Taking DS for his first trip!

tbone20102

Earning My Ears
I’ve been a lurker on here for a couple years and have just started to post. This will be our first Pre-Trip report! Background info is listed below:

ME: 27yr old Disney fanatic. My first trip to Disney was back in 2000. I’ve had several other visits since then as well as a stint with the College Program during the Fall of 2003. I’m currently an IT instructor at a local career college and own my own IT consulting company.

DW: My 24 year old wife. I believe I have finally managed to convert her… She looked at me with the strangest look when after she said yes I said “YAY, I get to plan our FIRST Disney trip”. Since our Honeymoon trip last September she has been hooked.

DS: Our 2 yr old son. This will be his first of many visits. He already knows most of the Disney characters and carries them around the house.

DMIL: My mother-in-law will be joining us this trip, both to help out with DS as well as to give her a break from reality.

On to the planning: Last year when DW and I were on our honeymoon we had a bounceback offer for free dining for this year. We debated it and decided not to book it (Kicking self now), as we though DS would still be too young to go. Fast forward to June of this year, I was really itching to return to WDW and was very impressed by how fast DS as progressed and grown over the past year. I asked DW if she wanted to take him in the fall. She was a little hesitant at first but I said we could take her mom as well. That sealed the deal. I’m defiantly OK with taking DMIL along; she’s filled a big void in my life since my own mom passed away almost 5 years ago.

We were limited to going in October because of when school breaks fall (I don’t get vacation during the terms but I do get 4 paid weeks of a year; APR, JULY, OCT, DEC). We decided we would stay at POP this time around. We’d go from Oct 17-Oct 22. Our original plans were to drive down from Northeast Ohio.

Our original plans were as follows:
Drive from NEO to Orlando, Stay at POP for 5 nights, drive back to NEO.

UP next changes, more changes, and even more changes!

Subbing to follow along. We'll be there the same time as you.

We took our youngest DS for his first trip right before his second birthday. He had as much fun as we did!

Change #1

After much debate we have decided to fly instead of drive. Even though DS does great in the car, I really wasn’t sure how he’d do on a 20 something hour drive even if we did it over two days. Now we just needed to decide what airline and airport to fly out of. Because of our location within 30 min of both the Cleveland and Akron Airports. We are also within 2 hours of Detroit, Toledo, Pittsburgh, and Columbus. After much trial and error we decided to fly out of Columbus and into MCO. This will be our first time on SW, we usually fly Continental or AirTran. I couldn’t pass up the price though; $69 per person each way.

The next debate: rental car or no rental car…

RENTAL CAR

There wasn’t much debate on this one. We’ve always either had our own car or a rental. Not that I hate to buses. We’ll probably go with Alamo as that’s where I usually find the cheapest rates. No doubt that it’ll get switched several times before October.

Up Next: CHANGE #2

CHANGE #2

Well 3 days after booking our flights I really go to thinking we may be able to extend this trip further. We are scheduled to arrive Friday Oct 15 and depart on Friday 22. The flight change would cost us only $20. I gave my pitch to DW who pitched it to DMIL and before I knew it I was on the Southwest site changing our flights.

UP NEXT: MAJOR CHANGES, including dates and resort...

Alright we left off last with changing our return flight from Friday to Saturday.

After checking the forums and reading the 7/13 pin code posts I had DW send her friend, who works for WDTC, a message to see if we had a pin code attached any of our names. She replied that we didn’t. However we still sat back on 7/13 and waited for email. Well the email never came, but I had our TA call and check all of our names and addresses still now luck. That’s alright it wasn’t going to make our break our trip.

Fast forward to the morning of 7/14 DMIL got the blackout date free dining pin. I called my TA and she was able to add it to our reservation and upgrade us to CSR with Deluxe Dining. DW and I spent our trip last year there and re really enjoyed it. With the upgrades we still saved $400!

With the savings I thought maybe I can get DW to stay one more night and depart on Sunday. She called DMIL and I was again changing our flight on the Southwest site. The best part the flight change didn’t cost us anything. I called our TA and had her add a RO reservation at POP for out last two nights.

So right now we have 7 nights at CSR with DxDDP and 9 day park hoppers, 2 nights RO at POP. So Saturday is the only day we need to worry about food OOP.

UP NEXT: Our ADR’s

HELLO!!!!! :yay:
It's the DW!!!
Here to help out my DH with some of the PTR stuff!

ADR's!

We had a very big debate over where we would be planning to eat this trip. We had to take into consideration have DS with us along with my DM. And figuring out what time to eat and where to eat what days and it was becoming all a mess!

We finally sat down, discussed where we HAD to go, and what places were expendable. And then we made a decision. That got changed around like 3 times or so! :rotfl:

So, without further adieu, Here is our week at a glance, ADR-wise! popcorn::

FRIDAY
We arrive around Noon on Friday October 15th.
No plans for lunch, since we can use snack credits
DINNER::
Boma! we are so excited! Though last trip, DH had an allergic reaction to some tree nuts, He wants to return!

SATURDAY
BREAKFAST::
Hollywood & Vine. DH and I have never eaten here. It is a buffet, and we picked it mostly because it seemed fun to try, and has characters for DS. DM (DMIL) is not picky and is up for anywhere we chose.

California Grill. DH and I ate her and watched Wishes our last night at Disney on our honeymoon. We have early seating for dinners (mostly due to DS), but we are excited to go back!

SUNDAY
Tusker House. We have never eaten here, but again, it is a buffet with characters, and I have heard good reviews about this place.

Garden Grill. DM is excited for this because she loves Chip 'n Dale! Again, it's character and a new place to try out! We are excited!

MONDAY
Chef Mickey!!!!! :yay: We love eating here! We had breakfast here last visit, and the atmosphere and laughter of children and adults made it a wonderful experience and we can not wait to take DS!

Yachtsman Steakhouse. DH and I ate twice here last visit. Our first night for dinner, and our last for dinner. We loved the food and can not wait to return! Our 1st night we had an amazing waiter named Oscar! He was so nice and funny and eased me into the first day with such ease! We were unlucky to not have him our last night, but he did stop at our table to say hello! I hope we get him again!

TUESDAY
O'hana :) Due to DH having his allergic reaction last visit, we were unable (WAY too sleepy) to make it to eat breakfast here. So, with DS and DM in tow, we will be attempting to make it there!!! DM loves polynesian type things, and I am hoping she enjoys this meal and being in the Poly! This is DM's real 1st visit. My family visited this past spring to watch my DS18 march her last Disney march, but only made it to one park. So this visit is like her 1st! :yay:

DINNER:
This dinner is going to be split. DH and I will be having a nice dinner, while DS and DM (DMIL) eat dinner. We will all be at the same resort, but just different venues.

1900 Park Fare:: DS and DM will be eating here. When I told her, she became super excited for the characters that will be there! Her favorites! :yay::yay:

Citricos:: DH and I are going to try this place out. We have heard some good things about it, and after a not so wonderful OR Romantic dinner last visit at Narcoossees, we have opted to not return, and try some place new!

WEDNESDAY
This day we did not change out of all the days! :cool1:Mainly because we did NOT want to lose our ADR for Le Cellier, and that day didn't seem like it needed changed at all!
LUNCH::
Coral Reef. DH and I enjoyed eating here because we love fish and aquatic mammals! We are excited to take DS because he loves fish as well!!!

Le Cellier!!!! This is the ONE PLACE I told DH that I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MUST EAT AT! I fell in love :love: with this place! The food is amazing, the atmosphere is wonderful, and the wait staff is excellent! My DM is excited to go too, she loves Maple flavored foods! :rotfl:

THURSDAY
Crystal Palace:yay: DH and I have yet to eat here, and so we made it a priority to go this time! AND DS will love the characters too!

Flying Fish. We loved eating here last trip! Our waiter was hilarious and wonderful! Dinner was delicious and we decided that we needed to make it a place to go back to!

FRIDAY
LUNCH::
Whispering Canyon. SO, I am not in love with this ADR. I succumbed to this because I know of DH's love of milkshakes. And since they have bottomless milkshakes, i let him have this one. I don't care for it not because of the food, but because I don't like attention on me when I am eating. And I fear public attention like this place gives sometimes. :sad2: BUT Oh, well!!! DH 1 DW too many to count! :lmao:

DINNER:
Jiko! DH and I thought about trying it last visit, but we opted against it. We just weren't sure if we would like it and wanted to try Boma instead. This time, we decided that we should give it a try since we liked Boma so much!

SATURDAY
This day is all up in the air.
DH and I know our sons love for Dino's as well as Mickey, and we have thought about trying out T-REX at DTD.
Nothing is set in stone this day. I think we have decied to just go with the flow and eat wherever! :dance3:

So there you have it folks! Our ADR's :) We are so excited for them! Like i've said, they were changed a few times, but I am positive that they will not change again!!!!

I'm unsure of what is up next, as this is truly my DH's PTR. I am just hijacking it for this post!!!! :) :rolleyes1

and I know i put on there that we had our last dinners at different places, I can not remember which night was which! We had our last night at Contemporary, But i remember eating our last meal at Yachtsman! oh well!!! They were both great dinners! :)

I know it’s been awhile since we updated so here's what’s changed yet again. Dining is all still the same as is our resort for the first part of the trip. We have however changed the resort for the last part of the trip. We were originally staying at Pop for the last 2 nights. However with today's new discounts we were able to move to CBR for only a couple bucks more!

I was scrolling through PTR's to see who was going around the same time as us. And although you are there after us, I wanted to join in your PTR since you are staying at my favorite resort. :)

We took both of our boys when they were 18 months old and they had a blast.

so our 1st day at WDW we added a lunch to our day::

Lunch at Kona Cafe @ Polynesian:cool1: :) So Excited!

either I or the DH will update with more soon!

Ok- DW HERE!!! Since DH has been busy with work and i finally have time to sit down and type:: Here is an update!!! (Since our trip is about 3 weeks away! :yay: )

So we do not really have anything set in stone besides our ADRs, but I drew up an itinerary to sort of go by for our trip. Here it is::

FRIDAY::
Fly in around Noon to Orlando
Get luggage and Rental car
Lunch @ Kona Café (either before or after checking in)
Check-in and get room @ Coronado Springs Resort
Relax, check out the grounds, “nap”?
Magic Kingdom? Animal Kingdom?
Dinner @ Boma – Animal Kingdom Lodge

SATURDAY::
Breakfast @ Hollywood & Vine – Hollywood Studios
Spend morning/afternoon @ Hollywood studios?
Back to CSR to “nap” or “relax”
Dinner @ California Grill – contemporary
Spend night at Magic Kindgom?

SUNDAY::
Breakfast @ Tusker House – Animal Kingdom
Spend time at Animal Kingdom?
Back to CSR to “nap” or “relax”?
Dinner @ Garden Grill – Epcot, Land
Spend night at Epcot?

MONDAY::
Breakfast @ Chef Mickey @ Contemporary
Spend time at Magic Kingdom?
Dinner @ Yachtsman Steakhouse – Yacht Club
Spend night at Epcot? Magic Kingdom?

TUESDAY::
Breakfast @ O’hana – Polynesian
Epcot? Magic Kingdom?
Back to CSR to “nap” or “relax” ?
Dinner-
DMIL/DS: 1900 Park Fare @ Grand Floridian
DH/DW: Citricos @ Grand Floridian

WEDNESDAY::
Use Snack Credit for Breakfast
Spend morning/afternoon at Epcot? Magic Kingdom?
Lunch @ Coral Reef – Epcot, Seas
Time at Epcot?
Dinner @ Le Cellier – Epcot, Canada
End night at Epcot?

THURSDAY::
Breakfast @ Crystal Palace – Magic Kingdom
Spend time at Magic Kingdom?
Dinner @ Flying Fish – Boardwalk
End night at MK? Epcot?

FRIDAY::
Check out of CSR and into Caribbean Beach Resort!
Animal Kingdom? Magic Kingdom?
Lunch @ Whispering Canyon – Wilderness lodge
Animal Kingdom? Hollywood Studios? Magic Kingdom?
Dinner @ Jiko – Animal Kingdom Lodge
Spend evening ?

SATURDAY::
Out of Pocket Meals

We are planning to meet up with family that lives close to
orlando this day either for lunch or dinner.

Take poll of where to go for the last day.
Disney Hollywood Studios?
Epcot?
Magic Kingdom?
Animal Kingdom?
Down Town Disney?

SUNDAY::
Pack up
Turn in rental car
Land home by Noon

As you can see, I want to try to fit in a time to relax or take naps since we will have our 2 year old with us. We plan to just go with the flow and see how the days go with him. Even if he doesn't "nap" but has some quiet time outside the parks, that's fine with us! :thumbsup2

SO, my next question is:: Where is your favorite place to eat out of all our ADRs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter