taking kids out of school?

I am surprised no one has flamed anyone on this thread. I have read so many others where people are insistant that taking them out is WRONG! I have been reading up on these for my own selfish reasons... to make myself feel better about taking my kids out. I bought Daytona 500 tix and have to plan around that. Plus I didnt want to go during Presidents week. So, since DH is afraid to fly, my kids 12 and 9 will be missing 6 days. My 'awesome' neighbor has ridiculed me over and over. But other parents do it all the time. In my opinion, my 'awesome' neighbor would do it if she could, but she cant, so make me feel bad. My kids are great in school, and I am not one of those parents that lets my kids miss school all the time. My kids miss maybe 1-2 days a year, if that. I do not slack on their school work. So me and my DH have come to the decision, that they are our kids, and we will do what we want with them. I will make sure they make up all the work. I do feel like a jerk for taking them out of school, but the fact is, is that I dont know when we would ever be able to do this with our kids again. A once in a lifetime. Family means so much to us, and having my DH, DD, and my DS all to myself, is the best part.
thanks for listening and making me feel better with all the previous posts.

I took my 7th grader out of school this September,our school policy does not allow work to be given ahead of time.I had my son ask a friend who is very organized and a good student to collect all the school work and homework that he missed. It worked out great because he was able to get all the work made up without having to go around to all his teachers!
Was it worth taking him out of school? ABSOLUTELY!:)

Thought this might help people with the educational aspects of WDW ~ :goodvibes

School Excuse Sample Letter

DATE:

TO: [school official]

RE: [students name and vacation dates]

Please be advised that [student] will be out of school during the week of [date]. We ask that his absences be excused.

The reason for [student]'s absence is that our family will be out of the state during this week. While we are gone, we will be visiting Walt Disney World. We believe that [student] will be learning many things during this trip and that his education will continue in his absence from school.

Some things [student] will learn about:

* Different cultures of the world, including architecture, language, diet, and dress, by visiting the different countries in the Epcot World Showcase (Japan, China, Germany, Mexico, Norway, Canada, France, etc.) [student] will have the chance to explore the exhibits for each country and speak with natives from each country who work as cast members.

* American history by viewing the Hall of Presidents presentation in the Magic Kingdom and the American Adventure show in Epcot.

* Nature and conservation at Animal Kingdom.

* Science by exploring the Mission:Space ride in Epcot where he will have a chance to see and feel what it would be like to travel by rocket to Mars and by experiencing the Universe of Energy exhibit which teaches about fossil fuels, energy, and conservation.

* Economics by managing his own spending money and making budget decisions on how to spend his money.

[student] will also be learning about map reading by navigating in and to the different theme parks, as well as the resorts and water parks via the Disney bus system, sociological aspects of crowds including patterns and behavior, physics of the different rides, breakthroughs in technology at the Innoventions computer lab in Epcot, art and animation and the history of film, and mathematics.

We believe this will be a wonderful and educational experience for [student] and hope you agree not to charge him with unexcused absences as a result. If it is possible for [student] to take any assignments with him to be turned in when we return or to turn in before we leave any work that will be due while he is gone, please let us know as soon as possible.

Thank you for your attention to this. If you have any questions or need any further information, please feel free to contact me.

[Parent's Signture]

I'm taking mine out for 3 days before winter break. It was originally 2 days, but United screwed up our flight - I called and for no charge they were able to switch me to a day earlier. I have told my DS11-6th grade, and DD10-5th grade that they will need to have their homework done before we go. As I remember, there wasn't very much going on for the last couple of days before Christmas break. Feel guilty, no way! This is our first time ever going. I have a feeling that they may be missing a few days or so in the coming years for this same reason though ;)

My kids are grown now, but when they were younger and in school, I would never take them out of school to go on a vacation. But I think it all depends on the children and the school. My kids always had a ton of homework, even in grade school, and I felt like it would have been really hard for them to do the catch-up work. If other parents want to take their kids out of school for vacation, then that is their decision. I think every situation and family is different. You have to do what you think is best for YOUR family.

My 12-year-old, 7th grade twins are going to be off 3 extra days of the Thanksgiving vacation. They will have to work hard to catch up on those days of work and they have been told that the rest of that week and the following weekend will be an all-catch-up work weekend, and they will have to stay after school on two days. They think it's a fine trade-off, and so do I. This will be the last year they do that, though. I'm not comfortable taking them out in high school because I think the stakes are much higher.

This works for us. :goodvibes

I do it. Of course, my oldest is the only one in real school and he’s only in second grade. This year though he happened to get sick with a virus that was going around (he isn’t a child who gets ill very often—once or twice a school year) and then we missed two weeks to Hurricane Ike. I was really worried and willing to cancel—the trip is a surprise (we live Friday!) and no one would be disappointed.

I spoke to his teacher about it and she looked at me like I was nuts. She “weighed” on her hands school v. Disney. She told me I’d better go to Disney. She then went on to say that Hurricane Ike isn’t a big deal since all the kids are on a modified program equally. She also isn’t worried because his grades are top notch, he learns quickly and that particular week is filled with activities v. new material. She said when he gets back (district policy prohibits advance work) he’d make what little work there is up quickly. The only thing she said to do is keep up on spelling and keep a short journal for handwriting practice. Those are his two weakest things.

District policy does not excuse vacations explicitly, but allows for a principal to excuse arranged absences in advance on a person discretion basis. Our school policy says that kids have no say in the matter and generally can’t be left so they don’t punish the students for being pulled out. They expect parents to use common sense—not during standardized testing periods, or not if your child is struggling/has excessive absences.

I chose the time I did because we were supposed to have a day off for a teacher work day (canceled due to the Hurricane—adjusted school calendar) and it was a holiday (Halloween) week so I knew there would be a lot of fun things going on. DS’s teacher also told me how to evaluate school weeks for future trips (she knows we go every year)—beginning of the year when it is strictly review, holiday weeks when kids aren’t concentrating so no new material is introduced, never the last week of a grading period. She told me particularly any time in September, Halloween week, the weeks before and after Thanksgiving, the two weeks leading up to Christmas/winter break, the weeks before and after spring break, and anytime in the last 3 weeks of school.

Quite frankly, I find Christmas and spring break to (1) be too expensive and (2) too crowded. I can’t do the summer because it is too hot and I suffer from heat sickness easily, along with one of my children. We don’t get fall breaks and we have very few long weekends. DH also has work obligations that keep him from taking vacations at certain times of year. My parents always pulled us out (pre-attendance laws) and I graduated high school with a 3.6 and college with a 3.8—I was accepted everywhere, including Ivy League schools. Travel, even Disney, is educational in itself and makes for a much more interesting, well rounded person, imho.

I will admit I did have to sign a form sent home yesterday acknowledging what the attendance policy is. My son cannot go on to the next grade if he misses more than 18 days in the year. I don’t think that will be a problem. I might stir something up here and probably shouldn’t write this, but all the attendance policies do for many is make some people send their kids to school sick, getting other kids sick, resulting in more absences overall. If the *average* parent were “allowed” to make their own family decisions, there probably would be more kids in school on a daily basis. Really, the parents who are taking their kids out for vacation (any vacation), not for a shopping trip/hang out at home, are the parents who are probably pretty involved with their children’s education and wouldn’t be making detrimental decisions to their child’s education anyhow.

We did it Sept. of this year.

DS is in 7th grade and it was very stressful trying to make up everything when we returned. Turns out ALL of his classes had a test each day we were gone so he had to go in early every morning to work on making those up plus his normal make up work.

DD is in 3rd grade and was also stressed and worried about making up the work.

Our schools don't give you work in advance - they pile it up for when you return.

It worked out ok in the long run - DS got all A's and B's and DD got all A's but it was too stressful for the kids so we won't be doing it again any time soon.

Is anyone else planning on taking your kids out of school for your vacation. I'm planning a trip for Sept 2009, and feeling kind of guilty about missing school (especially my oldest - 7th grade). How does everyone else feel about it?:confused3

DO IT!

I'm sorry but the teachers have my kids seven hours a day at least and then even more if you count in the homework. My kids, when they are 20 years old, are never going to say "wow mom, I sure do remember all those days of fun home work. And Look at this great photo album of pictures you took of me doing my home work EVERY SINGLE DAY. NOPE -- but a trip with family is something they can remember FOREVER. TAKE THEM AND GO! (and sadly enough, you never know how long you will all be healthy or alive so as sad as that sounds, GO!)

Thought this might help people with the educational aspects of WDW ~ :goodvibes

School Excuse Sample Letter

DATE:

TO: [school official]

RE: [students name and vacation dates]

Please be advised that [student] will be out of school during the week of [date]. We ask that his absences be excused.

The reason for [student]'s absence is that our family will be out of the state during this week. While we are gone, we will be visiting Walt Disney World. We believe that [student] will be learning many things during this trip and that his education will continue in his absence from school.

Some things [student] will learn about:

* Different cultures of the world, including architecture, language, diet, and dress, by visiting the different countries in the Epcot World Showcase (Japan, China, Germany, Mexico, Norway, Canada, France, etc.) [student] will have the chance to explore the exhibits for each country and speak with natives from each country who work as cast members.

* American history by viewing the Hall of Presidents presentation in the Magic Kingdom and the American Adventure show in Epcot.

* Nature and conservation at Animal Kingdom.

* Science by exploring the Mission:Space ride in Epcot where he will have a chance to see and feel what it would be like to travel by rocket to Mars and by experiencing the Universe of Energy exhibit which teaches about fossil fuels, energy, and conservation.

* Economics by managing his own spending money and making budget decisions on how to spend his money.

[student] will also be learning about map reading by navigating in and to the different theme parks, as well as the resorts and water parks via the Disney bus system, sociological aspects of crowds including patterns and behavior, physics of the different rides, breakthroughs in technology at the Innoventions computer lab in Epcot, art and animation and the history of film, and mathematics.

We believe this will be a wonderful and educational experience for [student] and hope you agree not to charge him with unexcused absences as a result. If it is possible for [student] to take any assignments with him to be turned in when we return or to turn in before we leave any work that will be due while he is gone, please let us know as soon as possible.

Thank you for your attention to this. If you have any questions or need any further information, please feel free to contact me.

[Parent's Signture]

I love this! I might have to use it sometime :lmao: . My DD only missed i day of school for vacation this year. She stayed home to help pack the car. because we were waiting for DH to get off from work. i think it helped him got off work at 11 AM so we could leave :)

As an elementary school principal, I frown upon unnecessary absences. Our school is located in a high poverty area, and our children can't afford to be absent for many reasons. So, whenever I hear that students need to be absent because of vacation, I'm happy for them. I think it's important for families to spend quality time together, especially if they're going to Disney.:thumbsup2

I have taken my children out of school 3 times to go to WDW. I will be taking them out again for four days this November. My daughter is in 8th grade and my son is in 5th. Our school district has no problems with family vacations during school time. The children are responsible for making up missed work and are given 5 days after their return to complete the work. Our Disney vacations have been wonderful family time spent together. We enjoy going when it is not too hot or crowded. Taking kids out of school for vacation is a personal decision with many factors to consider. Most of time I consider it to be just fine. A few missed school days will be forgotten. A Disney vacation will always be a source of wonderful childhood memories!:)

And it is getting HARDER!!

Both my kids have been very strong students, but this is my son's first year in highschool. They are learning so much every day, I am worried, he is stressed...

I told all his teachers at the parent/teacher interviews last week, and they all said fine, they would work with us....

Normally we went the week after XMas holidays, but with his first set of exams we decided to go the week before the kids were out and stay for Xmas...felt it would be better for him.

DD is in grade 5 French Immersion and gets perfect or close to it on all tests/assignments!

We have taken our children out of school many times for family vacations. It was never a problem with our DD's, as they were very strong students. With our DS, now in 8th grade, it's been a little harder. He is very unorganized, and it is a little harder for him to get back into the "swing" of things when we return. That being said, we are taking him out again for a week in Jan to go to WDW. DH is returning from Iraq at the end of this month and family time is what we need right now. DS has promised to work hard on his grades and things have been much better this year. Our district host many military students and doesn't have a problem with vacations. Military families need to take time and enjoy having the family together while we can. DH and DS will golf, and do DQ together while we're there. Those are things they are most looking forward to. Good luck planning!

My daughter who is a senior will be missing 7 days of school this January for a Disney trip. She is a good student and has almost all of her credits to graduate.

I've pulled my DD out of school early for Disney trips the past 3 years but we always go Christmas week when there isn't much going on anyway. She's a good student and her teachers and I e-mail regularly.

I pulled my kids out of school for the first time this year so that we could go for free dining. They missed 3 1/2 days of school. My DS is a sophomore and my DD is in 7th grade. As the time got closer, I was extremely worried that I had made the wrong decision.

The school did not have a problem with it, and the teachers were very supportive and helped the kids make up the work that needed to be. Grade cards came out this week, and both kids did very well, so I worried needlessly.

Will I do it again, probably not. But I am glad we did it this year. :)

We took our DD out of 1st grade for one week at DW and plan to do it again in Nov. 2009 when she is in 4th grade. We do not feel it is up to the teacher to provide us with the work beforehand -- we let our DD know she might have work to make-up when she returned from our trip and she was ok with that. My DH is VERY against taking kids out of school for vacations, but since our DD is such a good student and we were celebrating his sabbatical at DW, we deemed it enough of a special occasion to do so. Next Nov. will be our 20th wedding anniversary trip and that is when we'll be taking our daughters out of school.

While my DH is against it, I am completely fine with it! Our views totally differ on this subject. The bottom line for me is that life is short. None of us are promised tomorrow. I want to pack in as much living into our lives as possible. The memories I have of our time at DW are soooo dear and precious to me and will be with me for the rest of my life. I wouldn't trade the experiences or memories for anything. What could be more important or special than spending time together as a family?????

We do it every year. We're doing it this December (4 -12th...though there is a 1/2 day and a full day in that stretch that they wouldn't have had school, anyway). We'll do it next September, to celebrate 2 kids birthdays and our 10 year anniversary.

Our school system is OK with it, we give them PLENTY of notice (usually 3 months or more), and work to make sure they're getting the work done while away.

For my money, this is a completely personal issue between you and your school system. If you think your kid(s) can handle the missed time, and your school system has no issue with them being out for a family vacation (ie: they don't count them as "unexcused absenses", and consider your child truant...or make it impossible for your kids to make up work), I say go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter