• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SW fare release day- when should I pounce? (For SW or other airlines)

TOny is $180 one way to Tampa for me. Since it’s just DD and myself it might not be worth it. I can do a rental for $80 for the day and drop off at Tampa. Uber seems to be around $70-80 also.
Yes I have a party of 4 so worth it more for me.. $200 isn’t bad given the holiday weekend and the fact that it includes bags and seat selection unlike spirit and frontier. The only risk is if SW releases a cheaper fare.. given their recent track record, I doubt it, but could be wrong. You have to weigh the risk for yourself.

I just found the tony hinds info. And flights from Tampa to Philly are cheaper. 7:45 pm flight for $200. That’s not bad. More than I’m used to paying but it is jersey week.
You will likely make out by renting a car or using uber. I am able to “splurge” on Tony because I booked the flights on points with no cash out of pocket.

Yes I have a party of 4 so worth it more for me.. $200 isn’t bad given the holiday weekend and the fact that it includes bags and seat selection unlike spirit and frontier. The only risk is if SW releases a cheaper fare.. given their recent track record, I doubt it, but could be wrong. You have to weigh the risk for yourself.

If it were 4 of us i would most definitely book Tony. It would be worth it then. Once i add in uber or a rental plus bags i might make out the same just doing SW to PhL. I just wish they had their flights out already. I have to decide if i want to wait.

Last edited:
If it were 4 of us i would most definitely book Tony. It would be worth it then. Once i add in uber or a rental plus bags i might make out the same just doing SW to PhL. I just wish they had their flights out already. I have to decide if i want to wait.
Yes maybe you should wait. However, you’ll kick yourself if the SW fares disappoint and the Tampa fares get higher. But you still have spirit to consider to ACY so that could be an option.
I’m just happy to be done. Hopefully my gamble will pay off.

Yes maybe you should wait. However, you’ll kick yourself if the SW fares disappoint and the Tampa fares get higher. But you still have spirit to consider to ACY so that could be an option.
I’m just happy to be done. Hopefully my gamble will pay off.

This is what I’m afraid of.

Hi experts. I’ve never had much trouble staying in budget for airfare to Disney, but this year’s prices look high so far.

Currently American Airlines round trip Philly to Orlando in nov is about 500 pp (!!)

I will look at leaving out of a different city, or using two different airlines if I need to.

My questions are:
1. Should I expect American to lower their fares closer to the SW release date? (Hoping)
2. Historically, how do fares fluctuate for SW on release date and shortly thereafter? If I see something in budget should I pounce? I know about the credit if airfare drops, but doubt we will have reason to travel again within the next year.

Thanks so much!

When our flights for October opened up a month or so ago they were $96 one way. Within 2 hours they had jumped to $296 one way. And the next day they were $336 one way (a 1 hour nonstop flight). The $336 BNA>MCO is now sold out and there are longer flights for $280'ish. This was for a Saturday to Saturday flight. Because of the absurdity of this, we have changed our dates to a Tuesday - Tuesday and our flights have consistently been $88 one way. I am waiting until the June 3 day sale to see if they drop any lower. For the entire month of October, Thurs-Sun are insane. Traveling on Mondays-Wednesday can save hundreds of dollars.

When our flights for October opened up a month or so ago they were $96 one way. Within 2 hours they had jumped to $296 one way. And the next day they were $336 one way (a 1 hour nonstop flight). The $336 BNA>MCO is now sold out and there are longer flights for $280'ish. This was for a Saturday to Saturday flight. Because of the absurdity of this, we have changed our dates to a Tuesday - Tuesday and our flights have consistently been $88 one way. I am waiting until the June 3 day sale to see if they drop any lower. For the entire month of October, Thurs-Sun are insane. Traveling on Mondays-Wednesday can save hundreds of dollars.
wow - thanks for the info!

Thank you guys for the info. I will be flying from PHL to MCO in November also and can't believe how much the prices are compared to previous times I have gone to Disney. Will be sure to check at the end of May for Southwest. I never would have thought the prices would be lowest as soon as they drop. Thank you!

Every time I have booked SW, fares have started out mid-priced on release date. Then they quickly climb over the next several months. Somewhere around 2-3 months out the prices drop dramatically but only for a 3-5 day window then climb back up never to go down again. I've seen this pattern every single time excluding holiday periods. Have to check constantly for that low price window.

TOny is $180 one way to Tampa for me. Since it’s just DD and myself it might not be worth it. I can do a rental for $80 for the day and drop off at Tampa. Uber seems to be around $70-80 also.
Would love to use Tony but I just got a November rental car- pick up mco and drop off Tampa for $15 total. Can’t pass that up.

Now that the Southwest flights are released through November, will this be all the flight times they offer during November? Or will they add anymore flights?

On a related note, if all the Wanna Get Away fares are sold out for a certain flight, any chance they will add more in that fare class?

From their Flight Schedules page - https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/index.html?clk=GSUBNAV-AIR-SCHEDULES

In the past I've found Southwest fares to be the lowest on release date. It's been a few years though, so not sure if this still holds true.

I used to think this too but booked on release day for 2018 Spring Break and our outbound flight dropped significantly. We called and got the credit but weren’t able to use it before it expired.

We are traveling for Jersey week this year and I’m just going to wait and see. Prices on all carriers right now, including SW, and appalling.

Now that the Southwest flights are released through November, will this be all the flight times they offer during November? Or will they add anymore flights?

On a related note, if all the Wanna Get Away fares are sold out for a certain flight, any chance they will add more in that fare class?

One of the reasons SWA waits to release schedules is because they lock them down pretty tight. I think it is pretty unusual to add additional flights.

Keep in mind if you are concerned about the non-WGA flights going up, the other classes are refundable. So if you book Anytime or Business and WGA flights open up or the airfare goes down you can book your new trip and cancel your existing reservation requesting a cc refund.
I believe cancelling is safer than modifying to ensure you get a cash refund as oppossed to the difference being put on a travel fund for future use.

Keep in mind if you are concerned about the non-WGA flights going up, the other classes are refundable. So if you book Anytime or Business and WGA flights open up or the airfare goes down you can book your new trip and cancel your existing reservation requesting a cc refund.
I believe cancelling is safer than modifying to ensure you get a cash refund as oppossed to the difference being put on a travel fund for future use.

Good tip. The WGA fare is already sold out for the flight we were interested in. I read on another thread that SWA releases the fares in buckets so another "wave" of WGA fares for this flight should be released. That has not been my experience in the past, so just curious if there's any truth to that. The Anytime fare is significantly higher enough where we're ok with taking a different flight for the cost difference.

Good tip. The WGA fare is already sold out for the flight we were interested in. I read on another thread that SWA releases the fares in buckets so another "wave" of WGA fares for this flight should be released. That has not been my experience in the past, so just curious if there's any truth to that. The Anytime fare is significantly higher enough where we're ok with taking a different flight for the cost difference.

That was my experience last year. More WGA opened up and prices went down significantly. I re-booked all my flights around July and beyond resulting in significant travel fund $. That was for Thanksgiving week. I was very surprised.

Not sure what to expect this year, but will be watching! Good luck.

Not sure if this is a good deal.... 683.88 for three people to fly round trip from Indianapolis to MCO. Is that a good price for southwest? I'm debating between flying and driving... with having to get a hotel for one night on the way down around 150, the cost of gas which could be around 200 round trip, and cost of parking at a deluxe around 124... it only cost 183 dollars more to fly plus 8 dollars a night to park at the airport...not sure what to do....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter