T-Rex at Downtown Disney is pretty cool

DVCcurious

DIS Veteran
Just got back from a spring break trip. We had a T-Rex reservation and before our trip I tried to read a review on here but I couldn't find one. So I figured I'd write one.

T Rex is pretty awesome if you have little kids who are into dinosaurs. They get a hat (similar to those burger king crowns they give kids) with a T Rex on it and they get crayons and a little booklet to color and the booklet also has some dinosaur jokes and word scrambles and things.

We have a DS3 and DD5 and they both loved it. T Rex several animatronic dinosaurs. They have a huge T Rex at the front, there are smaller T Rex's, a Pterosaur, Wooly Mammoth, Triceratops, and a few others. They move and make noise.

The food is decent and the pricing is reasonable. But you go for the experience. If you or your kids love dinosaurs you won't be disappointed. There is stroller parking outside the restaurant.

One tip: don't let them seat you in the dark ice-cave area. They tried to put us there and I told them that we'd rather wait for another table than sit in there. So our server said "Yeah, no one wants to sit here" and moved us to another area. The cave is dark and there are no (maybe there was 1 I didn't see) animatronic dinosaurs to entertain you. If no one wants to sit there why don't they re-theme it? I don't get why it even exists if it's so much worse than the rest of the restaurant.

I've always heard the ice cave is a coveted spot?

We sat there our first time and really liked it. We could still see a bunch of dinosaurs and the cave would change color with the comet.

Yes, ice cave is coveted in my experience. We have never been able to sit there in 4+ times and, when I requested it in November, they said it would be a minimum extra hour wait even with the Landry Select Card. My kiddo was (temporarily) sad we just didn't have the time to hang around but we were seated nearby so he got some of the color effects.

I am wondering if we are talking about two different things, OP. :)

It changed colors but it was so dark in there. My son is not a fan of the dark so we knew he wouldn't like it. At least if it's "coveted" we won't be brought there again.

The hostess did tell us that many people asked to be moved, so it can't be that coveted.

We too loved our visit to T-Rex. The food was good and servings were huge. The chocolate extinction was fantastic! :thumbsup2
We sat in the ice cave and loved it (but we've only been once so have nothing to compare it to). We have ADR's to go again in August (and a Landry card) so maybe we will try sitting in another room just for variety.
It is loud (but it is animatronic dinosaurs, so kind of expected it), but we knew that going in. Looking forward to another visit there:goodvibes

It changed colors but it was so dark in there. My son is not a fan of the dark so we knew he wouldn't like it. At least if it's "coveted" we won't be brought there again.

The hostess did tell us that many people asked to be moved, so it can't be that coveted.

Yes, I should thank you for offering it as a "tip to avoid" for anyone reading. I hope everyone reading follows your advice and maybe we will have a chance to sit there next time. :)

Op thank you so much for your review! We picked T-Rex as a surprise meal for our 2 ds on our arrival night in May. I too had searched the dis for reviews. We are excited to try it and know our boys will love it.

We've had great food there and a fun experience!

I've been trying to get and ADR on two weeknights for our trip and NOTHING has been available or become available since I tried booking, except one 9:30Pm we didn't want. I can't believe it! I was able to get a great ADR at BOG within three days of trying, yet still no TREX!

We've had great food there and a fun experience!

I've been trying to get and ADR on two weeknights for our trip and NOTHING has been available or become available since I tried booking, except one 9:30Pm we didn't want. I can't believe it! I was able to get a great ADR at BOG within three days of trying, yet still no TREX!

Call them directly. They give only a few ADRs to Disney. (407) 828 8739

Glad you got to go. I actually liked the ice cave since it was central to the restaurant and I was able to go to other rooms easily, but that's just me. Really hard to book, though. There were only two openings that day by the time I booked. Although the dinosaurs are incredibly inaccurate, paleontologically speaking, I still find it fun.

I have a lunch booked for my vacation in Sept. This will be the first thing I do before I go to MK for MNSSHP. Tried to booked lunch at 2 other places and were booked. So figured I would try T-Rex. Been to Rain Forest cafe twice and loved it. 32m and going solo. I love dinosaurs so this seemed like a good choice. Looks like a large selection of food. Im excited and cant wait.

We love t-rex. We went on our trip im December and it was fantastic. We are planning to return on our upcoming august trip.

We did not sit in the ice cave, dd would have been terrified. We sat next to a fish tank and she was so amused.

Cool place, but way too loud for me. We also wanted to sit in the ice cave, but there was no availability.

I have yet to eat here. My fiance loves dinosaurs and I promised him that I'd take him the next time he went down with me (conflicting work schedules).

Anyone have pics of this ice cave and the rest of the interior?

Google T Rex ice cave images and there are tons available showing the different colors it turns. It is fun. Very, very loud and food is ok but I have had some excellent adult beverages there that make the ability to enjoy it much easier. :)

It is loud, every 20 minutes or so there is an "extinction event" with falling comets and the dinosaurs get pretty upset about it.

I did read on yelp that people want the ice cave. Having been there in person I don't see why they would. Different strokes for different folks.

T-Rex is a family favorite and we ALWAYS request the ice cave! Lol. It changes colors throughout the meal. We think it's so cool (no pun intended).

Thanks so much for the advice! Called them directly and got the time and night we wanted!!!! So excited!!! Love the knowledge and advice here on the Dis!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter