• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Swimming with manatees at Vero Beach?

Oozma_Kappa

Mouseketeer
We are going to VB Friday, and I’m wondering if there are any good places of business to use that will take you swimming with the manatees or on kayaks to see them. Are there any good places to walk and see them? I just realized we were going to a FL beach during manatee season, and I’ve been collecting all things manatee since childhood. I have never been to this resort yet, and honestly just needed to burn some points this year, but this may be a new vacation spot if the manatee viewing is good! Thanks!

We always stop to see manatees in Blue Springs SP in Orange City FL. Its off of Rt 4, but not near VB. It’s a beautiful State Park. Here’s a picture from December 2019.

Closer to VB is Fort Pierce Manatee Center.

https://www.cityoffortpierce.com/211/Manatee-Center
You probably can ask at The Environmental Learning Center which is very close to the VB resort about kayaking where there are manatees.

https://www.discoverelc.org/

I LOVE manatees, they’re awesome! Sorry no suggestions for places near Vero Beach as we didn’t have time when we stayed there. However, if you’re on/passing by the other coast we had a fantastic experience at Crystal River, I’m sure there are various companies but the one we used (private tour) was Fun2Dive.

I LOVE manatees, they’re awesome! Sorry no suggestions for places near Vero Beach as we didn’t have time when we stayed there. However, if you’re on/passing by the other coast we had a fantastic experience at Crystal River, I’m sure there are various companies but the one we used (private tour) was Fun2Dive.
I have been swimming with them in Crystal River! It was amazing. We are flying this time, but we live on the Gulf Coast, so I do have a trip planned to go there when my 5mo old is older. We used Birds Underwater. This trip to Vero was just easy to book and took absolutely no planning. Just plane tickets and a room ressie lol.

I don’t know of any places locally. I think it’s just luck if you happen to see them arround here as people pretty much leave them alone since they are listed as vulnerable.

My son and his friends were kayaking once in Sebastian and a HUGE manatee came roaring out of the water and tipped their kayak over. It was quite a shock.

They sometimes gather in the waters near the power plant in Vero Beach when it’s cold.

I don’t know of any places locally. I think it’s just luck if you happen to see them arround here as people pretty much leave them alone since they are listed as vulnerable.
That’s good to hear! I get the Save the Manatee newsletter, and have been reading they are getting hurt more by the increased number of people boating due to COVID. I think I will check out the Environmental Center to see if there are some walking paths or kayaking available.

We did not see manatees, but went kayaking today in a beautiful area near Riverside restaurant. We rented from Paddles by the Sea, and they were great!

Attachments

• 078E7239-F44B-4860-9121-B68EE3EBA6F3.jpeg
    078E7239-F44B-4860-9121-B68EE3EBA6F3.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 4AB6913B-2779-48C5-A742-5B6A61AD21C8.jpeg
    4AB6913B-2779-48C5-A742-5B6A61AD21C8.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter