Talk to me about the Treehouses, or Poly Bungalows or 2 bedrooms anywhere

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
We are planning my DGS 2nd birthday, it is a ways off Jan. 2017, but never to early to start budgeting and making a rough draft. This will be his first trip so we really want it to be special. The cast will be DH and I, DD and DSIL , and the birthday boy.

DH and I are AP holders, and Florida Residents - DD and DSIL are Florida Residents. We are thinking on 4 nights. We do not tour commando style. Naptime is important, and DGS like to spread out when sleeping, so we might need to think about proximity to the resort.

We want somewhere everyone can spread out, really so that a busy 2 year old can run around a bit. DD and I talked about a family suite and that would not work out, we need much more privacy for each of us. We talked about separate rooms at a mod. like POR... But then DD and I got to thinking maybe we could do something a little special for his 1st trip. DD and DSIL will need to save for this trip. DH and I might surprise them with us paying for the resort portion of the trip, but again this is all just a rough draft.

I like the look of the Treehouses they look private and seem spacious, and the bungalows are just over the top, the 2 bedrooms I have looked but nothing really speaks to me really. I guess once we sorta decided on where, then I can figure out on renting points, or if a Fl. Resident rate or AP holder rate thru Disney would be better.

What are you thoughts?

We really enjoy the 2 bedroom villas at AKV and BLT, with AKV being our favorite. It's farther out than the rest, but we don't mind, and I love the theming. My daughter is a huge animal nut (as am I) and we can't beat the scenery there.

The AKV 2-bedrooms (particularly at Kidani village) are really well made. If you get a dedicated, you can have a huge balcony for running around, and there are three bathrooms. I've never actually stayed in one, but they were our choice for our next trip! They're more affordable than most other 2-bedrooms, too, especially if you rent points.

You really need to decide on location and go from there. The BLT is convenient because you can walk to the MK. If being close to the MK is important the VGF is another option. The Poly Bungalows are great but they are a little small and it can be difficult to rent enough points to get an entire stay on one reservation. The VWL are slightly farther from the park but are another great option in that area. In the Epcot/DHS area both the BC and BW villas are great options and the BC units are due for a refurb next year. The AKV is a great option for that area. The Treehouses, SS and OKW are also great options if you don't mind being secluded. OKW has the most size for the cost.

So start with location and go from there. If you want a little more privacy a 2BR lock-off villa might be what you are looking for.

We've just booked a 2 bedroom villa at the Boardwalk to celebrate my niece's 5th birthday next spring. Me, Grandma, my sister and BIL, the birthday girl and her little brother. We booked the same room type about 10 years ago when it was just us 4 adults. ..the space is great, so we weren't on top of each other, nice to have the kitchen for breakfast and late night snacks. We love the Epcot resorts for the location, easy walk to Epcot and DHS...2 less parks to worry about buses, for early morning breakfast ADRs or midday breaks.

We've stayed in almost all of the DVC 2-bedrooms, with the exception of the Bungalows (haven't been back since they've opened!) and Treehouses. Obviously the Treehouses look great and book up really quickly. They sure beat the 2 bedroom/grand villa at SSR. The GFV book up super quickly as well. Those look awesome and the quality and craftsmanship really shines through. Can't wait to book one of those if we go during an offseason time. In terms of value, AKV is our fave hands down. We're doing Kidani this time around, but in the past usually stay at Jambo House (love being in the main building, esp at Christmas time). The Epcot resorts - BCV and BWV - are fine. Love the location and the theming. They're a little older but the location and theme are very unique. I think BCV edge out slightly over BWV for us, but both are fine and unique in their own ways. Contemporary's villas seem to be a little tight for us. Not sure why. It's definitely not as spacious as AKV.

For you - it depends on what you want. If you're looking for more of a remote/private vaca, then AKV and Treehouses would be perfect - plenty of space for everyone to spread out and do their own thing. If you're thinking of babysitting/covering for your SIL and DS, then an Epcot location would be best b/c there's so much to do in walking distance (walk to Epcot or DHS or enjoy the boardwalk). Same goes with BLT - you can walk to the monorail station or MK. Lots of great restaurant options on the monorail and even in the Contemporary Resort. I really don't know if you'd find the Polynesian Bungalows or DGF Villas a good value for your grandson at such a young age. I think these are great when the kid can especially remember and enjoy MK... But hey if money is no object, then thes two locations can't be beat & they're brand new!

We will be going back to a 2BR at OKW in January of 2017. We have stayed in many resorts, but loved all the room at OKW, not to mention the quiet break from the parks and DTD. Had the best deck to enjoy morning coffee/evening drinks. The main pool is a hoot (although most of the pools at WDW would impress a 2YO birthday boy!).

We stayed in the THV 2 years ago for my DD's 1st trip when she was 2 and we loved them! They were very private, there was a quiet pool right next to ours, and it was so spacious. It was me, DH, DD, DFIL, and my mom. We got the 3 bedroom and it was the perfect amount of space. My DFIL took 1 room, we took another, and DD wanted to bunk with Oma so they got the master. We ordered some groceries so most breakfasts would be in the villa, making it easy for everyone (wanted to take advantage of the kitchen) and it was really nice that we had our own washer and dryer too! I would highly recommend them! My mom is a DVC member so she used her points to get it for us which was super nice of her. :)

We stayed in the Bungalows as it was a magical Poly upgrade from the Villa we had. We do not rent points but we pay cash.

There are two bedrooms - one is a master with a king bed and gorgeous bath (whirlpool tub and shower). The other is a queen bedroom with a stitch murphy bed (twin sized). The living room has a queen pull out couch, and as well as an "Electrical Light Parade" themed pull down murphy bed - it looked bigger to me, about the size of a full. You can easily fit in 8-9 people. The 9th person would need to be a smaller child though.

You get a full kitchen - lots of storage and cooking tools, full stove, microwave, fridge and freezer, dishwasher. Seating in the dining room for 8.

You also get a washer / dryer as well as another full bathroom. High chair, playpen / sleeper in the storage area.

The porch has hanging baskets to sit in, lounge seating to lay out, as well as a table and chairs. It also has a smaller plunge pool. We watched Wishes out there, and it was a better view than California Grill. Music is piped into the back porch. There is a surround sound audio system, as well as SEVERAL very large TVs... huge in the living room, a tiny bit smaller (but still huge) in the master and second bedroom. We are talking covering the span of most of the wall.

I liked it, but it is my understanding (from looking at the point book) that these Bungalows cost a lot (I was quoted over $2500 for the nights we were bumped) and then the point value is very high. I don't think they care comparable to in point or cash cost to the Treehouses or others (such as Kidani). We have stayed Club Level at AKL in a 1 bedroom Christmas week and loved it.

I would look at the cost and your budget first. The Bungalows are absolutely amazing - it is nothing, to me, comparable to where we have stayed in the past. My husband said we could have just planned a whole vacation around the Bungalow and the new amenities at the Poly (the new volcano pool, for example).

If you want a Villa (studios), that may be a different story. They are nice too and we have stayed there. That new hotel smell (and new house smell, for the Bungalows) is an amazing smell thing... I took a big sniff each time we walked in! They are so new... it is just great.

But start with budget and your cash / point availability. To me, $2,500 a night is a lot, and that can go higher per the Poly staff (what they told me). Point value is different based upon season. So look at that and move forward. :-)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter