Switched from Poly to Beach Club - Right Decision?

Hi all, I had a standard view room at Poly and switched to a standard view room at Beach Club but I'm wondering if I did the right thing. I changed mostly due to the possibility of construction noise/view but BC is also around $600 cheaper total for our trip. I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should switch back while I can or choose another resort all together. Here's our trip details:

-Two adults, two kids (4 and 7)
-One day at MK, one day at Epcot
-Hoping to snag a reservation at 'Ohana
-Wanting a resort with a small-kid friendly pool, easy park transit, and good food

Thanks for any feedback! This sub has been such a great resource planning our first trip. :)
I think it’s a good move. I really like exploring and eating at skyliner resorts, especially Riviera, and BC makes that easy to do.

Hi all, I had a standard view room at Poly and switched to a standard view room at Beach Club but I'm wondering if I did the right thing. I changed mostly due to the possibility of construction noise/view but BC is also around $600 cheaper total for our trip. I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should switch back while I can or choose another resort all together. Here's our trip details:

-Two adults, two kids (4 and 7)
-One day at MK, one day at Epcot
-Hoping to snag a reservation at 'Ohana
-Wanting a resort with a small-kid friendly pool, easy park transit, and good food

Thanks for any feedback! This sub has been such a great resource planning our first trip. :)

The EP resorts are my favorite, but given your details, I think Poly is a better fit:

1) monorail access to MK, walk to TTC for easy monorail access to EP
2) 'Ohana is at Poly
3) The Poly pool is far more kid-friendly than the pool at BC - zero entry, a slide that can be accessed from the pool deck and a kids' splash pad.
4) The only con of Poly is the food - there is better food, IMHO, in the EP resort area

With what you describe Poly would 100% be a better fit.
I also understand saving 600. With the ages of your kids I personally would suggest against an EPCOT resort with all the walking involved. I have a strong feeling the 4 YO will need a stroller. I will give another suggestion that is also cheaper then POLY: WL which will be cheaper very easy to get to MK by boat or bus and the MK area resorts. Very Kid friendly with pools that will not be overwhelming. EPCOT will be a bus but same as MK from BC same bus time etc but will put in front of EPCOT where the attractions are open in the morning.
POLY is our favorite resort for theming WL is not far behind if not equal but with a different theme. The EPCOT area resorts are great when your kids are older maybe teens as the biggest upside is walking to EPCOT and HS which we have enjoyed on at least 5 stays in that area. They however lack the resort feel, grounds, food options and young kid friendly you will find at all of the deluxe MK area resorts.
Poly has been one of our favorites, but so has Beach Club. Our last stay at Poly was late December and the hallways in our building (Tokelau) made me feel like we were at an old 60’s era hotel — peeling wood in the halls, stains, dingy run down elevators, etc. Definitely not what we would expect from a Deluxe.

also I find Poly very difficult to just grab a quick snack and there are several places to do that at BC.
Having stayed at the Poly BC and YC numerous times at this point this might actually be the most baffling take I've seen on the boards. Crescent Lake in general is rightfully pretty notorious for limited QS options even by its die hards, and imo BC is fighting the fake NY deli at BWI for the worst options of the three Disney resorts over there. Even after the Marketplace stepped it up. Meanwhile the Poly is one of the most iconic snack resorts on property.

Without even going to Capt Cook's, you've got Pineapple Lanai right outside the lobby, Kona Island has the most convenient pre-park coffee you're probably going to find on property besides the Joffreys stands at the TTC and CBR's Skyliner station and definitely serves more than sushi after breakfast hours are over, and the Barefoot and Oasis Pool Bars both serve more substantial quick bites until early evening. If you can't find a quick snack at the Poly I really don't know what to tell you.

Stayed at both and prefer the poly. Beach club is beautiful and a very comfortable vibe. No issue with it at all. Poly just feels more Disney to me, if that makes sense. I feel more themed and in the bubble. Beach club is not heavily themed. It is a beautiful beach like resort. Kids will appreciate seeing the castle from the Poly if they love Magic Kingdom but the pool at beach club is very nice and big.

Don't change it back based off our opinions. There is no wrong choice for a first visit. You are only staying 2 nights? Then keep the 600 cheaper room. You will see Poly when you go to Ohana. That way on your next trip, you can stay longer and switch it up, or even spilt stay them =]

$600 is a tidy sum. How many nights would factor in my decision.

Like if you’re saving $200 or $300 a night to switch to Beach Club, that’s what I’d likely do.

If that’s for 4 or 5 nights then $600 could be worth switching to Poly, it’s just a bit better in every category to us. For MK and EP access nothing is better. Rooms are bigger, bathrooms nicer, more immersive resort, etc. I actually like pools at Poly better too.

Both are great resorts! Can’t really go wrong. If you’ve never done either, they are both worth trying eventually. If you’ve tried one, it’s fun to try the other. I’d also compare the 2 itineraries, what extra things might $600 add on for you with the Beach Club stay?

The EP resorts are my favorite, but given your details, I think Poly is a better fit:

1) monorail access to MK, walk to TTC for easy monorail access to EP
2) 'Ohana is at Poly
3) The Poly pool is far more kid-friendly than the pool at BC - zero entry, a slide that can be accessed from the pool deck and a kids' splash pad.
4) The only con of Poly is the food - there is better food, IMHO, in the EP resort area
I agree with this completely, especially the transportation from Poly… bus to MK from BC is a serious downgrade for someone with two littles.

I’m assuming OP is talking about a reservation this year and not next year since Stormalong Bay will be closed for an extended period beginning in January… latest I heard for reopening in May, but that could always be extended.

I’m a fan of saving money when I can, but in this case I think I’d consider it money well spent and stay at Poly.

Last edited:
I own DVC at both Poly and BC. Love them both.

You made the correct decision for sure. Pool for the kids can’t be beat. Access to restaurants if FL skies open up (often) and, most of all, proximity to Skyliner and Epcot are insanely great. Hollywood Studios a simple walk or wonderful Skyliner cannot be beat.

Unless you are spending time only at a quiet pool or you have more than your set of eyes with you I would go Poly or as others suggested WL. Stormalong Bay is too spread out to watch a 4 & 7 year old at the same time. The 7 year old will likely want to go down the slide which requires exiting the main area or at the very least go where the water is deeper.

Poly pools are very easy to keep an eye on both littles at the same time.

The back entrance to Epcot is pretty busy these days, especially with the skyliner entrance right there. That being said, I would consider the skyliner a ride; I went on it more times than I had to. (I like the peoplemover too, though). I actually don't love the monorail and it gets old for me after the first complete loop around. I also prefer the back Epcot entrance for quicker access to WS and you will probably want to go on Remy

I vote for BC and use the quiet pool. And use that $600 for food!

Stormalong Bay is not small kid friendly IMO. The sand area is cool, but the rest of the pool is gigantic and some of it is quite deep. Expect to split up as your older child may grow bored of the sandy area. I prefer the Polynesian is every other way too.

But … for a $600 savings I would go with the Beach Club.

Frankly for an 4 and 7 year old, nothing beats Animal Kingdom Lodge. Kid friendly pool. Animals outside the balcony. The only negative is that you need to take a bus to both parks.
I agree about SAB. That pool is not young kid friendly. It is huge. BC is not a resort I would choose with young kids. The cost between the two resorts is relative to then number of days you are staying. If its only two, that is a lot of money, however over 3 or 4 nights? Poly all the way. It is a large resort but it does not feel as sprawling.

Honestly, I have stayed at both resorts and love both of them. With little kids and one of my needs being a small pool, I would choose POFQ if possible It is a compact resort, has boat access to Disney Springs and POR, is cute as a button and the pool is absolutely kid friendly. It has been a while since I have been to WDW and am just getting back here to start trip planning, so please forgive me if there have been changes post COVID to POFQ.

Count me in as someone who agrees with going to Beach Club.

The reasons:
1. Two parks within walking/boating distance, no bus required (Poly has only one)
2. Stormalong Bay!!!
3. Great dining choices in the area
4. Good quality rooms...did BC in 2019 and YC this month and can attest to both being great
5. To go back to Point #2...here's something I always tell people...

You can spend $74 on a Disney water park every day and have to deal with the hassle of going there during the heat of the day...or you can get a room at YC/BC and have that pool built in every day. If you're going in June, July, or August, you'll probably want to use that pool every day from 1PM until whenever the random ten minute thunderstorm hits. What you get at Stormalong Bay is actually better than the water parks IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love a good trip down Summit Plummet, but you've got a good slide with a far shorter line at YC/BC open only to guests of those resorts, plus you have multiple areas like the lazy river, the beach area, the volleyball area, parts that can be used for swimming, some great waterfalls, and three hot tubs--not to mention Hurricane Hanna's and Beaches and Cream right there.

There's also the equation of lost time to go with points #1 and #2. YC/BC is a 5 minute walk to Epcot. It's a 15 minute walk to MGM. The boats are relatively quick compared to any bus service. The bus could take an hour between waiting for it and riding it--and that's one way. That equates to at least a few more attractions at each of those parks.

Magic Kingdom is the one bummer here because you'd still need a bus, car, or monorail via Epcot to get there (assuming you have a hopper). I'd lump AK in there too but you're stuck with a bus or car getting there from Poly too.

My advice is always this: make MK your early day and maximize it. If you have hoppers, split it between two days: one morning day and one evening day. It might be good to combine it with AK on the evening day if you can hit everything you want over there in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter