• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SWA EBCI Might Increase to $25 on Aug 29

Shelly F - Ohio

Disney Extraordinaire
f you’re not a fan of checking in for your Southwest flight right at 24 hours prior to departure, Southwest offers a service called EarlyBird Check In that automatically checks you into your flight at 36 hours to departure. This ensures that you get the best possible boarding position — meaning a better seat selection — without the hassle of battling other travelers right at the start of the 24-hour check-in window.

Originally introduced in 2009 at $10 each way, EarlyBird Check In now costs $15 each way. But that flat pricing model is being eliminated in under two weeks. In a Southwest memo leaked to The Points Guy, we find that Southwest is moving to a dynamic pricing model for this service. Starting August 29, prices will range from the current $15 up to as much as $25 each way.

The pricing “will depend on a combination of two factors: length of route and EarlyBird demand on that particular route.” Prices will remain the same on any given route and “will not change by day of week or time of day.” Although, Southwest notes that it may “update pricing in the future based on route popularity and as the product continues to evolve.”
he good news in this announcement is that Southwest confirmed again its policy of not charging checked baggage fees for the first two bags:

Unlike our competitors, we provide our Customers the ability to choose products they are willing to pay for—like EarlyBird—instead of punitively charging a fee to check their first or second bag or change their reservation. Those fees don’t fly on Southwest Airlines, and we have no plans to change that.

What does this mean for Southwest flyers? If you’re a fan of EarlyBird Check In, you’re going to want to lock in the $15 each way price now before the change goes into effect on August 29. Since boarding positions are based on the purchase date/time, it makes sense to purchase this service as soon as you could — so don’t wait until August 28 to make the purchase. If you’re interested in doing so, head to this Southwest page to purchase the service.

The reports of people getting mid Bs even with purchasing early bird check in seem to have increased lately. As have the complaints about being after family boarding even with EBCI. I guess this is one way to address that. If less people will shell out the money, that issue might just take care of itself.

And it the price point is right, SW will still make just as much.

Thanks for the heads up!

The past few times we purchased, it was mid B. When flying into Orlando it really doesn't help because there are always a ton of families that board before B. So, we stopped buying it.

not to mention 20-30 people in wheelchairs and their traveling companion lined up for preboarding so why get EBCI

I counted 22 chairs last week for my flight

There was an article I read recently (wish I could recall who published it) That revolved around the abuse of wheelchairs to gain favorable boarding. The abuse is so bad that airports don't have enough chairs and handlers on staff to assist. Miraculously many of these folk who needed help to board were able to walk off the plane when it landed.

EBCI works best when bought with the airfare and not later on. I've never gotten anything below an A group, and frequently am the first non-business person in line. Speaking of which... off to book our trip!

On my most recent flight, which was for a conference, and was from IND to SNA, I purchased EBCI on the first day that flights were available for my conference dates. I ended up actually boarding dead last. One of my connecting flights was canceled, and I was rebooked and a different flight through a different airport after checking my bags, printing my boarding passes and sitting at the gate. SW did give me a voucher after I complained to compensate me. There is nothing to compare to sitting between 2 strangers for the 5-hour flight from Las Vegas to Indianapolis. But, at least I got to sit between to normal sized women. Which was a nice change from the time I got to sit in the same row as two morbidly obese passengers.

On my most recent flight, which was for a conference, and was from IND to SNA, I purchased EBCI on the first day that flights were available for my conference dates. I ended up actually boarding dead last. One of my connecting flights was canceled, and I was rebooked and a different flight through a different airport after checking my bags, printing my boarding passes and sitting at the gate. SW did give me a voucher after I complained to compensate me. There is nothing to compare to sitting between 2 strangers for the 5-hour flight from Las Vegas to Indianapolis. But, at least I got to sit between to normal sized women. Which was a nice change from the time I got to sit in the same row as two morbidly obese passengers.
That sounds like you hit a glitch in the system. Yeah, nothing like getting part way to your destination and being near tears in pain from having to accommodate oversized people overflowing their seats around you. Can't really say anything to the people themselves as most of them know and are embarrassed by the situation but can't do must about it. I once sat next to a man who had huge shoulders and arms. He sat on the isle, I was in the middle seat with my back bent into an "S" shape the whole way from Atlanta to Boston, thankfully that is not that long of a trip. It is 20 years later now and I can still recall the pain quite vividly.

Last edited:

I had to laugh at the post about using wheelchairs for extra treatment

we were in Vegas a few years ago and they brought 3 people off the flight that had wheelchairs ordered

they parked the 3 of them and must have said wait here someone will pick you up

well apparently the wait was too long cause after awhile all 3 of them got up and walked away--with no problems at all

gotta to love it

I had to laugh at the post about using wheelchairs for extra treatment...we were in Vegas a few years ago and they brought 3 people off the flight that had wheelchairs ordered...they parked the 3 of them and must have said wait here someone will pick you up...well apparently the wait was too long cause after awhile all 3 of them got up and walked away--with no problems at all

gotta to love it
The wheelchair isn't always or even usually due to being unable to walk. It's often due to being unable to walk long distances quickly or to stand for a long time. The exit from an airplane to the street is typically shorter than the entrance from a street to the airplane (no standing around at check-in or security, for example), so it's quite possible for someone to be able to manage a leisurely walk off, but to want a wheelchair on the way in, especially if there is any concern about getting to the flight on time.

The wheelchair isn't always or even usually due to being unable to walk. It's often due to being unable to walk long distances quickly or to stand for a long time. The exit from an airplane to the street is typically shorter than the entrance from a street to the airplane (no standing around at check-in or security, for example), so it's quite possible for someone to be able to manage a leisurely walk off, but to want a wheelchair on the way in, especially if there is any concern about getting to the flight on time.
I think you missed the part where someone needs to be picking up your bag from the carousel. I don't know of any airport experience that involves less standing after the flight than before, exception given to canceled flights and packed houses.

I think you missed the part where someone needs to be picking up your bag from the carousel. I don't know of any airport experience that involves less standing after the flight than before, exception given to canceled flights and packed houses.
Almost everyone stands more before the flight due to security at the very least, and many others also have check-in and stand around at the gate before boarding. A lot of people don't check bags.

I didn't miss anything, thanks. Was just trying to point out why some people who need wheelchair assistance at some point, might not need it constantly. Moving on...

Almost everyone stands more before the flight due to security at the very least, and many others also have check-in and stand around at the gate before boarding. A lot of people don't check bags.

I didn't miss anything, thanks. Was just trying to point out why some people who need wheelchair assistance at some point, might not need it constantly. Moving on...
I'm curious, where are you flying out of that has such long security lines and fast bag retrieval? My local airports are excellent with the former and horrid with the latter.

ridiculous abuse of wheelchair “status” to board earlier.
That would likely change if they were boarded last and exited last... in order to give them extra time and space.
Begrudge no one with a disability, but it’s abused and everyone knows it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter