Taking Niece and Nephew to Disney World...tips please!

bbump

Always trying to book a new trip.....
:wizard: Hubby and I decided to take our niece (9) and nephew (8) with us to DisneyWorld for 4 days this November. Our daughter will be 9 so we have a total of 3 kids arround the same age. :rolleyes:
This is going to be their Christmas and B-day gifts combined.
We are thinking of asking their parents for $50 each for spending money.
Has anyone else done this before? Please share your tips and suggestions.
Thanks much! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Certainly look around this website. Have they been before? Have you? Are you thinking on-site or off-site? I'd suggest onsite. Is this a once in a childhood opportunity? Have they seen many of the Disney characters? Is a longer trip possible?

Certainly this is a great opportunity for them. They will have a blast! Yes, their parents should provide some money, IMHO. Probably $50 is a little low, but that depends on how much you plan on paying for their expenses. Just the fact that you are willing to take them is a big gift. Think about their food costs, park tickets. You will need a release letter from their parents - giving you permission to care for them/get medical help if they need it.

I am taking my niece(4) with us for her first Disney trip, also my stepsons(14) first trip. I have been myself several times and DH doesn't care to go so it will be myself and the two kids. DS is paying $500 (he gets a BIG allowance from child support ($90/wk) plus works part time about 10 hours a week). My sister is paying the airfare for my niece (about all she can afford) and I am paying the rest. I also have the "temporary guardianship" papers for both of them since neither are "my" children.

We just did this in January -- took my two nieces (10 and 12) plus our kids (11 and 9). I did bring their insurance card plus a letter from their parents giving me permission to obtain medical care. We kept souvenir spending -- and therefore shopping time -- low at $20 each per day. I sprung for their meals, face painting, and a couple souvenir photos at the rides and a character meal. The main advice I have is to gather some park maps ahead of time and ask each child for their top 5 or so "must dos". Then arrange your days accordingly. For example, we had two who like seeing the shows and two who didn't want to see any shows, so letting everyone know the priorities and schedule ahead of time kept expectations in check. (We did one show per day and that kept the peace). Also, one of my nieces *hates* getting up early in the morning while the rest of the kids like to, so we allowed two sleep-in days for her. We're doing this again in May -- as soon as they release the EMH schedule for that month I will start planning for it. I already have their new list of "must-dos"!

What's the $50 for? Food, drinks, souveniers? We gave ours $100 for the entire week to spend as they please on souveniers. We also let them pick out one sweatshirt "from" us. $50 a day is pretty steep if it's just for shopping.

THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS SOFAR!
This will be My 3rd time at Disney World, Hubby's 2nd time, my daughter's 2nd time and the 1st time for my niece and nephew. They have never
taken a trip by plance before, so we are very excited for the trip.
:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
I was thinking $50 for each kid for their souveneers only. Maybe $100 per kid would be better?????
We are providing park tickets, food, hotel, air etc.
We are going to stay offsite, as the prices seem more reasonable. We also
want each kid to have their own mini-backpack for a waterbottle and quick snack to save some $$$ on food.
I am somewhat prepared for being with 3 kids for 4 days, as my niece and nephew stay with us many weekends and the kids get along so well together.
Yes, I am sure a huge tiff is going to breakout at least once...but that is
normal for kids.
Keep the tips coming...I can use all the help I can get!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter