SWA policy re: EBCI

Susiesnowflake

DIS Veteran
I purchased my SWA EBCI in July. My husband did not purchase his until a month later, as he was waiting to determine whether conference dates would conflict with our plans for Disney. Checked us both in this morning for our flight tomorrow. I checked in first, purchased EBCI a month earlier than him, and got A 52. Checked him in 2nd, and he got A 22, even though his EBCI was purchased over a month later that mine. The SWA site says that boarding passes are reserved based on the time stamp of EBCI purchase. Would love to know how he ended up with a better boarding number than me. I understand that purchasing EBCI doesn't guarantee even an A boarding pass. And granted these numbers aren't bad. However, according to all publicity, I should have gotten a better number than him. Irks me some, because it is more important to me than him to get a seat that I am comfortable with. I'm not a big fan of flying and just feel comfortable closest to the front. I always aim for that 1st row. Fingers crossed.

Sorry, I can't shed any light on why you got the numbers you did but I think you could switch places in line with him without any hassle.

On my last SW flight there were 2 women in the line ahead of me....I saw both their boarding cards. The one was the number ahead of mine but the other woman had a number that was at least 10 after me. The stood there together and were allowed to board together.

I believe they give out EB numbers in order of price paid and then time purchased. ie, a Wanna Get Away fare would be behind people who purchased the Anytime fare. Was there a price difference in the tickets?

I have found getting the front row mostly depends on how many passengers there are with the blue assistance needed sleeves.

On my last SW flight there were 2 women in the line ahead of me....I saw both their boarding cards. The one was the number ahead of mine but the other woman had a number that was at least 10 after me. The stood there together and were allowed to board together.

on our oct rtn flight, a couple with kids (one about 3, 2 others much older) tried boarding as a group. the woman had an A, and the rest were in the B group.
the FA only allowed the woman to board with the A's, and told the father he had to wait for family boarding or B group. the father blew a hissy fit to no avail.
the FA received the thanks of all the other passengers, including us, who had watched what had transpired:)

When I flew SW in August they specifically announced that if members of you party had higher boarding numbers you could not stand in line with them if your number was not in sequence and lower. They did announce that you were welcome to move back and stand with the lower numbers of you party if you so chose.

OP, that is bizarre that your husband's number was so much lower. Did you ever figure out why?

I'd never try to stand in line out of place. I hate it when people think that is ok. I've said pardon me and gotten ahead of people that have tried this. Some people get snippy, but I figure I either paid for EBCI or got online at the 24 hr mark to get my place.

My husb and I have been separated before. We've always lucked out being able to sit next to each other. I guess this just confused me. Our tickets were similar in price, but I purchased mine a whole month earlier. Would have thought I'd get the better boarding pass number and not be 30 spots behind him.

I hate when this is allowed to happen. On a recent flight I had A35 and I had paid for EBCI. All the passengers were lining up according to number and a few of us were asking who had what number so as to not take someone else's spot. There were two women who were kind of standing off to the side of the line near me and I heard them mumbling about "not being shoved to the back of the line again". I asked one of the women what number she had and she just replied with "Oh we're in the right line!" I didn't say anything, but I DID see their boarding passes and their numbers - A55 & A57! When we started to board, I tried not to let them get ahead of me, but the one woman was quite aggressive and cut off the passenger who was a couple spots ahead of me. I made sure the other women DID NOT get ahead of me and she didn't. It's the principle. Anyways, I saw the attendant roll his eyes when he took the aggressive woman's boarding pass and saw her number. I really wish they would enforce boarding order, especially now that people are paying for EBCI.

I purchased my SWA EBCI in July. My husband did not purchase his until a month later, as he was waiting to determine whether conference dates would conflict with our plans for Disney. Checked us both in this morning for our flight tomorrow. I checked in first, purchased EBCI a month earlier than him, and got A 52. Checked him in 2nd, and he got A 22, even though his EBCI was purchased over a month later that mine. The SWA site says that boarding passes are reserved based on the time stamp of EBCI purchase. Would love to know how he ended up with a better boarding number than me. I understand that purchasing EBCI doesn't guarantee even an A boarding pass. And granted these numbers aren't bad. However, according to all publicity, I should have gotten a better number than him. Irks me some, because it is more important to me than him to get a seat that I am comfortable with. I'm not a big fan of flying and just feel comfortable closest to the front. I always aim for that 1st row. Fingers crossed.

I would call Southwest and ask for an explanation. This isn't the first time I've heard this happened. As emilymad said, I think they are also factoring in price but their website does not say that. Was your husband's ticket more or in a different category (anytime or business vs wanna get away)?

I have heard some here say that the price paid is a determining factor, but I don't know that to be a fact. There are basically three fares with SW...Business Select, Anytime, and Wanna Get Away fares. Business Select and Anytime fares are both fully refundable. Business Select gets priority boarding...A1-15, Anytime does not. There are other differences, but not as big. So, using price paid to base EBCI checkin doesn't hold much water. When flying down to MCO, there just aren't all that many people who have paid those much higher fares.
Wish I knew what the checkin was based on..would be interesting to know. In any case...OP, your dh can save you a seat, that won't be an issue. But, he will be, at best, the 7th person to board. That precludes any in the business select group who get 1-15, or medical preboards.

I also wish SW gate attendents would enforce the boarding group/number. Would be nice to know that those in front of me are entitled to be there. I have moved to the further back area in order to be with my dd when we get split up, but she doesn't get to move up to be with me..fair is fair.

EBCI is like this. A1-15 are business select. Next is a-list. After that is ebci. Fare class is king. Higher fare class cost is greater than time. In the event of a tie in fare and cost, first in line timewise in is next. Basically, if you buy a got to get away fare for 89 bucks, then get early bird, you are probably last in early birds.

So I bought my EBCI a few weeks ago, the day the flight was available. I bought wanna get away fares. When Southwest checks people in at the 36 hour mark, they'll check in the business class first, then the anytime fares. I'm OK with that.

However, I think when it comes to Wanna Get Away fares, I think we should be among the first checked in. We bought the day the fare was available. If the fare goes up between now and June, I don't think the people who waited to buy and therefore got higher fares should get checked in before us. That's punishing me for buying the EBCI when I bought the fare... which is how Southwest "says" they determine check in order. Am I understanding these explanations correctly?

That's correct. The all mighty dollar rules. you pay more to play, you get a better space in line. Buying in advance and giving them your money to collect intrest while others wait still penalizes you for buying the cheap fare.

EBCI is like this. A1-15 are business select. Next is a-list. After that is ebci. Fare class is king. Higher fare class cost is greater than time. In the event of a tie in fare and cost, first in line timewise in is next. Basically, if you buy a got to get away fare for 89 bucks, then get early bird, you are probably last in early birds.

Everyone keeps mentioning business select and anytime fliers. But....there just are not all that many of them. I have never seen the entire A1-15 section full before. I have actually been A1-3 in the past...that was kind of nice, but I did book business select since we weren't absolutely sure we were flying...better to get that 100% cash refund.
So....I don't even consider the A1-15 slots when talking about EBCI...it has no bearing in reality.

And in all reality, with so many people now buying EBCI, especially when traveling to and from WDW, it really isn't a huge deal. I buy it for my trip home so I don't have to worry about checking in at the 24 window.

It's really only those in the C group that have any issue finding two seats together...and that's really only the mid-C group. The A and the B groups have no issue getting seats that make them happy. This constant angst about paying for EBCI and only getting a B12 slot is just not worth it. Unless you have a group of 10 traveling, and they just have to all sit together, you aren't going to have an issue getting seats if you are in A or B, and even early C slots.

I agree with goofy4tink.

I can only speak to what I have experienced....I generally book late, like within 30 days or so of flying. The exception to that is our August trips we find that the cheap fares come up around mid June. I have always booked the wanna get away fares and the most I have ever paid is $119....mainly I pay $89. I started buying the EBCI for my return flight so I don't need to deal with it while on vacay and I buy the EBCI some time after I buy the tickets. Last March I bought it 2 weeks in advance. So far I have had approx the same boarding number....around A22-26. In March we came home from MCO and had A24 & 25.....there was only about 6 people in total ahead of us and some of them were in the A1-15. We had a similar experience in August.

When EBCI was first set up, there was a quirk in that if you purchased it early and then canceled before your flight, your boarding number was put back into the pool of numbers. (This was because the boarding numbers from A16-A59 were actually being issued at the time of purchase rather than 36 hours prior to departure as advertised.)

SWA says that this bug has been eliminated, and that it all works by fare class now, but I think that it is possible that it could still happen if someone canceled after the 36 hour mark. Since most things about airline software run on a 24 hour clock, I can see the possibility that the numbers that are vacated come open for reissue at 24 hours out, and that EBCI passengers who have not yet confirmed may be bumped up if that happens.

PS: As for the A-listers and business select folks who take up A1-A15, IME there are certain routes where they congregate. The slots are very often filled on the weekday LGA to LAX flights, and also on LGA-MDW, LGA-BWI, and on the weekday morning hops from from various larger mid-size eastern cities to hubs like BWI. There are a fair number of business executives who commute weekly on SWA between cities, and you'll mostly see them lined up at the A post on Monday morning and Friday afternoon.

When EBCI was first set up, there was a quirk in that if you purchased it early and then canceled before your flight, your boarding number was put back into the pool of numbers. (This was because the boarding numbers from A16-A59 were actually being issued at the time of purchase rather than 36 hours prior to departure as advertised.)

SWA says that this bug has been eliminated, and that it all works by fare class now, but I think that it is possible that it could still happen if someone canceled after the 36 hour mark. Since most things about airline software run on a 24 hour clock, I can see the possibility that the numbers that are vacated come open for reissue at 24 hours out, and that EBCI passengers who have not yet confirmed may be bumped up if that happens.

PS: As for the A-listers and business select folks who take up A1-A15, IME there are certain routes where they congregate. The slots are very often filled on the weekday LGA to LAX flights, and also on LGA-MDW, LGA-BWI, and on the weekday morning hops from from various larger mid-size eastern cities to hubs like BWI. There are a fair number of business executives who commute weekly on SWA between cities, and you'll mostly see them lined up at the A post on Monday morning and Friday afternoon.

A-listers are not included in the A1-15 group. The EBCI process has some holes in it that cause some odd BP numberings. We are A-listers, and on some flights there will be a person in front of us that booked a "wanna get away" fare and got a BP number in front of ours. I really think someone in SWA is just screwing around, but as long as it's not too egregious (sp), we can let it slide.

Very true. It's often very different when we talk about heading to MCO vs other 'business routes'.

I have a question....all this talk of A-listers. What is the definition of an A-lister?? I know that when I look at SW's site, and I check out the various 'perks' available to various booking groups, I see business select and anytime fliers get automatic slots in A1-15. Where do the A-listers fit in here??? Just curious.

Very true. It's often very different when we talk about heading to MCO vs other 'business routes'.

I have a question....all this talk of A-listers. What is the definition of an A-lister?? I know that when I look at SW's site, and I check out the various 'perks' available to various booking groups, I see business select and anytime fliers get automatic slots in A1-15. Where do the A-listers fit in here??? Just curious.

I just made the "A-list" about two flights ago and apparently it's after you fly 25 one way flights in a calendar year. For the remainder of this year and next year I get benefits that include basically "EBCI" which according to my last two BP's I got better numbers than when paying for EBCI (I got A19 and A20 this past week. The people directly in front of me were A-listers too.) I also have access to the priority security line and check-in counter at participating airports. Here's the Southwest link with more detail:

http://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/tiers-more-alist

on our oct rtn flight, a couple with kids (one about 3, 2 others much older) tried boarding as a group. the woman had an A, and the rest were in the B group.
the FA only allowed the woman to board with the A's, and told the father he had to wait for family boarding or B group. the father blew a hissy fit to no avail.
the FA received the thanks of all the other passengers, including us, who had watched what had transpired:)

I'm sorry but I think they should have been allowed to board as a family. We are a family of 3, DH, DD7 and me, I won't be too happy if we don't sit together. Why would it hurt to allow them to board together? I mean do you really want a frightened 7 yo who is upset that she didn't get to sit next to mommy AND Daddy beside you? I don't care where I sit just that we sit together.

I'm sorry but I think they should have been allowed to board as a family. We are a family of 3, DH, DD7 and me, I won't be too happy if we don't sit together. Why would it hurt to allow them to board together? I mean do you really want a frightened 7 yo who is upset that she didn't get to sit next to mommy AND Daddy beside you? I don't care where I sit just that we sit together.

Then mom goes back to where the rest of her family is. Simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter