Taking Grandma along for the ride(s)...

Willabea

Earning My Ears
I've looked back through the threads and found some older ones on this topic (no pun intended), but nothing too recent, so thought I'd raise it again and see if there are any new ideas/options out there. We're very excited to bring my mom (67) on our trip this August. She is very healthy for her age, but honestly doesn't walk so much. She lives in the burbs and drives everywhere, so her idea of a long walk is parking further out in the parking lot at Target. :laughing: I live in a city and regularly walk a couple of miles a day. So naturally I'm worried about her keeping up with our family. Here are the things I've considered: 1) encourage her to stay back at the hotel whenever she wants (we're booked on site) 2) upload uber to her phone and "uber train" her so she can quickly/easily get back to the hotel when she wants to 3) rent a scooter? (I feel like she will be resistant to this idea, but from what I read on the threads WDW is a time to put vanity aside and go for it? thoughts?) and 4) plan plenty of "rest rides" into our touring plan. Am I missing any great ideas to integrate grandma into the fun? Thanks in advance - these boards are so helpful in planning!
:disrocks:

I would just tell her that this is a trip with no pressure and show her the transportation signs at each park and tell her once that when she is tired she is welcome to leave...no questions asked no problem. She knows her limitations I am sure and you go in with a dose of understanding. No need to make Uber a thing when you have free transportation back from a park. My parents (73 and 79 at time of travel in 18 days or so) know going in there is no pressure. We plan on three FP+ experiences and a TS meal here and there with no pressure. Works out great.

You can also rent a wheel chair for her if she would be up to that. I would give her all of the different options (rest breaks, going back, scooter, wheel chair, etc) and just tell her that she can do what she wants and feels comfortable with. Also maybe tell her about all the walking and encourage her to start walking for like 30 min to an hour every day. She may also surprise you and still be very spry :)

I've looked back through the threads and found some older ones on this topic (no pun intended), but nothing too recent, so thought I'd raise it again and see if there are any new ideas/options out there. We're very excited to bring my mom (67) on our trip this August. She is very healthy for her age, but honestly doesn't walk so much. She lives in the burbs and drives everywhere, so her idea of a long walk is parking further out in the parking lot at Target. :laughing: I live in a city and regularly walk a couple of miles a day. So naturally I'm worried about her keeping up with our family. Here are the things I've considered: 1) encourage her to stay back at the hotel whenever she wants (we're booked on site) 2) upload uber to her phone and "uber train" her so she can quickly/easily get back to the hotel when she wants to 3) rent a scooter? (I feel like she will be resistant to this idea, but from what I read on the threads WDW is a time to put vanity aside and go for it? thoughts?) and 4) plan plenty of "rest rides" into our touring plan. Am I missing any great ideas to integrate grandma into the fun? Thanks in advance - these boards are so helpful in planning!
:disrocks:
as a grandma who was a year younger last August, I did as well as the grandkids. unless your kids are used to the humidity you all may be in same boat. keep the offsite ECV rental numbers in your phone in case she changes her mind after a day or 2. I would use plan 4 for everyone

We took my grandparents frequently while they were in their 60s and early 70s. They wouldn't have ridden in a wheelchair since they were perfectly healthy, if your Mom is too I don't see any reason for her to ride in a scooter or wheelchair. If your trip isn't until August encourage Grandma to start walking around the neighborhood in the mornings. she's got plenty of time to work up to a couple miles by then.

My mother in law is recovering from major back surgery from the last 2 years we have been dealing with. She walks everyday. Right now the plan is we would love for her to join us in Oct (if we can go) and she will try and walk. Now we will offer her the ability to do wheel chairs and all since it is a lot of walking for her and i think she can only do 3 miles total a day right now.

Just a little walking around the neighborhood each day is also good for her in general.

You have received good advice so far. I have a couple of additional ideas. Make sure Grandma knows that she is welcome to sit out any experience if she is tired. You can then plan a meet up time after an hour or so. Every park has out of the way places to sit and rest if needed. My Mom spends an hour or so just "resting" with a cup of Starbucks and then rejoins the group. My Mom also chooses to spend at least one entire day at the hotel each trip. She says she is tired, but actually I think she is not used to all the noise and commotion of our family and just likes the break. Make sure the whole family stays hydrated if its hot.

What hotel are you staying at? I'm asking because some hotels have quite long walks from the bus stop to your hotel door.

You have received good advice so far. I have a couple of additional ideas. Make sure Grandma knows that she is welcome to sit out any experience if she is tired. You can then plan a meet up time after an hour or so. Every park has out of the way places to sit and rest if needed. My Mom spends an hour or so just "resting" with a cup of Starbucks and then rejoins the group. My Mom also chooses to spend at least one entire day at the hotel each trip. She says she is tired, but actually I think she is not used to all the noise and commotion of our family and just likes the break. Make sure the whole family stays hydrated if its hot.

What hotel are you staying at? I'm asking because some hotels have quite long walks from the bus stop to your hotel door.
Thanks so much for all the advice! We're staying at the Beach Club. Haven't stayed there before, so hoping it will suit our needs. Thanks again.

My mom is the same. We always get her an ECV. She is fine to walk around at home, but frankly she doesn't get much exercise and is slow. There is no way she could do WDW without an ECV.

I am 67 and go to WDW each year. I just slow down a little and take rests when needed. All of the above tips are great, but I would stress taking a break at mid day every day. It really rejuvenates me to just rest for a while, then I am ready for the parks in the afternoon/evening. If I try to go all day, I won't make it. I also would highly recommend that she start a walking program ASAP. I always do this, starting on the treadmill, then outside when weather permits. This is one thing that really made all the difference for me on my trips to WDW. Don't worry, honey, she'll do just fine:)

Can Grandma start training? Maybe she could start walking daily to prepare for the trip?
This is what my mom did when we brought her to Disney. She started walking 30 minutes each day. Four years later, she walks 90 minutes every day and is the fittest she has been in a long time. This Disney trip, she may be in better shape than me.

You guys are ALL the best! Terrific advice from everyone, and it is just lovely to see this thread about Grandmothers/parents travelling with family. Being patient and considerate of the energy and ability of every traveller in your group, from youngest to oldest, is what makes a successful trip, and many, many happy memories.

The answers are all here, and you will likely find yourselves following more than one strategy for your perfect fit. You may even find that it is the parents who hit a mid-week slump in energy and the grandparents who have been carefully pacing themselves can pick out some of the slack! ::yes::

I think it depends on your touring style. I took 2 grandmas to WDW last year in July. There's was a definite need for afternoon breaks. But that was true for my kids also (5 and 9 months). So we all went back to the room. Not everyone returned to the park on the evening, but when that happened it worked out well with leaving the baby to go to bed early. The heat was definitely an issue, so staying past lunch was not really an option for long. I think taking midday breaks with return optional can accommodate everyone on a summer trip

I am a 70 year old who has been going to WDW sometimes solo for decades. I had undiagnosed walking pneumonia 6-7 years ago and got an ECV because I just couldn't do it. It saved me. Since I've been going to Disney since the 1970s I've gone from being there from RD to end of evening to now not being able to do so much.

In the past year I've been diagnosed with nerve damage in one leg that pretty much permanently disables me. I now have a handicap car tag and have to accept that I have a real disability - not just something temporary. In some ways it is a relief. I kept thinking that if I tried harder I'd be able to do more. Now I know that I just can't.

So please don't pressure her to do stuff that she just can't do. I did that to myself for too many years. So hopefully she will realize what she cannot do anymore and do what it takes for it to work for her.

Thanks so much everyone! So excited to include my mom in this trip. It's going to be awesome. I asked her about an ECV and she was actually really interested, so long as it's not just 'Golden Girls' using them. No way, I told her, some of my Dis friends use them and they are all very young at heart!

We rented a scooter for my father in law who had knee surgery ten weeks prior to our trip. He was ok walking the first two days, but appreciated having it the rest of the week. He would not have wanted it at all if it weren't for the surgery. He was 76 at the time. Glad you offered your mom the choice.

I think Grandma will appreciate all the ideas you've generated but I would also ask her how she would like to plan to deal with all the walking. I'm a Nana who's pretty honest with my kids about what my needs are LOL:) She might surprise you and want to get on a walking plan now to get in walking shape for the trip.

Thanks so much for all the advice! We're staying at the Beach Club. Haven't stayed there before, so hoping it will suit our needs. Thanks again.
Beach Club is great for someone using either an ECV or a wheelchair. You can use the scooter to motor directly to the International Gateway entrance of EPCOT or the front gate at Hollywood Studios. Also, the walk back to the Beach Club is a short one from the bus stop if she chooses to catch a bus and return to the hotel on her own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter