to start taking more frequent and longer walks in preparation for the trip, that way maybe on good days I can leave the ECV at the resort. I love walking and having been in a boot for two months (just got out last week) I really miss the joy of walking. On the trip it will be really nice to have options.

People at Disney are usually kind & considerate. Don't let one idiot with a big mouth ruin the 100 others who will help you if you need it.

People at Disney are usually kind & considerate. Don't let one idiot with a big mouth ruin the 100 others who will help you if you need it.

That is very true. I'm sure the majority will be nice and honestly, hopefully those who do say something wait until I'm long gone from their vicinity!

Please do what is best for you and your group. I have used an ECV and a power chair since 1999. It has made the trips doable. I am very careful but be aware of the clueless pedestrian who is not looking ahead but reading a map and walking, the person trying to jump ahead of you in line and not realizing the ECV doesn't stop on a dime. I stopped apologizing but continue to smile. Let stupid comments roll off.

Please do what you need to so your vacation can be wonderful for you. Others don't know what your health problems are and shouldn't judge if you are on a scooter or not. I know you will do your best operating the scooter. Have fun and I wish you a very wonderful vacation. Hugs.

You can't control the thoughts, reactions, and yes, words of others. I would work on developing a thicker skin rather than even consider not using the mobility aid or other support that you need.

I've told this story before. I was on Main St at DL on a 24 hour day. It was very crowded and the CMs had a rope out to stop the crowds. No one had moved forward in several minutes. An obese woman in an ECV decided that there was a gap where she could get 3 feet closer to the rope and rammed her ECV forward, stopping on my foot. I yelled out from the pain, she barked at me as if there was somewhere I could go to get out of her way when she pinned me down and there was a rope being held by CMs stopping traffic. I pointed out to her that herself, her ECV and her load of crap weighed a lot and was causing me pain. She then cried and turned to her husband and told him to deal with me. She did not, however, back her ECV up off my foot. After this and being hit by another ECV that was being driven by a toddler on mommy's lap I will comment on the weight of the person who hits me with their ECV 100% of the time. Because they've just put their weight on a heavy piece of equipment and hit me with it. If all ECV drivers were responsible, operated their ECVs at a walking pace, even when there doesn't appear to be anyone around them (if they're driving above walking pace they won't stop in time if someone walks around a corner), didn't let kids sit on their laps, didn't text while driving, didn't use them like bumper cars out of frustration and if Disney actually enforced their own rules then maybe there wouldn't be so much animosity towards them. But there is, so it's something to mentally prep yourself for going in, rather than expecting people to change their attitude, when, let's be honest there are many highly visible examples of ECVs not being operated safely on a daily basis in the parks.

A word of advice and IMO only...
Im confined to a power wheelchair I have an Invacare. NOTHING pisses me off more then seeing those ECV running full throttle thru the parks. My chair goes WAY faster then those ECV and I know how to drive my chair and I have never ran it any faster then what my husband walks. (we hold hands lol so one hand is on the joystick and one hand is in his)

My line of thinking is this..if you or someone else has to run to keep up with the EVC then you are going TOO fast. You would not run thru the park so why would you run the EVC that way.

Take your time, drive it as fast as you would walk and enjoy your time at Disney. Don't worry about what anyone says (or doesn't say - for we have never had an issue) and have fun!!!

Just enjoy your vacation and don't worry about what other people think. You have every right to be there just as anybody else. Do what you need to do so that you can enjoy your vacation. As long as you stay at a walking pace and keep aware of your surroundings you will do just fine.

Last edited:
My experiences with ecvs has been pretty good. I've used one 2x at Disney. I never heard any comments and am quite large but use one do to lung/breathing problems. I have only run into 1 person and it wasn't my fault- a mother pulled her 10-12 year old right in front of me at closing time at MK when everybody was rushing to get out, although I did apologize but there was nothing I could do to avoid it. I agree that going slower is better. Both times I have been with smaller children so I went at their pace. Just practice using one before you go. The first time I had one nobody explained anything to me and we didn't know about the switch in the back to make it easier to push (it didn't come fully charged and ran out of power while touring the resort -CB) The second time I was staying at WL and the CM who brought it out from Bell Services went over everything with me.

Last edited:
My FIL used a scooter on our last trip. He is overweight. No one made a comment. I've never heard anyone make comments when I've been around ECV's at the parks.

Don't get to over sensitive or worried about it. If you fixate about possibly hearing a comment you are putting out that negative energy and are more likely to actually hear something. Have confidence that you are doing what you need to do to enjoy your vacation, so screw anyone else who might tease you.

And you know what? Jerks are going to be jerks. They can always find something to make a rude comment about. If you spend your life worrying about what others might say you are just giving them what they want - your attention.

I've never heard anyone make a comment, but please know, there's enough loud-mouthed people (me included ;)) that would immediately address anyone who made a comment like the one mentioned in your OP. I find most people at WDW are in their own world and don't notice others all that much.

You all are absolutely right about not letting anothers opinion get to me. I would NEVER go full throttle with it, especially when the rest of my group will be walking. I know people will always judge, and hopefully I don't hear any of it. If I do I know my crew will stick up for me. It will probably feel weird using one at first though I'm sure I will get used to it pretty quickly.

I've not had a problem at all my last two trips when I used the ECV. I was there in the very thick Easter crowds and found it easy to maneuver - as easy as walking in those crowds is. One reason I rented from Buena Vista is that someone noted they liked the way the hand controls worked on their scooters and it is true - it is very easy to control the speed and I did feel like I could stop very quickly if someone stepped or stopped in front of me. I really wouldn't worry about other people...in the sense that someone is going to make you miserable there. I agree with people who say no one is really paying that much attention to you...they're more concerned with themselves and their own family and so on...lol!

There are the few instances where people can be jerks. For example, there was an elderly lady parked up against the curb on Main Street, she wasn't moving at all, probably waiting for her family like I was. A guy was taking pictures of the castle and was walking backwards. He of course backs right into her scooter and starts yelling at her. I come to her aid and he is going to yell at both of us until my 6'2" husband comes out of the store. Changed his mind then.:teeth: If you happen upon a jerk like this poor lady don't let it ruin your day, realize it is their issue not yours. I hope you have a magical vacation!
I feel like that's usually the kind of person who would have yelled at someone sitting on a bench that he tripped over or someone leaning against a trash can or any other object that Disney placed somewhere that hadn't moved in years. Even if you're sitting on a bench and someone trips on you and then yells at you it's easy to feel like they lashed out because you're short, or fat, or blonde or anything really. But it's probably just the crappy way they treat people. Or they're having a bad moment and don't make it your bad moment too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter