Talk to me about lyft in the orlando area.

Accident

DIS Veteran
I'm just fed up with uber. Prices for rides are double what they were 5 months ago. I'm constantly getting horrible drivers, dirty and need repair cars, people who are on vacation and decided they would drive for uber to help pay for it while they are in the area and I need to teach them how to get into resorts and past parking lot attendants without a parking fee... Mears is suddenly equal if not cheaper in price.

I'm not unfamiliar with Lyft, but I have no experience using it in the orlando area. Has anyone used lyft going around the orlando area?? Anything that stands out vs uber when using them?

Thanks,

Sorry but i'm not reading 45 pages of what is mostly uber that dates back several years.. Let's talk specifically about lyft and recent accounts of lyft as uber isn't the same as it was 5 months ago and that thread probably needs to be closed and restarted. they have dramatically changed in service worldwide this year.. the basics are the same but the service is not.

Sorry but i'm not reading 45 pages of what is mostly uber that dates back several years.. Let's talk specifically about lyft and recent accounts of lyft as uber isn't the same as it was 5 months ago and that thread probably needs to be closed and restarted. they have dramatically changed in service worldwide this year.. the basics are the same but the service is not.
Disagree totally. That thread if very useful, updated regularly and discusses both Lyft and Uber. It does not need to be closed. Everything you need is in the first post
We use both on every trip and honestly, other than the app I use, there are no differences in the service I receive.
Vast majority of the drivers we get have both Uber and Lyft signs in their cars.
In all our trips (and we use it a lot on our trips) I've never gotten a driver that was there on vacation and just working to pay for their trip.

Thinking back, a vacation planning forum was probably not the best place to ask this as it's specific to changes in the area that an occasional user wouldn't even notice. NYC, for example, is a very different uber than down here.

that thread has a good start on the first post and do agree for someone that just needs how to use these services info, it's there.. this is something different and I reached out elsewhere with others that also go back and forth on which they use..

I'm just fed up with uber. Prices for rides are double what they were 5 months ago. I'm constantly getting horrible drivers, dirty and need repair cars, people who are on vacation and decided they would drive for uber to help pay for it while they are in the area and I need to teach them how to get into resorts and past parking lot attendants without a parking fee... Mears is suddenly equal if not cheaper in price.

I'm not unfamiliar with Lyft, but I have no experience using it in the orlando area. Has anyone used lyft going around the orlando area?? Anything that stands out vs uber when using them?

Thanks,
That' an interesting observation. Everything I see from Uber driver websites is that fares have gone down and as a result, so have their earnings.

I have gravitated towards Lyft because I can schedule a pickup now and I can also tip right in the app. However, I've had less than pleasurable experiences with both apps. It's just luck of the draw it seems.

That' an interesting observation. Everything I see from Uber driver websites is that fares have gone down and as a result, so have their earnings.

I have gravitated towards Lyft because I can schedule a pickup now and I can also tip right in the app. However, I've had less than pleasurable experiences with both apps. It's just luck of the draw it seems.

Does lyft at least bill correctly? l I'm hating taking what was $12 round trip ubers back in july that are now $24 round trip and then 50% of the time uber showing $12-15 non-surge on the screen but my card is charged $29 for the trip. There is so many I might actually need to bank dispute it as they aren't really caring.

I have never had Lyft charge anything different than what I approved via the app.
I too use them most often due to the tip function but we still have used Uber some, if we have cash on us. Last time was Oct and they charged correctly. In November we used Lyft only
I wouldn't be pleased with being charged something different than I approved.

I have used Uber at LEAST 50 times all over the country...and at least 10 of those at WDW...AND NEVER have I been overcharged...and its always been at least 1/2 of the normal taxi rate....and I've ridden in everything from a big SUV to a small compact newer model...it doesn't matter to me personally...I'm just going a few miles...as a matter of fact 2 years ago I took Uber from Univ. of Central Florida campus back to POR and the driver had a brand new Nissan mini van...well as we were getting off the exit into POR...some idiot cast member plowed into the rear end of the van as we were going 45 MPH! So after having to wait for the police to show up...the Uber driver kept apologizing to me...I told him it wasn't his fault no big deal...I felt equally bad over his new van...but after I finally got dropped off at POR....I got a text message from Uber about 2hrs later apologizing for the delay/accident...saying that my trip was free! It would have been about $45ish!...So sorry OP that ur having bad luck with Uber but for me personally. I can't say enuff good things about them! LOVE THEM!!

Uber rates have not gone up, BUT ... Uber recently switched to a pre-determined fare model, where they quote you an exact price when you request the ride, instead of calculating it at the end of the ride based on actual time & mileage traveled. The fare is supposed to be based on Uber's evaluation of traffic conditions at the time you request the ride, but it's been alleged that they may be adding a little bit to cover themselves in case conditions worsen; hence the perceived increase.

Uber rates have not gone up, BUT ... Uber recently switched to a pre-determined fare model, where they quote you an exact price when you request the ride, instead of calculating it at the end of the ride based on actual time & mileage traveled. The fare is supposed to be based on Uber's evaluation of traffic conditions at the time you request the ride, but it's been alleged that they may be adding a little bit to cover themselves in case conditions worsen; hence the perceived increase.

I can follow that logic as their software loves to show you that you'll be traveling on 192 or i4 in a parking lot when the driver can use a different gps that knows if you just take 1 specific backroad that you avoid all that mess. However their price will never be lower than they showed you on the screen so it's not just perceived, $7 trips, taking a $7 route are being charged $12 because that's what they showed you on the screen.

The over billing is recent and to @markb681 I'm closer to 1000 rides majority in nyc but not limited to there. $15 rides, being quoted $15 are coming out $28+ on my card. They also recently changed credit processing companies as they do a double rate preauth of the card before the driver but do a second additional charge instead of finalizing the price for the actual fare and days later the initial $26 comes off. this might be where the double charge is if they are trying to fix that and it's not going well. I don't mind that the system might be a little off or a billing issue or they need to tweak the gps route picker, it's the runaround I'm getting trying to have someone say we're sorry, that was an error and we're refunding the difference that is my breaking point.

Since I posted this I took lyft a few times, better prices, faster arrival to pick me up, so far great drivers who know the area in clean well maintained cars. I won't say that I will never use uber again but I'm happy to have decided to jut not deal with uber assuming the more popular service is the better one. I"m sure there will be times I might go back and forth but saving money is saving money and lyft is it for me right now.

Someone who rarely uses these services may not even notice the changes, but I use them frequently for both personal and work and it's not minor problems right now, there is some issue and they are impossible to deal with.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter