teacups

alexander09

Earning My Ears
My spouse and I both get sick on the teacup rides. But our 4 year old daughter is intent on riding.
Has anyone encountered this before? What can we do with her - besides just say "no". This is where all your dreams come true after all!

Take a motion-sickness medication in the morning before you leave for the park. That gives it plenty of time to be effective, and it will last all day.

Go ahead and ride it with her - you should be fine. And if you're not, you'll have learned what doesn't work for you.

There are other threads that review various motion sickness medications. I used Dramamine the last time. :goodvibes Worked for me!

Bonine is my motion sickness drug of choice. I think it is the same as non-drowsy Dramamine. I've also heard that closing your eyes makes it worse. Pick a focal point and keep trying to locate it as you go around. Save it for the end of the day so you can sleep it off afterwards. Good luck. I skip tea cups, but my DH is willing to do it. I do occasionally do spinning rides when I'm alone at the local park with my kids. Yuck! That's my least favorite ride. That and Mission Space Orange.

Is it possible to take her w/out spinning the teacup individually? The large platform spins, but then it's up to you as to how fast the teacup spins on it's own. Just the slower spinning of the platform may not be as bad? Of course, I'm sure you already know from experience either way. That's just the best resolution I could think of.

Actually...hehe... sometimes Alice takes a rider with her right after Fantasyland opens in the morning. It's a long shot, but it could happen ;)

If you decide to suck it up, DO NOT SPIN the center table/wheel thingy. :sick:

Just let the ride motion scramble the cups. You can exclaim "Whhheee!" if you need to distract from the non-acute spinning.

I know Teacups grounds me for hours. Sick just thinking about it.

Bonine is my motion sickness drug of choice. I think it is the same as non-drowsy Dramamine. I've also heard that closing your eyes makes it worse. Pick a focal point and keep trying to locate it as you go around. Save it for the end of the day so you can sleep it off afterwards. Good luck. I skip tea cups, but my DH is willing to do it. I do occasionally do spinning rides when I'm alone at the local park with my kids. Yuck! That's my least favorite ride. That and Mission Space Orange.

Saving it for the last ride of the day may be the best advice. I get severe motion sickness on spinny rides and it can literally ruin the day. When I was dating my wife she refused to believe it could be that bad and forced me on a rather innocuous looking spinning balloon ride. I was completely out of commission for a good 1.5-2 hours afterwards...and even after that didn't feel 100% until the following morning. She's learned not to force me on those kind of rides anymore.

Also to the OP, both your and your spouse shouldn't ride. Rock, paper, scissors with the spouse to see who the unlucky one to ride is. Take the motion sickness meds a few hours before...and make sure it's the last thing you plan to do before leaving the park. Godspeed!

OMG that ride kills us adults. I usually bite the bullet and go on that with my DD and then Daddy does the cars/speedway. The smell of the fumes always gets to me too. Worse ride ever...MISSION SPACE ORANGE

Also to the OP, both your and your spouse shouldn't ride. Rock, paper, scissors with the spouse to see who the unlucky one to ride is. QUOTE]

Use the new one, Rock, Paper, scissors, Lizard, Spock makes it harder to know what the other person will do (if you don't know it google it)
I agree the Tee cups is a hurlivator for me, I ride that and I am done for the day. When I was a young person I loved the spinny rides now they ruin me until I can sleep. Works out well my wife hates rollercoasters and I like those I hate spinning rides and she is cool with them so our DD always has somebody to ride with except Troceritop spins :sick::scared1:

good luck

They make me sick too. DD absolutely begged me to ride with her once. DH usually does it. The best thing is not to spin the wheel in the middle and not to let her spin that wheel. The cup still spins but not nearly as much. I made it through and didn't feel bad at all (and she doesn't ask anymore because I wasn't any fun as I wouldn't let her spin it. ;)) . I would say since you both get sick, just one of you ride it. That way if whoever rides it does get sick the other one can take your 4 year old around a little bit while you sit and recover. I will also say that DH and DD were riding it once and a mother came and deposited her small child with them in their cup and then walked out before the ride started. They were very surprised as she didn't even ask them if she could- just sat her child down in the cup with them, told the child to be good and left! CMs didn't seem to notice or care since there was an adult in the ride vehicle. DH and DD didn't care- they were just surprised that she didn't even ask if her child could ride with them because Mom couldn't handle the ride- they would have said yes. I don't think I would feel comfortable asking a stranger if my child could ride with them or letting my child ride with a stranger- especially when she was that small, but I guess asking someone with a kid her age if they would mind if she rode with them because you can't take the ride might be an option.

Although I never got sick it used to make me insanely dizzy. I mean stumbling seeing double dizzy. I then tried staring down at the wheel in the middle and not anywhere else. That alleviated most of the dizziness. My daughter loves to spin the cup like crazy too.

If you decide to suck it up, DO NOT SPIN the center table/wheel thingy. :sick:

Just let the ride motion scramble the cups. You can exclaim "Whhheee!" if you need to distract from the non-acute spinning.

I know Teacups grounds me for hours. Sick just thinking about it.

That's the best advice. You could explain to your daughter that Mom and Dad had a not so nice experience years earlier (don't be specific) and say that you would love to go on it with her but if she could not spin the wheel, that would be great and then all three of you can talk about it after. If the adults feel OK, then do it again with her spinning the wheel (it's a heavy wheel so at four years old, she might not be able to do anything) and then see how everything goes.

I really think with a four year old, it's not the fast spinning that has her excited, it's the chance to ride in a teacup.

IF I ride...I do not spin the middle wheel in the teacup and I focus completely on my DD or DS's sweet little face and I do not look at anything else. It seems to help me. Good luck!:thumbsup2

I bit the bullet and rode with my kids when we went. I was so surprised that I wasn't affected any more than just feeling a little off balance for the rest of the evening. Don't let her spin the wheel.

I would never take medicine I wasn't used to taking because so many things affect me in strange ways. I took some rx pain medicine for a kidney stone before Christmas and I was an emotional wreck.

If you really can't stand spinning (not blaming you!) and your daughter reallllly wants to go, you could consider approaching another family headed to the teacups and asking if they will let your daughter ride with them. Ask a group that doesn't already have a full teacup, like parents with one kid. I think this is kosher under Disney's rules for kids not riding alone, but please correct me if not.
I'd be willing to do it at teacups (and would say yes if asked to take someone's kid with me, if they asked nicely) because the whole queue and ride is within view.

If you really can't stand spinning (not blaming you!) and your daughter reallllly wants to go, you could consider approaching another family headed to the teacups and asking if they will let your daughter ride with them. Ask a group that doesn't already have a full teacup, like parents with one kid. I think this is kosher under Disney's rules for kids not riding alone, but please correct me if not.
I'd be willing to do it at teacups (and would say yes if asked to take someone's kid with me, if they asked nicely) because the whole queue and ride is within view.

This happened to us a few years ago. I was taking my grand daughter on the tea cups and just as we approached the ride, was approached by a mom who asked if we'd mind her daughter riding with us, as she just could not handle the tea cups. My grand daughter was about 8 y/o and the other little girl was around 6 y/o. We told the mom we'd be happy for the company, but planned on spinning the cups as fast as we could. She assured us her daughter would be fine and she was. We had her sit between us, so she wouldn't be close to the door and she giggled and squealed right along with my grand daughter the whole time.:rotfl: When we got off, the mom told us how much she appreciated us letting the little girl ride with us and told us that she got a little ill just watching us spin that fast.:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter