• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Target card question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I do have Kroger nearby but my Amex only gets me 3% back on supermarkets. I also have a Red Card. Can I do this...

Let's say I need to buy $6k in Disney cards to finish off my cruise. Can I use my Amex to buy $5,700 worth of Target gift cards when it's 4x fuel points, and then use the Target gift cards in conjunction with my Red Card to buy $6k worth of Disney cards, and then put those on my DVA and pay off the cruise from there?

By my math that would be a $171 statement credit from Amex, 22 $1 off fill up credits for Kroger and another $0.80, and then $120 in Disney gift cards to pay for stuff I was already going to buy while on the cruise. If we assume my biggest vehicle holds 18 gallons, that's $410 in free gas. So total savings of $300 + $171 + $120 + $410 = $1,001.

Please let me know if you see a hole in this before I go down this path...

I've heard of this happening but have never tried it myself. I think it can only be done in store and you have to pay a portion of the total with your red card first and then pay the remaining with gift cards. I believe there is also a limit on the number of gift cards you can buy in a single transaction. I've also heard of individuals having online accounts suspended for too much gift card buying online. Not sure if something like this happens in store with them being billed to your red card.

Another question - how does this work if you have a TA that you booked through?

Your TA can process gift cards or a Disney Vacation Account # as payment. Pro tip would be to consolidate gift cards (up to $1000) so you're reading 5 x $1000 ones instead of 100 x $50 ones if you go that route (although before that was an option folks still did it, they just settled in! :rotfl2:

You can also buy Target gift cards online at different card clearinghouses at a discount and then turn around and use those with the Red Card. I have start this week and have bought some Target cards at 5% off and then turned around and bought the Disney Card at Target for another 5% off. Also my credit card gives 2% cash back so when I buy the Target cards I use that credit card. 12% off the cruise I can't complain. It is sometimes a little hard to get the 5% Target cards, I am using what I feel is a pretty reputable company but you do have to be careful with these gift card sites. There are plenty of sites out there where you can get the 5% off cards but I am just a little nervous about using some of them.

You can also buy Target gift cards online at different card clearinghouses at a discount and then turn around and use those with the Red Card. I have start this week and have bought some Target cards at 5% off and then turned around and bought the Disney Card at Target for another 5% off. Also my credit card gives 2% cash back so when I buy the Target cards I use that credit card. 12% off the cruise I can't complain. It is sometimes a little hard to get the 5% Target cards, I am using what I feel is a pretty reputable company but you do have to be careful with these gift card sites. There are plenty of sites out there where you can get the 5% off cards but I am just a little nervous about using some of them.

If you (in the general sense - not specifically Michael2013) look at the main thread on the Budget Board, you will see that gift cards purchased from those third-hand sites have led to Target shut downs, as well as some receiving cards that either have a zero balance or are later drained - even after having been loaded onto the purchaser's Target account. In addition, folks have been banned from Target altogether for purchasing a large number of gift cards within a short span of time.
If you are new to this, it is best to proceed cautiously - and really read and learn from that thread.

If you (in the general sense - not specifically Michael2013) look at the main thread on the Budget Board, you will see that gift cards purchased from those third-hand sites have led to Target shut downs, as well as some receiving cards that either have a zero balance or are later drained - even after having been loaded onto the purchaser's Target account. In addition, folks have been banned from Target altogether for purchasing a large number of gift cards within a short span of time.
If you are new to this, it is best to proceed cautiously - and really read and learn from that thread.

thank you for the insight. I don't think I have ever been to the Budget board. thank you

Why would they ban you, is there some policy that is being broken by purchasing a certain number of gift cards?

Alert guys - as of today there have been reports that you can no longer stack discounts in this fashion. Target will no longer allow you to buy Disney gift cards with Target gift cards. I am going to lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter