Taking a Disney break - what are your vacations plans this year?

100AcreWood

DIS Veteran
We went to Disney the last two years and decided to take 2019 off.

I'm trying to decide where to go this year. What are your vacation plans?

We've been to WDW every summer to 2015. This year, we're doing WDW without the theme parks. We're offsite people anyway, so we rented a 4 bedroom single family home just off property and are staying for two weeks. We're going to buy APs to the water parks only. We'll spend lots of time in each one, then do other things like day trips to Daytona Beach, Tampa Bay, etc....

I've been going to WDW at least every other year since 1983 and at least once a year for the last 5 years. I have no plans to go in 2019 but only because I'm semi-retired and my income has been cut down to 1/3 of what it was. We are also buying a RV in Jan. and plan on spending time in it, hopefully getting some dives in the Keys. We do hope to do some camping at Fort Wilderness but probably won't spend a lot of time in the parks since my honey isn't a huge fan. I've been going solo or with my son all these years.

We are going to WDW in May, but it's our first trip since September 2014. In the past several years we've done Outer Banks, Charleston/Isle of Palms, Nashville, London, Ireland, Punta Cana, Niagara Falls, Newport RI, Carolina Beach/Wilmington NC, and Virginia Beach. We've enjoyed all of them in their own way. Good luck with your planning!!

Well, we are actually doing Disney this year for the first time. Next summer (2020) we are planning on Yellowstone. In recent years we have done - Oregon x2 (love Bend area and the coast!), Redwoods in CA, Banff NP in Alberta, quick Wisconsin Dells trip, Norway and Dublin, a quick trip to the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, and lots of camping trips in MN. I’d also like to take the kids to Washington, DC and New York City in the next 5 years. And for my 40th (in 2 1/2 years) I have planned a trip back to Norway for just my husband and I. Norway is probably my favorite place on Earth. I love travel. My bucket list is huge.

ETA: I am really looking forward to World Showcase to “visit” the four countries I haven’t made it to yet.

Last edited:

AFter having a dd do 2 DCP within a year we are taking a Disney break too (AP for all of us got lots of use). But according to DH that meant Universal instead :rotfl: In fact here now waiting on son to get swim suit on for dip in pool. But actually have cruise to Cuba next summer planned. Unless dd decides to do 3rd program and then who knows?:sad2: I’d like to go west instead and get back to Yellowstone

Thanks everyone for sharing your plans! They all sound like fantastic ideas. I noticed two of you mentioned Yellowstone and I think it would be fun to take the kids there. How many days would you suggest spending in Yellowstone? I know it's massive but I would love some input.

bigeyedfish - you are a real traveler! I would love to visit many of those places. We've been to DC, NYC, FL (obviously), taken two Disney cruises and VA many times. I would love to see Norway.

We're going to Disney this year, but other types of vacations I love are cruises, tropical beach resort vacations (love Atlantis and Turks and Caicos), and skiing out West (love Vail, CO).

Vancouver and Alaska this summer. Dd started high school this year. We used to homeschool. No major wdw trips this year. We wanted something over the summer that all five of us could take together.

We decided to take a year off from our annual trip to The World this year too, but planned a Disney cruise instead! But I found I REALLY missed the planning phase of our trips and feel like we're missing out not going so I booked a solo trip for myself in March as a getaway and moved our annual trip up by a couple of months. We tried!

We're skipping WDW in 2019 and headed to California instead. We're planning 3-5 days in the LA area (with 3 days at Disneyland) and then 4-5 days up the coast and San Francisco (where my husband was raised and we still have some close cousins).

2020 should be WDW again, and after that I think our kids will be old enough to appreciate some of the more interesting places (like Yellowstone, DC, etc.) and we'll be willing to take them :)

Well we haven’t been since 2009 and we want to go back. Getting our oldest through college now it’s our youngest turn we have been cruising since 2008/then from 2010 till now. We cruise Carnival and it’s just no beating the cost for going to different islands and food being included.

My family went to Colonial Williamsburg in October, which was amazing, and I'm going to Peru in for two weeks in April for work. I'm really looking forward to that, since it's been on my bucket list forever. We're doing 9 days in WDW this summer (dreading summer heat, but what can you do? Schedules...) and ending with a few days at Hilton Head to recover from our vacation... After this we won't be back until at least 2022. I love Disney, but it's a big world out there!

We've been to WDW every summer to 2015. This year, we're doing WDW without the theme parks. We're offsite people anyway, so we rented a 4 bedroom single family home just off property and are staying for two weeks. We're going to buy APs to the water parks only. We'll spend lots of time in each one, then do other things like day trips to Daytona Beach, Tampa Bay, etc....
We are doing something very similar this year. Usually go to WDW every year. Last year was 15 nights on site. Was great but very pricey. This year we are ready for something different so off site, 2 day tickets and water park annual passes. Plus day trips to beach etc. Will save enough to do another Disney trip with those annual passes.
Beyond that, a week in timeshare properties in Las Vegas in July and in Cancun in Dec.
2020 will be our first trip outside the America’s with the kids, Japan; Olympics and Tokyo Disney.

Last edited:
We are headed back to Disney for 2019 but 2018 we took an Alaskan cruise and loved it.

We went to Disney the last two years and decided to take 2019 off.

I'm trying to decide where to go this year. What are your vacation plans?

I haven't been to Disney in 4 years. The last vacation I had was back in 2017 and that was to Atlanta. I enjoyed myself, as did hubby and son. Was going back in 2018, but I was let go from one school and not hired at another till late July so taking a vacation didn't seem like a smart thing to do without the guarantee of a teaching job behind me. I'm pretty confident I'll be asked back to the school I'm currently at, so a vacation to Disney in June is a definite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter