• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking the Castles By Storm: A Summer TR (Finished 10/30)

coloredimage

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

So, this is a bit of a curious little Trip Report, especially if you hadn't read my PTR. But before the breakdown let me introduce myself to those of you who don't know me!

IMG_1098_zps7cbdb282.jpg

This is me, Elle, you're MC for the duration of this Trip Report, eating one of my top five favorite snacks in Disney - lefse. This picture's from last summer's August trip. There was, sadly, no lefse for me on this trip.

I'm 27, and am such a huge Disney nerd that all the students in my 7th grade ELA classes love to pull Disney and Marvel trivia to see if they'll catch me up. My favorite Disney Princess is a toss up between Aurora and Tiana, my favorite Disney character is Daisy Duck (which, if you follow me on twitter or instagram, is pretty obvious), my favorite ride is a tie between Star Tours and Pirates, and after lefse my favorite Disney snacks are Dole Whips and LeFou's Brew. I use "so" as a conjunction way more than I should and I use exclamation points like they're going out of style. Fair warning :)

So, about this crazy TR. Well....to make a long story short:
I had asked my aunt to go to Disney with me, which in hindsight, well....but she hadn't agreed, so my best friend Jey and I started planning a trip to California, to Disneyland. Around the same time my aunt agreed to go to WDW with me, on the condition that it was an aunt/niece trip. It was originally scheduled in June, so when my aunt had to move the trip I had already paid for my share of a condo on the beach with my friends. So I went from having three vacations spread out in June, July, and August, I suddenly had 3 vacations one right after the other in a 4 week span.

Confusing? Yeah, try living it!

The rundown became this:
July 18-25: condo on the beach in Myrtle Beach, SC (driving there and back again)
July 27-31: WDW with my aunt
August 9-14: DL for the 60th with Jey and her mother

So, since I talked about all three trips in my PTR I will be doing a quick write up of the Myrtle Beach trip in the first one or two posts for those who were reading along with that and were interested in how that went, and then from then on we'll be smooth sailing in Disney goodness!

I will probably be keeping my DL trip report attached to this one instead of doing a write up in the DL section, so that I can keep my threads straight so climb aboard, explorers! We're off!

Prologue: Or, The Reason Why I Was Running on Empty All Week

Let's just take a moment to talk about the week I had had before we get into the whole Disney-ness of this Disney TR (I know, I know, sorry guys!)

So the week before I went to Florida I went to South Carolina. I drove down - well, we all drove, but we used my car - and spent Saturday to Saturday at South Sands, in a rented condo.

10724025_1434620900199786_542238096_n.jpg

Here's the whole gang, minus Avery who had taken the picture, at Palmetto Brewery in Charleston. So, as you can see, it was a pretty big crowd. It wasn't that bad though! We had two full-sized beds, a king bed, and a pull out couch, so we'd rotate out who slept where so no one was stuck sleeping on the pull out couch for more than a night.

But this was our view:
20225565772_1a5b344a0a_k.jpg

And the beach we were on didn't stink either!
20207574756_6cc5d9946f_k.jpg

We had a pretty relaxing weekend though it was hard to go places with 8 people, coordinating and such. And especially since my car was on the line my anxiety was through the roof. We did get to go to some cool places, though, like Magnolia Plantation
20207546216_1f7494e566_k.jpg

But even though we left very early on the morning of the 25, Jey and I still didn't get back to my house until 12 AM on the 26th. Her mother picked her up, since she had to work in the morning, and I went to bed. I slept pretty late for me (10 AM!) but that meant that I wasn't going to fall asleep for the flight.

Chapter One: Welcome to the Land of Cute

I got maybe an hour's sleep on the 26-27th. It was partly because I had slept so late that day and I had to go to bed too early to be up for the flight.

I was also a little nervous. For one, my aunt hadn't been to Disney since Hurricane Charlie, and she hadn't done much. She's not a rides person and I wasn't sure what she would and wouldn't like. I had planned everything to try and show her the Disney that I love, but I wasn't sure if she'd be condescending about it. For another, my aunt and I are two very different people, which you'll see as we go through this TR. I don't like talking by nature; I like being inside my own head, listening to the music and enjoying the atmosphere or people watching (my all-time favorite thing in Disney) and she is someone who does not like silence at all. I'm also very organized and need a schedule while she is not that person. There are other, deeper things that I'd rather not go into, but I was starting to wonder if this was going to go well or not.

Worrying about it just made me see 3:30 a lot faster than I thought I would!

11250048_298672163636457_262609286_n.jpg

My dad is a wonderful person. He knew I didn't want to stay at my aunt's house the night before going to Florida (I wasn't 100% sure what time I'd be home on the 26th so I didn't want to commit to anything). It's not just that he had to wake up at 3:30 to bring me, but it was also amazing of him to do it because, well, we came home Friday night and he had to pick us up at 10:30 PM, drive my aunt home, drive me home, pick up my mother, and turn around and go right back out again for his own Disney vacation!

Why didn't we go together? Well, someone has to stay and take care of the cats and dogs!

Anyway, we left at about 3:50 after I had gotten the last bits of things together, then picked up my aunt. We got to Providence at about 5, which I was nervous about but apparently I was wrong about our flight time! I was going the entire time thinking we had a 6:00 AM flight (I was never told what time we departed, just what time we landed for DME purposes) but my brain was calculating how long it takes to get to Orlando from Boston, which I normally fly out of.

We got through security fairly fast even though it was a pretty backed up security line (the poor guy behind me probably missed his flight though; he heard the last call for it as we were getting to the x-ray machine). We also hit Dunkin's just after it opened so I finally got some much needed coffee and bagel.

I wasn't so excited about our flight. We were flying Southwest, as my aunt had points she wanted to get rid of, and while I agreed to fly it (as it meant one less thing I'd have to be in charge of) the last times I've flown Southwest have not been good. Most notably March 2013, back to Providence, when our 8 PM flight first changed gates with no announcement or notice, then was delayed until after midnight because they didn't get a plane for us. So I'm always pretty leery about flying them.

I can't say much about the flight. It must have been good but I completely slept through the entire thing!

We landed in Florida around 9:30 and were on a bus by 10 or so. The bus was filled with people going to a conference - Edward Jones I think? Needless to say it explained why I couldn't get into Beach Club for this week because they were all talking about how some of them had to go to Boardwalk.

It didn't take us long until we were going under that lovely purple arch!

You know, the one I took a picture of and then accidentally deleted from my phone? Yeaaaaaah, that'd be the one.

Oops!

We were the third stop, but I had already gotten our room assignment via text so we got to bypass the front desk.

20236614265_989b6f9e58_k.jpg

The last time I was at the Boardwalk - like, inside of it - I was thirteen, so it was great walking back in there knowing that I was staying there!

20048602118_6c1c22f3fe_k.jpg

20048601658_6ed5c8c7e2_k.jpg

We were in room 3232, which was actually the exact opposite of what I had requested but it turned out to be a perfect room! It was overlooking the quiet pool and from our balcony we had a great view of the upper fireworks from Illuminations - you could even hear the music if you stood on the balcony and you could hear (but not see) the Frozen fireworks.

20228382082_89c13f40ed_k.jpg

19613988914_2cd1455f89_k.jpg

20048607370_bf5825f2fc_k.jpg

I quickly changed, then waited for my aunt to change and we headed out to see what we could.

20048593068_ab4021e445_k.jpg

20048580170_182476ab89_k.jpg

20048579730_6d7031a0de_k.jpg

After snapping a few pictures we started towards our first park of the trip - any guesses where?

Following! Boardwalk looks like such a fantastic resort. Excited to hear about your trip!

joining in! Sounds like a fun-filled (emphasis on the "filled") summer! I was already interested but when I saw the picture of you and your friends at a brewery I was fully on board :thumbsup2

Glad there were not major issues this time with your flight and that you were happy with your room location even though it wasn't what you had requested.

Following! Boardwalk looks like such a fantastic resort. Excited to hear about your trip!

Boardwalk was lovely! It was nice and quiet even though there were a few weddings, a conference, and something going on with a few pageant girls it didn't feel crowded at all! Thanks for following :)

joining in! Sounds like a fun-filled (emphasis on the "filled") summer! I was already interested but when I saw the picture of you and your friends at a brewery I was fully on board :thumbsup2

Glad there were not major issues this time with your flight and that you were happy with your room location even though it wasn't what you had requested.

Haha, well I'm glad I could lure you in! Welcome! That brewery was actually very interesting (we took a sauna of a tour that had to be cut short before our tour guide passed out). It's the oldest brewery in Charleston post prohibition. I'm glad everything went fine for us too! I'm still leery of Southwest but this trip wasn't bad! Welcome :)

Chapter One: Part Two

So, we were walking to a park, but which of the two could it be I wonder?

If your guess what Hollywood Studios, you're pretty much right on the money!

20228352992_1209d256db_k.jpg

My aunt had never been to Hollywood Studios before. The last time she had been down, she and her friends had apparently gotten in later than their plans were, due to Hurricane Charlie (I think it was Charlie?) so they had 3 days instead of 4.

The walk wasn't horrible; in fact is was quite nice. I'd only done it once before, years ago, but it had also been in July and it had been so hot and humid that day that it was excruciating. This time, however, it wasn't that humid. It was definitely hot, but Central Florida seems to inexplicably be 10 degrees cooler than coastal South Carolina and I'm not going to argue about it!

It was probably 11-ish? by the time we got to the park, so the baggage area and tapstiles were a breeze to get through.

I love this structure; I always have, I don't know why.
20236611495_8499bacd42_k.jpg

Confession: I almost didn't plan on going to Hollywood Studios. I was so wishy-washy about it that even after making FP+, even while we were on DME, I was trying to think of a better plan. But when none came we went anyway.

20242405621_15ed06f087_k.jpg

I mean, it looks different without the hat - in fact, I'm kind of glad the hat's gone - but it seems a bit counter-productive when the Frozen stage is stuck there semi-permanently.

My aunt was hungry. I could take or leave eating but I brought us over to Starring Rolls. She got....something that I apparently did not make a note of, but I got a turkey sandwich with a banana and a brownie. I ate maybe a third of the sandwich and half of the brownie, but the banana was a good pick-me-up. No pictures; I forgot! My aunt got on the phone with my grandmother to tell her we were on the ground as I watched the weather....which was changing pretty dramatically. See those happy fluffy clouds in the above pictures? Yeah, in the 15 minutes it took us to eat they were no longer so happy or fluffy. I tried to get us to power walk to Toy Story, our first FP+ but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped - the sky opened up right when we were about under the monkeys. At least we didn't get too wet!

We got through the FP+ line pretty quickly, no problems, then went out. I pulled my poncho on and told my aunt she should do the same....

...except she had put both of hers in her luggage!

This is a normal flub, but I had specifically told her the day before we left to have one with her for the parks. She instead bought an umbrella and I walked us over to The Great Movie Ride. The wait was about 40 minutes but it felt like it was shorter. I'm not really loving the new narration because it takes away from the ride operators but the girl we had was making her own fun so she definitely made it a lot of fun. We got a cowboy who was really into his job, and I was glad to get the cowboy because Jey and I never got one last summer (we love the cowboy scene, and whenever we go in the spring we always get him!).

Out of GMR, the sun was barely shining and it was still kind of drizzling but it had pretty much stopped raining, which was my hope when I suggested GMR in the first place. We began to meander to the streets of America. I took this special picture for one of my friends from college who I knew would appreciate it:

20050062809_88d7709204_k.jpg

20050062359_294659f8de_k.jpg

My aunt had to use the restroom, then we went over to Muppet*Vision, which was our next FP. I was playing with my camera settings and got some decent pictures:
20242405211_48f832f054_k.jpg

20236609975_68419115c9_k.jpg

20236609175_07c0f3b0e3_k.jpg

We got in right as the doors were about to open.

And the film is digital now! I had to have my dad confirm when he went yesterday, but I'm so glad that it's finally digital and not as grimy as it had been recently. I love the Muppets and Muppet*Vision and was getting sad at how it wasn't being taken care of.

I walked over to the Muppet pseudo-dump shop and looked around, taking a couple of pictures of my favorite bits of decor:
19613956834_a74be3049e_k.jpg

20048633380_f98105be85_k.jpg

We had time to kill and I wasn't sure what to do but I heard music in the streets of America so I darted away, my aunt following.

Guess who I found?

19614012124_9e82f892b4_k.jpg

Mulch, Sweat, and Shears! We watched the end of their set, then walked past Star Tours. I lamented a bit. My aunt's a very particular person and honestly I didn't think that she'd like Toy Story. In fact, I still don't know if she liked it - her response after every ride (after everything in general) was always "it/that was cute." But she doesn't like Star Wars and she doesn't like thrill rides, so I didn't suggest Star Tours. We had an hour before our next FP and the wait was only about 30 minutes and I would have gone on by myself but, alas.

Instead we sat and got ice cream from Gertie. I got my first Mickey bar in years.
19615702203_f58e9dbf81_k.jpg

A better picture of Gertie:
20048649498_d4268d230f_k.jpg

After that we got in line for the Indy FP. I hadn't seen Indiana Jones (the stunt show, not the movies) in at least 4 years and it was the only other thing I thought my aunt would like in the Studios that deserved a 3rd FP. We were fairly close and I got a few decent pictures!

19613956214_4f474c7422_k.jpg

20048595738_03270dc0b8_k.jpg

20228347902_2f67959892_k.jpg

19615645203_2525ec7516_k.jpg

20210333956_ce86191e8f_k.jpg

They couldn't do the jump from the tower because it was too wet so it was a little shorter than normal but it was still fun. It's still not something I would say is a "definite" for me but I do enjoy it when I have the time to see it!

After that my aunt wanted to shower so we headed back to the hotel. She asked about the boat so I mentally timed us; we hit the bridge to Swan/Dolphin at the same time as the boat so we definitely made the better choice.

Oh, but before I finish - I wish I had taken a picture of this! As we hit the walk to the Boardwalk area hotels there was at least 80 ducks just chilling. They'd move as we walked on the pavement but other than that didn't move at all away from us. It was the most ducks I think I've ever seen together. I was just in shock - I didn't tell my mother about that yet; I bet when I do she'll be very upset I didn't get any pictures.

I'm so glad you've started your report!! I'm loving all of the Boardwalk pictures so far!

You know, I haven't had a Mickey bar in years either, and I almost got one this time...but still didn't. Next trip it's a must do!

You had a perfect spot for Indy, your photos turned out great!!

Great shots of Indy. These type of shows are definitely up my alley, very much looking forward to it.

I'm so glad you've started your report!! I'm loving all of the Boardwalk pictures so far!

You know, I haven't had a Mickey bar in years either, and I almost got one this time...but still didn't. Next trip it's a must do!

You had a perfect spot for Indy, your photos turned out great!!

Yay, glad you found me! It was a nice treat and since I didn't get my Dole Whip this time around (I WILL get one in DL next week or I will be a sad, sad person) so it was a nice trade off. We were only about 3 or 4 rows back so it was a great view at Indy, and I think being closer is more enjoyable.

Great shots of Indy. These type of shows are definitely up my alley, very much looking forward to it.

Welcome! Thanks :) I like Indy though I've only done it 3 times. It's a lot of fun.

Sorry! I actually meant to post this right after the last one yesterday afternoon but we had a tornado come through the other side of town so....I went out to dinner. And then I forgot to finish the chapter....oops.

Chapter One: Part Three

I left us off at our hotel, right?

So, we left our hotel room - which, I might add, was about a mile walk to the elevators! It was actually a nice stretch in the morning walking on the soft carpet - and walked down to the busses. We ended up getting there just as a Magic Kingdom bus pulled in and, after two unsuccessful stops at the Swan and Dolphin, we were on our way to the Magic Kingdom!

Except, we weren't actually going inside.

We walked close to it, then hung a right and started walking towards the Contemporary - we were eating at the California Grill!

I've never eaten there before and it was a small learning curve to find the desk but we found it pretty easily. I checked in a little earlier than I thought I could but since dinner service wasn't busy yet they checked us in with a father/son team next to us and brought us all up to the restaurant. The girl was just telling us we could wait for our pager to go off in the bar when my pager went off. Perfect timing!

There was a wedding reception going on in one corner, which was interesting to see but I couldn't watch them too much - they were on the right side of me and staring seemed awkward.

This was my view:
20210333506_32c050e8bf_k.jpg

So I was happy!

Here's a quick shot of the rest of the restaurant.
19613953114_4821236ca8_k.jpg

So, my aunt was not a fan of my taking pictures of my food. In fact she thought it was an avoidance technique or something. I actually was doing double duty - I was taking pictures for my TR but also because my mother and I have this thing where, when one of us is on vacation (especially to a place/restaurant we know the other will be going to or has gone to) we text pictures to one another and tell each other what it is, etc. We've been doing it for years. In fact, just this morning I got a lovely picture of her caramel apple French toast!

Anyway, that's the roundabout way of saying I didn't get a picture of her food at any point this week, unless it's accidentally in the back of mine. I tried to make sure I wrote down what she ate but I think about halfway through the week I probably stopped because by the time I got back to the hotel I'd have forgotten what she ate and I don't think I could have explained what a TR was without her getting annoyed with the idea of me sharing our trip with other people that "I don't know."

But! We had the Deluxe Dining Plan because I knew she'd want to eat at some fancier places, and it allowed us to have an appetizer, entree, and dessert.

For her appetizer she got the artisan romaine, which was basically a fancy salad (that's my best explanation, sorry!). The description is: roasted garlic dressing, boquerones, sun-dried tomatoes, and brioche croutons. She liked it but it was about half a head of lettuce and was too much for her to finish.

I got the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli:
20210406586_b274908f1c_k.jpg

This was a tomato-fennel broth, crispy mushrooms, tiny basil, and benzinger estate olive oil.

I thought I wouldn't like the crispy mushrooms (I'm not a mushroom person) but they were nicely toasted and tasted more like walnuts than mushrooms and really added a nice flavor. This looked huge, but it was actually a good size and curved my hunger without me being actually full.

For an entree, my aunt got the Bell and Evans Chicken (heirloom tomato and goat cheese tart, ramp pesto, English peas, lime radish, chicken demi-glaze). I think she liked it. I don't really remember her saying one way or the other but she seemed to enjoy all her food during the week so I'm guess she liked it?

I got the Bison Strip Loin:
19614025514_8b3526b4c7_k.jpg

Benzinger organic olive oil potatoes, asparagus two ways, cherrywood bacon, huckleberry veal jus.

This was really good! I ate almost all of it! It was really good asparagus, which I'm glad at because I had something else later this week that was kind of sad and small. I love asparagus so it was good to have some nice, hearty kind.

For dessert my aunt had the cheesecake, which has no description on their current menu. She liked it, I think.

I had the Chocolate Pudding Cake:
19615715753_4fa5e92db4_k.jpg

Luscious chocolate cake with nutella filling, meringue kisses, and chantilly cream.

You'll see a pattern over the week - I can't say no when something has nutella in it. I really can't. It's just too yummy. I'm a sucker for it and I'm so glad more places have gotten on board using it in stuff. I really enjoyed this, but it's very rich so if you're not a huge chocolate lover like I am then you may not like it.

We left and went down to the shops. My aunt needed the restroom so I went and took a picture of my favorite mural:
20048572020_f5d8d96215_k.jpg

We were planning on staying to see the fireworks from California Grill but we were very tired and dinner was faster than we thought it would be so we decided to head back to the hotel and call it a night.

Chapter Two: Thank Goodness for Middle School Science

Okay, so....you'll find out about that title soon :) I meant to post this yesterday, since it'll probably be the last update I get in before I leave Sunday morning but I had a wicked sore throat and stuffy nose so I decided to spend all of yesterday trying to get better instead.

Alright!

So!

We were off!

Er, sort of.

I woke up at about 7:45 on the morning of the 28th, having showered the night before. I used the bathroom and got dressed and was ready to leave by 8:15. We didn't leave for another hour. We finally left around 9:15 and got to Magic Kingdom around 9:30-9:45 (I don't have the time noted).

While I waited I got bored and started taking selfies:
20112567240_911a2fcb1c_b.jpg

I actually didn't wear the ears to the MK that day. I only wore them the very first day we were there; they're actually for Disneyland but my plan had been to take a picture in front of Beaches and Cream wearing them but I was never able to go over there and do it.

The reason why I didn't wear the ears? Well, this picture should give you a good idea:
20300571765_cc79414eaa_b.jpg

The weather couldn't decide whether it wanted to be dark and dreary or hot and humid. It was a bit hard to figure out. But once we got into the Magic Kingdom it had cleared up enough that it was nice to walk around Main Street.

I went a little picture happy so....this may just be Main Street pictures, oops!

19679590823_1a32f32e8a_b.jpg

20292176692_edb254453c_b.jpg

20292180712_a088bfdfbc_b.jpg

20274326366_a4db45c574_b.jpg

20112554280_709800d1db_b.jpg

20300582235_16f887c387_b.jpg

20274325576_612f3d5200_b.jpg

19677942524_5a404d0752_b.jpg

20112558998_f8b2a8607d_b.jpg

20274326006_a505725e91_b.jpg

20306568671_f4f69dea2d_b.jpg

I meandered around the Hub, taking some pictures, then started waking towards Peter Pan's flight, our first FP of the day. However, as we were walking my aunt stopped to get a water and asked if I wanted one. I said no, but she mentioned she wanted to get a coffee so I made a quick detour before our FP since our window wasn't even opening for another five minutes or so.

Chapter Two: Part Two

So we had made a stop for some coffee, but I was in the mood for something else - something a bit more...filling.

So I suggested we go to Sleepy Hollow. The line wasn't all that bad and by the time they opened the window on the other side I was next in line. I ended up getting a water for myself not to be contrary but because I really didn't think that anything else was going to sit right in my stomach. What did I get to eat you may ask?

20274348016_97c6f62c82_b.jpg

Nom nom nom - Fruit salad waffle sandwich! I had wanted to try this for a while but never got around to it so when the opportunity presented itself I couldn't say no. My aunt got a regular waffle with cinnamon.

This was really good! And really hard to eat! I cut it up as much as I could with the knife but it was a bit too thick for plastic wear, so I ended up eating all the fruit off of it first, then eating the waffle last. Note that this isn't a part of the dining plan as far as I could tell so it was an out of pocket treat but I can deal with that.

After that we used our FP for Peter Pan. Since we were across the way from it, once we got off, we hopped over to Small World.

Small World is one of my "secret" favorites. It's not actually a secret. I don't necessarily like the ride (not after being stuck next to the bagpipe! lol) but I love the look, love Mary Blair's style, and my phone case as well as the purse that I used for this trip are all Mary Blair/Small World patterns. My aunt had never been on it, as the last time she was there it was down, so we went on. I used it to play with my camera and I finally figured out how to get decent pictures on my new camera while things were moving:

(my favorite's the blue elephant in the India section but I hadn't figured it out yet at that point):
20112556260_b56e58f6b5_b.jpg

20306558981_30f315558a_b.jpg

20112562238_b4382fde33_b.jpg

20113956959_9f307d4641_b.jpg

By the time we got off it had started to rain again but really just sprinkling. It wasn't bad. My aunt had to use the restroom so I took pictures of the bathroom while she used it.

20113957569_7137efc380_b.jpg

20112563668_1085d4c55d_b.jpg

After that we headed over here:
20274329506_abfa94c6e6_b.jpg

But we weren't headed here yet. The line was too long and we had a FP for it that would be coming up in about a half hour anyway. I did poke into Memento Mori just to see it, since it wasn't open yet last year when I was there. I really love this sign:
20112559590_ac9b252741_b.jpg

We still had like a half hour left. So what were we to do?

Well, I chose Hall of Presidents.

No, I'm not kidding, I actually did! I don't necessarily like Hall of Presidents, but it's something I knew my aunt hadn't done and it was a nice place to sit and relax for a little bit. I have some issues with the history but it's better than the America Pavilion history that kind of...jumps a lot of things but regardless. We sat and watched it, then headed back to my mansion!

20274323376_f2afcf70b0_b.jpg

It was a weird experience. We were pretty crowded going into the stretching room. I had warned my aunt that it would become kind of a free-for-all once we got inside and she needed to stay close. I guess she held on to my purse? I'm not 100% sure but she kept up. I managed to get us right next to the door with only a family of five between it and us. I don't know if we moved faster than normal or they're just getting better at traffic control or what but the second we got out of the stretching room and into the loading room there was no huge bottleneck like there normally is. The other room was just opening as I passed their door but we got right into the queue with absolutely no problems. The only other times it was like that was at 2 AM last year and April in Disneyland Paris.

We got out and I took us the long way around, through Frontierland, to get to our lunch ADR. It was the only time I'd get to see all that much of Adventureland or Frontierland since my aunt doesn't like rollercoaster-type rides and Jungle Cruise was always too long to try.

We found the band following a dancing boy:
20274322266_0b3b03f397_b.jpg

And I took a picture of one of my favorite structures in the park:
20300574925_90753d4fcf_b.jpg

In Adventureland we caught the very beginning of the Pirate training show so we watched a little bit of it.
20306553601_df426eae89_b.jpg

My favorite face. This guy was great honestly!

We only stayed about five minutes. People started to move in front of me, blocking my view, but my eyes were really starting to sting and bother me.

By the time I had gotten to our ADR at the Plaza my eyes could barely stay open. I was sweating so much and it was so humid that my mascara and eyeliner (both of which I had used the same kind/brand last year!) had melted into my eyes, causing irritation. We got seated and I immediately ran out to the bathroom to do what every good middle school teacher teaches before they start labs - how to rinse your eyes in an emergency!

Oh, my god. It hurt so much! It hurt so much that last Saturday, the day after I got back, I was leery about using both products when I went out for lunch with friends! I'm glad I did only because it proved it was a freak accident but man it was horrible!

By the time I got back my aunt left to use the restroom for non-searing-eye-pain. the Mayor was proclaiming a family from Rhode Island was the 1000th family to come in to the Plaza.

20112583898_59acda74af_b.jpg

I came here for a very specific meal. Very. Specific.

My aunt got a salad for an appetizer, I got the tomato bisque:
20306579691_58460f157d_b.jpg

It was basically the same as the one at Beaches and Cream but it was a smaller portion which was nice.

I don't remember what my aunt got for a meal but it may have been a turkey sandwich? I got:
19679623683_bd4635b24e_b.jpg

Yum yum yum, the strawberry and chicken salad! Just what I wanted and so good, but so large, especially after the waffle a few hours ago, that I couldn't eat all of it.

I barely had room for dessert but I got:
20300603015_974d35cf80_b.jpg

A simple sundae with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge. It was nice for the hot day. As you can see, my aunt got mint chocolate chip.

All through lunch I was watching the wind change and the clouds get darker. We started walking and the rain started, so we ducked into Uptown Jewelers and just continued walking through. I spent a lot of time sending pictures to my mother of the prints I wanted from the print store, to figure out which I could get online. They asked if I was giving them Christmas ideas so I said sure, why not. :) I love Disney prints. I won't complain about those.

Since the rain wasn't stopping we decided to head out instead of wait for our final FP (I figured Festival of Fantasy would be canceled since it was starting in ten minutes and it was downpouring) so we headed back to the hotel for a break.

Quick, Real Life Update!!

I won't be updating again until the weekend at the earliest. Why?

I'm going to Disneyland!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm leaving at 6:30 tomorrow morning from Logan and heading to LAX. We'll be in the parks Mon-Thurs and coming home Friday. I'm super excited because I've never been to Disneyland before! Like usual if you want to follow along on Twitter or Instagram my handle is wildvictorian or wildvictorian_ respectively and I'll be sure to tell you all about on here :)

Hey guys, I'm back!!

I know I said that I'd be posting about Disneyland in here but I ended up with twice as many pictures and notes for Disneyland so I started a full-length TR over in the Disneyland section. If you're interested, here's the link: http://www.disboards.com/threads/oh-my-aching-tentacles-a-first-timers-tr.3439108/

But don't worry, I won't abandon this TR! A new update should be in the works either tomorrow or Monday, depending on when I finish unpacking/doing laundry/general "just got home from vacation" stuff! Thanks to those few of you who are following along :)

Chapter Two: Part Three

So we had just come back to the hotel room. I fell asleep for about forty-five minutes - exhaustion from traveling so much was settling in.

It was still raining when we left to walk over to Epcot but not much. This is my general feeling about the rain:

As you can probably tell, I wasn't 100% thrilled, but it actually cut the heat a little which was nice.

We got to Epcot in no time and we still had time before our dinner ADR so once we reached Italy we walked right on by and went to the Germany pavilion instead to poke around in the stores. I found a Mickey head ornament that looks exactly like one of the patterns my cousin's glassware business has (I took a picture but apparently it has gone rogue) and just generally explored.

My aunt did kind of ruin the moment at one point. We were in Das Teddy Bear and I had beelined over the the porcelain dolls. I love looking at them. They're the same brand that my mother's sister used to buy me for Christmas every year and I jokingly commented about how my mother's side of the family gave me a very northern European Christmas experience as a child. My aunt's response? "At least you had us to give you things you actually wanted."

Um....what?

I want to hope she didn't mean anything by it and it just came out wrong but I was very offended. She backed it up with "I just meant that your grandparents and I also got you things you liked." Okay, sure, but that's not what I was talking about. I made a light-hearted comment about something and...ugh. It just rubbed me the absolutely wrong way. My mother's family always did everything they could for me with very little means. You also have to understand: on my dad's side of the family there's just him and my aunt, who has no kids. I'm an only child, so I'm the only kid they bought for growing up. My mother has a brother and a sister - her sister has two kids (much older than me) and a grandson, while her brother has 5 kids, and those porcelain dolls are way more then my mother's sister should have spent on just me, so yeah...it hurt.

After that we headed back to Italy for dinner. I was still annoyed but tried to put it out of my mind to enjoy our dinner.

Where were we eating?

Why, Via Napoli of course!

I'd never eaten there before and my aunt loves Italian. I love pizza. It would give her a place to gush all about when she was in Italy a few years ago. It seemed perfect!

There was a small wait after we checked in, so I took a picture of this really cool lighting fixture:

I have a vague feeling that I took a picture very similar to this in Tutto Italia back in 2013 but I don't remember! I just know I really love them.

We were seated and had a very bubbly waitress introduce herself. It was her first day working there and she was really sweet. About halfway through her lead took over and she was equally sweet and a really great waitress.

I didn't take a picture but I "indulged" (aka strayed from the drinks allowed on the DDP) and got a blood orange Aqua Fresca which was a wonderful treat.

This is about when I stopped writing down what my aunt got for dinner apparently. But I thiiiiiink she got prosciutto with melon. I've had it before at Tutto Italia and Tutto Gusto so I'm sure it was good.

Me? I got:

This is the salame e provolone: dry cured sausage and imported cheese. It was simple and yummy! There was some really good olive oil on it to that gave it a nice flavor.

Since we were both planning on getting the same thing, my aunt and I just ordered a large Magherita pizza.

It was, obviously, a great pizza. And it was nice to have an Italian style pizza - around us the pizza is all Greek-style with thicker crust so it was a wonderful change from what we get up here! We definitely ate the entire thing.

For dessert I'm pretty sure my aunt just got gelato but I could not tell you what kind - chocolate maybe?

I got:

Zeppole di Caterina - ricotta cheese fritters, served with whipped cream and chocolate sauce. These were good; definitely not the best dessert I had all week but still yummy and hit the spot.

We paid and left, walking through the countries we hadn't been through yet. I was on a mission. I wanted to buy a bottle of Laila in Norway and I figured that it was the best time to get it since we'd be heading back to our hotel right after. I got my bottle after getting a little bummed out that a) I couldn't go into Kringla og Bakeri (my favorite place in the entire park) because my aunt wasn't interested, and b) Maelstrom was closed.

We continued through the countries, stopping at the little store right near Canada that sells the house goods. I mourned my inability to buy one of the Flower and Garden D&Bs they still had out (I'm so in love with the pattern it's not even funny) while my aunt bought some Christmas tea towels for her cousin who loves Christmas and Disney and always buys my aunt tea towels from wherever she goes. There were a couple of girls with a tour group in there too but they were pretty respectful. I think they may have been from Argentina. It was hard to tell because they had white shirts with pink trim and I couldn't read the group name on it. I did see them walking past chanting the next day but they weren't loud about it, it was just loud enough for their group to hear as they walked and seemed more like a way to keep everyone together than be annoying.

Anyway, we headed back to the International Gateway when Illuminations started. My aunt walked back to the bridge to watch it but I stayed at the International Gateway. I took some neat-ish pictures there though:

After she rejoined me we headed back to the hotel. I took some pictures of the Boardwalk at night because it's so pretty:

We got back to the hotel room around 9:45. I showered and went to bed to get ready for the next day.

Chapter Three: The Day of the Grump

I've been dreading writing about this day. I don't know what happened....well, I guess I do. I mean, I was just myself, and let myself be tired and fall into my normal Disney routine (which is walk around, take in the sights, be in my own little content bubble) and by the end of the day I really, really didn't want to be in Disney the next two days. I honestly didn't.
So...I'm going to try and write this chapter as fast as possible. Because reliving it isn't such a great feeling.

I woke up at 8 like I had the day before...we got out of the hotel at the same 9:15-ish time period. It's kind of shocking to me the difference in traveling with different people - it's very noticeable for me right now because I've just traveled with so many different types of people in such a close proximity to each other. I've got my lazy teacher schedule down - get up, get dressed, makeup takes the longest, and ready to go. So an average morning takes me 20 minutes to a half hour depending on if I chose an outfit the night before or not. I'm also strangely a morning person for someone who would be very happy to stay in bed and nap all day.

Anyway, moving on. This is what we call procrastination.

We walked over to Epcot. My original plan, which I had run by my aunt a few days previous, was to eat at the bakery in France (which opens at 9) and then go over to Futureworld. I had also been hoping to use the FP+ I had for Mission Space solo before we did our other two FP+.

No dice on either.

When we got to the International Gateway there was a CM standing there and from what I could hear her saying to another family that went over to her something was going on - I don't know if it was a private event or something had happened to keep the bakery closed but it didn't matter.

So: Plan B! Which is actually my normal breakfast stop since before Starbucks existed:

Sunshine Seasons!

I have had a deep love of Sunshine Seasons ever since I was a teenager and got an amazing soup with possibly the biggest piece of matzah I've ever had and even last year when Jey and I were obsessed with the fact that Disney had Starbucks (something that, if you look at my DL TR you'll see still holds very true) we still beelined for Sunshine Seasons.

I got:

iced mocha, banana, and croissant berry pudding.

I actually had a small problem with this at the register. The woman put it in as a quick service meal (which it counted as) but it wouldn't recognize it. She was flustered but very apologetic and the manager very easily overrode it once he was able to get to us but there was a problem at another register as well and he was fixing that first. I think they were having computer issues, honestly, so I wasn't upset or annoyed with them! Also it was like 9:30 so it wasn't like there was no place to sit or anything. There were tables a-plenty!

My aunt got basically the same thing. Probably hot coffee instead of iced, and probably no banana - probably a water. My brain's a bit fuzzy on the details.

By the time we were done eating I had very little time left for Mission Space so we just went to our next FP. For our first FP:

I know it seems silly to get a FP for Spaceship Earth but I did for a couple of reasons - 1: since it's the first ride most people hit I knew it'd be busy at that point and I definitely was not wrong, 2: there really wasn't anything else to use a FP for.

We went through and were blissfully not stuck in Ancient Greece (it happened to my parents 3 out of the past 4 times they've been on Spaceship Earth AND they were evacced from there 2 of those times; it's become a running joke!) and left. My aunt had to use the lav at that point which is why my picture's at a strange angle.

We went back to the Land and rode Livin' With the Land which I much tell you is honestly one of my favorite rides, silly as it is. I grew up gardening with my mother when I was a kid so I've just always loved the ideas presented there, I guess! After we got off we walked right on over to Soarin' and used our next FP. My aunt nearly didn't go on it, for fear of the unknown, but a friend had been on it before so it was okay. She loved it. I....I liked it at the time but hooboy I can't wait for the new one. I am currently enamored with the digital copy in Disneyland and don't know if I could go back to the grainy film, no matter how much I love the ride.

After that we started walking the World Showcase, since it was after 11, clockwise. I had a few minutes where my aunt was looking at the Arribas Bros. things so I started wandering around the Mexico pavilion, trying to take pictures because it's such a wonderfully themed area (I love the Mexican pavilion - the people who work there are always friendly and helpful; I could stay in there for hours). I didn't do a great job, but I think I did okay for someone who had just figured out their low-level/movement setting on a new-to-me camera the day before, maybe?

I saw my aunt waiting outside the Arribas Bros. storefront so I went over to her and we rode Rio del Tiempo or whatever it is now - the Three Caballeros ride. She hadn't been on it since before it had changed and I may have a small obsession with those three birds. I took pictures but they came out pretty horribly, and none of them are much different from the pictures I took last year, so I guess I didn't save them? Oh well.

Moving on.

We walked through the countries - though we skipped Norway :(. I guess I wasn't talking much? It was commented upon - "do you not talk to Jey when you're together?" (no, actually, I don't, I guess, coz I thought I was talking a normal amount) and "can you tell me when we're going into a store instead of just walking to it?" (I apologized for that, as I had misunderstood what she wanted to do I guess? She had told me she had wanted to go through the countries so I was just going country to country and it was so hot I was personally ducking into the AC).

This....is going to turn into a venting session, I'm sorry, guys. Like I said, this was not a good day for me.

I...was having personal issues that day. On our arrival day my aunt flat out told me she was reading my text messages over my shoulder, going so much as to comment on them and tell me that if I'm reading them in public they're not private. Which irked me. So I was being very careful about how and when I was reading my texts because I didn't really want her reading anything that wasn't for her eyes. And I was getting quite a few texts that were very personal. See, I had gotten a text from my mother the night before that my mother's sister, who is very frail and has horrendous arthritis, had somehow lost her balance and had fallen, hurting her back. My mother couldn't be with her, as they live close to 6 hours north of us, so my cousin was calling/messaging my mother the blow-by-blow of what was going on/making sure everything was up to date in their knowledge of the family medical history, and my mother was texting me, letting me know what was going on, how she was, etc. Just really private at the time, personal things going on in my mother's family that I didn't want to alert anyone else to until we had all the information.

So I kept walking away from my aunt in the stores, sometimes legitimately to look at other things since we have different tastes, and sometimes as a pretense so I could just check my phone and make sure my mum was okay. I did tell my aunt that something had happened but I didn't have any information, which was true, just so she knew there was something up, but my not sticking right with her seemed to start a conflict I wasn't aware of.

Here's a random picture of Italian masks to lighten the mood:

When we got to America I sat down inside after saying I'd like to watch the America Pavilion show. I have no idea why I wanted to as it's definitely not my cup of tea, but I just had the urge to and I figured if anyone would see it with me it'd be my aunt. So we went in, I sat down, and the Voices of Liberty came out. I stayed in my corner while my aunt went over to listen to them; I just needed to get myself organized and just relax for a few minutes, I was so tired. I honestly almost fell asleep on that floor. The only reason I didn't was because they finished with the National Anthem and I auto-zombie-moded into standing. My aunt came back gushing about the Voices of Liberty.

Guys. I have a confession.

I really dislike Voices of Liberty.

Please, feel free to throw all rotten fruits and veggies at me. I know. I have no idea why, it's just not my cup of tea. Which is weird since I really don't dislike a lot of musical things. It's possibly that they give me flashbacks of concerts in the park when I was little with singing groups trying to sound like VoL and missing the mark that just put me off of the music they sing? I don't know... I admitted that and she seemed baffled.

Anyway, up we went on the escalator. I took this picture of the flags:

And promptly nearly killed the man in front of me because just as I was lowering my camera the escalator lurched to a sudden stop! So we had to walk up the last few steps. The show was as cheesy as I remember it and I'm still not sure why I wanted to see it again but I did so that should curb that craving for a while!

Our next stop was Japan. My aunt was raving about kakigori because it's my dad's favorite snack and she just HAD to try it (she asked if we could get it all the way back before we got to Mexico.) She got just the strawberry and I got my old standby from teen years: rainbow

It was good to have in the heat. We sat and listened to the drummers and I watched a giant group of Argentinian girls walk by on some sort of mission (probably going back to the hotel and rounding them up as they went because there were chaperones on either end of the herd). It was the biggest group of them I'd seen in a while so I remember commenting about it.

Once we were done eating we went into the store. I really wanted to just slowly look through the store but as i went through the anime section I noticed that my aunt was just shadowing me. Not looking, not doing anything, just shadowing. It actually made me really uncomfortable. I don't know what she was actually doing but this? This was weird. I tested it. I didn't look at anything (actually at that point I couldn't look at anything; I hadn't even been able to pull my glasses out of my case so I was going on the hope that they hadn't suddenly changed the store on me after 16 visits of the same layout) and just kind of wound my way through the stuff, taking random turns and doubling back. I told her twice she didn't need to be right on me, that she could go look at things, and finally in the second-to-last room I stopped and flat-out asked her why she wasn't looking at anything. She told me she just happened to be looking at all the same things I was. I pointed out that she couldn't be when I wasn't even stopped and looking at anything. At that point she walked a little bit away then told me she'd wait outside for me. It was strange. I know that when I was in high school and loved all things Japan she really disapproved so I think that was some of.

See, honestly and candidly (and man I'm sorry I'm using you guys as a sounding board but at this point it's kind of cathartic), my aunt still sees me as a child. I know she does. She treats me like one. But she also really looks down on the things I like, even if she doesn't mean to. All week she kept making comments about how she'd never spend so much money on something as unnecessary as a Disney Dooney, knowing full well that I have two Disney Dooney purses, and a part of me knows she didn't mean anything by it but another part of me...I don't know.

I just enjoyed the time to collect myself. I went back to the first room and walked through slowly, calming myself down. I had a conversation with a dad and son duo who were trying to figure out why the kit-kats were green. I came out maybe ten minutes later and we continued on our way, but I just wasn't feeling it. I felt on edge and altogether uncomfortable.

I know a lot of it was me, but I'm very used to not being tethered to someone's side. That's not how Jey and I travel - heck, that's not even how my parents and I traveled, even when I was a teenager. As long as I called or - in the time before cellphones - met them at spot A in ten minutes, everything was fine.

We kind of passed through Morocco. I told her why I didn't want to go into the pavilion without going into the embarrassing story because it's not something I really wanted to explain (short, home version: back in March 2013 I, er, may have gone on an impromptu date with a CM from Morocco and I kind of avoid the pavilion even though I'm pretty positive all the men who worked there then are gone because they were all on the international program) and we ended up in France. I had originally wanted to see the movie but it was hot and we both needed to at least rinse off the sweat before we went back out for dinner, so we just looked in the shops instead. We started in the perfume shop, which I loved but I had already bought my precious Laila. My aunt was waffling over one of the perfumes because it was expensive (actually as a perfume hoarder it wasn't a bad price) and I tried to help her convince herself she wanted it. She ended up buying it, which is good because it was her only big purchase for the trip and she really did like the smell of it. I thought I took pictures while I waited for her to go back and buy it, but I must have just checked in with my mother or simply people watched because I have 0 things from France and I had 3 cameras with me so that's saying something!

We were right at the International Gateway so we walked back to the hotel. My aunt stopped at the bakery to get the second resort mug that we hadn't claimed yet (i have so many and I knew I wouldn't use it since Boardwalk's kind of a pain to use the mugs at so I told her she could have both of them) while I told her I'd meet her back in the room and trekked back to the room and the glorious shower to rinse off. Honestly I'm surprised she didn't beat me to the room, even with the small line she said she had - I was so hot and tired and lazy that I actually ended up taking the elevator from the boardwalk-level to the main floor, walked over to the main elevators, and took the main elevator up to the 3rd floor to our room.

I showered and napped a little before we were ready to go to dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter